Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

Alright bros, took in 2500 cals then I went and worked out. I have an app where I count my calories and it measures exercise too, so I just put in weight lifting and pick the "heavy" one bc I lifted heavy and it says I burned 850 some calories an hour and I went an hour 15 so I burnt about 1000 cals according to my app.

My question is - Is that good, bad, terrible, dumb, stupid, whatever you guys wanna say lol.

Took in 2500 and burned 1000, Im trying to lose weight too. And I might not have burned 1000 thats just what my app claims that 1 hour and 15 mins of working out says.

Thoughts??

Alright bros, took in 2500 cals then I went and worked out. I have an app where I count my calories and it measures exercise too, so I just put in weight lifting and pick the "heavy" one bc I lifted heavy and it says I burned 850 some calories an hour and I went an hour 15 so I burnt about 1000 cals according to my app.

My question is - Is that good, bad, terrible, dumb, stupid, whatever you guys wanna say lol.

Took in 2500 and burned 1000, Im trying to lose weight too. And I might not have burned 1000 thats just what my app claims that 1 hour and 15 mins of working out says.

Thoughts??

I highly doubt its even possible to burn that many calories nomatter what you do. Maybe you'd burn that much if did nothing but rest pausing 500 pound squats for a half an hour. Some of the numbers those apps come up with seem like they just pulled them randomly out of their ass. Calories burned from exercising are VASTLY overestimated imo.

Heavy lifting isnt there to make you lose weight but to make your cut give you a more favorable result (i.e hold on to muscle).

I highly doubt its even possible to burn that many calories nomatter what you do. Maybe you'd burn that much if did nothing but rest pausing 500 pound squats for a half an hour. Some of the numbers those apps come up with seem like they just pulled them randomly out of their ass. Calories burned from exercising are VASTLY overestimated imo.

Heavy lifting isnt there to make you lose weight but to make your cut give you a more favorable result (i.e hold on to muscle).

Yeah thats why I thought it was odd, I just clicked on how long I did it and it gave me that

Those are usually the main, important lifts. What are you doing instead?

pretty much everything else lol. Mostly machines the only free weights I use is for bis and tris.

pretty much everything else lol. Mostly machines the only free weights I use is for bis and tris.

Doesnt sound like you are doing a set routine. Everything will work for a little while but especially a routine with 0 compound movements will have you spinning your wheels very quickly.

Machines are also generally speaking inferior to free weights so unless you are unable to for example deadlift because of a lower back injury you should be ALWAYS doing squat/deadlift/bench/op.

You asked "where you should squeeze them in" which is the wrong way to look at it. You could chuck everything you are doing right now and replace it with only squat/bench/deadlift/row/pullup/dips and make more rapid size and strength gains than you have ever before.

If you are advanced then yea you can use your own judgement, but I havent actually seen anyone get big and/or strong without also hoisting decent numbers in the big 3/4.

I'd suggest you post your routine so other people could look at and give you some suggestions.

Would definitely suggest swapping out machine exercises for the big 3 of squat, bench, and deadlift

Would definitely suggest swapping out machine exercises for the big 3 of squat, bench, and deadlift

definitely this.

and if you have bad wrist joints like grandpa proximity you can sub bench for dumbbell presses and do low weight/high repetitions on deadlift

Yea Ive been neglecting bench squats and deads just because I just recently actually started going to a gym. Before I was using just a pullup bar, weights at home and those perfect pushup things. I initially made some gains on the machines but now im plateuing which is a perfect time to start atleast squatting and doing deads since I already have a chest routine that I like. thanks guys.

I'm debating getting a power rack for home with a bench so I can do squats, deads and benches in my garage. Any recommendations on a good power rack on a budget?

If you're on a budget, just get an adjustable bench and squat rack. You already have the pullup bar. Or you could do what I did and get a workout tower as well (dips bars/pull up bars). I think total cost for me was about $600, which would be half that for you guys in the US.

just ordered 10lb of ON whey. i am ready to start making more gains. fuck the remaining 4-5 lbs i wanted to lose. 

bulking season in full effect!

also, posted this bout a month ago but never got a response, anyone have suggestions on how i can get the most out of this program

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 with dave tate's assistance work, curious what you guys think. Should I add/change anything up?

Day 1) I do OHP, then follow up with 3x10 DB bench, Lat pulldowns, and Tricep pushdowns.

Day 2) Deadlifts with 3x10 leg curls, leg press, and leg raises.

Day 3) Bench press, with 3x10 DB military, Face pulls, and Tricep pushdowns.

Day 4) Squats, with 3x10 leg curls, leg press, and leg raises.

