Pyroteq

Why aren't people up in arms over lack of LAN support in Halo 5?

No LAN is part of a stepping stone to controlling everything from out in the aether. This is absolutely, 100% not a case of resource triage.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Right now I'm literally only worried about the game A) Coming out and B) How the game plays since the BETA. I say lets see how events are run without the LAN support and go from there. Yeah it's an issue, but I feel its an issue we as a community can easily overcome.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There's no LAN for the same reason they kept sprint and removed split screen.

They want to get rid of the vocal minority that keeps giving them bad press and sell their game to an audience that doesn't care about these things, simplifying things for the next game and the next.

EDIT: Whether it's completely intentional or not is up for debate, but they clearly don't prioritize the things that the vocal minority judge as essential to the experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Every year my buddies and I would head up to my family cabin in Lake Tahoe to have a gaming week.  There is no internet, phone, tv, cell service, or any other modern convenience.  Other than running water and electricity, we were completely off the grid.

There was something refreshing about being that remote where no wives, girlfriends, responsibilities etc. could get a hold of you.  Nothing but uninterrupted gaming.

Of course LAN has been taken away from so many games now on the Xbox ONE that we don't even bother going up anymore.  This is just another new game that would be awesome to LAN up there that we won't be able to.  Balls

Right now I'm literally only worried about the game A) Coming out and B) How the game plays since the BETA. I say lets see how events are run without the LAN support and go from there. Yeah it's an issue, but I feel its an issue we as a community can easily overcome.

These are the kind of statements where after you make them, you explain your reasoning.....

• Downvote (-1) 1

I just want to point out that dedicated servers and LAN aren't mutually exclusive.

You can run the Dedicated Server on a physical machine in the same room as all your players, and connect to it via LAN. This is strictly better than only lan or only dedis because there is very very low ping, and absolutely no host advantage.

All MS needs to do to make this problem go away is release the Dedicated Server executable and add in the ability to connect to an IP, and all of these problems will go away. Although, tbh there is roughly 0% chance that will happen, even though there aren't really even any negatives to doing so...

Well yes, this is true, however only a large tournament like MLG would ever bother with such a setup.

They could also just have a spectator host the game on LAN for the same effect so it's neutral host. The Halo 5 netcode did feel pretty good in the beta, so I can't imagine there will be noticeable host advantage on LAN but who knows what issues might pop up after hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Every year my buddies and I would head up to my family cabin in Lake Tahoe to have a gaming week.  There is no internet, phone, tv, cell service, or any other modern convenience.  Other than running water and electricity, we were completely off the grid.

There was something refreshing about being that remote where no wives, girlfriends, responsibilities etc. could get a hold of you.  Nothing but uninterrupted gaming.

Of course LAN has been taken away from so many games now on the Xbox ONE that we don't even bother going up anymore.  This is just another new game that would be awesome to LAN up there that we won't be able to.  Balls

Haven't done anything that extreme, but a good number of LAN's I've been to have had no internet access and many of the biggest tournaments here have been done with very limited internet access.

Basically the internet was used to authenticate accounts and that's all it was good for. Our video stream had to be broadcast from a 3G connection.

Want to know what's even worse?

https://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/us-navy-serviceman-calls-xbox-ones-24-hour-online-check-a-sin-committed-against-all-service-members/

These poor men and women stationed overseas, on ships or in remote military bases around the world lose access to one of the few joys they have to keep them entertained.

343, why do you hate military servicemen and women?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe also post certain places where we can voice our opinions? 

be at reddit, halowaypoint or ....forgehub?

Cuz right now we're still complaining about it in one spot. It'll be more effective to branch out to other places too.

Well I'm not going to buy halo 5 so I don't feel like complaining when i got so much other stuff on the mcc to complain about.

also heard a rumor on here that there will be special halo 5's that have lan support that will be used for tournaments.

"I'm not going to get halo 5".. Go play Super Nintendo
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Maybe also post certain places where we can voice our opinions? 

be at reddit, halowaypoint or ....forgehub?

Cuz right now we're still complaining about it in one spot. It'll be more effective to branch out to other places too.

I made a video months ago. I posted it here but it was just brushed off and no one seemed to care.

Feel free to share it.

You could also link this thread or copy/paste it to other areas. Don't bother crediting me, I don't care. I just want to see LAN capabilties in Halo 5, that's all I care about.

I don't want to push my luck on Reddit because apparently posting content I've written is classified as "self-promotion", even though my content is pro-consumer and I have thousands of posts compared to by submissions. Reddit HATES original content unfortunately and I refuse to post dumb memes all day just to pad my submission ratio. Pfft.

http://esports-nation.com/no-offline-lan-support-could-hurt-halo-5/

This article is also pretty good. Disclaimer: I came across this article randomly. I don't know the author but my video is used in the article. It's one of the very few articles I could find when I did a Google search.

But yes, I completely agree. Posting this sort of thing here is (mostly) preaching to the choir. We have already seen a Halo 5 tournament interrupted due to internet issues. We need ALL Halo fans to be on board with this if we want to see a change.

Perhaps we could start a Twitter hashtag?

I'm not a very social minded person (get off my lawn). Do we have anyone here with thousands of followers that would be willing to retweet something and get others retweeting it at 343?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same with sprint, armour abilities, stupidly big maps, no more search preferences, one man theatre etc etc etc.

At this point people are getting used to the crap put in/features getting removed and are giving up trying to fight it which is a shame.

