Sign in to follow this  
Greeny

Need Some Advice Please

Okay so I started a job while out of school for the summer(I'm 20). It was alright , a basic 40 hr job. Just a lot of hard work since I'm loading trucks all day in a non air conditioned warehouse. Anyway, for the past two weeks they have sent me to another loading dock and been making me work 55-60 hour weeks. This has bugged me since I do still want a life and usually have plans during the evening, but decided it won't go on long and just stick it through. Today I find out ill have to keep doing this until I'm done with this job. I asked them why I'm the only one having to stay over there and work this and everyone else from my original dock doesn't, they say because I'm summer help. So I was thinking about finding another job, one that would not be so long of hours and better fit for me. Just didnt know if I'm being a pansy about this, or actually have a valid reason for wanting another job.

Think you for sure have a valid reason. It's just a summer job, I understand wanting to have a life haha. You should just start applying for other jobs, then if you get/find one, then you can walk away from the one you are at now

Id say suck it up and look on the bright side.

You get to work and make more money while getting in a good sweat

Once you get a proper job you'll be working far longer than 40 hour weeks. Best suck it up mate, this is what you've got to look forward to for the next 40 years of your life.

Once you get a proper job you'll be working far longer than 40 hour weeks. Best suck it up mate, this is what you've got to look forward to for the next 40 years of your life.

I'm doing about 55-60 a week now. Just want to find something with set/lower hours

as long as your getting paid for those hours, i say stick through it, save up some money...etc it'll be better in the long run

I'm doing about 55-60 a week now. Just want to find something with set/lower hours

Do you get paid by the hour / overtime?

Dude, it's your life. They think you're a summer hand so they're gonna give you the shittiest shifts with lame hours, that's just what it is (trust me on this). If you think that your plans outweigh your need for this job and you can find another one that is better for you then do it. However, if you need this money badly and you can't find another job then just stick with it and try to soldier through.

-Inversion

If you need the money, I say stick with it.

If you have another job lined up, I say leave. Being unhappy in your workplace if it's not full time with benefits is not worth it, in my opinion.

Honestly I think you should weigh how much a summer job is worth having. Finding another job now after starting this one wont do much help; Since summer is almost gone (2 months till classes start at my University) & finding a job is hard due to economical hard times. Also no one can force you to o overtime. That would fall under work labor regulations.