zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

SOOOOO FUCKING MAD THESE GOT REMOVED.

Thanks a million to all you guys who had posted all these videos and boosts. These kind of specific movement techniques made the game very enjoyable to me and the ones you guys found were insane. You guys should be beta testing their games lol.

No more fast fall or slideboost. Looks like I'm asking Bun to teach me thrust launches and Bump thrusts better

I can never get those.. on anywhere. I guess I'll have to learn them as well.

Fuck. Well, time to find some other glitch to exploit.

You've probably seen it, but people are jumping and then using a thruster on a slight bump to get launched up. I can't really think of any specific places but I don't exactly think you need a slope, you can just hit an edge on the right angle and get boosted. So an example is on Rigs in basement, after you jump up from sewer you are somewhat below Catwalk. Theres a box near there with prometheon nades. If you thrust into the edge of that box it can launch you up onto catwalk.

I cannot do these at all.

• Upvote (+1) 7

teapot we must have a practice session today. If I can't do super slides I'm going to have to master something else

I'm still sad tho...I had such a cool clip with fathoms super slide ready for my teams montage :'(

I wish the slide boost hadn't been removed. Ugh. It added so much to the game for players to master. I would have understood it better if it was an inconsistent thing but this was basically 343's version of the doubleshot/BxR and they got rid of it rather than embracing it and making it a widely known thing. Hell they could have figured out how to make it work without changing any of the settings (maintain sprint/toggle crouch) and made a video to play in between any of the HCS/HWC matches. 

Oh well, time to master bump boosting I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Inb4 that gets fixed too... I loves keeping an eat out for objects that looked like they could be slide boosted.

RIP old friend, I knew ye well.

SOOOOO FUCKING MAD THESE GOT

I cannot do these at all.

Dude... I know. I'm so sad. :(

I can do some bumps but I need some practice too. If anyone is hosting a lobby at any point to practice, hit up Devaneaux. AT's are like one of my favorite things in Halo.

Okay fam, this next season I'm playing Arena exclusively once my REQ collection is completed. I'm aiming to complete my Arena Mastery commendation so I can get the Magnum Opus emblem. This being in mind, I feel like my play could be improved. Other than the obvious "Watch your bad games to learn in theater" I have some quirks I've noticed about my playstyle (NOTE: I'm low 1600 Onyx, I'm not looking to be god tier at this game but I do like performing well and think I'm a solid player in some aspects):

- I actively don't use rifles. This as to my understanding is basically limiting myself to certain engagements and limiting my overall effectiveness in general. The only rifles I consider using are the LightRifle and Carbine (because Truths LoS are gigantic).

- I play on 3 sens 5 acc. I did this after @ mentioned to test it out and I enjoy it but sometimes it's hard to balance my strafe and hitting shots.

- My strafe: I'm one of those guys that tries to have a good strafe. Sometimes I get away with it, others I start strafing rather than utilizing my surroundings to protect myself. Also, I have issues utilizing different strafes at different ranges which can lead to the "stand still" strafe. On top of that, my shot can go crazy sometimes with how hard my strafe goes, which sucks because if I could land the shots I would get the kill.

- I need to work on callouts and overall positioning. Considering I've been mainly grinding Warzone, it's easy to just get used to not calling out anything and just rushing in always.

I would appreciate some help if possible. Just some of the things off of the top of my head/

SOOOOO FUCKING MAD THESE GOT REMOVED.

I'm really upset about it too... :( I keep doing it in game because it became such a habit and I got to the point where I could hit them pretty much every time. It's really unfortunate they removed them.. I'm still salty about it  :salt:  :salt:  :salt:

Yo dudes, I made a post on /r/halo about using Thruster more effectively and thought I'd share here, so here you guys go

Wall of text ahead:

Hey guys, I did a post on “reads” in Halo 5 and since I had some positive reception, I thought I would try making a general guide to using the Thruster in H5 a bit more effectively because this is the first time we really have a mechanic that is so influential in battles throughout a match. I’ll be using some clips of mine to show because it’s just easier for me and I’m a bit lazy to find some VoD of top players using it. Though I am writing this guide, this is just an opinion of mine on how to use Thruster pack and I’m a player always looking to improve and am open to suggestions. So if you disagree with a point I’d love to have a discussion about it! Now onto the guide:

