zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

You taught someone how to input que? I'm surprised, I thought I was the only one who actively exploited it.

By the way, button (input) queing is also how thrust canceling works. Just wanted to give a little bit of Halo science trivia.

I assume you are referring to Thrust Canceling as when you shoot during the frames where your reticle isn't active? Yeah same concept.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You taught someone how to input que? I'm surprised, I thought I was the only one who actively exploited it.

By the way, button (input) queing is also how thrust canceling works. Just wanted to give a little bit of Halo science trivia.

What is this input que? How do I do it?

Thanks.

What is this input que? How do I do it?

Thanks.

Explanation: There are some actions you can que, as in when you hold it, your Spartan will activate them whenever possible. Command queing takes advantage of this fact.

If you thrust and hold the right trigger, you'll fire immediately after the thrust animation ends.

Fast falling works on a similar principle, queing crouch and jump while thrusting to trigger the fast stop button combo.

Fast stop is slide + jump. The timing is hard, but since thrust allows you to que them both, they'll trigger exactly at the same time, making it much easier.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Question: What do you guys think about lowering the Sniper Rifle to a T2 weapon and nerfing it's mag/ammo/AA to compensate? The weapon becomes more situational like the other T2 weapons in practice (effectively we get our difficult yet rewarding Sniper back), but it will effectively be much better than it's current iteration, which is easily the best power weapon in the game (hence it's 3 minute timer).

The only big drawback to this is the possible chaining of Snipers, but realistically speaking we would have a much more competitively viable sniper and more power weapons on map to promote movement.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fast stop

Speaking of this (which I call Slide Canceling), do we think there is any application for it?

If you can land the Jump+Slide input (which is incredibly difficult) then it allows you to cancel a Sprint and then Thrust back very quickly, allowing you to turn back on a Sprint that you committed to.

However if you Buffer the Jump + Slide via a Thrust, then I'm curious as to whether Slide Canceling has any application.

Speaking of this (which I call Slide Canceling), do we think there is any application for it?

If you can land the Jump+Slide input (which is incredibly difficult) then it allows you to cancel a Sprint and then Thrust back very quickly, allowing you to turn back on a Sprint that you committed to.

However if you Buffer the Jump + Slide via a Thrust, then I'm curious as to whether Slide Canceling has any application.

Note: thrust + fast stop = fast fall / ramp launch technique

Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

On paper, fast stop sounds useful, but the button combo itself is plagued with a massive issue. It requires impossibly precise timing.

That's why it's normally paired with thrust, to eliminate that problem.

Halo Science Stuff: Thrust has a unique property that makes it useful for techniques. While its animation is active, all player actions except for aiming are locked. This allows for command queing, activating one or more non-overlapping actions immediately after the animation ends. As mentioned before, the simplest utilization of this principle is thrust cancelling.

At the moment, there are two techniques for slide boosting: "true" and "safe". This particular thread is for the true slide boost technique.

The difference is that the true technique only ques slide, while the safe technique ques the fast stop button combo. As for their results, true slide boosting seems to net a higher launch speed, but safe slide boosting is easier and can be used to fast fall from ledges.

So to answer your question, slide cancelling definitely has an application when buffered with thrust, but it's something we've already been doing. All it is is the "jump + crouch" slide boost.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, time to revive this thread since the H5G discussion thread is currently going through it's Team Beyond Circle-jerk of useless information and negativity phase:

Here's some general tips I've found while spamming Warzone Assault for REQs:

1 - I don't know how 343i is approaching REQ balance, but the Whiplash is easily the most gamebreaking low tier weapon in the sandbox at the moment. It's high ammo count, ridiculous magnetism (proximity air fuse... haha) and fast charge time make it such a lethal force. If there is going to be balancing done on REQ's this is the most clear offender.

2 - You can enter the base on Array through the long ramp that you normally run through to reach spire in normal Warzone. The rocks on the right side (as if you were on the spire facing the opening) allow you to clamber up with a crouch jump/stabilizer jump. This is especially useful on offense with a BR because you can pick off people on Spire from the nest.

