Sign in to follow this  
Destroyaaa

"Whats your favorite hobby?" Answer = video games "what?"

Video games are my favorite hobby. But when I tell some people this they don't understand and think I'm a simple minded dim wit. Yet I find them engaging, competitive and social. Anyone else have a problem conveying this to people?

Thing is most people still have the stereotype of gamers being basement dwellers. To the rest of society people who ID as gamers are generally bums who don't do much for society or even have social skills. 

If your argument to that is that you find them engaging, competitive and social, I'm going to assume you're looking at it in a competitive event/tournament player perspective (especially the last two points you made). Which I would agree with but competitive gaming is for the most part, is a niche of a niche. Most people will not understand considering the strong stereotype still present. So unless you want to go on some debate with a stranger or someone you just met, choose a new hobby to say is your favorite lol. Because for the most part you're not going to change their mind from one conversation anyways. 

Only way to really refute this even somewhat, is showing a really hype moment in a game that is super easy to convey to someone who has never played a game that also shows the players in the event

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my experience, competitive gamers are some of the most successful people I've ever met in my life.

There are definitely a lot of people that are jobless and basically school drop-outs though. Its one or the other.

Thing is most people still have the stereotype of gamers being basement dwellers. To the rest of society people who ID as gamers are generally bums who don't do much for society or even have social skills.

If your argument to that is that you find them engaging, competitive and social, I'm going to assume you're looking at it in a competitive event/tournament player perspective (especially the last two points you made). Which I would agree with but competitive gaming is for the most part, is a niche of a niche. Most people will not understand considering the strong stereotype still present. So unless you want to go on some debate with a stranger or someone you just met, choose a new hobby to say is your favorite lol. Because for the most part you're not going to change their mind from one conversation anyways.

Only way to really refute this even somewhat, is showing a really hype moment in a game that is super easy to convey to someone who has never played a game that also shows the players in the event

It really sucks though to not tell someone what you're passion is because its looked down on.

I'd say the stereotype holds true; it represents the majority and most-memorables of gamers. Which is how all stereotypes are made - they aren't just invented, it's the collective impression based off real accounts.

Sure there *are* successful, non-basement, socially acceptable, intelligent and street wise gamers, but I would say they only make up 20% or so, if that. And if you narrow it down to competitive ones that play more often than on the weekends, it's probably more like 3%.

Just like how there are probably 3% of Asian Women who can drive well  :walshy:  (it doesn't matter if most of them can't)

I love playing video games as a hobby, but this summer I got bored of not playing with hardly any friends and getting burnt out from classical Halo and what not, so I have taken a break from gaming right now, as I just am bored of it and busy with college classes. I still play, but not nearly as much. It will be a hobby as long as I can make it one, but lately I have really enjoyed spending time with friends and even discovering that I really like one of my sisters' friends (whom I have known for a small handful of years).

Nothing beats spending time with people outside gaming, except if they love playing the same games you play :D

I'd say the stereotype holds true; it represents the majority and most-memorables of gamers. Which is how all stereotypes are made - they aren't just invented, it's the collective impression based off real accounts.

Sure there *are* successful, non-basement, socially acceptable, intelligent and street wise gamers, but I would say they only make up 20% or so, if that. And if you narrow it down to competitive ones that play more often than on the weekends, it's probably more like 3%.

Just like how there are probably 3% of Asian Women who can drive well  :walshy:  (it doesn't matter if most of them can't)

I disagree. I've noticed that competitive players are generally less stereotypical nerdy than their casual counterparts because their competitive drive has come from traditional sports IRL.  Although, I do define casual a bit wrong perhaps--I mainly mean gamers who play regularly but not competitively. 

It really sucks though to not tell someone what you're passion is because its looked down on.

best way to deal with it imo is do what Daigo does and represent yourself/gamers in a more positive light that doesn't show actions a stereotypical gamer would be. Basically be fit, not look like a slob, take care of yourself, not be lazy, etc. 

I highly disagree with this philosophy. Before even getting into the gamer argument you made, this doesn't work in a real application. People make assumptions/stereotypes highly based on what they see in news/social media. Not what they necessarily see from their own experiences. This is why you have tons of problems with stereotypes that I don't want to get into as its OT and I'm sure anyone here can fill in the blanks here for societal problems with this sort of logic used. News spreads about a handful of instances and is spread to millions of people in an instant, making whatever the person represents, in a negative light. This draws assumptions about whatever the person represents in a harsh negative light from a small application but heavily spread. Which is recently how stereotypes have been heavily spread

Not going to argue statistics pulled out of thin air. FYI, most gamers are 31 or up (a real stat you can look up), you saying the majority of those guys are basement dwellers without a profession? Most gamers I've met who are upper 20s and 30s (which the FGC has a lot of) work a real job, have a family (some even bring their kids/wife along to locals/arcades) and make a decent living. Some might not be making a ton of money but that's most likely not because of their gaming habits.but live decisions that can happen to anyone and isn't strictly one for gamers. 

At my work place I'm the only one who games, they just think I'm a nerd which I'm cool with.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At my work place I'm the only one who games, they just think I'm a nerd which I'm cool with.