This has been my biggest concern going into Halo 5 since it was announced that there would be no LAN support.  I think the reason this isn't getting as much attention is mostly due to lack of education around what this even means.  You cannot have internet access without a LAN network.  In the feedback thread for halo 5 esports I stated that unless this issue was addressed it wasn't even worth discussing anything else.  If at the core of your game, you cannot even reliably host a tournament, you lose all credibility.  Having a tournament halted because of internet connectivity issues in 2015 is laughable. The stream going down is one thing, that is internet related.  But as you mentioned, people are misconstruing the benefits of dedicated servers vs. the lack of LAN support.  Hell, the way Halo 5 is coded now if internet goes out at a venue players won't even have the option to get on their Xbox's to play a custom warm up game. (suppose they could host a hotspot wifi custom game, but shiiiii) 

Last time I brought up these concerns in the Halo 5 esports thread, I was given the response that Halo 5 would not have LAN support, however they would work together with the tournament providers to provide a local dedicated server if necessary.  As impractical of a solution that is versus just making you game LAN compatible aside....That's great if that happens, but again raises concerns.  This means that unless you are either a big house tournament provider, or have a partnership with 343, tough luck.  Buying a local server just to run a tournament is not even economically feasible for smaller orgs that may be trying to grow.  

I'll end by saying dedicated servers are a major step forward for Halo in general, but lack of LAN support is about twice as large a step backwards, especially in 2015.  I hope, sincerely, that there is a plan in place behind the scenes that just hasn't been unveiled for how 343 plans to reliably host tournaments.  I've been a die hard halo fan for over a decade now, I just want this franchise to be great once again.  

For as much hype as I have for this game coming out, if I have to watch another tournament affected by Xbox Live issues I may (will definitely) cry.

• Upvote (+1) 4

"I'm not going to get halo 5".. Go play Super Nintendo

Lol is this really the blind h5 supporter's perception of those who won't get the game?

I, for one, will be playing PC games that actually have a skill gap.

And Shadowrun. Lots of Shadowrun.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Pretty sure Halo 5 runs off of similar tech that the new Crackdown does. As in, you need a connection to the cloud for large chunks of the data to be processed.
It's a workaround for the Xbox One's relatively underpowered specs. It's probably the only reason the new Forge is going to be as powerful as it will be, and the only reason we're getting the performance that we are with the graphical fidelity that we are.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I heard/read/assumed.

Pretty sure Halo 5 runs off of similar tech that the new Crackdown does. As in, you need a connection to the cloud for large chunks of the data to be processed.

It's a workaround for the Xbox One's relatively underpowered specs. It's probably the only reason the new Forge is going to be as powerful as it will be, and the only reason we're getting the performance that we are with the graphical fidelity that we are.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I heard/read/assumed.

1. Crackdown uses that for destruction physics. Halo doesn't have any destruction physics so I believe this is false. It's possible dedicated servers are required for Warzone because of the increased player count and AI, but that doesn't excuse lack of LAN for traditional Halo matches.

2. If developers require cloud processing for a game, perhaps MAYBE they should stop trying to push the console beyond its limits. Last time I checked gameplay was more important than some fancy physics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2. If developers require cloud processing for a game, perhaps MAYBE they should stop trying to push the console beyond its limits. Last time I checked gameplay was more important than some fancy physics.

I don't disagree, but I think that's why it's the way it is.

Want to know why people are not addressing this issue?

There is so much ignorance surrounding this topic it's not funny. I've even seen 343's decision to ONLY support dedicated servers praised by publications.

This sentence, alone, explains your question.

The fanbase has been beaten, battered and betrayed time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time that they've gotten to the point that hardly anyone will rock the boat anymore. If they do, legions of Xbox fanboys flock to 343soft's defense and chant "adapt" or "you just want Halo 3.5" or similar drivel. It's why the outcry for splitscreen, forgeable legendaries (seriously, what's the point of adding the CE pistol if we can't forge maps around it), and lan will never be raised to the level they should.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol is this really the blind h5 supporter's perception of those who won't get the game?

damn man, you are so hardcore. gonna teach my kids to be like you. 

I just don't understand why anyone would feel the need to comment on a thread, where a dude took a long time to come up with a great argument, and convey it properly, just for a couple of nerds to be like "pshhhh, who cares, I'M TO FOOKIN LEET FOR THAT GAME M8." Literally no one cares whether or not you are getting the game, and if you aren't, why would you waste your, and everyone else's time by posting it? Answer: to be an elitist, and act hxcore. Die nerds. 

As far as this OP's post goes, I couldn't agree more. It's been troubling to see LAN sorta disappear over the last two titles, and I can't believe after all the network issues 343 run tournaments had last year that they haven't addressed this. Honestly, I just hope the first tournament is a failure, so they can have LAN in by the time the million dollar tournament comes around. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Good choice if H5 doesn't satisfy you!

But yeah Halo 5 needs LAN... 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

damn man, you are so hardcore. gonna teach my kids to be like you.

I just don't understand why anyone would feel the need to comment on a thread, where a dude took a long time to come up with a great argument, and convey it properly, just for a couple of nerds to be like "pshhhh, who cares, I'M TO FOOKIN LEET FOR THAT GAME M8." Literally no one cares whether or not you are getting the game, and if you aren't, why would you waste your, and everyone else's time by posting it? Answer: to be an elitist, and act hxcore. Die nerds.

Don't like my posts? Sprint away from them.

• Upvote (+1) 2