3 - You can slide boost off of the stairs on Dispatch near tunnel spawn to boost yourself quickly towards the Garage and avoid the spawn trap that is normally set up there by Offense.

Anyways, I'll post things as I go. Trying to keep this thread alive for obvious reasons. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So here's some strategies me and my friends have learned for Arena.

-Light Rifle and the Flowers Ledge are the best spots to give support fire in Plaza. Put two teammates on Snipe and OV Bridge and watch the enemy squirm.

-After getting Rockets and/or Sniper, never leave the Red Tower in Pegasus. The Overshield is never worth it if you keep watch at Blue Yard.

-Practice the jump-up from Bottom to Top Mid on Fathom. Eight times outta ten, the enemy doesn't expect it. Bonus points if you grab an SMG beforehand.

-On Empire and Coliseum Slayer, control the Top Mid/Snipe Tower and watch both bases for spawns. Have two guys search for the enemy, and the other two holding position.

-Blue Tower and Top Catwalk are your friend on Eden. Keep those positions top priority.

-For Regret and Truth, hold down the Ramparts/Carbine Bubbles along with watching Top Mid. Pink Tower is no longer the powerhouse position it used to be.

-Junction and BR Tower are effective in Slayer on Rig. For Strongholds, switch BR Tower over to Basement. Watch that Scattershot.

Hot damn, that's interesting. It's like an upwards slide boost minus the slide. Is it just thrusting into map geometry?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Slide boost is gonna messed with asymmetrical maps initial respawn. Right now for example blue side plaza with boost can get the sniper in seconds. While red team is still running. Y fear there are gonna patch it just because of that, asymmetrical maps imbalance.

Hot damn, that's interesting. It's like an upwards slide boost minus the slide. Is it just thrusting into map geometry?

Just with practice you get it down, you literally just thrust lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

never leave the Red Tower in Pegasus. The Overshield is never worth it

I wish my randoms would understand.

If insane meta = murdering map design. The maps were already suffering from the swiss cheese effect, now its been amplified with these thrusts.

Looks like we found that guy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone explain me the exact timing for the "Thrust Launch" please ? I'm able to do it, but not as high as the guy in the video.

So where is this video that Benson was working on with MLG?

Also, How cool would it be if we could use the classic BR in arena and not just warzone? 

Can someone explain me the exact timing for the "Thrust Launch" please ? I'm able to do it, but not as high as the guy in the video.

Basically the moment you run into the geometry.

Some known jumps with it:

Front base to top Cat on Coliseum

Front base to enemy Flag on Coliseum

Bottom Mid (from House) to Top Camo on Gambol

P1 to P2 on Truth

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about all of this. I don't believe this thrust up geometry is intentional neither is the slide boost. I like advanced movement techniques if they require chaining or precision to do, but I also dislike breaking map geometry and flow. These glitches seem unintentional, add to the depth of the game but throws out the flow of the maps.

I haven't even tried this yet so we'll see if this is something more important than the slide boosts.

I don't think these thrust launches will be super prevalent. The ones Gohan showed at Coliseum are bad moves IMO unless you are running the flag and can toss it. The jump from front red to s3 is super risky since you're out in the open for at least 3 seconds I think. The thing is a lot of these are where a competent team will call you out on it and you'll be shot once or twice before the engagement.

I like the p1 to p2 one though. Front base to flag has some validity but if enemies have control of snipe or rockets, you'll be down in shots easy. Not talking balance or whatever but you can't do these all randomly. You will have to put some thought into enemy position and your teams map prevalence.

not sure how much this counts as strategy, but what sens are you guys playing on?  cannot figure mine out ... I've gone from 3 to 7 

not sure how much this counts as strategy, but what sens are you guys playing on? cannot figure mine out ... I've gone from 3 to 7

4. There really is no need to go above 6 honestly. Your shot will just get sloppy. 4 is probably the lowest I would recommend since 3 is a little too slow. Its better to have a consistent shot than a fast turn speed.