Back in the day I played H2 with a guy who hung out with people who barely knew what an xbox was. He somehow managed to not reveal his deep secret to them

I unno not really. The same people who will talk down on video games are the same people who probably watch Netflix and HBO for days

at least with video games you're actually working your brain

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is what my friends think of me if they know I compete (which to be fair is pretty rare for me to mention) They think I'm a nerd but in their words I'm apparently a cool/alright/not weird nerd 

This is what my friends think of me if they know I compete (which to be fair is pretty rare for me to mention) They think I'm a nerd but in their words I'm apparently a cool/alright/not weird nerd

The FGC crowd is far from nerdy tho

One of the reasons why I got into MLG

is 'cause of dudes like T2. They break the stereo type. I mean they still talk shit, we were kids

FGC has a crowd I'd chill with

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you like all kinds of video games or do you only play AAA?

I am usually open to many games, and have many generations at my fingertips.

I often play games across older generations as I have a fond love for the PS2 and PS1, the SEGA Dreamcast, all Game Boys, and several other platforms.

Though I'm mixed with online multiplayer honestly, and despite my love for Halo I've become a bit more cynical about the online communities in games, I've probably downloaded more single player titles than I'm willing to admit, and Halo is pretty much my internet (and single player) gaming promontory... Throughout my whole loner existence growing up... But I wouldn't trade my experiences with Halo's online community for anything else. I had quite the ego during Halo 2's glory days, but made a humble turn and even learned a thing or two despite me choking in many areas. Some of the most drop dead funny moments during the summer were spent on Halo 2, Halo 3, so on.

I can thank Video Games for helping me gain interest in writing, can't imagine how much (more) of a sloth I'd be if I didn't pick up the controller every damn day heh.

A few years back I picked up on the Hitman series, got into the modern Fallout (New Vegas) and had been hooked on these ever since.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of video games garnering interests in other positive things, I think they can also help you out as a person overall. When I started competing I heard a lot of people telling me to accept my losses and learn from them, don't give up, be humble, no weak excuses, etc. all things I would say for the most part are positives for a person to have. I think competitively gaming (well in my perspective at least) can definitely bring those positives in your game and you can apply that elsewhere. 

The FGC crowd is far from nerdy tho

One of the reasons why I got into Halo is 'cause of dudes like T2. They break the stereo type. I mean they still talk shit, we were kids

FGC has a crowd I'd chill with

Well there are some nerds lol. Anime crew (as much as I love the players/games) are pretty nerdy at times. But the FGC is pretty ridiculous lol I remember someone had an intro at CEO as the Pokemon theme song. Everyone got hype and then right after someone played Ice Cube or someone and they were equally hype lol

Eh t2 i always thought wasn't a plus to me. 

FGC I'd definitely chill with compared to other scenes. Much more diverse than other communities imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of video games garnering interests in other positive things, I think they can also help you out as a person overall. When I started competing I heard a lot of people telling me to accept my losses and learn from them, don't give up, be humble, no weak excuses, etc. all things I would say for the most part are positives for a person to have. I think competitively gaming (well in my perspective at least) can definitely bring those positives in your game and you can apply that elsewhere.

Well there are some nerds lol. Anime crew (as much as I love the players/games) are pretty nerdy at times. But the FGC is pretty ridiculous lol I remember someone had an intro at CEO as the Pokemon theme song. Everyone got hype and then right after someone played Ice Cube or someone and they were equally hype lol

Eh t2 i always thought wasn't a plus to me.

FGC I'd definitely chill with compared to other scenes. Much more diverse than other communities imo

I meant to say they got me into MLG. CE got me into Halo lol

When I first saw MLG(on G4TV) I thought it was kinda nerdy. Wasn't til a couple of years later I got into it.

Thought dudes like him broke the stereotype tho. Maybe he's not the kind of personality you'd chill with

Oh for sure they can be nerdy, but we're all nerds(right?). Just some make it more obvious than others.

I'd get hype for both tracks too lol

Nostalgia and Cube? Down lol

Yeah SF helped me learn to be more humble I think. That buff nerf patch adapt moto is one of the best mottos

It's like quit bitchin about why you lost or why you didn't win. Take responsibility. You apply that mentality to real life

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am that guy who plays alot of games that even the mainstream gamers(halo,cod,gears,madden,ect....) think is nerdy so yea I really dont talk about it at work much(even though I work at a tech company) except to a few co-workers whom I know game. I found that alot of the hardcore raiders in my old WoW guild were older more mature people with families and I tend to bond better with older folks than my age for some reason so yea I made alot of friends through online gaming and I am not ashamed to admit it. I also run half-marathons/marathons and am not a "lazy" person, I promise you nobody who plays high-level Starcraft/Quake is a "lazy" person IMO. I hate that gamers(particularly comp gamers) still have to battle decade old stereo-types like were in high-school still. 

A lot of people don't really understand how social video games have become. Still a field that a lot of people are ignorant about which creates several misconceptions

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't tell anyone I play games so I can take sick days on launches for games I'm really hyped for. If I talk about it at work, they'll know the release date and I'll be called out.

I only do it once a year at most though and it's only for a day. I'll feel guilty if I did it more than that.

I don't tell anyone I play games so I can take sick days on launches for games I'm really hyped for. If I talk about it at work, they'll know the release date and I'll be called out.

I only do it once a year at most though and it's only for a day. I'll feel guilty if I did it more than that.

This is brilliant except I enjoy talking to some people at work about video games lol