Sign in to follow this  
Ciutchism

Why I'm Worried About Halo 5

Aside from all the obvious reasons (no doubles playlist, sprint, AR starts, breakout, etc), I'm super worried because almost every sentence I've seen about Halo 5 includes the key words "will", "in the future", etc. Almost every sentence is future tense and that makes me worried. The phrasing used for forge and for playlists are identical, and forge isn't day one but those playlists are initial. I'm not sure what will be in the game at the start and what won't be. I feel like we might get another amazing campaign with a very split up and half finished multiplayer. I don't care if the gameplay is amazing if I'm a 50 matching a 4. Doesn't matter if the tournaments are run flawlessly if spectator doesn't come for another 3 months. Forge can be great but if it's delayed and then buggy how are we to know until we've already purchased the game? I'm not saying the game will be broken, but the phrasing is really worrisome for me.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Don't worry, mate. We will get everything.................................................................

soon.

Aside from all the obvious reasons (no doubles playlist, sprint, AR starts, breakout, etc), I'm super worried because almost every sentence I've seen about Halo 5 includes the key words "will", "in the future", etc. Almost every sentence is future tense and that makes me worried. The phrasing used for forge and for playlists are identical, and forge isn't day one but those playlists are initial. I'm not sure what will be in the game at the start and what won't be. I feel like we might get another amazing campaign with a very split up and half finished multiplayer. I don't care if the gameplay is amazing if I'm a 50 matching a 4. Doesn't matter if the tournaments are run flawlessly if spectator doesn't come for another 3 months. Forge can be great but if it's delayed and then buggy how are we to know until we've already purchased the game? I'm not saying the game will be broken, but the phrasing is really worrisome for me.

League of Legends launched without ranked playlists, without spectator mode (and didn't even have a spectator mode until partway into Season 1, where they made a ghetto-ass version where a caster was put on each team 6v6 and would use a summoner spell that gave them full vision of the map).

Trust me when I say it is much better that they are making sure everything is polished before it's released rather than releasing it half-assed.

Given that H5 has post-launch monetization plans (skins/req packs), they can afford to continue supporting the game after the base game launches, where its focus is primarily on its campaign and the core multiplayer experience.  Everything else they add or tweak is extra.  In the past, Halo's only post-launch support was in the form of map DLCs, where they were encouraged to just cut half-assed content from release and sell it later.  Now they can cut features that aren't finished from the release, and give them later for free.

• Upvote (+1) 2

League of Legends launched without ranked playlists, without spectator mode (and didn't even have a spectator mode until partway into Season 1, where they made a ghetto-ass version where a caster was put on each team 6v6 and would use a summoner spell that gave them full vision of the map).

Trust me when I say it is much better that they are making sure everything is polished before it's released rather than releasing it half-assed.

Given that H5 has post-launch monetization plans (skins/req packs), they can afford to continue supporting the game after the base game launches, where its focus is primarily on its campaign and the core multiplayer experience.  Everything else they add or tweak is extra.  In the past, Halo's only post-launch support was in the form of map DLCs, where they were encouraged to just cut half-assed content from release and sell it later.  Now they can cut features that aren't finished from the release, and give them later for free.

I would agree with this if they had a user base and setting that acted the same as LoL. League is free to play. People pick up the game everyday and come back to try different champs/gamemodes that are released. They also make a LOT based on their competitive scene that is well established. Halo no longer has a well established scene. If their version of esports does not turn out, they can just drop everything competitive. They also aren't going to make near enough from these req packs to put entire teams dedicated to different features. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that it's very possible. I'm also pointing out that they've promised features in the past (CSR) that in no way shape or form represented their pitched idea. It's entirely possible that forge might be delayed or have bugs that make it subpar until 2016. I'm just worried because their phrasing for day 1 and for day 100 are the same. The other point about LoL is that 343i isn't solely working on H5. If spectator comes out 1 year into development for Halo it would be much worse than 1 year into LoL development.

I would agree with this if they had a user base and setting that acted the same as LoL. League is free to play. People pick up the game everyday and come back to try different champs/gamemodes that are released. They also make a LOT based on their competitive scene that is well established. Halo no longer has a well established scene. If their version of esports does not turn out, they can just drop everything competitive. They also aren't going to make near enough from these req packs to put entire teams dedicated to different features. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that it's very possible. I'm also pointing out that they've promised features in the past (CSR) that in no way shape or form represented their pitched idea. It's entirely possible that forge might be delayed or have bugs that make it subpar until 2016. I'm just worried because their phrasing for day 1 and for day 100 are the same. The other point about LoL is that 343i isn't solely working on H5. If spectator comes out 1 year into development for Halo it would be much worse than 1 year into LoL development.

I had similar thoughts to you before League of Legends came out.

Talking to Pendragon helped assuage some of my fears -- but regarding Halo 5, I actually see a lot of positive signs that weren't present for Reach or Halo 4 or Master Chief Collection (which I still insist was just an expensive infrastructure beta for Halo 5 that happened to be packaged with old games.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Let's not kid ourselves and think that M$FT's major priority right after H5 drops is anything other than Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Let's not kid ourselves and think that M$FT's major priority right after H5 drops is anything other than Halo 6.

Priority? You're absolutely right.

But the point is that with additional monetization in place, they can afford a larger sustain team (what Bravo was hired for w/H4 originally)

But the point is that with additional monetization in place, they can afford a larger sustain team (what Bravo was hired for w/H4 originally)

Which does not necessarily mean it's going to be primarily focused on delivering post-launch content for H5.

the last thing 343 needs is more teams of anything

Every game has problems at launch, we know that. However, the real problem is how long 343 takes to fix things.

MCC's launch is going to look like a diamond compared to Halo 5's launch.  Someone quote me.

There's a very simple solution to your current dilemma. Ready for it? It may actually blow your mind. Ok, here we go. Don't pre-order or buy the fucking game on day one. I know, crazy right? Who would've thought you could wait a few days/weeks before you purchase a game to determine whether or not it's worth your time and money in 2015?

They've literally announced that they're already working on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1