I think before we talk about tips/general ideas on how to use Thruster pack, we need to get some terminology, general idea of Thrust and tech that people have found. To begin with, the Thruster pack has essentially 3 parts to it, the initial frames, the active frames and the recovery period. To try defining these, the intial frames are the beginning of the Thrust, the active is when you are first able to shoot and the recovery period is when the Thrust is almost coming to a stop. I don’t have the frame data but having these definitions helps out a bit with discussing Thruster. Also from now on I’m just going to call Thruster Pack THP throughout this guide because im a lazy man at times (sorry). Next we can discuss Thrust Cancel. Cookies4you on The Team Beyond forums defined it well as “Recycling frames using thrust delay and firing instantly when it's over.” To use this best, as soon as you hit the 4th shot of a Pistol shot, you should Thrust if you want to both dodge shots and have the quickest kill time possible while using TP. Cookies4you posted a video here showing Thrust Cancel with a Light Rifle as its slow rate of fire is makes Thrust Cancel especially useful http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/PartialSquid/video/12708736

Another finding is Thrust Launching. The video should show you how to do it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQV4ittN9s 

Last tech people have found is Thrust Slide. Here is a video that explains it pretty well

https://youtu.be/0LA56xofrKI 

Disregard the stuff about Super Slide and Fast fall because that is all removed from the game. Thrust Slide however, is still in.

Alright. now we’re doing with introducing all the new tech and terminology, we can discuss how to actually use the TP effectively.

The first thing I’ll talk about is general things on using TP in a 1v1 battle. TP should be used for the most part as a comeback mechanic. You use this when you are down shots or to have higher health than you normally would have had. For example, if you are down 1-2 shots, using the Thruster in this battle would be really effective to bring you back into this 1v1 in equal footing. But how does one do this correctly? In my opinion, there are about 3 general guidelines to achieving a “good” use of TP

1) Will using TP now cause my opponents to have easy shots on me in my recovery period? A lot of times what will happen is a player will be 2 shots (he will die in 2 shots if the player can get a headshot if the player is no shields) use TP in a time where the enemy will most likely get 1 shot in the initial / active frames and because of the predictability of the recovery period the enemy player has an easy shot lined up. Preferably you don’t want this to happen, you would probably like to avoid this however, if you were too slow and you will die either way, you might as well do this to get the enemy 1-2 shots weaker for your teammates to clean up

2) Is this going to screw my opponents aim? Sometimes unpredictability is the best way to use TP because you can have an early head start in a 1v1 or in a general encounter.

3) Am I going to die if I do not use Thruster? If you’re already going to die, whether that’s by nades, not looking at the opponent, etc personally I think you might as well use it to try getting a fighting chance and maybe get a shot or two on your enemies.

4) If I’m down in shots, will using TP and getting shots in let me survive and let the 1v1 be in a more equal footing?

So these are the general tips on, at least in my opinion, a good use of TP.

Though just reading this can be a bit hard to understand how they work in an actual game, which is why I’m just going to use a few clips I have.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xWicked%20Swami/video/14358550#t=11

Here’s a run down of why I did each decision from 11 seconds onward. For the first kill, I was pretty confident I could get this kill through unpredictable means. For the passive player, the best play would have been to Thrust and back off but I wanted Turbine control and if I backed off I would have to wait for enemies to push to Blue door to get any kills as I expected 2-3 enemies around the Red Bend/Turbine side. So killing this guy was a bit important if you ask me. For this first kill, I used #1, #2 and #4. For #1, if I get this kill the recovery period really doesn’t matter and even if I did miss the first shot with the Sniper while I TP’d forward, I still was 2 shots for a Pistol user and if I wanted to, I could switch to my pistol easily. #2, a lot of times players will not expect a forward TP when they are down in shots which is what I was counting on. I don’t recommend this all the time but sometimes it works, it’s a really case by case basis and i don’t recommend using it all the time.

For the second kill, I wanted to be by cover quickly but get the kill. Really I just used #2 as it’s a bit unpredictable to see a guy thrusting out of cover. However, I did mess up in this play by jumping a lot. Personally the better play would have been to Thrust Slide to get to cover faster and further in.

