Moa

Halo 5: Guardians Campaign Discussion

Updated title. :flames:

Well I clicked on the wrong thread. Wondering why it was only 11 pages.

The campaign was okay, but it had too many fan fiction cliche shit. Disappointing to be honest, and #HuntTheTruth my ass,I've heard Halo 3 (I agree) has the worst campaign in the series, and Halo 4 the best one, then I'd rank H5G between Halo 2 and 3.

1.H4
2.CE
3.Reach
4.Halo 2
5.Halo 5
6.Halo 3

None of them are bad, but the bottom 2 are just "okay".

Edit:

Cons:

-QTE ending, again
-Badly implemented plot cliches
-Misleading ads. Brb Locke and Chief are buddy buddy at the end and only had 1 fight scene.
-Random "Warden Eternal" guy
-Jul M'dama died in the first 10 minutes
-Crap cliffhanger

Pros:

Smooth gameplay
Vastly improved designs and scenery
in game engine cinematics (would have preferred cutscenes by Blur, but that's quite expensive).
Arbiter was useless but badass
More open world feel to it (specially meridian)

That plot was completely out of left field but overall I enjoyed it. My only gripe is that the ending was very Halo 2-esque and sets things up a little too neatly for the next main title, with no consequences that are actually seen or felt by the player, except for that one woman who got onto the comms during the elevator sequence and (I'm guessing) died right after.

There were two moments though where I honestly laughed out loud. The first was the opening cutscene where Halsey's doing whatever in her lab (prepping Cortana/The Package for Noble Six I think?), then she and Cortana look at each other and Cortana has the most bizarre, twisted grin on her face. Reminded me of Evil Stewie from that one Family Guy episode. The other time was the first scene with Exuberant/the Cortana monitor. I mean... really? I don't hate the idea of it or thought it harmed the plot, the idea of Cortana in monitor form is just highly amusing to me for some reason.

That plot was completely out of left field but overall I enjoyed it. My only gripe is that the ending was very Halo 2-esque and sets things up a little too neatly for the next main title, with no consequences that are actually seen or felt by the player, except for that one woman who got onto the comms during the elevator sequence and (I'm guessing) died right after.

There were two moments though where I honestly laughed out loud. The first was the opening cutscene where Halsey's doing whatever in her lab (prepping Cortana/The Package for Noble Six I think?), then she and Cortana look at each other and Cortana has the most bizarre, twisted grin on her face. Reminded me of Evil Stewie from that one Family Guy episode. The other time was the first scene with Exuberant/the Cortana monitor. I mean... really? I don't hate the idea of it or thought it harmed the plot, the idea of Cortana in monitor form is just highly amusing to me for some reason.

Huh? Exuberant isn't Cortana.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The campaign was okay, but it had too many fan fiction cliche shit. Disappointing to be honest, and #HuntTheTruth my ass,I've heard Halo 3 (I agree) has the worst campaign in the series, and Halo 4 the best one

Hahahaha what? Maybe if you're 100% invested in the Master Chief x Cortana OTP

Do the quick time event endings matter that much to anyone else? I really feel like I could be blowing it out of proportion but man do I think it's awful. I have no idea if they improved it upon Halo 4's QTE, but they just feel like awful slaps in the face to me.

Huh? Exuberant isn't Cortana.

She's not? I instantly thought that that's what they were going for with her. Did Jen Taylor do Exuberant's voice acting?

She's not? I instantly thought that that's what they were going for with her. Did Jen Taylor do Exuberant's voice acting?

Nope, that's the monitor for Genesis. Cortana and Exuberant are two different people. 

No idea who voiced the monitor though.

Any idea why exuberant was helping us out? They really need a book explaining wtf happened to cortana in between h5 and h5 cuz this shit just completely flips the script.

Hahahaha what? Maybe if you're 100% invested in the Master Chief x Cortana OTP

Halo 4 being considered the best campaign is one of the things I hear the most, and I agree tbh. While the game is shit, the story was great IMO. Sure it had some crap characters like Palmer or some SIV assholes, but it was mostly great. This one was basically fan fiction.

