zZunair

Halo 5: Guardians - Meta/Strategy Discussion

Happy to see this finally start up. I'm excited to see what people will share with others as the game progresses. In the meantime, I guess I'll give a general map analysis so far after all the footage that gushed forth today.

Edit: Making an update to say what weapons are on what maps!

Plaza

Slayer-Sniper Rifle, Overshield, Hydra

Strongholds-Railgun, Hydra, Active Camo

This map surprised me. There are so many jumps and shortcuts all over the place, that an expert player wouldn't dream of traversing the map with Sprint. It's probably the largest 4v4 map in the game, but it plays small when you know what you're doing. If you really want to succeed on this map, avoid the floor like its lava and stay high.

Rig

Slayer-Plasma Caster, Sniper, Active Camo, Scattershot

Strongholds-Railgun replaces Sniper

The area that had the most action was the Sniper perch, and there is so many ways to fight for it. I haven't seen anyone try using the outside windows to jump from the first floor to the second, or vice versa. Camo works wonders on this map combined w/Plasma Caster and/or Snipe. Would love to see this map with Strongholds as its gametype in HCS.

Eden

Slayer/Strongholds-Rocket Launcher, Sniper, Overshield, Active Camo, Hydra, Shotgun

Pleased with the Power Weapon changes they did, and even making both the Overshield and Camo available. Slayer seems like it plays a bit faster this time around, and Strongholds is yet again a fantastic gametype. Can't wait to juke players with the controllable cover near the Rockets, or make a jump on top catwalk that makes you feel like an acrobat.

Regret

Slayer/Flag-Fuel Rod Cannon,Overshield, Needler

Changing the color of the grass on each side of the map is an interesting change, but I'm happy the map stayed intact from the beta; jumps and all. Fuel Rod Cannon looks stupid fun to use and abuse, and the OV bottom mid was a nice choice. Light Rifles are no longer on top mid, which makes it more challenging to hold it. All in all, it's nice to see this map again.

Truth

Slayer/Flag-Plasma Caster, Sword, Active Camo

I'm a bit iffy on this one. I like the new weapon changes, but the map itself still plays poorly with Slayer. Flag was more exciting to watch, especially when watching some of the streamers utilize the good ol' Pink Tower strat. Was nice to see it still worked, even with the new movement. None of the jumps from the beta seemed to disappear either, so I'll feel right at home jumping in again.

Coliseum

Slayer/Flag-Rocket Launcher, Sniper, Scattershot

So. Many. Flag routes. This might be one of the best Flag maps we've seen in a long time. Sneaky caps, jumping from Red Bridge to Top Mid to Blue Bridge, the lift shenanigans (So many Flag ground pounds, glorious), the tension of finding where the enemy Flag carrier's hiding... and the JUMPS! Great googly moogly, the jumps you can do! This will be one of my favorites.

Empire

Slayer-Plasma Caster, Shotgun, Overshield

Strongholds-Shotgun replaced w/Scattershot

Glad to see the Shotgun/Scattershot not being a large problem on this map. Slayer is a chaotic scramble to grab the next OV, while smarter players use the Plasma Pistol and the Caster to bait out unsuspecting fools. Strongholds, needless to say, is the best gametype to play on, making the chaos more hectic threefold. This map will always be a rush each time you play it.

Fathom

-Railgun, Active Camo

Railgun and Camo was a good change for this map. Slayer still takes some good thinking and teamwork to win against the enemy, and Flag has nice strategies to accommodate most Flag runners. Light Rifles will be the deciding factor for the game, especially if they are used top mid. Scary thought, but I'd love to see this map grow.

That's all I got for now, but I hope to share my thoughts and see others share theirs. Thanks again, Akuma, for setting up this post.

• Upvote (+1) 7

- You can stall jump using the stabilizers instead of ground pound. WARHOLIC used it quite often in his stream.

