Moa

Halo 5: Guardians Campaign Discussion

My favorite part of the old Zelda games were how you fight Gannon in the first temple, and then again in the fire temple. And then in the water temple you fight two Gannons and for the final dark world temple you fight three Gannons at once.

You guys remember that?

Well technically you fought him in the Forest Temple... :kappa:

Brutes aren't exactly advanced. They are dealing with stuff on their planets. The flood cant turn a promethean.

The campaign should've been 100% blue team. Then the year after halo wars 2 should be an osiris game. They shouldn't share the spotlight again.

I know the flood couldn't do anything to the promethean, but it would be cool and its 343 so they can do anything even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Impossible, prometheans are digital non organic constructs.

They might be susceptible to the logic plague that the flood use to corrupt AIs like mendicant bias. Or the flood could take over the host that commands them.

But yeah they can't transform into flood.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I found the campaign and writing atrocious. Didn't they flaunt no split screen because of new massive campaign spaces? Where the hell were they? Everything was linear and small just like H4. Probably the worst halo campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I found the campaign and writing atrocious. Didn't they flaunt no split screen because of new massive campaign spaces? Where the hell were they? Everything was linear and small just like H4. Probably the worst halo campaign.

They said the couldn't deliver splitscreen "without compromising their vision."

I didn't see anything in the campaign that seemed worth the cut (my opinion obviously). I definitely didn't see anything crazier than all the Scarab and vehicle shenanigans in Halo 3, and that game pulled those off in splitscreen without a hitch.

It's all wrapped up in the locked 60fps the game apparently can't deviate from, plus the insanely high poly-counts that M$ requires to show off "the power of the Xbox One".

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what the heck was the point of the entire Locke vs Chief ad campaign if all he was gonna do in the end was bring Chief home? They have a little brawl then call it a day. No threats or violence. No tough decisions.. wasn't Locke supposed to be a hit man?

Locke was completely one-dimensional and had absolutely no development. All he did was follow orders like a drone the entire time. The way 343 made it seem was that Locke was gonna question his morals while hunting Chief down and slowly learn the truth about ONI. ONI hardly played a role in anything.

Also, lol at Jul getting killed like it was nothing. Then the reunion scenes of Chief/Cortana and Chief/Halsey were absolute trash IMO. It's OKAY to show emotion in your scenes, 343. Try it sometime.

One thing I did enjoy was the actual plot and the environments. Cortana turning on her makers mirrors the sins of Mendicant Bias. There's a huge parallel there that opens up a lot of possibilities. The character development and script was just shit though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So what the heck was the point of the entire Locke vs Chief ad campaign if all he was gonna do in the end was bring Chief home? They have a little brawl then call it a day. No threats or violence. No tough decisions.. wasn't Locke supposed to be a hit man?

Locke was completely one-dimensional and had absolutely no development. All he did was follow orders like a drone the entire time. The way 343 made it seem was that Locke was gonna question his morals while hunting Chief down and slowly learn the truth about ONI. ONI hardly played a role in anything.

Also, lol at Jul getting killed like it was nothing. Then the reunion scenes of Chief/Cortana and Chief/Halsey were absolute trash IMO. It's OKAY to show emotion in your scenes, 343. Try it sometime.

One thing I did enjoy was the actual plot and the environments. Cortana turning on her makers mirrors the sins of Mendicant Bias. There's a huge parallel there that opens up a lot of possibilities. The character development and script was just shit though.

I feel like a LOT got cut. That first concept art we got in 2014 doesn't show up, art with chief in the cloak isn't there, the campaign lev that was supposed to be in the fathom map isn't there. Wonder what happened

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like a LOT got cut. That first concept art we got in 2014 doesn't show up, art with chief in the cloak isn't there, the campaign lev that was supposed to be in the fathom map isn't there. Wonder what happened

Saving it for the expansion next year.

2015 - Halo 5: Guardians

2016 - Halo 5: (new subtitle)

2017 - Halo 5: (new subtitle)

2018 - Halo 6: you get the point

Why else does it have a subtitle? Why else end in such an extreme cliffhanger with almost nothing accomplished in the story?

They want to be like Destiny

Why do you think all the DLC was promised by June? Why June, seems random...

Oh right, they only need to get to E3 where they announce the expansion.

They might be susceptible to the logic plague that the flood use to corrupt AIs like mendicant bias. Or the flood could take over the host that commands them.

But yeah they can't transform into flood.

For them to currupt AI they would have to be around a long time though. The flood capabilities grow over time and if the infection is still "fresh" and the gravemind not grown much they would have those means.

