Pyroteq

Why aren't people up in arms over lack of LAN support in Halo 5?

damn man, you are so hardcore. gonna teach my kids to be like you. 

I just don't understand why anyone would feel the need to comment on a thread, where a dude took a long time to come up with a great argument, and convey it properly, just for a couple of nerds to be like "pshhhh, who cares, I'M TO FOOKIN LEET FOR THAT GAME M8." Literally no one cares whether or not you are getting the game, and if you aren't, why would you waste your, and everyone else's time by posting it? Answer: to be an elitist, and act hxcore. Die nerds. 

As far as this OP's post goes, I couldn't agree more. It's been troubling to see LAN sorta disappear over the last two titles, and I can't believe after all the network issues 343 run tournaments had last year that they haven't addressed this. Honestly, I just hope the first tournament is a failure, so they can have LAN in by the time the million dollar tournament comes around. 

You're going to teach your kids to not buy products from companies that shit all over their hardcore fanbase?

Sounds like good parenting to me.

I think it's perfectly fine to express distaste about a product in a thread about one of the main issues with said product. That's just me, though. You can go ahead and spout whatever you need to in order to validate your pre-order purchase, but don't be upset when people don't share your enthusiasm, nerd.

Did you even read the post he was replying to? It was childish.

@@Aphex Twin @@reLIEgon

LAN  would be nice to have on "just in case" for the tournaments if internet or something goes down.

It shouldn't be there "just in case".

It should be there because LAN is superior to online.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Other games seem to do fine without it. Definitely sucks since we're so used to LAN and it's obviously the better choice if given an option, but online at low latency is the way of the future it seems. 

Other games seem to do fine without it.

Yeah, except :

• When servers go down
  • They get DDoS'ed
  • They get over whelmed on launch
  • Venue loses internet access
  • There's not enough bandwidth for the amount of clients on the network
  • The venue is too far from a dedicated server resulting in horrible latency

If that fits your definition of "fine", then yeah, I guess you could say it's fine.

Is there a single game without LAN capabilities that HASN'T had a tournament screwed over thanks to lack of LAN?

Halo 5 has had two events screwed up so far - and they're just the ones I know of personally and the game isn't even out yet!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's because the mass majority that play Halo never go to tournaments or LAN parties resulting in ignorance. it's hard as fuck to get 343 to do anything in an even remotely quick fashion, so the people that do care about this (a minority) probably realise that it A) isn't worth it and B ) you have to pick your battles with 343.

I don't think anyone here would argue with the fact that LAN is much better than online.

It's just that not enough people are aware that it's favorable, and the likely-hood of it changing is next to 0. So what's the point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's just that not enough people are aware that it's favorable, and the likely-hood of it changing is next to 0. So what's the point.

CoD was patched to allow LAN. I don't see a reason we can't get 343 to do the same if we try hard enough.

• Upvote (+1) 3

CoD was patched to allow LAN. I don't see a reason we can't get 343 to do the same if we try hard enough.

Advanced Warfare? It's not actual LAN. There have been times were the Internet in the venue went down and they couldn't play.

Advanced Warfare? It's not actual LAN. There have been times were the Internet in the venue went down and they couldn't play.

Ghosts apparently.

I don't actually own the game since I refuse to buy a new CoD every single year, but I've seen it from numerous sources:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/5/5472854/call-of-duty-ghosts-title-update-rolls-out-across-all-platforms-adds

(Sorry for Polygon)

http://charlieintel.com/2014/03/04/ghosts-now-supports-lan-for-xbox-one/

You sure?

Perhaps you have to be online, but it definitely supports LAN to an extent. At the very least you have the ability to authorise the accounts online through a 3G hotspot.

Thats what I meant by online check-in. The Xbox One required you to ping their servers every so often, hence the Internet requirement. You do play over a local area network though when all the consoles are connected to the same connection.

It is because only .05% of all halo players LAN or compete in tournaments. 

Id be curious to see how many people have attend an event on this forum? Id say probably 15% - 30% and that is being overly gracious. 

EDIT: i just did some quick numbers- 8 million halo 3 copies sold. Lets say a full bracket of 256 has 4 players = 1024 players at LAN. Out of the 8 million sold, 1024 players equates to .0128% of all players. 

Heck lets say 10,000 people compete/ LAN, that still only equals .125% of players

Id be curious to see how many people have attend an event on this forum? Id say probably 15% - 30% and that is being overly gracious.

Thats disregarding how important the local tournament scene can be to the whole popularity of competetive Halo.

I'm sure if locals became a thing like they used to be, most competitive players here would compete in a heartbeat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thats disregarding how important the local tournament scene can be to the whole popularity of competetive Halo.

I'm sure if locals became a thing like they used to be, most competitive players here would compete in a heartbeat.

Here in the tristate, we had a pretty big competitive scene. NJhalos would fill up but id say max 250 players and that is seriously pushing it. There would be like 30 to 64 doubles teams, 6 to 8 heats of FFA, and 8 full teams (4v4)

EDIT: i just did some quick numbers- 8 million halo 3 copies sold. Lets say a full bracket of 256 has 4 players = 1024 players at LAN. Out of the 8 million sold, 1024 players equates to .0128% of all players. 

Heck lets say 10,000 people compete/ LAN, that still only equals .125% of players

Not everyone that plays LAN is a competitor.

When Halo first came out I used to take my Xbox to my friends house and we'd play with about 6 people and they were all awful. We just enjoyed playing the game together.

People in the military enjoy playing Halo LAN's on their ships or at their remote bases where they often have no internet or extremely shitty internet.

My wife plays Halo and we enjoy playing co-op together. Every we play together we're playing LAN.