Last kill was #2 and #3. I was going to die in this situation either through nades or the guy shooting the box and having my cover blown. I wanted to wait a few seconds to get my Thrust back and wait for his nade that I was predicting him to be thrown and Thrust afterwards to have him in the recovery period of him throwing his nade and because it’s really unpredictable to have a guy flying 1 shot out of cover.

Next clip: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xWicked%20Swami/video/12851147#t=7

In the beginning, I had to really avoid this dude so I wanted to TP to be sure he could not get shots on me while I was getting my shields back, so basically #3. I then challenged the other guy but was pretty confident that I could kill him without TP and because I’m already weak, use it to avoid a death by another opponent. Which happened, I killed the 1st opponent and because I really had no other solutions for the most part, I went basically for #3 because there wasn’t much of a way I was going to live without it, I fortunately got lucky and he had to reload and I could exploit that mistake.

The last kill i wanted to survive, be in cover and place shots on this guy while my team helped me out. Basically I went for the aggressive and passive play at the same time as using Thruster here was effective for both. Because I’d be in cover at the recovery period, I was going to be fine even with the TP recovery period being easy to predict.

Moving on from all that though, you can use Thruster for a ton of ways in this game. Such as Thrust Launching, Thrust Sliding, etc. Personally a good way to use Thrust Slide in a battle is to do it when you’re entering an encounter because of how fast it is and that you also have momentum jumps. It’s a bit unpredictable and hard to fix your aim so quickly at times. Another suggestion is burst rushing with it while using an auto like an AR or Storm Rifle because you’ll be in preferable range for the CQC weapons.

Another point I’d like to make using TP is do not use it so carelessly. At times players will use it to get to 1 point to another quicker but the need of it isn’t really needed when they enter an area that might be a possible encounter. Sometimes it’s better to save your thrust when you’re expecting another fight rather than using it to get to areas quicker (sometimes! Really, it’s a situational argument).

The last point I’d like to make is, and this is hard to explain how to do it, but time the weapons RoF in your head to Thrust right before they would shoot their next shot. This is especially easy imo with weapons like the Sniper rifle as the RoF is slow, but less useful against weapons such as the Carbine or DMR. However, I think with the Pistol, BR and Light Rifle they can be pretty useful against opponents.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Okay fam, this next season I'm playing Arena exclusively once my REQ collection is completed. I'm aiming to complete my Arena Mastery commendation so I can get the Magnum Opus emblem. This being in mind, I feel like my play could be improved. Other than the obvious "Watch your bad games to learn in theater" I have some quirks I've noticed about my playstyle (NOTE: I'm low 1600 Onyx, I'm not looking to be god tier at this game but I do like performing well and think I'm a solid player in some aspects):

- I actively don't use rifles. This as to my understanding is basically limiting myself to certain engagements and limiting my overall effectiveness in general. The only rifles I consider using are the LightRifle and Carbine (because Truths LoS are gigantic).

- I play on 3 sens 5 acc. I did this after @ mentioned to test it out and I enjoy it but sometimes it's hard to balance my strafe and hitting shots.

- My strafe: I'm one of those guys that tries to have a good strafe. Sometimes I get away with it, others I start strafing rather than utilizing my surroundings to protect myself. Also, I have issues utilizing different strafes at different ranges which can lead to the "stand still" strafe. On top of that, my shot can go crazy sometimes with how hard my strafe goes, which sucks because if I could land the shots I would get the kill.

- I need to work on callouts and overall positioning. Considering I've been mainly grinding Warzone, it's easy to just get used to not calling out anything and just rushing in always.

I would appreciate some help if possible. Just some of the things off of the top of my head/

My bad for the late reply:

Pick up the BR on truth mainly because of those long LoS. Personally, and I don't think I recommend this to everyone (I'm the only one in my team who does this but they agree with my point) but having a Pistol/BR loadout is pretty good for when you are zoning enemies out. Like if I'm blocking Carbine spawns, I have both BR and Pistol. if I'm forced to a 1v1 I pull out the Pistol but if im hitting Street enemies or something of the sort, I'm using the BR. Depends on the map though but picking up rifles are good because of the upgrade.

