zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

I've messed around a little on it and my execution is like 50/50. Tbh its not too hard to learn. One trick I found is getting OS from Blue/Red Car on Regret by Fast falling and jumping to OS. Any tips on doing it better? It seems like you just Theust to the edge and slide but idk if there is any other parameters that might help making it easier. You traverse the map like crazy with this though

Also for anyone who doesn't know how to Thrust Slide, here

xboxDVR wouldn't work so apologies for quality

How to do Thrust Slide

1st, go to controller and have the option "Maintain Sprint" OFF

Then when you are Thrusting, hold crouch and you should get it down. The timing is very forgiving so it shouldn't be to hard

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And people day 1 said Slide was useless lol

Edit: So I have a question, does anyone know the reason why Suppressors spawn by Rockets? This is common in Eden and Coliseum, which are the only maps with a Rockets spawn. They are always around Rockets and I'm certain they made it that way with some meaning behind it. Has anyone figured anything out with Suppressors? I feel they're all but useless in the game. They're only good if you pre-fire but doing that makes you spotted and enemies will know what gun you are using and they know you want to approach. The kill time is so weak with the gun that I cant see it as a counter to Rockets and it's certainly not a combo with Rockets. Any gun that would be beneficial to a Rocket combo (one that can clean up one shots) outclasses the Suppressor completely. The only positive the Suppressor has is that it tracks and can therefore beat enemies in cover but Rockets do that better anyways lol.

Maybe I'll have to test out Suppressor and Rockets interactions 

• Upvote (+1) 1

And people day 1 said Slide was useless lol

I did say that. I'm glad to be proven wrong but I honestly think this is one of those mechanics that luckily worked out and was not a planned feature. I think it's just a side effect of combining abilities which regardless of intention, is awesome. I really didn't see any room for depth or ways to include slide into something better than what everyone had already figured out by the end of the beta.

A developer can come along and say "well, no we planned exactly for that" but I'm still a bit skeptical. It's a great find though and addition to the meta.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I did say that. I'm glad to be proven wrong but I honestly think this is one of those mechanics that luckily worked out and was not a planned feature. I think it's just a side effect of combining abilities which regardless of intention, is awesome. I really didn't see any room for depth or ways to include slide into something better than what everyone had already figured out by the end of the beta.

A developer can come along and say "well, no we planned exactly for that" but I'm still a bit skeptical. It's a great find though and addition to the meta.

Oh yea I agree that Thrust Slide and Fast Fall weren't intended, but this sort of stuff is sort of how competitive games (mainly FGs to be fair idk any other games off the top of my head) fleshes out. But yea I can agree with what you're saying for the most part, I did think Sliding and thrusting afterwords was the most optimal way to enter a room when oyu know enemies are there (Especailly when you know Rockets/Sniper are there, they miss a lot when you run in the room at the speed of light lol) 

I think Thruster is going to be equivalent of the X button from Halo 2. In h2 a lot of stuff were possible because of X cancelling a ton of things and I think Thruster does the same(ish). Examples being IIRC Melee > Cancel on 1st frame of impact (ideally) to Thruster > Thrust Cancel Shot is faster than 2 melees (and much more ambiguous). Then you have Thrust nades, Thrust Slide, Fast Fall, etc. The forward momentum shift from thrust I think is making a lot of ridiculously cool tech come up. 

I'm starting to theorize some incredibly out of there stuff with Thrust, maybe if you time it right you can shoot projectiles in the game (not hitscan obviously) faster to hit by Thrusting in the right time. 

Halo Science Stuff Below:

Since it's a similar to slide boosting but not the same, I think I'll call it fall/slam boosting or just slamming for now to differentiate the two, in reference to crunching sound from hitting the floor.

I'll make a guide on how to do it later, but the gist of it is that it relies on a specific technique to instantly stop movement, meaning it can be done without thrust. Thrust just makes it much easier by taking advantage of the animation delay and command queing to eliminate the precise timing needed for the button combo to work.

As an added note, you can also ramp launch yourself with it, just like you can with slide boosting.

Here's a practical usage of it:

http://i.imgur.com/bRg4qrc.gifv

Source: myself

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay Fast Falling and Slide Boosting are honestly some of the coolest things I've ever seen in a Halo game. New tech b o y z

So Bunnies and I have come to the conclusion that the Suppressor is a hidden solid weapon. This gun is way better than I previously thought after doing a little testing

Suppressor has a niche being mid/long range but terrible in CQC. Considering the maps it is in (Coliseum and Eden), it works well in those ranges. To put it simply, this gun is a thumbless auto tracking, long range auto gun. The track is almost absurd, its range is long enough to hit players on S3 of Coli while they're on Rockets, it's scope is good, it barely loses to Pistol (beats it if Pistol misses 1-2 shots IIRC), easy for long range clean up kills with its tracking. Its sped up fire rate (which takes about 4-5 shots) is very fast and damaging (Beats a lot of weapons with it being on full fire mode).

