Moa

Halo 5: Guardians Campaign Discussion

That's essentially what happened in Halo 3, though, which wouldn't tie up the story unless they went for an incredibly disappointing peace-with-the-machines-Matrix ending in which the Flood and other sentient races tentatively agree to leave each other alone.

Well maybe it'd be like hey remember that time you helped us yeah we need your help again, and I'm assuming they'd wipe out Cortana because nothing would give me a stiffer erection than the mass tears nerds would weep killing her off. 

Well maybe it'd be like hey remember that time you helped us yeah we need your help again, and I'm assuming they'd wipe out Cortana because nothing would give me a stiffer erection than the mass tears nerds would weep killing her off. 

Well... ... ...yes. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cortana having a "bad guy" story arc isn't the issue. The issue is that the leak was filled with cliches and awful writing. The leak took something that could take place across a couple missions and stretched it out to become the full story with lots of filler. There is no arc to this story at all if it's true. Cortana is controlling the domain. She activates Guardians. Locke makes sure Chief doesn't deal with this alone because he is fragile. Find Arbiter. Cortana recruits AI. The end. How is that more than 2 missions and a little bit of exposition? No way that's the entire plot.

Nobody has played the game yet and you have zero idea how fast this story progresses. You can simplify the plot of nearly any story down to a paragraph. That doesn't mean it's bad writing - that would describe the actual narrative of all the gameplay and dialogue, of which you know nothing yet. 

You sound like you know absolutely nothing about writing and moreover sound like one of the new pessimistic internet dweebs who gets off by stimulated some weird superiority complex by causing as much dissatisfaction and cynicism as possible even by picking apart unsubstantiated rumors- a new breed of person that seems to be growing day by day. Dark times.

Why people who play video games and to a certain extent the Superfans of things like Star Wars are so determined to know every single detail about games before they are even released - either get up in arms about them or dismiss the actual released product when it doesn't include something rumored about before - completely baffles me. I don't want Stanley Kubrick to show me what his movies were like before he edited them, I don't want to read manuscripts of novels before the author is done. That's fucking stupid. They are a work in progress and not intended to be seen, when the artist releases the work that is the thing they want you to see. (I know this example doesn't strictly apply here but you get my point - it's speculation on a product that isn't released yet.) The funny thing is that those people are more than often the ones so adamantly arguing that Video Games are an art form but yet they do not treat it as such. They do not evaluate it as such. They do not discuss it as such. They do not examine it as such. They do not consume it as such.

Baffling.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

WALL OF TEXT

Dude I'm one of the people saying I don't believe the leaks. I don't believe them BECAUSE the plot was grossly simplified and pedestrian at best. I feel like the story will be much better than the leak. Learn to read in context, man. I'm over here praying the leak is fake. I'm a huge lore fan and have literally loved every piece of Halo fiction. I quoted a post you made from December and you also had your doubts about the game. I'm not and will never be a 343 hater, br thumper, or any type or critic toward Halo and the way 343 is taking the franchise. I'm just a critic of bad spoilers that sound like a 5th grade essay contest. My criticism of the leak is my way of telling myself it can't be real. 343 is better than that and I truly believe those words. If the leaks are real then I'm SURE 343 will find a way to tell the story in a much better way than the awful plot summary on Neogaf did. You misjudged me based on 1-2 posts out of context. Sorry for the downvote.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are you guys hating on cortana being a bad guy controlling the guardians? That's pretty bad ass to me

Halo went from being about exploring ancient structures and stopping ancient threats on a galactic scale to dealing with a pissed off AI. I understand that Halo can't remain the same forever, but that is a very lame direction for the story to go to in my opinion. The amount of Halo lore is incredible, and they're going with a Terminator/Matrix route that I just don't like. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 was written by Nicholas Sparks confirmed. This game is turning into a damn romance movie. Can't say I'm upset though, I love that sappy shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dude I'm one of the people saying I don't believe the leaks. I don't believe them BECAUSE the plot was grossly simplified and pedestrian at best. I feel like the story will be much better than the leak. Learn to read in context, man. I'm over here praying the leak is fake. I'm a huge lore fan and have literally loved every piece of Halo fiction. I quoted a post you made from December and you also had your doubts about the game. I'm not and will never be a 343 hater, br thumper, or any type or critic toward Halo and the way 343 is taking the franchise. I'm just a critic of bad spoilers that sound like a 5th grade essay contest. My criticism of the leak is my way of telling myself it can't be real. 343 is better than that and I truly believe those words. If the leaks are real then I'm SURE 343 will find a way to tell the story in a much better way than the awful plot summary on Neogaf did. You misjudged me based on 1-2 posts out of context. Sorry for the downvote.