During Halo 2/3 we used to have local Xbox Cafes that were built around LAN games.

I'd say your figures are quite inaccurate, it's probably far more players utilising LAN capabilities in Halo. There are local Halo tournaments all around the world. Even if it's .125% of players, so what?

LAN isn't hard to implement. The game supports online, adding system link options would not be difficult at all - in fact the option probably already existed in early alpha's of the game. There are indie games made by a handful of people that support LAN. System link was important enough to add in previous Halo's, what's changed?

343 says they are focusing on eSports, removing LAN is the exact OPPOSITE of this.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No LAN is part of a stepping stone to controlling everything from out in the aether. This is absolutely, 100% not a case of resource triage.

This is the best comment on TB :flames:

Yeah, except :

• When servers go down
  • They get DDoS'ed
  • They get over whelmed on launch
  • Venue loses internet access
  • There's not enough bandwidth for the amount of clients on the network
  • The venue is too far from a dedicated server resulting in horrible latency

If that fits your definition of "fine", then yeah, I guess you could say it's fine.

Is there a single game without LAN capabilities that HASN'T had a tournament screwed over thanks to lack of LAN?

Halo 5 has had two events screwed up so far - and they're just the ones I know of personally and the game isn't even out yet!

Don't think League has really had any issues, least none that i've heard of. Starcraft 2 i've never really heard of problems. I don't think i've heard of many problems from any PC games honestly. Now I guess maybe it's different on console but idk, not enough of a sample size I suppose since we just started. Obviously Xbox and Microsoft need to be on their game for Halo 5, but hey they should be making it work anyways so.

Then there's Call of Duty that puts lag INTO the game anyways lol. 

Don't think League has really had any issues, least none that i've heard of. Starcraft 2 i've never really heard of problems. I don't think i've heard of many problems from any PC games honestly. Now I guess maybe it's different on console but idk, not enough of a sample size I suppose since we just started. Obviously Xbox and Microsoft need to be on their game for Halo 5, but hey they should be making it work anyways so.

Then there's Call of Duty that puts lag INTO the game anyways lol. 

DotA2 tournament delayed by DDoS

Starcraft 2 tournament delayed by internet issues

League of Legends tournament interrupted by internet issues

Plenty more examples if you look.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damn I was H5 hype then I read this.  I haven't kept up on H5 at all.  I understand dedicated servers are, in general, better, but I live far from any server so yay for tons of lag.  And no way around it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think this is just another example of a Developer not understanding what is important to the community. Remember that halo multiplayer fanbase was built off of LAN support with halo1. And people still come together and LAN halo 1, now 14 years later, because it is such a good experience.

I can't think of one logical  reason to not include LAN support for halo 5 especially when they are supposedly focusing on competitive and tournament gameplay. Except that MS seems to want you to do nothing with the xbox one unless you are connected to the internet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't even bring up the League one, that's 3 years old. Considering I didn't really hear about any of those tho, possibly not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. The League one was 3 years ago, SC2 and DOTA I would assume are taking huge precautions after it happened...and frankly i've seen people drop out of games on LAN so nothing is perfect. But yes like I said, LAN would be optimal but if this is what we have i'll deal with it since pretty much every game is played competitively like this now. 

I wouldn't even bring up the League one, that's 3 years old. Considering I didn't really hear about any of those tho, possibly not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. The League one was 3 years ago, SC2 and DOTA I would assume are taking huge precautions after it happened...and frankly i've seen people drop out of games on LAN so nothing is perfect. But yes like I said, LAN would be optimal but if this is what we have i'll deal with it since pretty much every game is played competitively like this now. 

Yeah, the LoL one was from 3 years ago.

The reason it's not an issue now is because Riot have a special tournament setup. I believe the games server is setup in their studio so they're playing on LAN (or something close to it).  DotA has a LAN client, although the issue at the moment is being able to spectate LAN games which is the only reason tournaments don't use it at the moment. I imagine Valve are working on this.

SC2 also has a LAN server available for organisations willing to protect it.

At the end of the day, all this shit is stupid and requires jumping through hoops just to play a fucking game with people in the same room which we've had no trouble doing the the past 20 years until developers turned into greedy fuckwits and wanted to control absolutely everything.

It's stupid.

Just give us LAN FFS.

Yeah, the LoL one was from 3 years ago.

The reason it's not an issue now is because Riot have a special tournament setup. I believe the games server is setup in their studio so they're playing on LAN (or something close to it).  DotA has a LAN client, although the issue at the moment is being able to spectate LAN games which is the only reason tournaments don't use it at the moment. I imagine Valve are working on this.

SC2 also has a LAN server available for organisations willing to protect it.

At the end of the day, all this shit is stupid and requires jumping through hoops just to play a fucking game with people in the same room which we've had no trouble doing the the past 20 years until developers turned into greedy fuckwits and wanted to control absolutely everything.

It's stupid.

Just give us LAN FFS.

Well...if it's so easy to add (which it should be one would assume) then why not add it? I'd assume there's some reason for them to forgo it. 

Because LAN isn't needed anymore.  It runs the same when connected locally through the internet and if you're actually playing somewhere without internet these days you are BY FAR the minority and need to get over it.

• Downvote (-1) 7

Because LAN isn't needed anymore.

It runs the same when connected locally through the internet

and if you're actually playing somewhere without internet these days you are BY FAR the minority and need to get over it.

Everything you said is wrong, I'm not going to bother explaining why but just know you are 100% incorrect

Well...if it's so easy to add (which it should be one would assume) then why not add it? I'd assume there's some reason for them to forgo it.

DRM aka $$$$$$$$$