Prophet

UMG Halo Feedback

I really enjoyed the event, you did a great job. Here are some things that I think could improve:

- Listen in´s. Games become so much more intense if you can hear what the team is setting up for/fighting against. Also it´s a welcome change to hearing the casters (no offense they all did a great job IMO) and highly entertaining to hear some of the trash talk. I disagree that the trash talk is "scaring of people unfamiliar with it". It belongs to Halo just like fouls belong into sports (I mean they don´t cut out the fights between teams on TV because it might scare people off!)

- More interviews/things to look at in between games. The games were highly entertaining, however during the break I kept staring at either the same commercial over and over or see a silent crowd. I didn´t turn off the stream. however I found myself getting into the games late, because I´d look at other stuff/play a game.

- Better advertising in before. I found myself looking at the UMG website and twitter and couldn´t find a set time or even date for the event. AGL does a way better job at this IMO.

- Lack of skyline. It´s a shame that this map is causing so much trouble, seeing as it´s one of the best maps out there. I have no idea what the problem with it is, however I hope to see it played at future UMG events :)

The casting at this event was excellent. The main stage was very distracting with all the wires. It was awesome Halo other than that. I just like watching the matches. I think listen-in's are great at the appropriate times.

I only caught Sunday but what I did see was great. Going forward;

1. Listen ins
  2. Stream Schedule for each day (series order at min)

The rest is well up to standard in my opinion. Looking forward to future events.

If UMG does decide to do Listen Ins, please keep them to a minimum please.  It is nice to hear play by play commentating.

The commentators kept talking about how much trash talk was going on, and honestly that's one of the best parts of a Halo event. I know that everyone in this topic keeps saying that you need listen ins, but I just want to reinforce why I like them. 

Is there any way to see the Pistola triple kill on Adrift that was just missed on the stream?

My feedback:

Amazing event, after the hiccups early Saturday, the event was ran flawlessly. 

The match ups were great (even with only 30~ teams attending), I really enjoyed watching Warriors play SQ/Classic, Ambush was a bit anti-climatic, with them steamrolling every series, and of course, the event. Big props to them, though. They seem to be getting better and better each event and no other teams can even catch up to them.

The casters really made this event for me, Goldenboy had me on the edge of my seat throughout each game he casted, Bravo and Ghost were solid as always, great job and I can't wait to see Goldenboy back in the booth for more AGL/possibly UMG events.

Only constructive criticism I have to give is the need for listen ins and facecams, but I'm sure you've heard that already from many others watching the event. Also, it would be great to see more interviews with pro players like the ones with Ryanoob/Roy inbetween series to cut the downtime to a minimum.

Thanks again for hosting the event, we can't appreciate it enough.

Besides the rough start on Saturday morning the event went pretty well. The casting was unbelievable, I would love to see more Goldenboy. I would like some listen in. I didn't get to watch much of the stream, so I'm limited.

I thought it was fantastic, easily the best Halo 4 event so far in my opinion.

Goldenboy was fantastic as we've all said and he was certainly one of the main reasons it was so good.

Things to improve have already been covered really - Face cams, some slight improvements with the on screen graphics etc. The only other thing I can add which isn't really even to do with the event, is to maybe tidy up the twitter feed/have someone running it throughout the tourney. I didn't get to see the finals, I went straight there to see who placed where, and I think all I got was that Ambush won, and nothing else. Maybe keep it a little more formal and informative.

That's me being really picky though. The event was awesome. I know the big talk is on the "Listen Ins" but I wouldn't go overboard with them. They can be okay but the commentary and frequent switching was really good.

Listen ins certainly don't attract new-comers, with all the trash talk etc. Sure, it may be okay for those of us who are used to watching competitive Halo, but I think it looks awful from a new persons perspective. I remember being that new person and thinking how pathetic the trash talk was.

As I say though - great event, really enjoyed it.

All the "Improvements" have been stated. I just really want to see more Events, AGL and UMG switching off every month? Working together to advertise and help each other grow. That kind of setup would give each company 6 events a year which is a lot. I really want to see the competitive Halo community get some stable ground to stand on. All in all I loved the event and can't wait for more.