My bad for directing it at you then, but hopefully you still understand my point

• Upvote (+1) 1

My bad for directing it at you then, but hopefully you still understand my point

I definitely understand your point. To an extent I think the negativity of the community hurt Halo just as much as anything. We criticize everything no matter how positive. We demand things then complain when they don't meet our impossible standards. I've always been annoyed at the people you are pointing out. Especially the ones who completely trash everything 343 does no matter what. I do think we should give them feedback and have a firm stance on issues like descope and fundamentals of Halo. I just don't see the point in arguing against every single little design choice 343 makes. I disliked how easy it was to shoot in Halo 4 and flinch was awful imo but I still played it and supported 343 hoping one day we would regain the spotlight as a community. If the game has flaws then instead of calling 343 worthless or throwing shade we need to collectively and constructively give them feedback on any issues we discover. This includes the story. If it's disliked by the majority of Halo fans then we should show our concern but also trust that maybe the bigger picture brings it all together. For all we know the colon in Halo 5: Guardians implies that 343 is going to release more missions under different names while adding to the same multiplayer and making it better. For example-- Halo 5: Precursors could be planned for a 2016 release with more maps for the existing multiplayer and a new campaign that continues where Guardians left off. A little trust goes a long way and even though it seems like 343 has betrayed the fan base a time too many we should at least try to trust them until we give Halo 5 a fair chance. If the game is bad I'll be the first to admit it. However, for the sake of growth I'll continue to play it and give as much constructive feedback as possible. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting theory if the leak is true: Cortana plans to use the Halo ring at the end of the game to unleash the flood. Her time with Gravemind corrupted her and she sees the flood as the only way to really unite all of the universe.

At this point I believe the leaks. I just think they are a gross simplification of a more vast story. As long as we don't have to wait past October 2016 for more story to continue I'll be perfectly fine with a slight cliffhanger.

I think that some people would more at home on Waypoint where they can suck up to the devs about how good the writing is...Bryan Reed is a shite writer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Snipedown just walked into his own splinter grenade.

It was amazing. 

EDIT: Wrong thread.  :wutface:  Here is something relevant instead- spoilers confirmed.

1445485865398.jpg

1445486059500.jpg1445487181422.jpg1445487640752.jpg1445485705422.jpg

It was amazing.

EDIT: Wrong thread. :wutface: Here is something relevant instead- spoilers confirmed.

1445485865398.jpg

Fucking terrible. Do they even explain how Cortana is still alive? Or why she's doing this? I'm betting after the backlash over her being made into a villain that in Halo 6 they'll say jk it was the evil corrupted version of Cortana that did it.

It was amazing. 

EDIT: Wrong thread.  :wutface:  Here is something relevant instead- spoilers confirmed.

1445485865398.jpg

If they don't explain any of this shit in the game, then I'm probably going to quit Halo for good.

If they don't explain any of this shit in the game, then I'm probably going to quit Halo for good.

343 are awful at filling in the gaps between games. If you didn't play Spartan Ops you missed out on a good chunk of the set up for Halo 5, if you didn't read the comics then the Didact being composed is probably a mystery to you, and they bring back the blue team without explaining them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ummmm. Am I the only one who thinks cortana' face look pretty bad? Like it doesn't look like her at all. Oh, anybody know how is she alive?

Ummmm. Am I the only one who thinks cortana' face look pretty bad? Like it doesn't look like her at all. Oh, anybody know how is she alive?

I have some theories, but probably wrong. End of halo 4 cortana attacks the didact. I think she is in his armor, and when the didact goes to access the domain, she overides the didact and domain, and gains control of the domain.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So that's it? That's why people are going around acting like world war 3 happened? A summary by a guy named Greenleaf who might have posted something completely false and did a poor summary at that. That was the cause of the caos? I expected something much worse even if it does turn out to be true but don't think its true I'll see it when I watch the cutscenes. They told me... who the hell is they?

Honestly this website's forgot password function that takes fucking years to send an email is a lot worse than his awful amateur summary

So that's it? That's why people are going around acting like world war 3 happened? A summary by a guy named Greenleaf who might have posted something completely false and did a poor summary at that. That was the cause of the caos? I expected something much worse even if it does turn out to be true but don't think its true I'll see it when I watch the cutscenes. They told me... who the hell is they?

Honestly this website's forgot password function that takes fucking years to send an email is a lot worse than his awful amateur summary

All confirmed by now. There's screenshots and video.