I used to do 5x10, but I lowered the volume and I forget why cause that was a while back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

just ordered 10lb of ON whey. i am ready to start making more gains. fuck the remaining 4-5 lbs i wanted to lose. 

bulking season in full effect!

also, posted this bout a month ago but never got a response, anyone have suggestions on how i can get the most out of this program

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 with dave tate's assistance work, curious what you guys think. Should I add/change anything up?

Day 1) I do OHP, then follow up with 3x10 DB bench, Lat pulldowns, and Tricep pushdowns.

Day 2) Deadlifts with 3x10 leg curls, leg press, and leg raises.

Day 3) Bench press, with 3x10 DB military, Face pulls, and Tricep pushdowns.

Day 4) Squats, with 3x10 leg curls, leg press, and leg raises.

I used to do 5x10, but I lowered the volume and I forget why cause that was a while back.

Looks pretty good but why not do pullups instead of lat pulldowns?

only got like 5 or 6 hours of sleep, woke up and did homework.  

This is going to be a good day.  Gun do back later on.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks pretty good but why not do pullups instead of lat pulldowns?

Honestly, I can't do very many pullups lol. 

OMG idk what this thing is called but I will never do barbell squats again. Was doing 275 on barbell squats then my buddy I was working out with told me about this machine, you put the weights on it and you stand on a slanted board, and it rests on your shoulders and is padded. Literally the best invention ever, everytime I squat on barbells it destroys my back and wrists.... GG NO RE barbells

• Downvote (-1) 1

OMG idk what this thing is called but I will never do barbell squats again. Was doing 275 on barbell squats then my buddy I was working out with told me about this machine, you put the weights on it and you stand on a slanted board, and it rests on your shoulders and is padded. Literally the best invention ever, everytime I squat on barbells it destroys my back and wrists.... GG NO RE barbells

Thats because you're doing them wrong

its a hack squat, pretty beastly machine imo

tbh if you've just started squatting 275 is a fuck ton of weight, probably just doing too much. get that form right brah and your back will thank you for it

then go and do hack squats after just for kicks

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thats because you're doing them wrong

False, im talking about the bar sitting on the top of my back, shit hurts man.

its a hack squat, pretty beastly machine imo

tbh if you've just started squatting 275 is a fuck ton of weight, probably just doing too much. get that form right brah and your back will thank you for it

then go and do hack squats after just for kicks

Naw Ive always been a pretty solid squatter - played soccer my whole life so ive had huge quads/hammys. I got the form right its just the barbell sitting on the top of my back hurts like hell. It feels like its just sitting and grinding on the bone of my back right there. Hack squats will forever be my friend now

• Downvote (-1) 3

if you pinch your shoulders together it should have a resting place, either that or just something you need to get used to

Its your call, hack squats are a good exercise and the ideology in this place of squats or no gains isn't true but they are the best exercise, especially for consistent improvement

also lol at cardio making your legs stronger

• Upvote (+1) 1

if you pinch your shoulders together it should have a resting place, either that or just something you need to get used to

Its your call, hack squats are a good exercise and the ideology in this place of squats or no gains isn't true but they are the best exercise, especially for consistent improvement

also lol at cardio making your legs stronger

Ill stick with hack squats, and its not the cardio that makes your legs stronger its the kicking, lunges, squats we did while training. I rarely remember doing upper body except maybe shoulders or chest every now and then. All we ever did was train legs so my legs were/are huge.

Your back just needs to develop "callouses" where the bar goes. You get used to it. Suck it up. Hack squats are cool and all, but you won't work your glutes, hamstrings, stabilizers, and core nearly as much as you do with barbell squats.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly, I can't do very many pullups lol. 

Thought that might be it but  yea lat pulldowns are the obvious choice then..

False, im talking about the bar sitting on the top of my back, shit hurts man.

Naw Ive always been a pretty solid squatter - played soccer my whole life so ive had huge quads/hammys. I got the form right its just the barbell sitting on the top of my back hurts like hell. It feels like its just sitting and grinding on the bone of my back right there. Hack squats will forever be my friend now

I dont want to sound like a prick but I have not seen a single person in my gym that had "huge" legs without doing dedicated leg training.

Also why the hell would you start with 275? Unless you are gifted and/or have a good coach you should start off with something thats intentionally VERY low.

Thats how you build correct technique - by doing reps in a weight range where you have the weight under control.

I'm helping one of my friends train and his squatting sucked ass in the beginning and he wanted to quit because it was hard and it hurt.

About a month later he added 30 lbs to his squat and it looks pretty damn good for someone who had done it for only one month. And the pain was completly gone too.

Btw: Ronnie Coleman squatted 800 for a double.

Do you want to do what Ronnie Coleman did or do you want to hack squat instead?

Your back just needs to develop "callouses" where the bar goes. You get used to it. Suck it up. Hack squats are cool and all, but you won't work your glutes, hamstrings, stabilizers, and core nearly as much as you do with barbell squats.

He also might have the bar too high.