Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

hmm goblets are legit so those are too perhaps but personally I'm not sure if I see the incentive to do those lifts over other variants in the case of squatting unless you're aiming for direct carryover to kettlebell sport lifts

heaviest kettlebells in my gym are 24kg i think so it's kinda sketchy to do any squat work with that unless you're blasting out 100's of reps per workout

btw single leg work is gonna be my jam next few months, fix all these awful imbalances

hmm goblets are legit so those are too perhaps but personally I'm not sure if I see the incentive to do those lifts over other variants in the case of squatting unless you're aiming for direct carryover to kettlebell sport lifts

heaviest kettlebells in my gym are 24kg i think so it's kinda sketchy to do any squat work with that unless you're blasting out 100's of reps per workout

btw single leg work is gonna be my jam next few months, fix all these awful imbalances

I have no squat rack or leg press so please help. I've lost all muscle in my ass its embarassing

do my patented LazyLegDay

leg ext + leg curl + abductors + adductors

if this doesn't work add in random bikini/figure girl booty metagame from instagram as finisher 

• Upvote (+1) 1

also i havent done a calf raise in like 10 months but i feel like my calves actually look BETTER now, from doing nothing at all

calves are weird

do my patented LazyLegDay

leg ext + leg curl + abductors + adductors

if this doesn't work add in random bikini/figure girl booty metagame from instagram as finisher 

I do ext and curl but dont have abductor machines. I do step ups, box jumps, bodyweight squats and from a previous post of urs I do duckwalks. 

Yea do lots of like walking lunges and bullshit like that if youre equipment limited, fatigue builds up in legs pretty hardcore for me so the training effect of random "easy" bodyweight stuff is pretty great after the first few exercises

I don't think I ever felt a benefit from box jumps but bodyweight squats get pretty real to full depth if you don't lockout 

Hope everyone is well, I have been running Madcow 5x5 for a while now and have made some nice progress on it. Recently cut for 12 weeks at a 500 cal deficit 40c/40p/20f and barely lost any strength, so I have decided on my next bulk to add a few exercises that will hit my weakpoints. 

cut_zpszklblq5h.jpg

10421468_10153079319633422_7346561417687

11229427_10153079320308422_7974363417302

10346961_10153092598683422_176257564_n_z

I'm planning on doing pullups and increasing the weight with my belt, more bicep work, some upper chest exercises and some hamstring work . 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Madcow was my life for like 2 years I loved it but it definitely needs some small additions depending on what your looking for

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another issue I've had with no squats and deads is lower back pain. It's also probably due office chairs but I need to do some lower back exercises I guess

Hope everyone is well, I have been running Madcow 5x5 for a while now and have made some nice progress on it. Recently cut for 12 weeks at a 500 cal deficit 40c/40p/20f and barely lost any strength, so I have decided on my next bulk to add a few exercises that will hit my weakpoints. 

cut_zpszklblq5h.jpg

10421468_10153079319633422_7346561417687

11229427_10153079320308422_7974363417302

10346961_10153092598683422_176257564_n_z

I'm planning on doing pullups and increasing the weight with my belt, more bicep work, some upper chest exercises and some hamstring work . 

Grats friend, you never added in your weight over that period, care to share the fluctuation?

Grats friend, you never added in your weight over that period, care to share the fluctuation?

It's in the bottom right of the first pic. The following pics were taken like a week after and 1lb less 

I think I lost like 7lb in the first week and a half due to water weight etc. Then following that it was a steady 1-1/5lb a week. 

at some point in my life I'm actually going to have to cut for the first time, and I'm not looking forward to it

I wasn't looking forward to it man but it's worth it. It doesn't take long and I'm going to enjoy a sweet lean bulk afterwards.

Matt those lunges did it for me my glutes hurt like hell

I cut for the first time this year. It was awful at first but then I started to realize that I'm not competing why do I care to squat/deadlift such heavy weight. Just better to look good

I do regret not making the 1000 lb club I was pretty close. Should have at least tried for it while I was heavier

I have sunburn right where the bar rests on my back for squats. ;_;

Not looking forward to tomorrow.

"Leg extension machine kills your knees" has been a thing forever

I can't say I agree with it ***IF*** used properly, in other words ALWAYS keep the weight relatively light.  Even a true 20RM is heavier than you need, I think. Here's one protocol from a pair of world champion athletes, use only as a finisher at the end of your leg day:

"30 to 40% of your strength, 10 sets of 6 reps (with perfect form) and 2 seconds of rest in between the sets. Do it all for 3 times."

So essentially a super light 3x60, but resetting the tension 10 times per set.  I haven't tried this out yet.

There's also the FST-7 method and similar.

Personally right now I'm doing 4x20 linear progression on leg ext, and focusing on powerful contractions up to where the tension point fades.  That's probably the heaviest I would ever go at this point.  I'd even say perhaps even go higher volume (and thus lower weight) after stalling.  NEVER fully lock a rep out, IMO.  This probably goes for leg press too.  Squats are okay only because of the full body support of the weight, but I wouldn't be surprised if no-lockout sets of squats are better if your goal is not strictly powerlifting.

On this subject, I've been doing finishers for curls and tricep extensions lately where I drop the weight a TON and have long pauses at about 90% through the ROM, and then pause again around 10%, and don't "finish" any reps.  You really feel the squeeze when you eliminate the slight rest at the absolute top/bottom of a movement.

Guys for cardio what should I do elliptical, treadmill, or stationary bike? Or just rotate between them? I'm trying to improve my stamina which is pathetic

if youre not building specificity, personal preference is the winner because you'll push yourself harder on the one you feel the best about and have more fun with

if youre not building specificity, personal preference is the winner because you'll push yourself harder on the one you feel the best about and have more fun with

I ended up trying this spin bike. Couldnt figure out how to increase the resistance and wasted 10 minutes. Then went to a regular stationary bike and had success. The burn was real