Every month? I'd like a Halo event almost every weekend. Kinda like golf, you have the majors and then the smaller tourneys that you can watch in between majors

• Upvote (+1) 2

Running a tourney every weekend would attract only sponsored teams and even they might get tired of it because prize money would be poop.

The tourney was great especially for UMG's first Halo tourney.  I wasn't too bummed about no listen ins because the casting was play by play so it made up for it.  I do like listen ins though because you can hear how the teams communicate and it's basically a learning experience.  I for one don't give a crap about face cams.. IDK why people want them so much.

One gripe might have been the massive amount of downtime.  Towards the end you folks started doing more interviews to pass the time and that was great.  Maybe after a main stage match have both team captains or just players from both teams come on and talk about what they think they did right and wrong.  Unless it was a major blow out then we don't need to hear from the losing team.  Once you're done with that you can maybe pull players who weren't on the main stage and have them talk about their match.

You could also interview up and coming am's and give them a little spotlight to help them get their name out there.

Map issues I wasn't really surprised with.  I remember when you folks first contacted Gandhi an company you said you run your CoD tourneys on disc maps and expressed your concern over having download user generated maps so thanks for making a change for Halo.

Also, I think I saw maybe 2 twitch commercials the entire tourney which is great but... I know you folks need to make money so maybe play a few more of them.  With the 6k that were watching towards the end one commercial would have only given you about $30 but it's better than nothing and would add up throughout the weekend.  I don't use adblocker because I understand you need to make that money.

All in all great tourney, great production and hope to see more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really enjoyed the event! You guys did a awesome job.

Next time i would like to see face cams and listen in's.

The casting was fantastic would like to see goldenboy again for sure.

Well, I think just about everything has been said from what I can see.

I missed most of the Saturday morning hubbub so I cant offer too much input as far as that goes.

Some things I noticed after the Saturday AM issues were cleared up:

- Certain player POV's didn't have game sounds.

- When returning from commercial, the music continued to play while live. Not a big deal for me when watching warm-ups and FFA's, but a bit noticeable when a caster was talking.

As I said, those were the "Con's" I didnt see listed too often while reading through this thread.

As for the Pro's of this event, there are too many to list, but I'll point out my favorites.

- Stream Quality was superb; very little if any Lag and quality was crisp and nearly flawless at 720p+

- Casting was a HUUUUGE plus.. it was superb in all ways and I didn't see myself hoping for a certain caster being that all did a great job (Esp. GoldenBoy!)

- The ability for UMG staff to address an issue and either fix it on spot (quickly) or find a work around was a huge bonus.

- The continuity of the event was also a huge plus. UMG filled the gaps very well, be it interviews, gameplay, crowd cams or some analysis - I was very impressed with the direction of the event.

All in all, well done UMG and I can't wait for the next event!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was pleasantly surprised this weekend, for your first halo event it was outstanding! Stream quality, casters and your response to feedback was absolutely amazing. You dealt with all of the problems you had quickly and made sure to keep everything moving along.

The technical difficulties you guys encountered were unfortunate but unavoidable, and you dealt with them perfectly. Overall everything was great other than the rocky start on Saturday.

Some things that could be worked on for next time to improve the stream quality are:

- player Cams

- A stream Schedule

- Cleaner MainStage

And that's about it, it was a very professional and well run tournament, thank you for doing this for the Halo community.

Don't ever lose GoldenBoyFTW, he brings an umatched level of energy into the booth and adds to the excitement!
Bravo and Gh0st did a great job with the analytic side of the game, and I felt like I learned a lot through watching the event. 

Listen-ins would be nice towards the end of the games, and face camera's would be a welcomed addition too.
Something to fill in the time between games would also be nice. Perhaps a "gamer spotlight" or something of the sort where you get a brief interview with a player or team before the event starts and can be aired between matches. Just make sure to get someone knowledgeable of the scene on that. (AGL had a few oops early on with mistaking one player for another).

I will continue this post later, a friend is waiting for me to go skate. Adios! 

