Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

I would suggest talking with a financial advisor about all this stuff.  Don't get me wrong, you can learn about it online just like we do with weightlifting but they know a lot more than us average joes (about finance stuff)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm personally all about fitness and sports. Crossfit all the way. I eat super healthy and cook 95 percent of my own meals. Restaurant foods, fast food chains, and junk foods should be severely limited if consumed at all. And I never use a microwave. 

I admonish everyone to learn to cook. Home cooked meals are healthier, taste better, plus the ladies love a man that can cook ;)

I am a college student and weigh 165 lbs. I played soccer all my life and used to way between 150-155 lbs. I am 5'9 and am going to start running at least 30 minutes a day + an ab workout. Could you give me any ideas for foods to eat? I am going to cut out fast food cold turkey and strictly drink only water/milk. I'm in a fraternity so I drink pretty much every Friday/Saturday but I'm gonna try to cut back on my beer consumption.

Any help would be great. I'm looking for quick healthy meals (I have a stove and oven) and healthy snacks.

THANKS A TON

I am a college student and weigh 165 lbs. I played soccer all my life and used to way between 150-155 lbs. I am 5'9 and am going to start running at least 30 minutes a day + an ab workout. Could you give me any ideas for foods to eat? I am going to cut out fast food cold turkey and strictly drink only water/milk. I'm in a fraternity so I drink pretty much every Friday/Saturday but I'm gonna try to cut back on my beer consumption.

Any help would be great. I'm looking for quick healthy meals (I have a stove and oven) and healthy snacks.

THANKS A TON

You should probably give us some more information. For example, do you want to lose weight, gain weight, maintain, bulk up, etc.

Either way, meat, eggs, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, vegetables, fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt.

You should probably give us some more information. For example, do you want to lose weight, gain weight, maintain, bulk up, etc.

Either way, meat, eggs, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, vegetables, fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt.

Wow I don't know why I completely left that out haha. I want to lose about 15 lbs and get more cut up. I don't want to be huge because I know I will never lift consistently (I've just never had the drive) but I could always run consistently and eat healthier. I'm curious as to what you all think is the best way to get back in shape quickly. Also, because I am in college I make my breakfast, lunch, and dinner pretty quickly as I'm normally on the go.

crossfit is the worse thing you can do for your joints

srs

come the fuck at me

There's "CrossFit," and then there's crossfit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wow I don't know why I completely left that out haha. I want to lose about 15 lbs and get more cut up. I don't want to be huge because I know I will never lift consistently (I've just never had the drive) but I could always run consistently and eat healthier. I'm curious as to what you all think is the best way to get back in shape quickly. Also, because I am in college I make my breakfast, lunch, and dinner pretty quickly as I'm normally on the go.

You aren't going to get huge if you don't lift consistently anyways lol.. It doesn't come over night.

i just ignore any posts about crossfit - the brand. it's better to pretend that silly discipline doesn't even exist. ignorance is bliss.

going in the gym today to get a pump going but because my wrist is kinda sore (tore ligaments, had surgery in feb) i gotta take it light. looking for some advice here...

do I lift legs with a focus on quads (hit hams later in the week) and then work core? or do i do resistance band training for my upper body (easier on the wrists), cardio, and core?

i'm leaving in half an hour. 

i just ignore any posts about crossfit - the brand. it's better to pretend that silly discipline doesn't even exist. ignorance is bliss.

going in the gym today to get a pump going but because my wrist is kinda sore (tore ligaments, had surgery in feb) i gotta take it light. looking for some advice here...

do I lift legs with a focus on quads (hit hams later in the week) and then work core? or do i do resistance band training for my upper body (easier on the wrists), cardio, and core?

i'm leaving in half an hour. 

I personally love resistance band training, I like to substitute that on my light lift days or days where Im not feeling optimal. It's up to you really, depending on how bad your wrists are you may not wanna stress them further so in that case just hit legs and let them heal more. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You aren't going to get huge if you don't lift consistently anyways lol.. It doesn't come over night.

That's exactly what I said. I don't want to get huge because I know I will never lift consistently and I don't really care to be big anyway.

This.

Here are some steps to get huge:

1. Have a workout plan with goals

2.  Eat like a monster, I cannot underestimate the need to eat a lot to grow.  I'm dead serious.

3.  Sleep a lot.

If you can follow those three, then you're golden.  It takes time to grow.  

The bolded answers your question.

Lifting doesn't get you huge, it's gets you where you want to be quicker and more effectively. If you don't want to be huge, relax your routine when you're satisfied, but don't dodge lifting weights.

That's exactly what I said. I don't want to get huge because I know I will never lift consistently and I don't really care to be big anyway.

Oddly worded sentence, misunderstood is all.

Anyways, if you want to lose weight then eat in a deficit. Getting in shape 'quickly' doesn't really exist as this stuff takes time unfortunately. Count your calories to make sure you eat in a deficit, only go 250-500 below maintenance. Beyond that, take up the advice the other guys give and you're good to go.

Eating fish/chicken is usually a bit better than red meats, your beef, your pork (yes bacon is bad). Soda is just bad. If you can cut out soda it helps a lot.

Good snacks are like granola bars, fruit, just the less plastic food is wrapped in usually the better it is. Try to avoid chips, or if you eat chips eat like blue corn tortilla chips instead of like your potato chips. Bananas are awesome. A lot of people like protein shakes, but you can make a quick smoothie. It's just vanilla yogurt and whatever fruit you like in a blender.

George foreman grills are like 16bucks at walmart and make a great panini press. Just take bread, lunch meat a slice of cheese throw it in there bam panini.

If you just bake chicken or fish just cook some pasta and it might not be the healthiest sauce but cooking sherry and butter and some garlic is great.

Fast food is definitely really bad for you but restaurant food especially chain restaurants like your chili's your applebees your friday's are really greasy and high in fat. The more meals you make yourself the better off you will be. Hope this helps a little. Keep up the good work. :)

Uh...I'm sorry, but this is not very good advice. "Bacon is bad" *citation needed.

High in fat? Better avoid it like the plague. You instead listed off a bunch of high-carb snacks that will probably leave people wanting more (I would).

I agree with you on the chips though. Definitely go for the unnatural colors - they must be healthier.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

my dad just picked me up a 4.4 lb tub of kazien whey isolate. 35g of brotein per serving and mixes so nicely. come at me bros time to make sum gainz

People always talk about taking their protein shakes post workout.....but any advantage/disadvantage to drinking it during your workout?

Can anyone just give me a list of healthy snacks/foods that would be good to eat as a college student?

Please. I'm definitely gonna be running and doing ab workouts and I'm considering lifting with my friends but nothing to heavy (just want to be fit). Any help would be appreciated. I know most of you want to compare how much you can lift and what protein/shakes to take but there has to be someone that can help me.

Thanks.