Pyroteq

Why aren't people up in arms over lack of LAN support in Halo 5?

Everything you said is wrong, I'm not going to bother explaining why but just know you are 100% incorrect

DRM aka $$$$$$$$$

I don't think that I am considering all of the tournaments I've run for MCC.  It's not LAN but it's incredibly close and just as easy to set up.  It's just not a thing worth complaining about anymore when it's still very very easy to connect a bunch of consoles and play.  If you have stable internet then there's nothing worth stressing over.

• Downvote (-1) 5

Well...if it's so easy to add (which it should be one would assume) then why not add it? I'd assume there's some reason for them to forgo it. 

Because they want control.

Because developers and publishers have lost sight of GAMES and FUN and instead they're only interested in profits.

There's nothing publishers hate more than the fact that someone may buy a game and play it for a decade. Once they have their way and all games are processed on a server remotely they'll finally have their wet dream of being able to charge a subscription fee for every single game.

You won't be able to buy a game any more and install it on your hard drive. Gaming will basically become netflix. Don't like the lag? Well too bad.

This is the future of gaming. I predict in the next generation of consoles we're going to see more and more "cloud processing" for games until it's hard to find a game without it, and once that happens the next generation of consoles will be purely cloud based.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because they want control.

Because developers and publishers have lost sight of GAMES and FUN and instead they're only interested in profits.

There's nothing publishers hate more than the fact that someone may buy a game and play it for a decade. Once they have their way and all games are processed on a server remotely they'll finally have their wet dream of being able to charge a subscription fee for every single game.

You won't be able to buy a game any more and install it on your hard drive. Gaming will basically become netflix. Don't like the lag? Well too bad.

This is the future of gaming. I predict in the next generation of consoles we're going to see more and more "cloud processing" for games until it's hard to find a game without it, and once that happens the next generation of consoles will be purely cloud based.

Exactly my point. It's the future, and people want this restrictive old way of playing, albeit more dependable at times, to slow down the evolution of technology. It's like vinyl vs digital, sure vinyl sounds a lil better, but most don't care and sadly the quality doesn't outweight all the good sides that the new style usually brings to the table. I don't think they're gonna build and code a feature when they already have one that will cut it for most situations. Sadly my Theater mode is also on the chopping block as well for the same reasons:/

• Downvote (-1) 7

Exactly my point. It's the future, and people want this restrictive old way of playing, albeit more dependable at times, to slow down the evolution of technology. It's like vinyl vs digital, sure vinyl sounds a lil better, but most don't care and sadly the quality doesn't outweight all the good sides that the new style usually brings to the table. I don't think they're gonna build and code a feature when they already have one that will cut it for most situations. Sadly my Theater mode is also on the chopping block as well for the same reasons:/

This isn't the future.

This is control.

The future is us having PC's capable of doing the processing in our own homes. Having games streamed remotely in server farms isn't comparable to vinyl vs digital.

The lag will kill competitive gaming.

They're not doing this to increase performance or enhance graphics. They're doing it because they want to change the business model.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Name one advantage of not integrating LAN functionality into the game. I'll be waiting.

The XB1 doesn't have LAN functionality, which you can't blame on 343. In the GoW4 article they say they hope to push it to MS to allow it.
Yes, I hope there is LAN eventually but as it stands it doesn't seem possible with console hardware/software and not something you can attack 343i over, as much as I would love to

The XB1 doesn't have LAN functionality, which you can't blame on 343. In the GoW4 article they say they hope to push it to MS to allow it.

Yes, I hope there is LAN eventually but as it stands it doesn't seem possible with console hardware/software and not something you can attack 343i over, as much as I would love to

it does have lan functionality, it's just m$ has disabled it. the hardware can't just not support it.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

it does have lan functionality, it's just m$ has disabled it. the hardware can't just not support it.

That's what I'm saying. MS just chose not to have it, It's not 343i's fault

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly my point. It's the future, and people want this restrictive old way of playing

Dude, Jesus Christ.

Not having LAN is the restriction.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The XB1 doesn't have LAN functionality,

You realise when you stream movies from your PC to your Xbox that's LAN, right?

The Xbox One uses LAN all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well idk that we have 2015 . My friends are divided - some of them having PS4 some xone . We used to have meetings with Halo when few of us were bringing xbox and playing togather Now its gone .

Im following Dota 2 pro scene - all online tournaments got DDOS issues , lag issues , servers dc . Im afraid that the same will happen here . Maybe we will receive LAN patch soon enough

People dont care until they have to sit down and watch Goldenboy + Bravo waffle on for 30mins and buy some time while they fix all the connection issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Name one advantage of not integrating LAN functionality into the game. I'll be waiting.

I just thought of a couple of "advantages" for MS anyway.

1. Piracy. If/when the Xbox one gets cracked you cannot have a halo multiplayer LAN if the game doesn't support LAN. At least not with alot of hacking.

2. Tournaments. If there is no LAN you cannot run a tournament without MS/343 permission. Since 343 is controller the tournament scene now it makes sense for them to do this to exert more control.

It's like vinyl vs digital, sure vinyl sounds a lil better, but most don't care and sadly the quality doesn't outweight all the good sides that the new style usually brings to the table.

Speak for yourself.

Removal of LAN wasn't an oversight it was done to prevent people from modifying a game/stealing it.

DRM Rules Everything Around Me, D.R.E.A.M, get the money, DOLLA DOLLA BILLS YALL!

You realise when you stream movies from your PC to your Xbox that's LAN, right?

The Xbox One uses LAN all the time.