Saving it for the expansion next year.

2015 - Halo 5: Guardians

2016 - Halo 5: (new subtitle)

2017 - Halo 5: (new subtitle)

2018 - Halo 6: you get the point

Why else does it have a subtitle? Why else end in such an extreme cliffhanger with almost nothing accomplished in the story?

They want to be like Destiny

I believe they said they eventually want to get away from using numbers in their title. Plus Halo 2 had a cliffhanger. Halo 3 technically had a cliffhanger.

I doubt they'll have some really big expansion for Halo 5 seeing that Halo Wars 2 comes out next year.

I mean it could just be that's how far they have planned out. I doubt the Champions Bundle for Halo 4 with armor and weapon skins was planned out at launch. Josh Holmes even said a couple of days ago they don't have plans for Halo 5 Story DLC.

But hey I heard tinfoil hats are back in style around here so what do I know

Frankie commented on it on GAF, said it was some legal thing. 

But I love tinfoil hats too.

Finally started it today, what the fuck? Legendary is so hard to do EVEN with 3 people. To anybody who beated the game legendary solo, how the hell did you do It? Especially with the first warden eternal fight....

Finally started it today, what the fuck? Legendary is so hard to do EVEN with 3 people. To anybody who beated the game legendary solo, how the hell did you do It? Especially with the first warden eternal fight....

Order your fireteam to go to the other side of the map so the Warden targets them and exposes his back to you. Spam it with Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifles.

The hardest fight (3 Wardens) is entirely skippable which is great.

Order your fireteam to go to the other side of the map so the Warden targets them and exposes his back to you. Spam it with Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifles.

The hardest fight (3 Wardens) is entirely skippable which is great.

Interesting. I'll try that. Yeah I saw that clip, 343 better fucking not patch that. Also other missions are so hard as well, makes me wonder how some people said solo was easy

Finished the campaign today and I'm extremely mixed  on my feelings towards this game's campaign. I absolutely love the direction they are going with Cortana into Halo 6 (which had been evident since Halo:CE when she was first placed into Installation 04s system, then her weeks spent with Gravemind between Halo 2-3 obviously changed and tortured her. Yet, Locke and Fireteam Osiris just felt awful to have. I wouldn't have minded the split campaign, I loved it in Halo 2 and you really got to see the Arbiter change throughout its run, yet in Halo 5, Locke and FTO are just too one dimensional. The campaign only took me about 7 hours on Heroic, and that was with me checking out the scenery and shit in between the intel missions. That's not enough time to flesh out eight characters split in 15 missions. I only cared for Blue Team and that was because of my reading of the novels outside of the games.

Obviously the marketing for this campaign was a complete scam, one fist fight between the Chief and Locke and that's all we get. Just a wild goose chase. I think that somewhere in the development as well, the campaign must have changed drastically. The three missions where you are searching for intel likely were with either the Chief alone, or Blue Team, but 343i just could not write that in properly. Even giving them three fleshed out intel missions would've saturated the mix of FTO and Blue Team a bit better. Honestly though, I would have been happy completely abandoning FTO and giving all the spotlight to Blue Team. Having them defend Meridian and Sanghelios during the civil war would have been epic.

I know a lot of people are comparing the campaign to Halo 2 with the abrupt ending, but honestly, when I played Halo 2 eleven years ago, I at least felt that the campaign had proper direction. I felt for the Arbiter and his journey to split from The Covenant. The prophets were a real threat and seeing them fall one by one by the end of Halo 3 was a treat. Yes, the cliffhanger sucked and finishing the game with Chief would have be nice, but I believe Halo 2 had a more complete campaign than whatever the hell we were handed here with Halo 5. I absolutely believe the campaign is better than Halo 4, but 343i really needs to help bring audiences who do not know much of the EU in better from now on.

Going into Halo 6, I pray we just have Chief and Blue Team. Locke and FTO will likely get their missions in as well, but I would not feel much if any of them are killed off in Halo 6. Reading through the novels, I definitely felt more connected to Kelly, Fred, and Linda and was extremely excited to have them involved in the campaign, and any of their future deaths would be taken more to heart personally.

TLDR: FTO while an interesting take, fell flat, like the plot. I enjoy the direction the game is going in Halo 6, but the way that it Brian Reed and the writers went about it just did not work as intended. More Blue Team please.