This gun is practically an anti scope machine. It constantly places shots so its basically impossible to scope in after a Suppressor starts shooting you and if it has first shot, definitely don't try. Also, thrust cancelling keeps the full fire mode, so you can thrust cancel and still have the huge advantage of Suppressors full fire mode. And the magazine on this gun is pretty high so you can shoot for some time before you need to reload

I'm most definitely dropping an AR and possibly an SMG for the Suppressor.

The only theory bunnies and I have come up with though on Rockets being placed by Suppressor is that Suppressor is a thumbless clean up weapon while also being able to deal with midish range relatively well. 

Also, after some testing with Plasma Pistol, it's absurdly strong. I cant recall what the range was but I was Back Blue bend on Eden while PP user was back Red Bend and had RRR while scoped in. The longest LoS we could think of on Plaza was Sneak to Hotel and that worked as well. I started using it in MM and I'm making constant one shots for my teammates.

Personally I would drop my AR, SMG, Suppressor, Storm, Shotgun, for a PP considering the amount of range, mental threat and damage you can inflict with how strong the tracking is. You will be a threat on the map with this thing and be an excellent support player with it. 

IIRC Plasma Pistol only spawns on Regret (Top Car) and Truth (Car 1 Lift)

Edit: Oh and DMR is 6sk to the body for anyone who didn't know. Pick that thing up the instant you see it spawn lol

• Upvote (+1) 5

So Bunnies and I have come to the conclusion that the Suppressor is a hidden solid weapon. This gun is way better than I previously thought after doing a little testing

Suppressor has a niche being mid/long range but terrible in CQC. Considering the maps it is in (Coliseum and Eden), it works well in those ranges. To put it simply, this gun is a thumbless auto tracking, long range auto gun. The track is almost absurd, its range is long enough to hit players on S3 of Coli while they're on Rockets, it's scope is good, it barely loses to Pistol (beats it if Pistol misses 1-2 shots IIRC), easy for long range clean up kills with its tracking. Its sped up fire rate (which takes about 4-5 shots) is very fast and damaging (Beats a lot of weapons with it being on full fire mode).

This gun is practically an anti scope machine. It constantly places shots so its basically impossible to scope in after a Suppressor starts shooting you and if it has first shot, definitely don't try. Also, thrust cancelling keeps the full fire mode, so you can thrust cancel and still have the huge advantage of Suppressors full fire mode. And the magazine on this gun is pretty high so you can shoot for some time before you need to reload

I'm most definitely dropping an AR and possibly an SMG for the Suppressor.

The only theory bunnies and I have come up with though on Rockets being placed by Suppressor is that Suppressor is a thumbless clean up weapon while also being able to deal with midish range relatively well. 

Also, after some testing with Plasma Pistol, it's absurdly strong. I cant recall what the range was but I was Back Blue bend on Eden while PP user was back Red Bend and had RRR while scoped in. The longest LoS we could think of on Plaza was Sneak to Hotel and that worked as well. I started using it in MM and I'm making constant one shots for my teammates.

Personally I would drop my AR, SMG, Suppressor, Storm, Shotgun, for a PP considering the amount of range, mental threat and damage you can inflict with how strong the tracking is. You will be a threat on the map with this thing and be an excellent support player with it. 

Edit: Oh and DMR is 6sk to the body for anyone who didn't know. Pick that thing up the instant you see it spawn lol

catch me up to speed: thrust cancelling? 

also, what's your gt?

Dip on Plaza, Turbine on Empire, Pit on Eden. You need to know these if you're gonna be a PP master

The act of thrusting between shots to replace those unused frames with Thruster (and shooting again before the animation is over). Especially useful on the Light Rifle, due to it's slow rate of fire. It's nice with suppressor, because it doesn't require you to "wind up" the suppressor again after a thrust, which we originally assumed it would.

• Upvote (+1) 2

also, what's your gt?

Thrust cancelling is when you shoot on the recovery period (the end lag) of a Thrust before your reticule shows up (technically). IDK any other name for it so I'm just calling it that. All you have to do is hold RT right after pressing what your Thruster is

Edit: Cookies  and bunnies explain it better than I do so read their explanation

Here's a video showing it

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xWicked%20Swami/video/12694435

my GT is xWicked Swami if anyone here wants to add me to play games or test stuff, just send me a message and I'll add you back.

Pretty sure I added you yesterday though when we played with Yelyts (GGs btw) 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thrust cancelling is when you shoot on the recovery period (the end lag) of a Thrust before your reticule shows up (technically). IDK any other name for it so I'm just calling it that. All you have to do is hold RT right after pressing what your Thruster is

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xWicked%20Swami/video/12694435

my GT is xWicked Swami if anyone here wants to add me to play games or test stuff, just send me a message and I'll add you back.

Pretty sure I added you yesterday though when we played with Yelyts (GGs btw) 

oh shit no way! yeah ggs. 

gotcha gotcha. Do you know if that starts the cooldown period, or is that set when you first thrust?

I haven't used the Suppressor much... but I want to talk about the PP.

