zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

I will, hopefully, start working on a video tonight/tomorrow. It is going to cover basic strafe techniques, thruster use, and some more basics. Some more general knowledge vids after that, like basic spawn control, before finally doing the map specific videos showing setups and the like.

Thrust cancel is recycling frames so after you shoot a shot, you thrust the instant after you shoot and hold RT while thrusting so you reduce the amount of frames you are on the Thruster Recovery period (Does that make sense?). I posted in my Thruster guide somewhere about this if you are still confused (it has a video as well) 

I can try explaining how I play Fathom CTF and probably what they were doing in a sort of order of priority

> Have control of your Tree/BR

> Control Top Mid or enemy Pit(someone stay, maybe 2 for top mid)

> Control enemy Tree/BR

> Slay

> Watch Silo spawns

>Run flag while slaying. Either run the flag top mid from Tree or run straight to Pit (most ideal)

> get cutoffs especially for BR because enemies will fly to grab your flag

A somewhat longer version (though not really)  you need to make sure any enemies on your side are dead. This is 1st priority. Once you have some control of your side, you really need to make sure your BR/Tree is good. You want control of that because you can pop shot their silo and hit their Porch. However you want to have top mid control and idealy with Rail or LR. At this point enemies will retaliate at you by pushing their Pit/Tree and you need to predict this/be ready and slay them. Toss nades, shoot Rail, etc and pinch them on their BR/Tree. Once you slay them and you stay at BR, they will spawn Silo because most likely you will have one in their Lobby (if you have no one near Lobby they might spawn SMG/Lobby IIRC) and you slay them while probably one runs to your BR which top mid guy needs to be planning his route before they spawn (personally what I do is run to Tree and go to our sneak while waiting for them to push BR. Really situational tho) 

okay i'll look for the thrust cancel video. the fathom setup you've described sounds like what a friend described to me.  I've been trying to play team arena instead of slayer and especially when i'm with randoms I'm not sure how to make myself useful in CTF/ strongholds (ctf has been terrible for me, but I broke a terrible fathom ctf losing spree last night by just sitting top mid and slaying while my teammates ran the flag)

I will, hopefully, start working on a video tonight/tomorrow. It is going to cover basic strafe techniques, thruster use, and some more basics. Some more general knowledge vids after that, like basic spawn control, before finally doing the map specific videos showing setups and the like.

stoked

@ thanks man, appreciate the response either way.

Yeah, I'll implement that into my play best I can next time I'm on. Problem is that I have a rule to not use BR's ever. (Don't judge me)

I've had to really adjust how I play on maps like Coliseum/Truth where there are portions of the map where I'm not really effective compared to others that frequently pick up DMRs and BR's.

Also, I get your viewpoint on situations in Halo. Feels like alot of people don't understand how the FGC views their specific games and how to improve on them.

I will say that people in the Halo community are much less willing to blame their bad play than just say something is broken or "ass."

I will say that people in the Halo community are much less willing to blame their bad play than just say something is broken or "ass."

damn son this opinion is broken and unbalanced.

@@Justin 3ber - I look forward to those vids!

what's the beef with BR? because it's "too easy to use" or whatever?

also i am freaking garbage with the pistol and can rarely 5-shot which drives me nuts

also i am freaking garbage with the pistol and can rarely 5-shot which drives me nuts

People have beef with the BR because it kills quicker, has more range, and is easier to use than the Pistol.

In my opinion, the BR would be fine in the right environment, but right now there are just too many weapons on map so it makes Pistol vs. BR gunfights seem random.

People want to keep the pistol because it takes more skill (which it does). The problem is it can't keep autos in check and it pretty much gets shit on by the entire sandbox.

People have beef with the BR because it kills quicker, has more range, and is easier to use than the Pistol.

In my opinion, the BR would be fine in the right environment, but right now there are just too many weapons on map so it makes Pistol vs. BR gunfights seem random.

Yeah the ease of use is the main bit. I don't know what it is, but the BR is just so much easier to use than all of the other rifles. Leagues easier in fact.

@ thanks man, appreciate the response either way.

Yeah, I'll implement that into my play best I can next time I'm on. Problem is that I have a rule to not use BR's ever. (Don't judge me)

I've had to really adjust how I play on maps like Coliseum/Truth where there are portions of the map where I'm not really effective compared to others that frequently pick up DMRs and BR's.

Also, I get your viewpoint on situations in Halo. Feels like alot of people don't understand how the FGC views their specific games and how to improve on them.

