zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

This thread should stay bumped. Threads like these should be easy to find on a competitive Halo forum.

this is the problem lol no one wants to discuss strategy but complain. Can't do much about it when the surplus of players here don't like talking about getting better but act as arm chair designers

On topic: sliders mad useful now for entering a battle when they don't expect it. Especially with Storm Rifle

• Upvote (+1) 6

Haven't seen this posted here from the pages I've read here, so this might end up being a repost, but you can have a 10 second flag cap if you thrust and throw flag with someone standing at the opposite bases bridge

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't want this thread dying. This game has so much potential.

To give a little push, here's a little somethin' somethin. xboxdvr.com/The+S0UL+FLAME/8f1b740d-27ec-4d1f-98d9-8e13b254080e

Damn THAT is how thruster should be used in Halo.

This thread is moving slowly since the meta is still developing though. Really hope it gets some more traction. May have some more to put in here later

My turn to bump the thread. The whole reason I came to this forum was because of threads like this.

To add to the topic:

I really like how this game rewards resourceful players (like myself), with the variety of actually viable map pickups that exist on maps.

I understand that some people just want to use and fight the same gun all of the time, but that gets boring at times, and sometimes if you are not feeling hot with the spawn weapons, players like me often feel helpless in modes like swat or snipers, and in most MLG-style settings in Halo, where there is only one weapon to use, unless it is a straight power weapon.

Basically, a (likely obvious)tip for H5, is don't forget to take advantage of stuff on the map.

Being able to throw people off, and catch them in the ideal situation for whatever you picked up, is the entire point of map pickups in Halo, and different weapons being more effective in different situations is part of what the series was built on(to help balance and strategize the two weapon carrying limit).

BUT, don't forget about what the Magnum and AR can do. They are together your utility loadout. They are just good enough in this game so that you don't necessarily need to pick up anything other than maybe power weapons, but they are not so powerful as to make the majority of other weapons pointless.

The fact that most of the weapons in this game are actually a bit unique from each other helps this point quite a bit. The only redundancies are primarily with the rifles, but there are generally only two types on a map at any given time, so it is not that bad (one mid range and one long range rifle).

I like being free to be resourceful in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Here's a small trick I found helpful. Hold your trigger instead of tapping it.

For instance, say you're trying to fire the Magnum at max speed. After firing a shot, just release the trigger, pull it, then hold it. There's no need to time it, you'll fire immediately at the next possible instance. Furthermore, if you do this while thrusting, you'll immediately fire a shot when the animation ends.

Although if you're using a Carbine, you'll probably be better off just spam-tapping the trigger.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This thread singlehandedly makes me not hate forward thrust. Back and side thrust are still shitty though. Have a bump.

This thread should stay bumped. Threads like these should be easy to find on a competitive Halo forum.

Should be pinned

• Upvote (+1) 2

This thread should stay bumped.  Threads like these should be easy to find on a competitive Halo forum.

Pretty sure my huge CE thread is buried under pages of old threads. Shame that MCC sucked and I guess not many people needed it but I doubt this will get stickied.

this is the problem lol no one wants to discuss strategy but complain. Can't do much about it when the surplus of players here don't like talking about getting better but act as arm chair designers

On topic: sliders mad useful now for entering a battle when they don't expect it. Especially with Storm Rifle

I guess I can start a specific topic for discussion. Strongholds on the Rig seems rather simple, and it seems like the safe way to play is to hold basement and nest hills, and force them BR. In order to keep these you have to put a lot of emphasis on holding back carbine platform. The benefit is having the back spawn that has eyes on both hills, but a negative of this set up would be it's a bit harder to hold inside junction which is pretty powerful for map control or breaking a set up, and that the nest hill has that giant wall to protect players. On the other hand it's easy to nade them.

So I guess I want to discuss the pros and cons of that set up versus a BR and Nest set up. I've seen quite a lot of people claim it could be the better set up. All seem to admit it's a harder set up, but I guess the pro's are the heavily weighted BR spawns, the ability to apply pressure constantly through junction, as well as the straight line of site to top nest from either sneaky or engine 2. Another big factor is the heavy weight on BR tower spawns. If your team is too far up into junction you can easily get flanked from an enemy spawning at BR.

