zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

Alright, you can even store your slide while charging, and you can turn in any direction you want. Case in point, 180 drop slide boost on Colosseum.

For now, let's think of a name. What about slide storing, or slide saving?

Edit. Alright, here's two really good ones.

1. Rockets to Red/Blue Bridge

2. Dirt Hill to Scattershot

Dude my whole skype chat is going mental about this, can you explain how?

Dude my whole skype chat is going mental about this, can you explain how?

Technique:

1. Sprint until you can slide. Thanks to Y3wish, I learned that you can slide without being at max speed. The speed doesn't matter, just as long as you can slide. It'll get rectified later.

2. Jump.

3. Turn in the direction you want. Even if it cancels your sprint, it doesn't matter.

4. Right before you touch the ground, thrust within 90 degrees (45 left, 45 right, or anywhere in between) of your current facing. (Note, the landing timing is very easy. You'll know you did it right if you can slide at the end of it, much like a normal thrust slide.)

(Added note, you can reverse 3 and 4 if you want to, thrusting first and aiming second, or even doing both at the same time. As long as you're within that 90 degree angle before sliding, you're fine.)

5. With that thrust, you can thrust slide, and thus, slide boost or fast fall. You can use the normal method (hold crouch) or the button que method (hold crouch + jump).

I'll do a Halo Science write-up and explain the advanced details of how it works later.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't do this, I don't know why. Maybe it needs a little bit of practise.

Can you slide boost normally?

So you can boost up to top middle two ways using the moveable cover in front of the bases on Fathom (I knew the first jump to top mid but didn't know about the second jump to the bridge until just now).

xboxdvr.com/Yewish+aD/871f1047-a4b9-46cc-af33-003d97cf30ec

You know, I can do all kinds of crazy shit with slide boosting, but I can't seem to do something as simple as thrust bumping.

Can you slide boost normally?

Yes. 

But I just did it on Eden after posting. I still can't do it on Coliseum. I think I don't a the right timing for the Sprint / jump.

Yes. 

But I just did it on Eden after posting. I still can't do it on Coliseum. I think I don't a the right timing for the Sprint / jump.

Yeah, you really have to know how to manipulate your jump physics. Just keep practicing on flat ground and get a feel for it.

Remember that timing isn't important, it's where you land that matters.

You know, I can do all kinds of crazy shit with slide boosting, but I can't seem to do something as simple as thrust bumping.

For the bump to top mid I jump from the dark grey corner at the bottom of the ramp and then boost as I'm falling.

For the bump to top mid I jump from the dark grey corner at the bottom of the ramp and then boost as I'm falling.

Yeah that's my main problem, I'm not good at stuff that needs precision.

That's why I use the crouch + jump method for slide boosting, so that I can minimize the need for exact positioning.

It's also the reason why I'm trash at weapon launching.

Yeah that's my main problem, I'm not good at stuff that needs precision.

That's why I use the crouch + jump method for slide boosting, so that I can minimize the need for exact positioning.

It's also the reason why I'm trash at weapon launching.

I just found some new thrust bumps on Eden.

Front red to red catwalk/Front blue to blue window.

xboxdvr.com/Yewish+aD/8d3fe2bf-7b2a-4ed7-8a70-89fa26f7d286

Front blue to blue catwalk.

xboxdvr.com/Yewish+aD/5dc67330-f46f-4f91-a2cb-c588b41f3661

@

Alright, here's my Halo Science write up on how slide storing works.

1. Jogging

There's a point after sprinting that you become able to slide. I will refer to this state as jogging.

Here's what I know about jogging:

Laws of Jogging:

1. Being on the floor and not sprinting (I.E. you land or stop sprinting on the ground) will cancel your jogging.

2. Being on the floor and not not moving within a 90 degree cone of your forward facing (45 left, 45 right) will also cancel your jogging.

2. Slide Storing

Slide storing takes advantage of the jogging's properties. When you jump (you can also fall), the two laws can be ignored because you're no longer touching a floor. As such, this allows you to make extreme adjustments with your angles, and even break your sprint.

This is why it's called slide storing, because it allows you to save your slide after you've charged it up to the minimum.

3. Thrust Sliding

Thrusting has three interactions with jogging.

Laws of Thrust Sliding:

1. Thrusting maintains your state of jogging. While in-thrust, you can ignore the Laws of Jogging. (Hence why you can adjust your aim in-thrust. This is used to bypass the first law of jogging, allowing you to maintain your jogging in spite of breaking sprint.)

2. Thrusting immediately overrides your jogging's velocity. (This is why when you thrust slide, you slide in the direction and speed of the thrust. It's also why you can make extreme angle changes with the slide store technique, bypassing the second law of jogging.)

3. The laws of jogging come back into effect the moment the thrust animation ends. (This is fundamental to the thrust slide technique, and thus, slide boost techniques. It also allows you to fast stop, and by extension, perform the alternate slide boost and fast fall techniques.)

• Upvote (+1) 8

@@cookies4you This is great! I'll have to mess around with some weird angles and see if I can get some ideal slides. Going to be a fun day testing this lol

I accidentally went to the first page and I had some good memories. The meta was expanded so much within these past 3 months.

I mean seriously, who would've thought that slide had so much utility.

I recall being one of the few that was really excited for slide before when it was announced, glad to see it back in a way. I think I discovered this by accident once on array but didn't think anything of it.

Great find though!

In b4 a pro team pulls as CSGO Fnatic and saves an exploit/glitch for the Halo finals and gets disqualified.

I wonder if any pros are sitting on glitches/exploits/techniques that are unknown right now and waiting for the right time to use them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In b4 a pro team pulls as CSGO Fnatic and saves an exploit/glitch for the Halo finals and gets disqualified.

I wonder if any pros are sitting on glitches/exploits/techniques that are unknown right now and waiting for the right time to use them.

There were a few who knew about slide-boosting weeks before the community at large knew about it. I have at least 1 sick flag route that most people don't know about (done it on stream a few times, but until yesterday never had much of an audience). Most of it is going to be little things like nerdy LoS, unpredictable ledges and nooks, and slightly faster flag routes.

There is definitely a reason that a lot of pros have avoided streaming lately, but it's more about strats than specific techniques and exploits.

Do you guys actually use this stuff in real games?

Well, yeah. Is that a question?

These are from my last two games (1,2) (3,4).

Here's a bonus (5).

Edit. Wait, wrong bonus. Here's the right bonus. (6)

After some testing, I've found that Slide Storing is also possible while holding a flag. Here's an example on Fathom: http://imgur.com/g5oURzF

Yeah, I noticed that too.

It looks like this is gonna be the main use for slide storing, slide boosting with the flag.

Well, yeah. Is that a question?

These are from my last two games (1,2) (3,4).

Here's a bonus (5).

Edit. Wait, wrong bonus. Here's the right bonus. (6)

Cool. Guess il have to figure out how to do this.

So F/A pool is much larger now: Aries, Commonly, Cloud, Chig, Cratos, Suspector, & Spartan. Anyone I'm missing?

Wrong thread? 

• Upvote (+1) 1