zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

Just tested it. You can definitely slide store without sprinting.

You just need perfect timing.

What do you mean by "slide store"? Sorry if it's a stupid Q but just trying to make sense of everything :) 

What do you mean by "slide store"? Sorry if it's a stupid Q but just trying to make sense of everything :)

Slide storing is a technique from back when slide boosting was still a thing.

I won't get into detail unless you ask me to, but in practice, it lets you do 180 degree slides by jumping, thrusting backwards, turning around, and sliding.

Here's an example of it.

Slide boosting doesn't work anymore, but many of the associated techniques mechanics still do. Taking slide storing, you can apply it to techniques like charge/sprint storing, which allows you to maintain a max speed sprint after thrusting, letting you instantly charge while mid-flight.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

New jump, old jump, pointless jump? I think the thrust version can be made without clambering but I haven't been able to hit it, the timing is slightly trickier with the slide only version.

• Upvote (+1) 7

@@DanteThePyro its not bad, if you have it down I would definitely use it in game. It would have more used in Rig SH than Slayer though mainly because Open Field is used more and it takes you close to a super important part of the map (mid line)

Not to mention you can do this without wasting a Thrust which is big.

I am impressed going through this thread with what you guys are able to do with the movement mechanics even thought I'm not really a fan of they've been implemented

Keep this up beyond fam

I am impressed going through this thread with what you guys are able to do with the movement mechanics even thought I'm not really a fan of they've been implemented

Keep this up beyond fam

Should've been here when slide boost was still a thing. It's gone now, but we discovered a ton of fundamentals from it.

Should've been here when slide boost was still a thing. It's gone now, but we discovered a ton of fundamentals from it.

Lol i knew that... Just that i'm surprised at a lot of the minor things that have far reaching impacts on this game. Pretty crazy

Lol i knew that... Just that i'm surprised at a lot of the minor things that have far reaching impacts on this game. Pretty crazy

Here's another technique born from slide boost: thrust charge. [GIV-V]

In short, it allows you to charge after thrusting while mid-air.

It relies on two behaviors of thrust, the first being that thrust overrides sprint's directional vector and the second being that it stores your sprint level.

I mainly use it for traversing maps, but it's fun to use for long-ranged charges. A neat thing about it is that you can do a 180 degree charge if you thrust backwards, but it's more useful for forcibly changing your airborne sprint direction to get max sprint level before you hit the ground.

But yeah, a lot of these little tricks rely on thrust's odd behaviors, I just haven't gotten around to doing a write-up or documenting them.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Good stuff cookies4you however, it'd be cool if you can spoiler your gifs as it takes a long time to load pages with the gifs

Anyways, since Thruster has been talked a little on this thread I thought i would post my insight on using Thrust in battles and strafe in general.

In Thrust battles there is 2 questions I answer when i engage in a battle

1) What weapon does my opponent have

2) Am I winning?

The first question answers how I need to time my Thrust. If my opponent has a Pistol the RoF is different, if they have a BR, it's a bit harder, sniper is easy, etc etc. 

Because when you have a Thrust ready and want to dodge an opponents shot, the best way to do it is to Thrust right before they are about to shoot. And to do this you have to be able to time different weapons RoF.

The second question answers if I need to Thrust Cancel or am I timing my opponents shots. If I'm up in the battle, im timing my shots specifically so I can use the least amount of frames to win the battle and potentially have more health. if I'm losing, im timing my opponents shots.

If you're losing the battle you need to use the Thrust as a comeback mechanic. if you use it too early you will be screwed because after a Thrusts recovery period, you are stuck where ever you are and will most likely die. Use a Thrust when it will be most beneficial

Now, my (personal) bread and butters for my strafe.

- Crouch and don't move until weak then Thrust. This is pretty ambiguous as the burst of speed in a direction is really unexpected when you conditioned them already that you aren't doing anything

- If enemies are to the side of you, Thrust forward as you will most likely be out of their screen which is really hard to turn your screen completely before you die.

- Jump one side, delay your Thrust then Thrust to the other side. You conditioned them that you're jumping in one way and the Thrust going another can really mess with people there

- Initially do short strafes with crouch strafes then add a Thrust when you're weak as your comeback mechanic. 