Only issue with 3/5 is sometimes you will in cqc be behind the enemy strafes though personaly I counteract this with a Thrust on the side the enemy is strafing and I get the easy 1 shot. 

For your strafe issues, make your strafe timings/crouches more in sync with your shot. Once you get that sort of cadence down, you'll be on fire (also practice Octagon) 

Small talk!!! Callouts are great and all but there is a reason top teams say "less call outs more small talk" its because it helps A LOT. Once you start communicating where you're looking, what you're doing, etc etc you will be way more in sync with your team and it makes positioning sooo much easier.

My teammate, Illmaster monk posted a sort of guide if that will help

Consider LoS on your team and enemies more often with your positioning and that will help a bit more

Also, I'll stop bumping the post mods. Since this thread is probably going to die anyways, you guys can add me (xWicked Swami) and we can play some time as long as I am not already in a party. I usually do run with some people from the forums and the like so if you want to get on that lemme know :)

My bad for the late reply:

1.Pick up the BR on truth mainly because of those long LoS. Personally, and I don't think I recommend this to everyone (I'm the only one in my team who does this but they agree with my point) but having a Pistol/BR loadout is pretty good for when you are zoning enemies out. Like if I'm blocking Carbine spawns, I have both BR and Pistol. if I'm forced to a 1v1 I pull out the Pistol but if im hitting Street enemies or something of the sort, I'm using the BR. Depends on the map though but picking up rifles are good because of the upgrade.

2.Only issue with 3/5 is sometimes you will in cqc be behind the enemy strafes though personaly I counteract this with a Thrust on the side the enemy is strafing and I get the easy 1 shot. 

For your strafe issues, make your strafe timings/crouches more in sync with your shot. Once you get that sort of cadence down, you'll be on fire (also practice Octagon) 

3.Small talk!!! Callouts are great and all but there is a reason top teams say "less call outs more small talk" its because it helps A LOT. Once you start communicating where you're looking, what you're doing, etc etc you will be way more in sync with your team and it makes positioning sooo much easier.

My teammate, Illmaster monk posted a sort of guide if that will help

Consider LoS on your team and enemies more often with your positioning and that will help a bit more

Also, I'll stop bumping the post mods. Since this thread is probably going to die anyways, you guys can add me (xWicked Swami) and we can play some time as long as I am not already in a party. I usually do run with some people from the forums and the like so if you want to get on that lemme know :)

In my opinion (and Tiberius Audley's) pistol/BR is something you want to avoid at all costs. The only real advantage you have is having an "extended" precision weapon clip because you have two magazines, but the moment someone pushes you with an automatic, or a sword especially, you are at significant disadvantage. You have both an SMG and a storm rifle if you spawn in the base close to you, so there really is never any reason to not pick one up (and drop your pistol for it).

If you spawn carbine you can either get the sword if it is up, or alternatively the plasma pistol which will almost always be up. All those combos are vastly superior to pistol/BR.

BR/pistol is more viable on maps like overgrowth, because you don't have any powerful automatics on that map, and a supressor isn't necessarily better than a pistol most of the time.

One of the things I've been doing lately is avoid thrusting outside of combat unless absolutely necessary.This way I always have a thrust avaliable when I really need it. Then, when I get in a battle I try to bait my opponent into using his thrust before I do (preferably as early as possible). This way I have the maximum amount of options of how to use mine and easier aiming because I know  he has used his thrust already.

Agreed. I honestly think call outs especially quantitity-wise are overrated. A callout is really only useful if it tells you something you can't see or hear, but immediatly react on, otherwise its just useless noise.

In random matchmaking people constantly talk about how they "would have won the game if people were calling out".

Yet it was just a bunch of people running around doing their thing and not doing it well either. A bunch of guys frantically screaming callouts in such a game isn't going to make any impact at all.

Time for some Halo Science.

So I decided to go back and revisit slide boosting. Although the technique is dead, it looks like the fundamentals still work.