B2FKlOQ.png?1

That is a beautiful graphic! I would love to get a set of graphics based off of that for the next event, but I would have to get approval from UMG. We had Trinity Studios doing graphics for UMG Chicago. They had done the graphics for UMG St Louis and they're pretty awesome guys. Next time I broadcast a non-UMG event I will suggest contacting you. Have you ever done graphics for a Fighting Game broadcast?

Thanks for all the positive comments and, uh, all these other comments, here's some feedback for the feedback :)

Yeah, we had some problems Saturday morning. I like to think that I'm a pretty calm and patient man, so we assessed each situation and tried to resolve each issue the best we could and as quickly as we could with the resources we had.

We would love to do Player Cams, and I am investigating options to add them to the broadcast. I know Brad with AGL has an infrared security cam system, but I want to investigate color player cams first. I also need something that's portable and easy enough to setup in multiple locations. If/when we add player cams, I am going to try to make them an option, and make them a respectable size on screen. I know that its important to respect the content (the game footage) as well as adding to it.

I was asked to do Listen Ins before the event, but the biggest hurdle is that I don't own 8 mixamps. I don't want to wire the stage for Listen Ins without having mixamps permanently installed at each station. It adds a lot of time in between matches having players plugin/unplug personal mixamps already, and it would take longer to have them plug in to a Listen In setup and double check that setup every time as well. If/when we add Listen Ins, I will use them sparingly, similar to what I plan to do with the PIP and Player Cams. Its an addition to the content, it should never devalue or impede the content experience.

We will have better graphics at all future events. I like the sample CyReN added above and we will at least use it as a guideline in the future.

Showing the game after it started was my choice. I have heard from a couple people that I was switching from commentators to game later than they would like, so I am going to work on improving my switching. I just don't like broadcasting a loading screen, so I will try to come up with a compromise maybe. I'm thinking PIP of the game setup/laoding screen while commentators ramp up to the match.

I did have the wrong name on screen for players a few times. A few times more than I would like, but graphics switching is a job all by itself, and I was doing that on the side while handling all the switching and other broadcast stuff. I tried to correct them as quick as possible. I would have had many more errors without the help of @therealvivi. I will try to bring a second broadcast assistant next time.

We had the commentator's right in with the crowd because we chose t odo it that way. I don't like having the commentators in a separate booth away from the energy of the players and spectators. Putting the commentators right in the mix with the spectators gives the broadcast a more personal feel I always think. We can work with them to make it better in the future. I think guest commentators and allowing (maybe encouraging) commentators to interact directly with the crowd is a good thing. Imagine GoldenBoy turning to the crowd to get a cheer started, or ask for the crowd favorites.

The mainstage was a wiring nest. I don't have an instant solution to this. I will look into some clips for wire management and maybe tableclothes or skirts.

We had one webcam on stage. I have relied on it before, but it looked blurry and choppy as hell. I wanted to put up two cams on stage and have the second cam on the crowd, or the second team, but one of my capture cards seems to have failed Saturday morning. My second cam is a Sony camcorder that I use the HDMI out from, so I had to abandon using it since my BMI wasn't responding. I will be upgrading cams for future events. I am replacing webcams and trying to get another camcorder. I'll also replace/fix the faulty BMI.

The music was an annoyance at times in the chat. I was trying to add it in down time and fade it out during content, but I was using a quickfix to add it to the broadcast and I wasn't good with it. I was usinf VLC player with a playlist of the tracks we had from MonsterCat and I would manually fade the songs in and out and pause them when they weren't on air. Not a good solution at all. I will have somethign autpmatic for the next broadcast.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I liked this event more without the listen ins. If listen ins do happen I would like it to be only in crazy moments like a flag about to score in over time. but not having to use it every match it sometimes gets to be to much. Most kids seem to want to listen ins to hear the shittalk and that isn't a good look. Having pov webcams for the stations would be awesome. 

This was my first event in about 5 years but this was my first 4v4 event that I competed in! I am going to give a pros and cons then an overall 

pros:

* I liked the venue, Game Pazzo was really cool. 

