Rhymetactics

I don't think we are excited enough about dedicated servers...

I know this is old news now but the more I think about how Xbox One will have dedicated servers for multiplayer, the more excited I am about the future of competitive gaming and Halo. Think about it:

-Connections will be vastly improved. You only need to connect to the servers and as long as your internet is decent, you'll be golden  :goldenboy:

-The servers are not just in Washington. I read an article recently that Microsoft is buying a server farm in Iowa for about $700 mill. Can you connect to the middle of the country? Probably.

-No more limits on team sizes. Team size shouldn't affect the connection at all like it does now. I could see a potential legitimate BTB scene in the next Halo.

-Here's a pretty sweet one... no more host booters/bridgers/etc. I'm sure people will figure out a way to cheat eventually, but it makes it pretty tough when the servers are always host.

-Dream a little bigger as well. With the improved connections, removed host cheating, localized servers, I could see the potential of worthwhile tourneys and leagues that are played solely online. Imagine if every AGL/UMG had online qualifiers that not only helped seeding, but boosted prize money as well? Who wouldn't pay a few bucks to compete in an online qualifier?

-Not to mention, the ever present Kinect (which is a legitimate complaint) and Twitch integration, and maybe Spec Mode? We could get a spectator experience similar to what is only possible from LAN tourneys now.

-I don't think LAN tourneys will ever die but the growth of online events would only make the scene that much bigger.

I'm fairly excited to see how this all pans out.

Team sizes can and probably will be still limited. More people connecting to a server = downloading and uploading to that server. Lag will still bepresent

Just because there are dedicated servers doesn't nullifiy "host booting" it just evolves, and now you can literally kick each player off without disrupting the game. Fuck you could attack the server and force a reboot.

Team sizes can and probably will be still limited. More people connecting to a server = downloading and uploading to that server. Lag will still bepresent

Just because there are dedicated servers doesn't nullifiy "host booting" it just evolves, and now you can literally kick each player off without disrupting the game. Fuck you could attack the server and force a reboot.

You act like these servers arent powerful...

I'll be the first to say it. Halo 5 will have 16v16 action. Halo is Microsoft's flagship franchise, they aren't gonna go little. There is a reason they had 343 come out and announce 60 FPS, Dedicated Servers.

Also, it isnt going to be easy to cheat, and its also going to be very apparent when someone does. Will there be lag? Of course, but it wont be from the server. It will be player side.

I'll be the first to say it. Halo 5 will have 16v16 action. Halo is Microsoft's flagship franchise, they aren't gonna go little. There is a reason they had 343 come out and announce 60 FPS, Dedicated Servers.

Also, it isnt going to be easy to cheat, and its also going to be very apparent when someone does. Will there be lag? Of course, but it wont be from the server. It will be player side.

Yup, I would imagine it's a lot easier to figure out who's cheating when Microsoft property is involved in every game. 

The only downside of this though...

bigger maps  :angry:

Yup, I would imagine it's a lot easier to figure out who's cheating when Microsoft property is involved in every game. 

The only downside of this though...

bigger maps  :angry:

Yeah, it's inevitable IMO.

This is incorrect.

Latency can be affected negatively. I can be improved to a certain limit, physical barrier. Bandwidth and latency are connected. If the bandwidth is saturated then the latency is increased.

Like I said distance, latency cannot be eliminated. However the connection quality can be improved to a point where latency is a bearable factor.

US EU latency is about 40ms - 60ms of delay. With terrible networking conditions you can expect more latency, >100ms even.

It's a question of what is the weakest link in the chain, right now it's bad hosts caused by whatever: bad router setup, shared network, using mobile connection etc... With dedicated servers we can expect optimal networking conditions more frequently.

Distance is always going to be the same. It is limited by the laws of physics. Bandwidth does nothing to affect distance which is what latency is...

Im glad you make this post. I have been so excited for Ded servers. Its going to completly change the game in more ways then possibly imaginable. Like you said tournament play, twitch, no host adv, no black screen more players with no lag. That alone makes me want the Xbox One and i will buy it. PS4 say goodnight

I'm stating fact, regardless how powerful the servers be.

Dedicated servers don't stand in the way of a good Halo game.

Let's keep providing 343 with constructive feedback and we will get it.

my point was that none of this means anything if halo 5 is bad. No one wants to play garbage on dedicated servers. Not saying h5 is going to be garbage, i am just referencing (as i'm sure multiple people have already done but i'm not going to run through this thread) the fact that connection issues only fix one aspect of the seriously ailing franchise.

But what about EU players etc? If the servers are in Washington/Iowa won't that alienate a lot of people. I could be rather wrong here, not being a PC gamer my knowledge of servers is limited.

But what about EU players etc? If the servers are in Washington/Iowa won't that alienate a lot of people. I could be rather wrong here, not being a PC gamer my knowledge of servers is limited.

I would expect that they would also have servers in other countries and would optimally pair you with regional players. However I could be wrong. Either way, playing across the pond isn't too bad, I know I've played on foreign hosts. Some are bad, but not all. 

I've read that they will have servers around the globe. Not sure where I read it though.

Halo 1 remake for Xbox One.

lol? Halo 1 pre-alpha revision 2309 or die ingrates.

I live in India, and playing with someone from the US is painful for me, hopefully that won't be the case after the new servers  :bravo: .