There is no way to play MP on LAN, which I was referring to, hence it lacking functionality

I just thought of a couple of "advantages" for MS anyway.

1. Piracy. If/when the Xbox one gets cracked you cannot have a halo multiplayer LAN if the game doesn't support LAN. At least not with alot of hacking.

2. Tournaments. If there is no LAN you cannot run a tournament without MS/343 permission. Since 343 is controller the tournament scene now it makes sense for them to do this to exert more control.

I don't know about #1 but #2 is exactly what I'm worried about. I should have worded my question differently, what I'm saying is there is no good justification for removing it.

This guy is saying LAN is holding back the evolution of technology:

Which is nonsense. Evolution while cutting key features, making the game more restrictive? I'm not sure whether you're actually justifying it or not, but I don't think long-time features should be cut in the interest of "evolution." It would be a sacrifice/investment with no tangible return... Like you wouldn't throw away all your pens and paper just because computers and keyboards exist...

They probably went over-budget with some stuff and had to cut whatever they couldn't get perfect.

That or incompetence

Because LAN isn't needed anymore.  It runs the same when connected locally through the internet and if you're actually playing somewhere without internet these days you are BY FAR the minority and need to get over it.

That right there is why they didn't bother adding LAN. Maybe you'll seem smarter if I drink another beer.

Also, Pyro, thank you for bitching so much about this issue. Considering this post my contribution to the bitching as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CoD was patched to allow LAN. I don't see a reason we can't get 343 to do the same if we try hard enough.

It's 343. That's why nothing will get patched in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

(a little late)  Tuned into the Daytona event... *internet issues, tournament delayed* ... *opens this thread* ... *cracks a beer* ... *sigh*

also lol to every post in this thread against LAN.  I mean I get not understanding the importance of LAN, but to come back and say "times are changing, progress or get out."   Ignorance is bliss though  B) 

Anyways, halo 5 is fucking awesome.  They absolutely nailed it, super excited about the potential this game has to be played a high level.  Just really hope when 343 announces all the HCS/HWC details that they address how they plan to run tournaments smoothly without LAN support.  

If we have to go through 2016 reliant on connecting to off-site servers..(to play with the 7 people in the same room as you.....) well let's just say I bought a BIG case of beer.  

J-Dot out, happy friday y'all.

It's 343. That's why nothing will get patched in.

They patched Reach (NBNS) and Halo 4 (Bleedthrough with a 4 shot BR). 

Those were both HUGE upgrades to the games. I'm confident they can do the same with Halo 5. 343 is not the issue here, its Microsoft. The guys in the suits. They want to control the flow of money.

Look at Blizzard/Activision, they enabled LAN on their key titles (Hearthstone and Black Ops 3)

EDIT: Playing MCC at Iron Gaming Chattanooga, Gamers for Giving and Halo 5 at Daytona have been the worst experiences of my life. It's like getting ready to get down with this chick you've been waiting YEARS to hook up with, you got everything ready, finally about  to do the deed and some invisible force is keeping you back, not allowing an inch of forward motion..

EDIT2: Omg, that's actually happened to me.. I felt them boobies though.  :kappa:

They patched Reach (NBNS) and Halo 4 (Bleedthrough with a 4 shot BR). 

Those were both HUGE upgrades to the games. I'm confident they can do the same with Halo 5. 343 is not the issue here, its Microsoft. The guys in the suits. They want to control the flow of money.

Look at Blizzard/Activision, they enabled LAN on their key titles (Hearthstone and Black Ops 3)

EDIT: Playing MCC at Iron Gaming Chattanooga, Gamers for Giving and Halo 5 at Daytona have been the worst experiences of my life. It's like getting ready to get down with this chick you've been waiting YEARS to hook up with, you got everything ready, finally about  to do the deed and some invisible force is keeping you back, not allowing an inch of forward motion..

EDIT2: Omg, that's actually happened to me.. I felt them boobies though.

Dat second base uh ?  :kappa:

On Topic : 

We need LAN, very simple for this kind of game, we are already using a weak PC as our console, might as well use ALL OF ITS FEATURES.

Well, I think it's safe to say the dedicated servers are fucked. It's almost like I predicted this would happen numerous times since the gaming industry has proven themselves time and time again that they're incapable of a stable launch for any online game.

Game has been out more than 3 weeks now and plenty of people are having issues with disconnects and lag ONLY IN HALO 5.

Imagine trying to run a tournament in these conditions.

"Ooops, sorry for the inconvenience guys but a player has just disconnected from your game tied at 49-49, we're going to have to restart it. Hope you guys got sleep last night! The tournament won't finish until 3am because of all the delays".

To release a competitive shooter without LAN is pure stupidity.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, I think it's safe to say the dedicated servers are fucked. It's almost like I predicted this would happen numerous times since the gaming industry has proven themselves time and time again that they're incapable of a stable launch for any online game.

Game has been out more than 3 weeks now and plenty of people are having issues with disconnects and lag ONLY IN HALO 5.

Imagine trying to run a tournament in these conditions.

"Ooops, sorry for the inconvenience guys but a player has just disconnected from your game tied at 49-49, we're going to have to restart it. Hope you guys got sleep last night! The tournament won't finish until 3am because of all the delays".

To release a competitive shooter without LAN is pure stupidity.

Man this thread made a great morning read ;) and pretty much all this right here Pyro.  The amount of random disconnect issues is absurd and I can't even fathom the mindset of restricting the LAN option in exchange for your "49-49 situation".  It blows my mind and is quite unfortunate.  Hopefully 343 will come to their senses on this one..