So one option that we've been trying when we have an openminded and selfless team, is to organize ways to rotate and overtake their hill and spawns. This works well on some other maps but the rig seems to be designed around having a set up. When we need basement, we push at least 2 past tower into back catwalk towards carbine and at least one through junction in order to pinch them. We don't send anyone to the hill until a few are dead or we have eyes on them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Rig Strongholds it seems people unanimously favor Basement/Nest setups but has anyone tried to lock down BR/Cargo/Bunker along with Nest? It has the best access to Railgun and arguably better access to Camo. My friend brought it up and once I hit Onyx I'm probably going to start trying it out when searching with four.

Any thoughts on Plaza Strongholds? They all seem relatively balanced to me but Nest (Cinema/Sniper) seems slightly better because of Camo access. Does Hydra still spawn on Plaza SHolds?

Edit: Looks like @@Teapot literally just brought up the same thing right before me rofl

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rig Strongholds it seems people unanimously favor Basement/Nest setups but has anyone tried to lock down BR/Cargo/Bunker along with Nest? It has the best access to Railgun and arguably better access to Camo. My friend brought it up and once I hit Onyx I'm probably going to start trying it out when searching with four.

Any thoughts on Plaza Strongholds? They all seem relatively balanced to me but Nest (Cinema/Sniper) seems slightly better because of Camo access. Does Hydra still spawn on Plaza SHolds?

Edit: Looks like @@Teapot literally just brought up the same thing right before me rofl

There is literally no reason to go for BR base on Rig Strongholds.

I talk about why in this video:

Railgun isn't worth bad spawns and worse choke points.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Railgun is guaranteed blockage of Yellow Corner, Drill Platform, and parts of Junction. You are underrating it IMO

Railgun is guaranteed blockage of Yellow Corner, Drill Platform, and parts of Junction. You are underrating it IMO

The railgun is good for pick-offs, but it's not good for holding off pushes.  It can't get kills in rapid succession.

But in order to win Strongholds, you have to hold two territories, and it's much easier to defend Nest when you're spawning at Carbine than it is when you're spawning at BR.  All you have to do from Carbine spawn is grenade nest, and send one player across while you keep 2-3 anchoring Basement so it doesn't get taken.  Meanwhile, since they have BR base, they will keep spawning BR base.  And leaving BR base means going through choke points.

From BR base, to hold Nest, you have to sit on the little ledge overlook, which exposes you to shots from Snipe spawn, Nest, Basement, and Rail corner. Easy to clean up, easy to kill, easy to take control of Nest (and then, again, have easy defense access thanks to grenades from Carbine spawn.)

You CANNOT hold Basement/BR cross map unless your opponents are just awful and unable to get kills at all.

so is p side the side to hold on truth? and does anyone have strats for regret?

For Flag, Carbine is generally stronger, thanks to the spawn system / base layout.  If you block Carbine spawns, you get a much easier flag run through Carbine since they're likely to spawn under their base, meaning they can only exit bottom mid, lifting into their base, or Pink side (long route to stop flag).

There is literally no reason to go for BR base on Rig Strongholds.

I talk about why in this video:

There were multiple times in that game where each team had taken BR base. Any chance of providing analysis of why they had traded of BR instead of organizing a push to overtake spawns? I understand the choke points and actual BR tower aren't ideal, but you can still gain control of junction and pressure them on catwalk. I still think naturally basement and nest provide a safer set up off of spawn but I do think there's at least some room for discussion on ways you can set up or flip rotations by using BR base.

Regardless, I do find Junction to be a pretty powerful position to put a ton of pressure on anyone pushing catwalk or bottom nest. From that location you can thrust right and have instant eyes on basement hill too.