Case in point: jogging (GIF-V)

Another technique that still works is slide storing, which works very well for flag juggling. (GIF-V)

Another slide store, but on Colosseum. (GIF-V)

You definitely receive more momentum from a slide boost than from the slide into thrust combo it feels like.

It's become my primary method of short A to B movement along flat areas.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You definitely receive more momentum from a slide boost than from the slide into thrust combo it feels like.

It's become my primary method of short A to B movement along flat areas.

Yup.

You get even more momentum from a full-sprint slide boost than you do a jogging slide boost.

is there a good series of videos for strategy, techniques for h5? like something that starts basic and gets advanced, like the war owl videos for counterstrike? 

is there a good series of videos for strategy, techniques for h5? like something that starts basic and gets advanced, like the war owl videos for counterstrike? 

I don't think so. I'm not sure of those CS videos but there are CE ones that start with basics and get more advanced. I can't imagine what would go into a Halo 5 video. How basic are we talking about? For example, something a ton of people do on Plaza is when they take nest lift, they'll clamber up the ledge instead of letting the lift take them the whole way.

Is this incredibly useful or skillful? Nope, but it's basic. So I guess what's your starting point for basic tips? I doubt theres any long tutorials or series but might be a bunch of separate videos out there I can post.

I don't think so. I'm not sure of those CS videos but there are CE ones that start with basics and get more advanced. I can't imagine what would go into a Halo 5 video. How basic are we talking about? For example, something a ton of people do on Plaza is when they take nest lift, they'll clamber up the ledge instead of letting the lift take them the whole way.

Is this incredibly useful or skillful? Nope, but it's basic. So I guess what's your starting point for basic tips? I doubt theres any long tutorials or series but might be a bunch of separate videos out there I can post.

see i didn't even know there was a ledge to clamber up there

youtube war owl cs and you'll see what i mean, if you want.  He starts with REALLY basic stuff (for halo it'd probably be stuff like basic strafe, thrust, when to use spartan abilities, general map movement, weapon properties and situational uses, etc) and then go into stuff that a lot of entry level players don't get (flag running, territory control, general spawning) and then onto specific map setups or something like that

Basically I think there's a big content gap to filled there to help people understand the larger game

me, I just want to get better and I know there's a ton of stuff I don't know yet that would make me better

for instance, I lost a ctf game on fathom the other day and I KNOW the other team was purposely influencing where we spawned.  my team was communicating and slaying equally but they just knew what they were doing and we didn't know how to push back on it. THAT's the sort of thing I wanna learn about.

see i didn't even know there was a ledge to clamber up there

youtube war owl cs and you'll see what i mean, if you want.  He starts with REALLY basic stuff (for halo it'd probably be stuff like basic strafe, thrust, when to use spartan abilities, general map movement, weapon properties and situational uses, etc) and then go into stuff that a lot of entry level players don't get (flag running, territory control, general spawning) and then onto specific map setups or something like that

I'll check him out. I'm not a CS player but I remember a while ago someone linked to a giant playlist of video tutorials. The first couple were in regards to controlling bullet spread. Maybe that was it but regardless I love that shit even if I'm not into the game. Thanks for letting me know.

I guess really, it should start with small stuff like movement mechanics. If someone could compile all the tricks in this thread similar to how someone compiled the nade tricks, we'd be off to a good start. Start with how we're able to combine movement abilities, and maybe various ways to use them that new players wouldn't think of instantly. For example, using ground pound to stall and look down low, or juke a chaser rather than use it purely to hit people. Things like how you can throw a grenade while thrusting and throw it farther or how you can shoot instantly after thrusting.

From there I guess all the cool map jumps, and I know there are a ton of people who have their own individual jump videos. After that we can go into some of the really difficult stuff. Someone here posted a video like 3 months ago of them thrusting into the top of a angled box and got boosted upwards. Theres a ton of places to do this but it's pretty hard imo. The specific example I'm talking about is on Rigs. I doubt I'll find it.

In basement near the sewer jump up is a rectangular box near the prometheon nades. There is a slight bump on top of this box. The player jumped and timed his thrust perfectly to only hit this slight bump and was launched up onto the catwalk above him.

@ - if we started to compile some videos of the useful info, would you update it into the OP?

