Moa

Halo 5: Guardians Campaign Discussion

What a joke of a campaign. All the marketing was 100% misdirection and a lie. Locke being the reason Chief's helmet shattered and that whole scene was bullshit, Chief should have just swatted his non-augmented ass down in 2 seconds. So many negatives but you have all hit on them already, and to think I was so pumped up for this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What a joke of a campaign. All the marketing was 100% misdirection and a lie. Locke being the reason Chief's helmet shattered and that whole scene was bullshit, Chief should have just swatted his non-augmented ass down in 2 seconds. So many negatives but you have all hit on them already, and to think I was so pumped up for this.

That whole fight scene was in slow motion and so un spartan like. Chief would've thrown so many lightning jabs in the short time that Locke could've thrown a single punch, whoever choreographed that fight needs help.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fist fight was kinda awkward, but you gotta admit Chief snatching Locke's BR and breaking it on his head was fucking badass.

Why were people saying the campaign was short? It took me a pretty long time doing it legendary solo. And who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have the same boss fight, what was it, like EIGHT FUCKING TIMES? And then he starts duplicating at the end so I had to kill this dude like 12 fucking times. Holy shit 343, it was barely fun the first time.

After finally getting to beating it with some friends we all felt kind of speechless at the end. As if, we had just been robbed yet again. I don't know guys, I know its kind of the norm to be on the 343 hate train, but that was something really poor. The formula of- intro scene, narrow path, hit button, dialogue , run to open area, clear area, hit button, video got stale by the second mission. 

I want a Halo game that has some open feeling to it like CE did. They had so many expansive locations, like fuck man. You imagine missions like Halo and Cartographer? Sure it was get to point a, b, c, d, or hit button 1, 2 then go here, but fuck the at least were open to explore, do new ways and let you go your own way. 

I almost wish I didn't play it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

After finally getting to beating it with some friends we all felt kind of speechless at the end. As if, we had just been robbed yet again. I don't know guys, I know its kind of the norm to be on the 343 hate train, but that was something really poor. The formula of- intro scene, narrow path, hit button, dialogue , run to open area, clear area, hit button, video got stale by the second mission.

I want a Halo game that has some open feeling to it like CE did. They had so many expansive locations, like fuck man. You imagine missions like Halo and Cartographer? Sure it was get to point a, b, c, d, or hit button 1, 2 then go here, but fuck the at least were open to explore, do new ways and let you go your own way.

I almost wish I didn't play it.

Played TnR and SC yesterday. Still good. ;)

Played TnR and SC yesterday. Still good. ;)

I had to play CE today to get the awful taste of H5 single player out of my mouth. 

I would edit my poor post as well..but I'm just gonna blame that on the NyQuil diet I'm on.

I had to play CE today to get the awful taste of H5 single player out of my mouth.

I would edit my poor post as well..but I'm just gonna blame that on the NyQuil diet I'm on.

Although I think CE's gameplay is the bar I still enjoyed the Halo 5 campaign.

IMO fighting the prometheans was fun (moreso in the later levels). The bossfights I personally liked as well. They got me to think about my positioning, almost felt like a Dark Souls bossfight.

Didn't like fighting the covenant (Same as in Halo 4) The design of them seems weak. They don't have that menacing touch anymore, neither do their weapons (visual design and sound design) Elites suffer the most from it and seem like a joke. Covenant weapons feel like Bb guns comparef to H:CE.

H5 story was i little lame.

(Played Solo on Legendary)

Although on level design I agree nothing will probably be like SC and Halo again. CE started out as a PC game and was meant for the hardcore audience on Xbox that is not the target demographic anymore.

Although I think CE's gameplay is the bar I still enjoyed the Halo 5 campaign.

IMO fighting the prometheans was fun (moreso in the later levels). The bossfights I personally liked as well. They got me to think about my positioning, almost felt like a Dark Souls bossfight.

