Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

forever small weak natty

Everything in life is relative. You're probably stronger than 98% of the world and yet you compare yourself to the absolute top. I do the same shit with everything.

who wants to join my indoor rowing e-team

rules:

1. try to PR on the rowing machine once in a while either post-lifting or on its own session if you really like it lol

2. you have to like cats

3. thats it idk enjoy your soon-to-be-beast cardio

who wants to join my indoor rowing e-team

rules:

1. try to PR on the rowing machine once in a while either post-lifting or on its own session if you really like it lol

2. you have to like cats

3. thats it idk enjoy your soon-to-be-beast cardio

I'm down, sound like fun haha. Random question, has anyone had front hip flexor soreness after doing farmer carries? I did some yesterday (235 for 100 yds) which is my first real effort and now today my hips are sore. Guess that's what happens when I'm incredibly inflexible haha.

word

go try out one or more of these categories and i will add you to the spreadsheet

500m 1k 2k 5k 6k 30 min 10k 60 min

I'm down, sound like fun haha. Random question, has anyone had front hip flexor soreness after doing farmer carries? I did some yesterday (235 for 100 yds) which is my first real effort and now today my hips are sore. Guess that's what happens when I'm incredibly inflexible haha.

Where you leaning forward while  walking?  That tends to happen frequently(even if you are flexible).

I was trying to be as straight as possible, but I probably was leaning forward a bit. Gotta loosen up those flexors and psoas haha

@ Matt I'll prob do 500m, 1k, 2k, at the same time and just check intervals. I'll do it today after my arm workout so it might not be so great haha

cool. assuming you have a concept 2?  those are great because they are all 100% comparable regardless of model etc and they're what's in like 99% of gyms.  unlike stationary bikes and whatnot which have a variety of wacky formulas that aren't consistent.  it's cool to compare times w/ friends and internet rankings etc

yall should hop on this, rowing is the GOAT cardio

Yeah the gym I go to has like 6 of the concept 2.

So my times are

500m 2:18

1k 4:35

2k 9:20

Idk of these are good or not, considering it was only like my third time rowing and this being the first with actual goals I consider it a success! It was actually pretty fun and I hate cardio haha, I think I may have found my cardio source for the rest of forever :)

the only good time is the one that is faster than your previous attempt  B)

me and my buds are just starting out too, trying to really get my cardio to the next level because it has always sucked and never gave it the attention it required, really want a fuckin bulletproof unquestionable aerobic foundation to pull from when the training gets hard

welcome to the PR spreadsheet of "cats & boats" future GOAT indoor rowing crew

this is our logo  http://i.imgur.com/urbiyHH.png

I'm actually kinda stoked about this rowing team haha, Best logo ever btw!

Comments preference on pre-workouts, with stim or stim free, recommendations theories and reasoning? 1, 2, 3, Go!

I've always kinda have been on and off with pre-workouts, and I'm kinda wanting to go stim free and make more emphasis on a good meal 1-2hours before lifting, but I'm not sure what's good for stim free stuff.

Stretch stretch stretch, I cant stress that enough. You can def  use suplements if you want but you can get out more of balanced meals(veggies/carbs/protein).

But seriously...stretching is  goat.

well you def can't get anything resembling the effects of stims from veggies/carbs/protein :P  (idk how stretching is related to preworkout drinks though, was that an unrelated thought?)

but some would say it's better in the long run to get used to training exclusively w/out stims and whatnot so if needed, you can make a nice jump in performance when peaking for a particularly important session, or a day when you REALLY need the boost for an unusual reason

i think it's up to you to manage it based on results

in terms of cardio tho, i wouldn't fuck with a bunch of caffeine or anything similar if doing anything more intense than LISS.  seems to be counterproductive unless you really know your body well and can fine tune it.  by all means load yourself up w/ anything legally available for maxing out or going for a big PR though imo.  smelling salts / ammonia caps are king before you drift into the illegal side of things, and caffeine always works wonders

Pretty sure vortex was talking about my tights hips and what not.

I'm definitely not planning on doing anything crazy and I've always been careful with dosing and the pre-workouts. Do you guys have any recommendations on stim free stuff though? (Brands or specific ingredients to look for?)