- The Storm Rifle is a CQC monster. Seriously. Pick it up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do any of you know if you can dodge plasma pistol shots with thrust? I'd assume you can which is why they made the tracking so strong. Seems like a good trade off to me

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you guys also put in the Power weapon locations for each map?

Is there bleedthrough in H5? And 2 shot + melee BR? 

No and yes from what I've seen.

I guess it's like H4 where the BR will act like it bleeds through because of it firing in bursts.

From watching Goldenboy's stream last night, the Carbine actually looks potent in H5.  It's got a really high RoF and even though he couldn't aim the pistol, he was dominating with the unscoped Carbine.

Some streamer was showing that if you Spartan Charge into a wall you bounce back quite a bit... First one to ninja a guy chasing him like by bouncing of the wall in front of them wins!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you guys also put in the Power weapon locations for each map?

Soul Flame actually posted it all so you're good there. 

From watching Goldenboy's stream last night, the Carbine actually looks potent in H5.  It's got a really high RoF and even though he couldn't aim the pistol, he was dominating with the unscoped Carbine.

Carbine is really dirty and can land a lot more shots than any other gun 

Is there bleedthrough in H5? And 2 shot + melee BR? 

BR I believe is bleedthrough but other single shot guns are not. Not 100% sure though

Do any of you know if you can dodge plasma pistol shots with thrust? I'd assume you can which is why they made the tracking so strong. Seems like a good trade off to me

You can definitely do it by dodging to cover or going down vertically. There's some stuff you can do for sure

Ghandi Hopping and Crouch Strafing are extremely effective during 1v1s and 1v2s. One of the best strafes I've seen and done is Sprinting into a closed off area like Truth's P2 and activating a Slide, putting shots while Crouch strafing, and if a second guy shows up just as you finish the kill, Ghandhi Hop one direction and then Thrust the other.

Very satisfying.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Haven't seen a lot of gandhi hopping but crouch strafing is ridiculous with how you can just strafe, crouch for a second w/out stopping and pop right back up. It's so good lol.

For Eden Stronghold at first I was thinking that you should hold Catwalk (for high position) and Blue Bend (rockets) but I'm starting to think you should control Red Nest and Blue Bend. You get LR, Rockets, OS and compete for Snipe. You do want to try competing for Camo though as it's pretty strong in this game.

I think someone with Carbine or BR should go P3 on Truth. Preferably Carbine, that gun lets you place soooo many shots

Pretty sure Gambol Breakout is going to be super central on whoever has DMR and if they can eliminate the enemy DMR or at least subside him. Also, DMRs do respawn I think

Storm Rifle either does around 6-9 shots to knock shields off. Pretty good

Melee has a good amount of start up frames to this game. So you cant just mash it out hoping for a trade, you'll probably lose

How do you use Stabilizers? Lol

Clamber is pretty forgiving in this game, you can make some really unexpected jumps.

You can GP from enemy window on Truth to Car 1 for a quick escape if you're getting shot on the back and need a place to escape. 

Pistol can place 2 shots before a BR can place 1. Dunno the math on the rest tho

Pretty sure Plasma Caster do launch weapons...if so, holy infinite Caster lol

None of the guns have spread but BR does have a recoil that goes upwards.

I think it MIGHT be possible to cancel reload animations with Thruster or Sprint. Guess I'll experiment with it after the game launches

I'm thinking order of control on Truth is control Car 2 (waaaaay too much cover) , Pink tower (for P3 and flag routes), then top mid (cover more of the map). P3 looks ridiculous because of the amount of cover you get. If you feel the enemy has too many shots on you in their side, just go to your p3 and you'll have cover and can ping shots.  Use Car bubbles for heavy harassment with additional cover. Splinter nades also cover basically a whole door of Truth. 

Fathom Slayer does seem to not be static spawns. So I'm thinking controlling Trees and just that. Stay in that area and grab the occasional LR when a teammate dies, get Rail every spawn and get Camo bottom mid. 