Didn't like fighting the covenant (Same as in Halo 4) The design of them seems weak. They don't have that menacing touch anymore, neither do their weapons (visual design and sound design) Elites suffer the most from it and seem like a joke. Covenant weapons feel like Bb guns comparef to H:CE.

(Played Solo on Legendary)

For me it wasn't really about the gunplay and interactions with the AI. As you stated fighting the prometheans was more enjoyable than it was in Halo 4. They seemed to not be as..meh. The bossfights were probably the only Halo bossfights that made sense. A big improvement on hitting LT. Furthermore have to agree about the Elites in the game. If they were new to the series, I would applaud the art team. However since 343's taken over, they've gotten really beefy and kind of..dumb looking in a way. Just these bulky hunch backed dino's that walk like triangles. Even the jackles and grunts annoyed me in this game purely on their audio dialogue and looks.I get the 343 lore behind the changes and it makes sense obviously since we're 15years ahead now. But my god even the grunts look like they're strung out on crack. Speaking of Cov weapons, where the fuck did the plasma rifle go? Shit they should have brought that back into the game and returned it to its CE style. 

It was more about the actual mission design and the structure that 343 imposed. It was lacking what I've always loved about Halo missions. In all of the games there have been one or two sub par missions that played poor in various ways. Even CE had some pretty limited missions that were painful. However most made up for it by the control you could have. I just found Halo 5 to be very restrictive and straightforward. Predictable combat if you will. All the alternate routes you could take in the massive area would all lead to this narrow chasm or door block. Granted this has always been the case in modern games, some games hide it much better than others. In general, I just feel like 343 has issues pacing content and letting the player find a natural flow of mystery and exploration. Halo 5 has so much dialogue and exposition crammed into it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Still have no clue why 343 deleted the Plasma Rifle from the halo universe

Pop in Halo 2 Cairo Station Legendary and go fight the Elites in the hangar bays. It's legit suppressive fire from the plasma rifles. You'll be sitting there pinned down behind a box while the elites absolutely melt the corner of it. No idea why they would decide to remove that experience, it was a real sense of achievement once you found a way to get past it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just finished mission 8. I hate it how I feel like I don't know who master chief is anymore since I barely see him. And I can't play as him again for like 6 more missions. That in my opinion is such a horrible choice by 343.

I honestly feel like 343 literally cut at least 5 chief missions because of the advertising, hunt the truth, comics, trailers, concept arts, there are a lot of things I did not see in the game. So depressing having to deal with that.

Why were people saying the campaign was short? It took me a pretty long time doing it legendary solo. And who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have the same boss fight, what was it, like EIGHT FUCKING TIMES? And then he starts duplicating at the end so I had to kill this dude like 12 fucking times. Holy shit 343, it was barely fun the first time.

Rumor has it 343 stole it from here..  :kappa:

1090227628.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

I thought the exact same thing about the boss. I immediately felt it was a Dark Souls boss as someone who's played all of the Souls games like a million times. Mechanically he was lame as hell though. Sort of like a DS2 boss with training wheels lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find it hilarious that Halo 5 has 15 missions yet is being criticized the Shortest Halo campaign ever

I thought the exact same thing about the boss. I immediately felt it was a Dark Souls boss as someone who's played all of the Souls games like a million times. Mechanically he was lame as hell though. Sort of like a DS2 boss with training wheels lol

Yeah felt more like DS2 with the additional enemies especially. But it's just weird in Halo to face an enemy that is so overpowered in damage output and health compared to you.

I didn't botger circling the Warden though. I shot him in the head with various weapons. The fun came from avoiding/killing his subs and getting more ammo without dying.

I personally enjoy the shit out of unscripted boss enemies like that in Halo. As long as they don't kill you instantly when they see you (H2 Heretic leader) Liked the H2 Tartarus fight as well.