Also I've been lifting for 5ish years now with the last two being more consistent. Long story short I have scoliosis and have opted to do front squats instead of back squats, but I feel like I am insanely weak with only ever maxing at 170. What gives? I know I need to make more effort on lower body stuff. I have good calf genes and those have always stood out on my legs but my quads and hams are weaker than a 7th grade anorexic girl. I want to make more of an effort on raw strength with squats and deadlifts and Idgaf about leg size other than I don't want chicken legs. Halp

Edit: I always have put form first and making sure I try to do lifts right. Ass to the grass mayne

oh right lol i skimmed past those posts

I just drink normal energy drinks tbh I'm gonna look into cyclic dextrin and all this other bullshit people say its amazing during workouts some time in the future

re: leg strength, squat 3x/week

Good protocol for squat would be what, 3x5 3x a week?

And let me know about your research haha

With the new school year coming up I'll be able to lift pretty much 3 days only, with about 90min a session. My primary goals till the end of the year are upping strength first and foremost, and whatever size comes with it is welcome. Should I try doing a split or doing a full body workout?

texas method style programming is prob what i'd go to.  i'd do full body workouts based on that info^

i've personally never put in the time or effort to properly learn the squat (avg was literally 1x/week in 2014, tho i took that to 420 high bar back squat, and this year like...2x/year? welp) BUT based on everything i know and have seen, i would def do and recommend texas method style programming to people because it seems to work all the way through to olympic level athletes (specifically, pendlay still uses it with his national level olympic hopefuls afaik, or at least did until a few years ago)

other stuff could be mixed in between like pause squat only periods etc, pause squat is really good and under-utilized probably (dont think i'd tell people to worry about it before the mid 300's but it's something to think about at some point perhaps)

Sweet, I'll definitely check it out. Any specific source or just google?

Last thing for today, any recommendations on grip strength other than thick bar training? (I do have fat gripz)

- Yes , stretch before workouts (especially if you feel super right)

- Before the workouts I usually eat some fruit with high in carbs so I can use them right away working out

- For  squats , I would recommend either a 5x5  or a  6x4 3 times a week(starting with 65-70% of your 1 rep max and then increasing every week if you feel ok with it), doing more than 3 days will probably harm your other workouts as your legs will probably get 0 rest and it will defeat the purpose of getting more str on them.

- After every workout,  stretch/roll/voodoo band those quads and hamstrings, your body will appreciate it.

I'm liking the looks of the Texas method for squats. I think I'll end up modifying and going more full body to have more fun haha

Edit: so below I'm pasting some programming that I'm thinking about. I'm afraid it's gonna be too much volume to sustain and take too much time (maybe do 3x5 instead?) what are your recommendations? This is based off of Texas method.

Monday- Volume (90% of Friday) (5x5)

Wednesday - rest(80-90% of Monday) (3x5)

Friday- warm ups to PR (1x5)

Monday- 5x5

Squats

Overhead press

Deadlift

Bench

Bent over row

2x6 of curls and tricep extensions 

Rowing (cats & boats)

Wed - 80-90% of Monday 3x5

Squats

Overhead

Bench

Pull ups 3xbw

Mild ab work

Rowing (cats & boats)

Friday - warm ups to 1x5 PR

Squats

Overhead press

Deadlift

Bench

Bent over row

2x6 curls and tricep

Rowing (cats & boats)

I tried Texas method shit was hard as fuck for squats i couldn't do it I went back to madcow. Id give a better answer but I'm hammered

does TM really have ohp and bench same day wtf

i only really remember the squat protocol because of pendlay explaining how his lifters sandbagged their wednesday workouts secretly because monday volume was rough but then he realized he should have just had them do that intentionally because it works better then blast out a sick PR friday lol

read the book if youre gonna do it though i think making proper decisions about what weights to use probably makes or breaks it, google for justin's thing

Nah it doesn't have ohp and bench on same day, I was toying with the idea of doing both but I think I'm gonna take it down a notch and remember that I'm not the hulk. The book is practical programming right?