No worries, if you're not using the BR though make sure you aren't in LoS that you personally cant hit. Be more in your face if you like. So for example when you have control of Snipe on Coli, push up to the enemy cave area or their BR and place shots while teammates are s3 and the like.

Yea it's a bit annoying but I am from a different community so I cant really complain much on that.

The problem with complaining the game is broken/ass is this really hinders you when you are trying to improve. I get that people are upset about the game, that's fine and cool. The problem is that you aren't finding a solution to a problem and therefor, not improving as a player or a team. If I'm on enemy Bubble on Truth and the enemy spawns at their bubble, my first reaction (as a tounrament/competitive player) shouldn't be "wow this game sucks" but you eally need to make the approach more "OK something wrong happened, what caused this because this shouldn't be happening" You review the tape and guess what? Your friend ran to their Basement forcing Bubble spawns. Now when that situation occurs again (it really shouldn't), you should adapt to the situation and prepare for the encounter. Personally the best way I think of fixing that encounter as much as possible is going back to Car 2 and tossing nades at Bubble.

Complaining is fine, but the problem that occurs is you're hindering yourself from improving when you're knee jerk reaction is the game must suck but you yourself might have messed up somewhere in the order of things. Which is fine, it happens to all of us but the best players are usually the ones who problem solve the situations and make answers for them.

Basically

Practice and whatnot and be in the zen brah. Don't be on tilt, worried, etc just place those shots calm and cool. Practice some octagon 

Also sorry for not accepting invites, im usually with a to4 so I cant really throw you in unless someone leaves

• Upvote (+1) 2

okay i'll look for the thrust cancel video. the fathom setup you've described sounds like what a friend described to me.  I've been trying to play team arena instead of slayer and especially when i'm with randoms I'm not sure how to make myself useful in CTF/ strongholds (ctf has been terrible for me, but I broke a terrible fathom ctf losing spree last night by just sitting top mid and slaying while my teammates ran the flag)

Yea playing with randoms can be pretty bad. I'd recommend finding  a group of 4 that are on relatively regularly that are on your level and improve together.  Maybe just add some people you like from MM? Idk That's what I used to do. If we have space in my lobby though and I see you on, I'll try throwing you in there (just know we're all like 1700-2000 Onyx level). Most of us don't really care for our ranks and if someone does, they'll just hop on their alt so you're more than welcome to play with us if we have space.

Though I have been thinking of just getting my diamond/plat/low onyx friends all together a few times a week while we discuss strats and the like since I think I am pretty confident on those levels to try teaching you guys what you need to do. We could always review tapes as well 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah the ease of use is the main bit. I don't know what it is, but the BR is just so much easier to use than all of the other rifles. Leagues easier in fact.

I wouldn't say Leagues. In fact I rarely pick up BRs/DMRs, something about the Pistol is a lot more comfortable for me.

However there is one myth that frustrates me beyond belief. The BR does not have heaps and loads of aim assist. It does when compared to the Pistol or Light Rifle but its still probably Top 1-2 hardest BRs to use in the franchise.

Though I have been thinking of just getting my diamond/plat/low onyx friends all together a few times a week while we discuss strats and the like since I think I am pretty confident on those levels to try teaching you guys what you need to do. We could always review tapes as well 

I would be super down to do that actually. I have you added so if you ever plan on doing that please send an invite down my way.

I wouldn't say Leagues. In fact I rarely pick up BRs/DMRs, something about the Pistol is a lot more comfortable for me.

However there is one myth that frustrates me beyond belief. The BR does not have heaps and loads of aim assist. It does when compared to the Pistol or Light Rifle but its still probably Top 1-2 hardest BRs to use in the franchise.

The Pistol is much more comfortable for me as well. Still, the BR is easy and extremely forgiving to use. Especially with it's zoomed RRR + Magnetism. Yeah I don't think it's the aim assist but the magnetism tuning on the BR as well. Still, the nature of the BR's burst fire makes it crazy good at putting damage onto enemies rather than pure hit/miss. While I'm all for putting damage onto enemies and making them weak, I don't believe partial rewards on precision weapons should be a thing in Halo.

No worries, if you're not using the BR though make sure you aren't in LoS that you personally cant hit. Be more in your face if you like. So for example when you have control of Snipe on Coli, push up to the enemy cave area or their BR and place shots while teammates are s3 and the like.

Yea it's a bit annoying but I am from a different community so I cant really complain much on that.