For me it wasn't really about the gunplay and interactions with the AI. As you stated fighting the prometheans was more enjoyable than it was in Halo 4. They seemed to not be as..meh. The bossfights were probably the only Halo bossfights that made sense. A big improvement on hitting LT. Furthermore have to agree about the Elites in the game. If they were new to the series, I would applaud the art team. However since 343's taken over, they've gotten really beefy and kind of..dumb looking in a way. Just these bulky hunch backed dino's that walk like triangles. Even the jackles and grunts annoyed me in this game purely on their audio dialogue and looks.I get the 343 lore behind the changes and it makes sense obviously since we're 15years ahead now. But my god even the grunts look like they're strung out on crack. Speaking of Cov weapons, where the fuck did the plasma rifle go? Shit they should have brought that back into the game and returned it to its CE style.

It was more about the actual mission design and the structure that 343 imposed. It was lacking what I've always loved about Halo missions. In all of the games there have been one or two sub par missions that played poor in various ways. Even CE had some pretty limited missions that were painful. However most made up for it by the control you could have. I just found Halo 5 to be very restrictive and straightforward. Predictable combat if you will. All the alternate routes you could take in the massive area would all lead to this narrow chasm or door block. Granted this has always been the case in modern games, some games hide it much better than others. In general, I just feel like 343 has issues pacing content and letting the player find a natural flow of mystery and exploration. Halo 5 has so much dialogue and exposition crammed into it.

Oh that's interesting. Haven't thought mich about the openess of the H5 levels beyond the alternative path accessed by shoulder charge, which I feel are there to give the 4 players in coop multiple angles but also give a degree of choice to you in SP. But it feels kinda weird to me still. It doesn't hold up to the open spaces like SC.

Which CE missions do you find sub-par or painful?

Yeah the exposition part is probably a combination of them trying hard to make the campaign accessible to people who haben't read the books/comics and the setup of having a 3 other characters with you.

In the games I tend to like more the most interesting part comes from what's hinted at vaguely and makes you want to find out or speculate. Dark Souls is a very good example for it. It's a preference i guess but I like it when the game has a lot of story but it's not forced onto you. You can do anything between soaking it in and ignoring it when it's not forced onto you.

Campaign wasn't too short I thought it was a good length. It was also pretty challenging. I'd say the coolest part of the story was the covenant civil war missions fighting alongside the arbiter was badass.

But yeah fighting the warden 8 times and fighting soo many god damn Promethean knights drove me insane

Ok got to quickly ask how long did it take you guys to finish the campaign? Angry Joes is saying he finished it and 4 hours and 30 minutes? Seriously I finished it on normal in 6 hours and 24 minutes so idk about other peoples runs but from my standpoint Angry Joe must have rushed through it on easy. 

Ok got to quickly ask how long did it take you guys to finish the campaign? Angry Joes is saying he finished it and 4 hours and 30 minutes? Seriously I finished it on normal in 6 hours and 24 minutes so idk about other peoples runs but from my standpoint Angry Joe must have rushed through it on easy.

Lol i finished heroic solo in 6. I can totally believe finishing in 4

I ran through it on normal in 4.5 hrs.

Is it just me or are the Squad AI (Osiris/Blue Team) actually knowing how to drive while I take the gun?

They'll probably choke on Legendary though.

7 hours on Heroic

Spoilers for Halo Silentium follow (and Halo 5, obviously).

So if, as Silentium revealed, the Domain is the Organon and thus, Precursor technology and, like all implements of the Precursors, destroyed upon the activation of the Halo array by the IsoDidact/Bornstellar (which was the reason for the UrDidact's state in Halo 4: he had been left with nothing but his hatred of humanity for hundreds of millennia, with no ability to access the now-destroyed Domain); what 'Domain' had Cortana accessed and interfaced with (and had her rampancy cured through) in Halo 5? The 'Domain' accessed in Halo 4's terminals was only a local archive with very limited content which Cortana described during the game as being 'caught in a loop,' so that can't be used as evidence for the Domain's broad survival, particularly as Requiem was a shield world (and Genesis is not, as far as I can tell).

This was bothering me throughout the campaign.