Fathom CTF doesn't seem really difficult. I think I have a decent starting strat to go with it so far. 1 grab LR, Thrust out window to left to go to Tree, other goes to Splinter nades (he grabs splinter and flanks any enemy either trying to do jump up or go for camo) , 3rd player runs straight to camo and 4th does the jump up for Rail gun. If you win that first battle, you'll have 1 in their side most likely forcing BR spawns, 2 top mid (one with LR and one with Railgun) and 4th player has camo or at least burned it. Perfect way to do a heavy push and not let the enemy get a break. 

CTF runs in Fathom seem simple enough. Just control one side and they spawn in the other one. I'm thinking use Splinter nades in areas that they'll want to go to so you can at least get the hit marker to know where they're at so you can call out. Because this map looks heavy in counter caps. Also LR top mid or enemy BR looks dirty since one scoped shot can force enemies to not Sprint at all and if they do, they're taking a huge risk by entering a battle with 50% shields. 

Whoever has BR/Carbine should definitely be on Car bubble lol, so much harassment can be made

All I got from videos so far. 

seems like there are plasma grenades on Fathom set up for launching the railgun. 

seems like there are plasma grenades on Fathom set up for launching the railgun. 

Where at? in the base?

Where at? in the base?

http://www.halopedia.org/File:Fathom_map.png

They are still at "G" on both sides of the map. 

Looking at the placement of plasmas on most maps it seems like they place them in areas where it would be plausible to nade a weapon, such as by the sniper on coliseum as well. (for the rockets). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where at? in the base?

In the right hand cubby hole in each "Treehouse" (in game callout by the radar).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Awesome, maybe I'll have to start noting down where Plasmas spawn then. All I know is Window on Truth has 2 plasmas for an easy nade trick for Caster.

Actually, you know what would be sick? Considering how far these weapons go, could you maybe throw a plasma toward the outside of Car 1 for Sword to fly to lift and be on Car 2? Shit would be hype if you could do that lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the Battle Rifle have a faster kill time than the DMR and Carbine? Does anyone know the kill times for these weapons and others?

Does the Battle Rifle have a faster kill time than the DMR and Carbine? Does anyone know the kill times for these weapons and others?

Carbine samish as BR IIRC, DMR is faster. I don't have the KTs on my but I do know Pistol is around 1.2 or so. I'll probably do the math with someone on the first week and get the KTs for all the guns by the first week 

What do you guys think the best controller layout would be to use all the mechanics effectively? I heard that the Default Button style has Crouch as the Right Stick Button, kinda hard to aim consistently if your crouch jumping/strafing right? Also assume i don't have Elite/Scuf Controller.

I think L trigger to zoom is going to end up being pretty damn good, you can reprogram your remote with the new update, elite or not.

Carbine samish as BR IIRC, DMR is faster. I don't have the KTs on my but I do know Pistol is around 1.2 or so. I'll probably do the math with someone on the first week and get the KTs for all the guns by the first week 

I read somewhere the Magnum was 1.2 while the BR was 1.6, but the BR was better at long range or something like that. Can't remember exactly. I don't know the kill times for Carbine, but it got almost no recoil or spread at all, so you can spam it as fast as you want.

I think L trigger to zoom is going to end up being pretty damn good, you can reprogram your remote with the new update, elite or not.

Do you know what you can reprogram? I only know about adjusting the deadzone.

Something nobody seems to be doing that I remember from the beta:

On Eden there were little power packs on the generator things in the interior courtyard which when destroyed would raise half of the platform for a while. There's also one on the big box outside of the turbine area which when destroyed lowers that box into the ground and causes two smaller walls to rise up on either side of it.

On Fathom there are red lights on the platforms/ramps in front of each base which look like they may have a similar dynamic effect when shot. I would imagine that taking advantage of dynamic aspects like these to improve your movement options or temporarily open up new lines of sight could be very useful once players understand the maps better.