Just finished the campaign on legendary and I gotta say while I did really enjoy it, it wasn't really the story I was expecting to get.

Any idea why exuberant was helping us out? They really need a book explaining wtf happened to cortana in between h5 and h5 cuz this shit just completely flips the script.

It's explained in-game. Exuberant is the monitor of Genesis and Cortana/Warden have stopped her from accessing stuff she'd normally be able to. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I enjoyed the campaign, story and all. It was fun and entertaining and I thought the Cortana decision is something that is interesting enough to explore in future games. I don't think its perfect, but I guess I don't feel strongly enough to discuss the narrative strengths and weaknesses of a sci-fi video game. I don't say that to belittle the genre and medium, but just to kinda explain that it allows me to set up certain expectations. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good Campaign, ending was weak as hell though

basically my thoughts.

that last cutscene was such a tease and a dull way to end what i felt was the most rigerous halo yet in terms of missions. halo 5 having the best boss battes thus far definately makes it one of the better campaigns. the story is a mixed bag, but for me i'm actually glad this wasn't what i predicted. that and locke is a G

Just finished Campaign and i have some questions...

How the hell does Cortana go from helping Chief destroy the didact in H4 to wanting to kill all of Humanity that doesn't bow down to her. Like wtf??

Who is the new guilty sparks? Literally showed up out of no where and started helping...

and to finish it all off we barely play as the Chief...

Other then that i enjoyed it and was all around happy.. The story came out of no where though with Cortana turning crazy.

Just finished Campaign and i have some questions...

How the hell does Cortana go from helping Chief destroy the didact in H4 to wanting to kill all of Humanity that doesn't bow down to her. Like wtf??

Who is the new guilty sparks? Literally showed up out of no where and started helping...

and to finish it all off we barely play as the Chief...

Other then that i enjoyed it and was all around happy.. The story came out of no where though with Cortana turning crazy.

I don't think it is ever explained but I just assumed she is still crazy after rampancy. She claims to have cured rampancy but I feel like she has only found a solution for the seven year life cycle. She was behaving extremely out of character for the entire story.

That's the monitor of Genesis, the Forerunner installation you're on. Cortana and the Warden have took over most of her systems and she's helping us to stop them.

Agreed about the lack of Chief/Blue Team missions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Finished 4 player Legendary. Thought it was fun as fuck and the missions were much more interesting than other Halos. Guess the campaign is just polarizing, oh well

Dang just realized I'm going to have to wait another 2-3 years to find out what happens next

Or they might kill Cortana off in a comic or novel like they did with the Didact.

And in 3 years you can have a new villain that makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or they might kill Cortana off in a comic or novel like they did with the Didact.

And in 3 years you can have a new villain that makes no sense.

Hopefully we get some kind of a book detailing what exactly Cortana's been up to between 4 and 5.

Just finished the campaign... and I have some thoughts.

I called the Cortana twist pretty much the day after I finished Halo 4's campaign. Saw that shit from a mile off. Not that I'm particularly disappointed. I actually don't mind it. Forerunner technology fixing Cortana was really the only way to keep her around and I like Cortana so it's all good. Even if she's not on the same side of the Chief anymore.

Locke ended up sort of pointless to the story. Honestly, the story would have been much better had it just been Chief and Blue Team trying to find Cortana. However, Osiris as a whole I quite liked. I wish there was a bit more of Olympia Vale. She was the most interesting person on that squad. Tanaka and Buck were solid enough companions. But Locke was just... sort of there.

So yea, the story was so-so. I liked the Cortana stuff. Didn't like the execution of how the story was told.

From a gameplay perspective though, man, the level design was truly top notch. Had a lot of fun playing it.

Hopefully we get some kind of a book detailing what exactly Cortana's been up to between 4 and 5.

Which is bullshit, by the way. You don't annoy a majority of your audience with a lack of details as to why someone is going batshit crazy and how the fuck any of that is going on with supporting text. That's kind of something that should have been in the game to begin with.