Sign in to follow this  
Tradition

Halo 5: Guardians REQ Pack Opinion Thread

In this thread I want to hear everyone's opinion on REQ Packs and how they feel about it. 

My Quick explanation of REQ packs: 

Xbox Explanation of REQ System: 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's an inefficient capitalization on explorations from other games...

BUT, it's a way for 343/Halo to generate post-release revenue, and therefore it's a reason for them to put more effort into sustaining already released titles.

It means either

1) Bigger budget for the next game

2) More content for the current game

Either way, regardless of the execution, it's a positive for the game, especially since outside of skins it won't affect the arena experience.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Meh, I don't really see the fun in it. Sounds kinda cheesy, to be honest. Don't really care though as long as the gameplay changes stay out of arena.

Good concept. I feel like the implementation is going to be lacking though from what we've seen so far. REQ packs sound way more Hearthstone card pack than CS crate. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's an inefficient capitalization on explorations from other games...

BUT, it's a way for 343/Halo to generate post-release revenue, and therefore it's a reason for them to put more effort into sustaining already released titles.

It means either

1) Bigger budget for the next game

2) More content for the current game

Either way, regardless of the execution, it's a positive for the game, especially since outside of skins it won't affect the arena experience.

Totally agree with you on this

Good concept. I feel like the implementation is going to be lacking though from what we've seen so far. REQ packs sound way more Hearthstone card pack than CS crate. 

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. I'm curious to what lengths they take this.

Great idea, especially with a % of the money going into our tournaments. It's worked great for the Counter strike Go scene, and it'll work great in our scene. I know i'm personally, hopelessly addicted to opening Cases on CSGO. Probably have spent $100's on Cases. As long as the skins are  :flames: . They'll be taking my money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It could be utilized even more for gambling incentives - if they were to make it where u could trade

I get the whole 18+ thing for gambling but god damn, how does CSGO do it?

The system is very similiar to Hearthstones, but the fact that you have some control over what you get makes it a lot better. Also the fact that you don't get ripped off to hell. I think the actual things you can get with REQ's in Warzone, and how it affects the gameplay is really shitty, adds a massive random element with weapons, powerups, perks and vehicles, and also gives situations where something super ultra rare can amount to nothing when you die 10secs in.

But I won't be playing warzone, so for arena it will be sick. 

From a gameplay POV i dont like how REQ Cards give the chance to have a whole team going OP vehicles, so regarding the REQ Packs i really hope the vehicle cards are very rare so that only a few amount of people in each team actually has the chance for a banshee or something else (yes i know they are single use but that just makes it slighly better)

• Upvote (+1) 1

It could be utilized even more for gambling incentives - if they were to make it where u could trade

I get the whole 18+ thing for gambling but god damn, how does CSGO do it?

They basically just have the ability to trade and sell items within Steam (which in itself is valuable), everything on the gambling side is done by 3rd parties who create sites with bots to mass trade/bet. The 3rd parties do the minimum of putting age restriction in their rules but they're probably not heavily regulated because you're betting items instead of currency.

OT- Even without the ability to trade/sell having this in Halo is a good idea, hopefully it takes off.

I view it as something that will keep people playing. Like "oh man i really wanna get linda's sniper! I gotta level up to get more req packs"

All I am saying is, if they can have some sort of betting system during tournaments where you can bet req points on teams with friends, that would be awesome. If they are taking the HCS as seriously as they say, they would do cool fun shit like this

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cool concept, overall I see no negatives, especially considering I probably won't step foot into Warzone. Cosmetic items that fund prize pools is something we've all wanted. As long as we can get things like player/team specific stickers/skins/emblems I'll be happy. I'd love to rock a CLG sticker/emblem.

Even after watching the video 3 times I still don't fully understand what REQ packs are, however it seems pretty clear that they will be a good source of revenue, they should be fairly successful considering its not just weapons but specific styled weapons and armor and everything, I know personally I wanna catch them all :P

Did they say exactly how much percentage wise will be going to HCS? I mean I think its great that they are doing that at all (likely as a way to get competitive players to purchase them also) but if it ends up just being like 1% then that'll be pretty underwhelming.

You can earn REQ packs without spending money.

They only affect one game mode.

Generates post launch revenue like Tiberious pointed out.

DLC is now free because of previous point.

A percentage of the money spent on REQ packs goes into funding HCS tournaments.

I think REQ packs are great and they don't really have any downsides to them other than not being able to trade skins or gift them. 

I think quite a lot of the stuff they're doing is pointless but some are cool. I hope they don't make them like some cod skins that look like a complete joke and it'd be nice to have a way to bet them, probably won't happen though.

I am super happy about it won't affect arena since that's what I care the most about. However, it is a good idea to keep people interested in the game longer, and I love the fact they will have some % go toward prize pool for HCS, that has to make a lot of pros pretty happy.

I feel that 343 should have added some kind of trading system for the REQ system to help generate player interest.  It works very well for games like TF2.

BTW it should be:

Halo 5: Guardians REQ Pack Opinions Thread

(this isn't Opinion's REQ Pack thread)

:kappa:

I just noticed that lol man I was half asleep when I typed this thread is there a way to edit the title of the thread?