Side note: time your crouch strafes the same way you would try dodging an opponents shot wtih a Thrust.

What i've been noticing Suspector doing (who i think has the best Thrust) is he will Thrust in areas that are really, really either awkward or unexpected. He does things that where the opponent is, he Thrusts in positions that are really hard to move your aim there. For example he saw an opponent in Coli on Blue bridge/Window while Suspector was on Flag. The opponent was to the side of his screen and he Thrusted forward because the enemies FoV would almost not be able to see him. 

Edit: Also if anyone wants to Octagon to practice their thrust you can hmu

• Upvote (+1) 1

Happy now?

yeah. not to be uptight about it or anything. But it really sucks when you just want to browse halo content and you click a forum page and end up using half your monthly data. not to mention the strain it puts on the server.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Can someone give me an in depth tutorial on how to use the SMG?

it looks like bait...

it smells like bait..

AND IT TASTES LIKE BAIT

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can someone give me an in depth tutorial on how to use the SMG?

It's an ambush weapon. Don't chase people with it, let them come to you.

I found something out that's kinda weird, not sure if anyone knows about it but you can jump around the map crouched the whole time moving at basically a normal walking rate without appearing on the radar. Only downside is that your left thumb is gonna go numb since you're holding down crouch nonstop. Doing this basically lets you flank fast without appearing on radar.

I went from one side of Coliseum to the other doing this crouch/jumping technique in 16 seconds. I went from one side of Coliseum to the other just walking in 15 seconds. I went from one side of Coliseum to the other in 30 seconds crouching. These tests should put into perspective how useful this technique is. I'm surprised it hasn't been used yet honestly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I found something out that's kinda weird, not sure if anyone knows about it but you can jump around the map crouched the whole time moving at basically a normal walking rate without appearing on the radar. Only downside is that your left thumb is gonna go numb since you're holding down crouch nonstop. Doing this basically lets you flank fast without appearing on radar.

I went from one side of Coliseum to the other doing this crouch/jumping technique in 16 seconds. I went from one side of Coliseum to the other just walking in 15 seconds. I went from one side of Coliseum to the other in 30 seconds crouching. These tests should put into perspective how useful this technique is. I'm surprised it hasn't been used yet honestly.

I believe this works because radar is speed-based, not move-state based. You can achieve the same effect by walking slowly while also jumping.

Jumping itself won't reveal you, you have to be moving at a certain speed for that to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I believe this works because radar is speed-based, not move-state based. You can achieve the same effect by walking slowly while also jumping.

Jumping itself won't reveal you, you have to be moving at a certain speed for that to happen.

I feel like that would be a lot harder to pull off while slowly walking though. I'd personally probably press the stick too hard and reveal myself cuz of it. 

Anyways the main point of this technique is to fast flank without appearing on radar. 

SSHHHHHHHHH been using this for over 2 months.. y u gotta share?  SHH

I feel like that would be a lot harder to pull off while slowly walking though. I'd personally probably press the stick too hard and reveal myself cuz of it.

Anyways the main point of this technique is to fast flank without appearing on radar.

Obviously this is an example of 343 stealing shit from other franchises, Dishonored in this case :Kappa

So is there a place to find out how to do things like glitch powerups? I usually press weapon change button right as I pick it up but that doesn't seem to be as quick as what I just saw spartan do on stream. 

So is there a place to find out how to do things like glitch powerups? I usually press weapon change button right as I pick it up but that doesn't seem to be as quick as what I just saw spartan do on stream. 

There are two known methods to doing instant powerup.

My method, which uses input queing, and the better-known melee cancel method.

For input queing, just thrust towards the powerup and hold your pickup and melee button (RB + B for Recon, for example).

For the melee cancel method, tap the melee button at the same time you pick up the powerup. It's difficult to get the timing, but there's a more reliable version of this technique that uses two melees. To do the double melee method, melee once and then pick up the powerup while you're in the melee animation, then simply spam the melee button and the pickup animation should cancel.

As a note, you can't use the melee method while sprinting, since you'll charge. Likewise, the input que method requires you to thrust, but it can be done from anywhere.

• Upvote (+1) 1