I saw some gameplay of pros 100-0 another pro team on it by holding basement and nest, so obviously thats an ideal set up but I don't feel that's where the meta ends.

edit: also tib, you mention that in order to hold nest/BR you need someone on the ledge looking nest. While that is a good spot to contest or kill the hill, that is not a good set up to hold map control. Both @@Infinity and I are mentioning the importance of Junction, especially for holding nest.

so is p side the side to hold on truth? and does anyone have strats for regret?

Hard for me to tell to be completely honest, because P seems less of a power position in Truth than it has been in other Halos. Another issue I have with it is how heavy the carbine spawns weight is, and the design of the carbine street from their bubble to car 2. It provides a lot of cover and is a really safe spawn that is easy for them to run and thrust to our base and cut off the flag. I'm not much help on this one to be honest, as I've seen a lot of weird spawns happen when we have someone pink, carbine and running flag. You'd think it would be guaranteed basement spawns.

Anybody know what to do on the empire ctf gametype? Hold outside or security areas? I can't figure it out. We try to hold outside and run flag outside but most other teams I've found are running through security and prioritizing that portion of the map.

Anybody know what to do on the empire ctf gametype? Hold outside or security areas? I can't figure it out. We try to hold outside and run flag outside but most other teams I've found are running through security and prioritizing that portion of the map.

A lot of the ideas that my squad is trying to execute are rather ambitious, so I don't know if this is even close to an ideal strategy but we've found success with slow flag caps running on outside with one supporting flag and the others contesting middle map. Should be looking into their platform to DMR spawns but also make sure nobody sprints through bottom middle to rush and get a pull.

However the more ambitious strategy we do is just straight running the flag bottom mid by OS. It really only works when you have the OS control or your team gets at least 3 dead within a very short amount of time.

We do something similar on Fathom where we will run it underneath the enemy teams bridge towards our pit. It seems that it's so easy to cut off the flag runner so we've been trying to focus on these risky fast pulls, but have also been trying to play slow in order to gain these 3 down scenarios.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some questions to help you figure out what to do:

If you run it Outside, how many ways into the base do you have?

If someone cuts off your way into the base, what option do you have other than abandon the cap?

If your opponents have Sec and you're running outside, how do you prevent a countercap?

If you run it Sec (Stop using a four-syllable callout) instead, how many ways into the base do you have?

If someone cuts off the route you're taking, what other routes can you take?

If your opponents are running a countercap outside and you have Sec, how can you stop them?

There were multiple times in that game where each team had taken BR base. Any chance of providing analysis of why they had traded of BR instead of organizing a push to overtake spawns? I understand the choke points and actual BR tower aren't ideal, but you can still gain control of junction and pressure them on catwalk. I still think naturally basement and nest provide a safer set up off of spawn but I do think there's at least some room for discussion on ways you can set up or flip rotations by using BR base.

You take BR base only to prevent yourself from being triple capped and losing double points.  You should only ever take BR base if you spawn there.  And if you spawned there, then either your teammates fucked you over, or the opponents just got Basement.

The only other acceptable time to be on BR side of the map is if you REALLY want Railgun, but even then you shouldn't be in a position to take the base (Rail spawns on high ground, why are you low?) and you shouldn't be influencing spawns (you're at rail tower, not stairs).
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So I've found the key to the Plasma Caster is to think about it in the same way you do your regular nades. Use it to weaken players who are chasing and then clean up with your pistol, or spam it into objective areas, or fire one off the floor ahead of you before you rush into an area.

The weapon is basically granting you the ability to throw tons of nades in quick succession. I've found it much more useful and worth controlling since I've adopted that mindset.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@TiberiusAudley, it seems like we could fix Rig Strongholds by forging a canopy over top of nest to block nading over the wall off spawn from basement.

To fix Rig strongolds you'd have to fix BR base. Thing is too open with too many sight lines on it for it to be meaningful. Railgun doesn't even help you defend it.

To fix Rig strongolds you'd have to fix BR base. Thing is too open with too many sight lines on it for it to be meaningful. Railgun doesn't even help you defend it.

Put BR Base in Railgun and Railgun in BR Base. Problem sort-of solved.

• Upvote (+1) 1