I've actually been thinking of making videos like this. Not basic stuff like strafing, but more like basic pushes, setups, etc on each map. I could probably start with just one basic video that details things like when to thrust, when to clamber a ledge on a lift, how to strafe, etc though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll check him out. I'm not a CS player but I remember a while ago someone linked to a giant playlist of video tutorials. The first couple were in regards to controlling bullet spread. Maybe that was it but regardless I love that shit even if I'm not into the game. Thanks for letting me know.

I guess really, it should start with small stuff like movement mechanics. If someone could compile all the tricks in this thread similar to how someone compiled the nade tricks, we'd be off to a good start. Start with how we're able to combine movement abilities, and maybe various ways to use them that new players wouldn't think of instantly. For example, using ground pound to stall and look down low, or juke a chaser rather than use it purely to hit people. Things like how you can throw a grenade while thrusting and throw it farther or how you can shoot instantly after thrusting.

From there I guess all the cool map jumps, and I know there are a ton of people who have their own individual jump videos. After that we can go into some of the really difficult stuff. Someone here posted a video like 3 months ago of them thrusting into the top of a angled box and got boosted upwards. Theres a ton of places to do this but it's pretty hard imo. The specific example I'm talking about is on Rigs. I doubt I'll find it.

In basement near the sewer jump up is a rectangular box near the prometheon nades. There is a slight bump on top of this box. The player jumped and timed his thrust perfectly to only hit this slight bump and was launched up onto the catwalk above him.

@ - if we started to compile some videos of the useful info, would you update it into the OP?

wait, how can you shoot right after thrusting?

and yeah, i think you're thinking of the same videos. These were REALLY good, even though the dude had a really dorky intro. 

I've actually been thinking of making videos like this. Not basic stuff like strafing, but more like basic pushes, setups, etc on each map. I could probably start with just one basic video that details things like when to thrust, when to clamber a ledge on a lift, how to strafe, etc though.

would definitely watch. i feel like I need to learn this stuff to get better

@@Teapot I'm definitely down to help out. I just don't have any capture device. I can Xbox DVR stuff and that's mainly it. I was actually gonna help Justin 3ber with his videos so maybe we can collab or something to make 1 hotspot for everything (strats, Thrust cancel, usage of tech with everything and commentary over it, etc)

• Upvote (+1) 1

wait, how can you shoot right after thrusting?

and yeah, i think you're thinking of the same videos. These were REALLY good, even though the dude had a really dorky intro. 

Thrust cancel is recycling frames so after you shoot a shot, you thrust the instant after you shoot and hold RT while thrusting so you reduce the amount of frames you are on the Thruster Recovery period (Does that make sense?). I posted in my Thruster guide somewhere about this if you are still confused (it has a video as well) 

for instance, I lost a ctf game on fathom the other day and I KNOW the other team was purposely influencing where we spawned.  my team was communicating and slaying equally but they just knew what they were doing and we didn't know how to push back on it. THAT's the sort of thing I wanna learn about.

I can try explaining how I play Fathom CTF and probably what they were doing in a sort of order of priority

> Have control of your Tree/BR

> Control Top Mid or enemy Pit(someone stay, maybe 2 for top mid)

> Control enemy Tree/BR

> Slay

> Watch Silo spawns

>Run flag while slaying. Either run the flag top mid from Tree or run straight to Pit (most ideal)

> get cutoffs especially for BR because enemies will fly to grab your flag

A somewhat longer version (though not really)  you need to make sure any enemies on your side are dead. This is 1st priority. Once you have some control of your side, you really need to make sure your BR/Tree is good. You want control of that because you can pop shot their silo and hit their Porch. However you want to have top mid control and idealy with Rail or LR. At this point enemies will retaliate at you by pushing their Pit/Tree and you need to predict this/be ready and slay them. Toss nades, shoot Rail, etc and pinch them on their BR/Tree. Once you slay them and you stay at BR, they will spawn Silo because most likely you will have one in their Lobby (if you have no one near Lobby they might spawn SMG/Lobby IIRC) and you slay them while probably one runs to your BR which top mid guy needs to be planning his route before they spawn (personally what I do is run to Tree and go to our sneak while waiting for them to push BR. Really situational tho)