Pros:

• Blue Team and their three missions were sick, if we could have had another two to three with them spread out over the campaign, I would have felt satisfied with the amount of Locke and FTO.
  • Soundtrack was a massive stepup from Halo 4. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but I really was digging the music in this campaign.
  • Cliffhanger while abrupt, does give a great direction which has been seen coming since Halo 3 and 4 with Cortana's rampancy (Hell it was even noted in First Strike how much of her lifespan was used up as a result of her journey on the first Halo).
  • Roland, I'm excited to see his role in Halo 6 as one of the few AIs that did not defect to Cortana.
  • Governor Sloan's role was a nice touch and foreshadowing of what Cortana had planned with the AIs.
  • Sanghelios, yes.
  • Exuberant Witness was fantastic. Both Bungie and 343i really know how to nail the personalities of the monitors down well. Hoping she gets to continue the journey in Halo 6.

Cons:

• Why the fuck do you kill Jul'Mdama on the first mission? He easily could have made it to about halfway through the campaign, possibly a solid duel between him and The Arbiter to make a good subplot with the Elites and their civil war.
  • The Warden Eternal, enough said.
  • 343i needs to flesh out the introductions for casual gamers who only play the campaigns and are unaware of the EU. I was excited for Blue Team, but it did feel awkward that they were just 'there' with no explanation of where the other Spartan IIs came from.
  • Locke was pointless. Yes it would have been cool to see his hunt for Chief and Blue Team, but Blue Team could have done everything he and FTO did throughout the campaign. I think 343i just wants their own helm at the series now and are trying to push Chief on the backburner. I hope not.
  • Chief vs Locke fist fight. No way in hell some ONI agent is ever going to get close to beating THE Spartan II in hand to hand combat. Jesus that was brutal to watch.
  • Dialogue was cringe worthy at points.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The more I think about it, the more I believe Locke is a complete non-character. Whether intentional, making him a self-insert for the character, or not he's one of the least interesting characters in the entire franchise. Vale would have been a better co-lead. She at least has some character and a reasonably fleshed out back story (Hunters in the Dark).

The more I think about it, the more I believe Locke is a complete non-character. Whether intentional, making him a self-insert for the character, or not he's one of the least interesting characters in the entire franchise. Vale would have been a better co-lead. She at least has some character and a reasonably fleshed out back story (Hunters in the Dark).

There's no way he was intended as a self insert character. The less you know about those characters the better you can see yourself as the character. That's why Noble Six worked well - and Chief at first.

But Locke was given a story in a nightfall that not only fleshed him out a bit but made him really unlikable.

Interesting. I'll try that. Yeah I saw that clip, 343 better fucking not patch that. Also other missions are so hard as well, makes me wonder how some people said solo was easy

I can see why some would say its hard. I really got frustrated on some parts (especially the warden).

But having played halo 1-4 + odst and reach all on solo legendary multiple times, plus CE LASO, halo 5 wasn't too bad. You just have to figure out how to use your team i.e. move there, target this enemy, and revive teammates.

Oh and a hint, targeting enemies for your team isn't always the right move like you would think. Almost every time I targeted the warden my whole team would run up to him and they would all die in an instant.

Its better to force them to move to a spot and they'll shoot enemies from there.

Also be careful about always having them separated from you, because revives are essential, and they won't get to you if they are even remotely far from you.

I can see why some would say its hard. I really got frustrated on some parts (especially the warden).

But having played halo 1-4 + odst and reach all on solo legendary multiple times, plus CE LASO, halo 5 wasn't too bad. You just have to figure out how to use your team i.e. move there, target this enemy, and revive teammates.

Oh and a hint, targeting enemies for your team isn't always the right move like you would think. Almost every time I targeted the warden my whole team would run up to him and they would all die in an instant.

Its better to force them to move to a spot and they'll shoot enemies from there.

Also be careful about always having them separated from you, because revives are essential, and they won't get to you if they are even remotely far from you.

Thank you for the tips :)
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Sloan was a standout character I thought.

- Excellent and charismatic voice acting, combined with an interesting role in the narrative,

- The tidbit about him 'sacrificing resolution for logic cycles' was a neat bit to flesh out the backstory of how AIs go rampant.

- Kind of an antihero role that made him one of the few multi-dimensional characters in the story.

Gets to mission 7, Man, this mission is awesome! The level design is absolutely amazing and gorgeous and finally some covenant that aren't a pain in the ass to kill! Then proceeds to fight ANOTHER fucking Warden that requires me to camp in the back of the map for 20 minutes slowly shooting 1 bullet of my suppressor at a time...

Don't get me wrong Forerunners look badass but they aren't fun to fight at all with them being bullet sponges, it's just so tedious. I would rather have the Flood back.

I'm on the Sanghellios level now and I'm liking it so far. No forerunner enemies and cool level to play on.