If you have an SMG, you should consider keeping the PP as the alternate weapon. Sure you might want to drop the SMG for a DMR or BR which are both very powerful clean up weapons and have much greater range, but the SMG is extremely powerful against health. In fact it's even better than the AR at mid to long range sometimes. Short range is definitely a powerhouse though. The other day I tested something out I now refer to as the "scrub combo".

Check out this part of a video I made: https://youtu.be/bRD1yPqIuDI?t=5m42s

It melts extremely fast and on a map like Empire or Plaza, you can get away with running a weapon combo like this if you're smart about your map movement.

PP also spawns in Turbine in the center (towards OS) and also around bottom mid on Plaza.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Recycling frames using thrust delay and firing instantly when it's over. Here's a short clip. Notice how I fire a shot and then thrust, and I instantly fire again when the animation ends.

It's a lot more useful with the Light Rifle.

I haven't used the Suppressor much... but I want to talk about the PP.

If you have an SMG, you should consider keeping the PP as the alternate weapon. Sure you might want to drop the SMG for a DMR or BR which are both very powerful clean up weapons and have much greater range, but the SMG is extremely powerful against health. In fact it's even better than the AR at mid to long range sometimes. Short range is definitely a powerhouse though. The other day I tested something out I now refer to as the "scrub combo".

Check out this part of a video I made: https://youtu.be/bRD1yPqIuDI?t=5m42s

It melts extremely fast and on a map like Empire or Plaza, you can get away with running a weapon combo like this if you're smart about your map movement.

PP also spawns in Turbine in the center (towards OS) and also around bottom mid on Plaza.

Alright yea I'm messing with that combo next time I hop on. That looks disgusting especially on Empire.

So assuming a teammate is running this, where would he want to go with Scrub combo (lol)? Plaza feels a little open so I guess if you're setting up on Snipe maybe Light Rifle spawns? idk. I can definitely see this being very good on Empire though, that map is basically CQC only lol. But yea you cant really run around a lot with this combo, you'll get picked off I would feel

oh shit no way! yeah ggs. 

gotcha gotcha. Do you know if that starts the cooldown period, or is that set when you first thrust?

Haha yea lol

And good question, I actually don't know. Just from looking at vetoeds video again I'd say it starts right when you first thrust. I don't have anything to test the frames on the cooldown but I did stop watch it lmao. I got about 4 seconds or so of cooldown

Alright yea I'm messing with that combo next time I hop on. That looks disgusting especially on Empire.

So assuming a teammate is running this, where would he want to go with Scrub combo (lol)? Plaza feels a little open so I guess if you're setting up on Snipe maybe Light Rifle spawns? idk. I can definitely see this being very good on Empire though, that map is basically CQC only lol. But yea you cant really run around a lot with this combo, you'll get picked off I would feel

Controlling Blue and Garden (Hydra room) seems ideal for this weapon combo (which where the SMG spawns too). You have a lot of escape routes, entry points, places to sneak in, but the sight lines aren't long enough for precision weapons to be dominant. 

Green/sniper side might be a bit harder though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Scrub Combo"

Love the name for that. Can the name for PP and Storm Rifle be called "Trash Combo?"

Love seeing the game being learned despite its shortcomings. Also noticed on that vid you posted, at 13:16, someone used the Slide Punch on you! Brought a smile to my face seeing uncovered meta being used. We'll soon be seeing the new Ramp Boost and the Fast Fall in more gameplay vids. Can't wait.

I've tried out PP with storm rifle, SMG and AR, and I honestly think it synerges the best with the AR.

The SR combo does the most damage but you don't have a lot of range, the SMG is really good (especially on health) but you don't have a lot of range either. With the AR you can get one shot kills from any range you can get zoomed RRR on with the PP, and like akuma found out the range is pretty far.

The first three shots from the AR seem to be without any kind of spread, and since you only need 2 headshots to kill a guy after a charged shot, you can even miss the first one. I've killed people literally cross map like this.

HOW DO YOU RAMP BOOST AND FAST FALL

TELL ME NOW

1. Sprint until you can charge or slide.

2. Find any ramp or drop.

3. Thrust to it, but not off of it.

4. Hold jump + crouch. If you did it right, you'll either gain a ton of horizontal speed if it's a ramp or plummet to the ground if it's a drop.

5. If it was a ramp, tap jump again after the speed boost and it'll send you flying. You can then bunny hop to maintain a portion the speed.

There you go. It's a lot easier than slide boosting.

1. Sprint until you can charge or slide.

2. Find any ramp or drop.

3. Thrust to it, but not off of it.

4. Hold jump + crouch. If you did it right, you'll either gain a ton of horizontal speed if it's a ramp or plummet to the ground if it's a drop.

5. If it was a ramp, tap jump again after the speed boost and it'll send you flying. You can then bunny hop to maintain a portion the speed.

There you go. It's a lot easier than slide boosting.

I've seen somene do this from snipe ramp to cinema on Plaza. Is that the case for every ramp or is it dependent on the steepness and size?