* The set up was perfect there were no teams competing next to each other but there were some things I would change about it but its minor.

* I loved how the commentators were facing the main stage and the crowd was behind them, it gave it a good feel I thought. 

* The commentators were perfect I have always thought Goldenboy was a great commentator in almost anything

* The stream was perfect besides the hiccups saturday and the 2 mishaps sunday. 

* The interviews were perfect, we honestly need to do more of those at each event! 

* They used challonge.com and I could actually see the bracket. I don't know how many times I get annoyed or talk to brad or billy about using that site. It honestly makes things better especially for the fans cause they can see how everyone did and some people are more visual so it works, I honestly think AGL should use it! 

Cons

* It had no set start time

* When it was time to practice before the event teams wouldn't rotate, should be a Bo3 then rotate IMO.

* I liked how they did all the winners brackets first but I think they should of done at least one losers per rotations, got their at 8 couldn't practice I played my first game at 12 then didn't play again until 6. I think there should be a side station or 2 that has octagon that players can play on to keep warm.

* Didn't have listen ins which honestly are fine I only like listen ins when there is a bunch of shit talk or when it is a intense game that is coming to a close

* The spectators were all huddled around the stations so it was hard to move around, I think moving the stations up away from the way would of fixed this. it got really hot really fast just setting stuff up! 

* The map rotations, that is one that bugged me the most but even then it was minor, I only played abandon, simplex, adrift and onyx. I think the map and game rotation should of been better for a best of 3 it should be flag, slayer extraction then best of 5 should be slayer, flag, slayer, extraction, and slayer then best of 11 would just continued off from best of 5. 

* The series standing should have good graphics along with the player's name! I noticed many times when they switched povs they never fixed the names right away but again that was on saturday sunday they were on top of it but I would like an updated graphics though makes it seem more eye popping besides the actually good gameplay! 

Overall, I loved this event. Prophet and Heywod did a great job for them running their first halo event. I was telling them friday when I got there be prepared for some hiccups and it happened. Heywod was getting frustrated beyond belief but he got some donuts and everything worked itself out! But again it was a great event, I hope my constructive criticism helps and I hope we get more UMG Halo just every event needs to be a trial and error.     

The donuts were a life saver. 

I know they were you looked so satisfied eating them lol I am mad though you wont be at another one! :( 

I lost interest in Halo after the exhibition event but AGL 7 caught my eye however I didn't watch it all, I decided to watch the whole of the UMG event and was overall very happy.

Good:

• Commentators; very impressed with all the casters with Goldenboy being a well know person with the CoD community he can bring in more views to Halo events, glad to see Bravo and obviously Ghost was great as usual.
  • Stream; 8/10 for the stream quality.
  • Venue; looked pretty decent.
  • Set-up; good layout with the placement of the commentators facing the players with the live spectators behind giving a good atmosphere.

Bad:

• Stream issues on Saturday was a problem as it was a large delay and I was staying up quite late with watching from the UK.
  • Lack of Skyline, player cams, listen-in but commentary made up for no listen-in ability
  • After a quick ad break during the same series the game would instantly start or have already started without any warning.
  • In a close game on CTF Adrift a whole minute of adverts played and I missed the end.
  • No Gandhi or Maven
  • The investment in the game is too late from 343 and Virgin Gaming it really needs to start stronger next time e.g. Halo 5.

Very happy overall just wish the support was there from the devs & VG etc and it could grow massively and bring back many other pro players, we have a few but if prizes increased everyone would attend.

The new settings are very refreshing and so good to watch, I think some of the maps could be changed around though.

Thanks for doing this event I'm loving Halo again and playing TTD as much as possible trying to get better.

Many Thanks

-Ronin

Here is a video I made discussing my feed back on the UMG Halo tournament.

Hope it can help :)

I'm going to try and make your wish of having a Map-Intro come true!  Almost forgot about those things :P  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Every month? I'd like a Halo event almost every weekend. Kinda like golf, you have the majors and then the smaller tourneys that you can watch in between majors

Yes but with the current state of things that's nearly impossible, no where near enough support for a event every week right now. One per month would be outstanding to build on.