The problem with complaining the game is broken/ass is this really hinders you when you are trying to improve. I get that people are upset about the game, that's fine and cool. The problem is that you aren't finding a solution to a problem and therefor, not improving as a player or a team. If I'm on enemy Bubble on Truth and the enemy spawns at their bubble, my first reaction (as a tounrament/competitive player) shouldn't be "wow this game sucks" but you eally need to make the approach more "OK something wrong happened, what caused this because this shouldn't be happening" You review the tape and guess what? Your friend ran to their Basement forcing Bubble spawns. Now when that situation occurs again (it really shouldn't), you should adapt to the situation and prepare for the encounter. Personally the best way I think of fixing that encounter as much as possible is going back to Car 2 and tossing nades at Bubble.

Complaining is fine, but the problem that occurs is you're hindering yourself from improving when you're knee jerk reaction is the game must suck but you yourself might have messed up somewhere in the order of things. Which is fine, it happens to all of us but the best players are usually the ones who problem solve the situations and make answers for them.

Basically

Practice and whatnot and be in the zen brah. Don't be on tilt, worried, etc just place those shots calm and cool. Practice some octagon 

Also sorry for not accepting invites, im usually with a to4 so I cant really throw you in unless someone leaves

oh who are you? i added some beyonders and not sure who is who, when i get on i jsut send invites to people and try and get a group going because like

randoms are a gamble

also i haven't even done octagon before

one of my problems is that my boys who play are on the casual side, like they want to do well but just aren't as into learning how to do that as much, so stuff like the octagon and warmups are sort of not their thing (plus it's hard to get everyone together at a certain time)

Yea playing with randoms can be pretty bad. I'd recommend finding  a group of 4 that are on relatively regularly that are on your level and improve together.  Maybe just add some people you like from MM? Idk That's what I used to do. If we have space in my lobby though and I see you on, I'll try throwing you in there (just know we're all like 1700-2000 Onyx level). Most of us don't really care for our ranks and if someone does, they'll just hop on their alt so you're more than welcome to play with us if we have space.

would love literally any of that

i've sort of hit a point where I was playing to support my team, and making sure i'm not the "Reason" we lose, and as I got better realized I needed to be a Reason we win, so i'm trying to balance those things out right now, being aggressive when I should and patient when I should.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would be super down to do that actually. I have you added so if you ever plan on doing that please send an invite down my way.

Word, I'll try figuring out how to do this but I think I have 2 more that would be good fits as I'm already teaching one anyways. 

What I have been thinking is making a Discord chat where a bunch of "Teachers" and "Students" are all in there so we can basically have a hub of players to play with. I dunno if I have enough people for tha though lol

oh who are you? i added some beyonders and not sure who is who, when i get on i jsut send invites to people and try and get a group going because like

randoms are a gamble

also i haven't even done octagon before

one of my problems is that my boys who play are on the casual side, like they want to do well but just aren't as into learning how to do that as much, so stuff like the octagon and warmups are sort of not their thing (plus it's hard to get everyone together at a certain time)

Lol my bad. My GT is xWicked Swami I recall playing with you a few times

And yup, why I don't like running solo :P

I'll play Octagon with you, I'd say I'm decent at Octagon and you can get some Pistol practice

And this is why you find some new internet buddies to play with at times lol

Actually I just made the Discord chat just for the heck of it

If anyone wants to join to try getting better at the game or helping players out getting better, join the Discord chat! You don't have to sign up or anything and there is a browser version of Discord so you don't have to DL anything

Basically what I want is a place for players who all have the intention to get better at the game have a chat full of players all looking for the same thing

Discord Chat Link. It's my teams Discord chat but we're also making it a hub to help players get better at the game. you're all welcome to join :)

https://discord.gg/0nwrD5eex84e9oIq

• Upvote (+1) 7

Actually I just made the Discord chat just for the heck of it

If anyone wants to join to try getting better at the game or helping players out getting better, join the Discord chat! You don't have to sign up or anything and there is a browser version of Discord so you don't have to DL anything

Basically what I want is a place for players who all have the intention to get better at the game have a chat full of players all looking for the same thing

Discord Chat Link. It's my teams Discord chat but we're also making it a hub to help players get better at the game

https://discord.gg/0nwrD5eex83Rg04Z

DOPE

Ended up making the first "Get Good" video tonight. It's super super super basic so most of you probably don't need to watch it (though I appreciate the support if you do!).

Talked it over with my buddies and the next video is gonna be on spawn control since you can actually do that without needing your teammates (though they definitely help).

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have never seen so many helpful people playing halo, EVER. Just wanted to say that I appreciate what you guys are doing and helpful threads like this will definitely help the Halo community grow.

• Upvote (+1) 2