Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

Probably not going to be able to hit the gym much this summer. Do you guys know of some at home workouts that I could do to build muscle. Currently skinny trying to gain some weight. I started eating 2 peanut butter sandwiches daily and start creatine next week.

Probably not going to be able to hit the gym much this summer. Do you guys know of some at home workouts that I could do to build muscle. Currently skinny trying to gain some weight. I started eating 2 peanut butter sandwiches daily and start creatine next week.

You're gonna have a hard time if all you eat are 2 PB sandwiches each day. 

And RIP to you - once you do creatine, there's no going back. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're gonna have a hard time if all you eat are 2 PB sandwiches each day. 

And RIP to you - once you do creatine, there's no going back. 

The peanut butter sandwiches are mixed in with my regular carb load diet.

Also creatine is bad?

I took creatine in high school it definitely works but it puts you at the mercy of needing access to water 24/7 which sucks

I took creatine in high school it definitely works but it puts you at the mercy of needing access to water 24/7 which sucks

don't listen to this guy

im currently homeless and begging for money to fund my terrible creatine addiction

Also creatine is bad?

creatine is like one of the most mild and overrated substances you can take, generally doesn't do all that much, very very very tiny icing on top of the cake if you're really looking to optimize your performance, and this general lack of power + casuals thinking it's an "extreme" substance led to it becoming an internet meme (this is what duki was referencing)

seems like most guys I talk to these days don't even bother with it because it matters so little that they'd rather spend the money elsewhere on something that will make a bigger difference, or health-related supplements

Would rather buy more food for meals than creatine honestly. Also if you're taking a PWO most of them already have creatine in them anyways.

So i bought a dumbbell and ive been going hard with it everyday for about 2 weeks now. Would it be better if i worked out with it everyday? or every other day?

especially regarding it's estrogen content

read some interesting science related to this

"We must, however, not be led into thinking that estrogen serves no benefit. It is actually a desirable hormone in many regards. It appears that reasons go beyond the simple size, weight, and strength increases that one would attribute to estrogen-related water retention, with this hormone actually having a direct effect on the process of anabolism. This is manifest through increases in glucose utilization, growth hormone secretion,and androgen receptor proliferation."

tldr:

• "Estrogen may play a very important role in the promotion of an anabolic state by affecting glucose utilization in muscle tissue."
  • "Estrogen may also play an important role in the production of growth hormone and IGF-1."
  • "It has also been demonstrated that estrogen can increase the concentration of androgen receptors in certain tissues."
  • "...its ability to promote wakefulness and a mentally alert state...The reason is that estrogen plays an important supporting role in the activity of serotonin. "
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So i bought a dumbbell and ive been going hard with it everyday for about 2 weeks now. Would it be better if i worked out with it everyday? or every other day?

uh if you're just doing random stuff for exercise with 1 dumbbell you could do it every day, if you want to build muscle you'd want more rest tho

uh if you're just doing random stuff for exercise with 1 dumbbell you could do it every day, if you want to build muscle you'd want more rest tho

Well id like to build muscle, I can already tell a difference. But with no ride to get to the gym this is all i have right now.

yea I mean you just aren't really gonna do much with one dumbbell lol, I guess best case scenario would be a pair of adjustable dumbbells that goes up to 120 lbs, you could do a lot with that I guess

Idk I'm always on team "save up your money and get to a place that has the equipment that helps you reach your goal" 

whats your life situation like that you can't make it to a gym?  can you save up for a bike or something?  convince a friend to start going to the gym and pay for gas if he picks you up?

Yeah it seems like the estrogen levels and the negative effects for men are a bit overplayed in terms of soy/edamame. I appreciate all the info.

As for working out with 1 dumbbell, you're going to plateau really quickly so I'd begin figuring out a way to get somewhere with more equipment. I remember back in HS people talked about creatine like it was a roid and others said it filled your muscles with water thus making them look bigger

ayy fellas, been a while.

after graduating i've decided to stop being a lazy fuck started seriously dieting & training again. i'm doing a p/p/l routine, but i'm not sure if i'm going to stick with it or hop on a strength routine since i've lost all my gains i made last year. i'll be cutting for a while, so the p/p/l frequency & volume might be a bit much. never again will i take a break from training for that long. hit 165.8 lb this morning, think i'll continue cutting for another 15-20lb before i start bulking again. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Got past the week or so of praticing form and learning how to do everything safely. I keep breaking my diet once or twice a week still, especially when I'm with friends on their cheat days.

iifym is your friend mountain

unless you mean going over a couple of times a week, which is gonna do basically nothing anyway

• Upvote (+1) 2

the harder you work, the more you can fuck up your diet frequently and not have it really affect much (unless youre aiming for a legit pro caliber physique)

Right now I'm just focusing on cutting weight and then worry about physique

I'm going to the gym about 4 to 5 times a week along with a good amount of activity at work. I'm not too worried about it, but it still doesn't feel great.

It's not going over, but eating stuff I shouldn't be eating. Like I ate 5 slices of bacon wrapped deep dish with my friend on his cheat day when I shouldn't of

well I mean you're cutting weight to improve your physique right, that's all I meant by that lol

I've just noticed that as people progress to harder and harder training programs, they can eat progressively "worse" w/out noticing any problems

eg eat cereal and ice cream every day and look ripped while you're busting your ass, but mr. 75 lbs deadlift eats the same thing every day and gets fat as hell

I think people worry way too much about how strict they are, rather than full package

well I mean you're cutting weight to improve your physique right, that's all I meant by that lol

I've just noticed that as people progress to harder and harder training programs, they can eat progressively "worse" w/out noticing any problems

eg eat cereal and ice cream every day and look ripped while you're busting your ass, but mr. 75 lbs deadlift eats the same thing every day and gets fat as hell

I think people worry way too much about how strict they are, rather than full package

**Currently eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream, mom's homemade banana bread, and whipped cream**

Preach it, maestro, but why does my bench still suck?

• Upvote (+1) 2

**Currently eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream, mom's homemade banana bread, and whipped cream**

being a casual gamer is catabolic

too much real life in this post, i thought when i gave up eating 'clean' my bench would skyrocket. its a cruel world