Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

Also I've been lifting for 5ish years now with the last two being more consistent. Long story short I have scoliosis and have opted to do front squats instead of back squats, but I feel like I am insanely weak with only ever maxing at 170. What gives? I know I need to make more effort on lower body stuff. I have good calf genes and those have always stood out on my legs but my quads and hams are weaker than a 7th grade anorexic girl. I want to make more of an effort on raw strength with squats and deadlifts and Idgaf about leg size other than I don't want chicken legs. Halp

Edit: I always have put form first and making sure I try to do lifts right. Ass to the grass mayne

I had scoliosis correction surgery (so the fused spine and rods, pins, ect). I do back squats to parallel but I struggle to increase my weight and I don't know if it's because of that or not. Maybe I should pick up front squatting.

I really enjoy the front squat. It's a pain at first to get the form down correctly but I definitely don't feel any back pain or pressure from too much weight. I feel like I should back squat but I don't want to risk anything.

I think I may just buy starting strength or practical programming and start from there. I'm still at a loss as to what I should do.

Other question, I'm still fat from before but I'm dropping fat at good rate without getting weak, should I still try to up how much weight in increasing from week to week or should I just chill where I'm at until I'm done with the fatloss?

no no no fuck practical programming, get justin's book, i wouldn't rec. ohp/bench same day unless you're doing 1 bb 1 db and the latter for light weight high volume

XFACTOR MY BRO get on the boat before we leave the harbor, this is your chance bro

Trying to decide what to do sucks especially since I'll only have 3 days to do any actual lifting, that's life I guess.

Cats & boats for days, cats & boats is life

Matty boy! I got a new time for ya!

500m: 2:00

I was too winded from my workout to do anything more, and I almost curled over and died doing the 500.

nice yo making that progress

got a 46:17 10k yesterday it really sucked to continue on to 60 mins after that (at a much reduced pace) ended up at 12699m

i didn't have it either bro, this is my first time ever doing cardio pretty much

3 weeks ago started at 2k then 4k then 6k etc w/ the speed decreasing to make it manageable, now i'm here

Focus on good pulls and not on how  fast you can pull, pace yourself and you will find yourself  rekt'ing your previous times. Learned that the hard way. The  better you pace yourself  (combined with good pulls)the more it's going to pay off big time in the long run with longer rows(1k or 5k or even more)

I feel like my pulls are pretty good, and what you say about pace is true, I went hard for the 500m and just burnt out (partially cause it was at the end of my workout). This cats and boats deal is the real deal

Yea I have a problem of losing power when I increase my stroke rate, which I know will hurt me in the long run, but people recommend low rate for longer stuff and that practicing the low rate longer stuff will end up helping the sprints too.  So I guess I'll figure it out later.

Do you still row Vortex?  What were your PRs?

I do, normally I dont go over 1k...maybe 5k once or twice every so often.(depends on w.e the coach says and I've been doing crossfit for about a year with almost no experience on high intensity workouts before)

250m -> 50 seconds (approx more or less)

500m -> Best Time I had was(after a workout) around 1:40.

1000m -> I forgot my PR' but I havent rowed 5k in quite some time, I'll try again today and see, hopefully it's sub 3:30 mins.

Ohhh yeah crossfit dudes seem to like rowing

You should hop on our team bro

If you want, I'll add your 1k from today :o

Anydone do indoor rock climbing/bouldering? Been doing it around 6 months and my grip strength is beast. Can do around 22 pull ups now since getting a pull up bar last month.

Running, climbing, meditation the only drugs I need.

Update : 500m Row in 1:39 at good pace , 1000m row at 325 at a bit slower pace than 500m. Had to go easier since I had to do 14.1 after it Q_Q

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah been inching my way down from well into the 4's, I always set the paceboat for 0.5 seconds per 500 split faster than my PR but then (so far) I always get a burst of energy as soon as I see it tick down to 99m remaining and I just unleash all my energy in the final double digit sprint and end up getting an extra second or two at least lol.  like 550m-100m remaining feels like my lungs are gonna explode and then it's like phew I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I know I can go wild