Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

not as much as a decade ago and at least they get tested regularly, doping control in almost every other sport borders on non-existant

off season bro, offseason.....

It's worse over here, jitts. We have 24/7 gyms everywhere, and not only do they not have squat racks, they don't have a bench or barbells, as they are all liabilities. All they have is some free weights, smith machines (plus some other useless machines) and treadmills. That's part of the reason why I started building my home gym.

Find a local college/university and ask if you can set up a membership plan. I've never been to a college gym that doesn't have a squat/power rack, and the hours are usually pretty decent. I'm not positive, but I'd bet that you'd be able to set something up where you could pay by the month.

good news, im back into the swing of things.  other great news, i now have the money to get a camcorder and start recording videos if you guys want me to do that.  first thing though, find me a cheap but reliable camcorder and i'll give you a shoutout just for you helping me find a camcorder.

other great news, im about to go on a cycle, if you know what i mean.........

other great news, im done with alcohol forever....fuck that shit.

good news all around fellas

• Upvote (+1) 4

Good to hear jit :) post some before and after pics.

Glad to hear you sound more optimistic about exercising again

What will you will be talking about in your videos?

Anything and everything in between.  I'll take suggestions from you guys.

I plan on making them super short videos.  

First, I need a suggestion for a cheap camcorder.  

brb researchin

Anything and everything in between.  I'll take suggestions from you guys.

I plan on making them super short videos.  

First, I need a suggestion for a cheap camcorder.  

brb researchin

you could get one of those 2 in 1 digital cameras that you can take pics and videos with. not sure what your budget is though. i'd assume you could get one of those for less than 200.

• Upvote (+1) 1

calf raises. Explosive high intensity movements or slow steady controlled movements? my calves are pretty shredded right now but they WILL not grow. 

calf raises. Explosive high intensity movements or slow steady controlled movements? my calves are pretty shredded right now but they WILL not grow. 

I've got shitty calves as well. I've tried everything from doing 100-150 reps with light weight, to going heavy with reps between 10-30. I even do sprints and incline treadmill walks 1-2 times a week. I've seen chickens with better legs than me..... :( Everything else on me is growing nicely, just not my calves......

I've got shitty calves as well. I've tried everything from doing 100-150 reps with light weight, to going heavy with reps between 10-30. I even do sprints and incline treadmill walks 1-2 times a week. I've seen chickens with better legs than me..... :( Everything else on me is growing nicely, just not my calves......

right? don't want to blame genetics, but I realize it does play a part. I've had success hitting my calves from all angles by changing my stance but I think calves are super dependant on form. in any case just gotta hit em hard I guess. 

Arnold did calves like 5 times a week.  They are one of the most stubborn muscles to get growing.

You got hit and hit 'em often.

Just like your gf/wifey....I kid, I kid

right? don't want to blame genetics, but I realize it does play a part. I've had success hitting my calves from all angles by changing my stance but I think calves are super dependant on form. in any case just gotta hit em hard I guess. 

I think genetics do play a pretty solid role, for example - When I started lifting I was about 5'11 55kgs (I think is about 120lbs). I put on about 20kgs (now 75kgs or 165lbs, I think?) in 3 years and look like a normal guy. I don't think anyone would know I lifted unless I told them. But I have a mate at work who just started lifting (starting weight was 76kgs and is now about 83-84kgs after about 7 months and everyone thinks he is huge!

Arnold did calves like 5 times a week.  They are one of the most stubborn muscles to get growing.

You got hit and hit 'em often.

Just like your gf/wifey....I kid, I kid

Geeezus, I can only get to the gym (and by gym I mean the spare room in my house :)) about 3 times / week due to my hectic life. Maybe I should put some weights in a backpack and just walk around on my toes everywhere, haha!

Geeezus, I can only get to the gym (and by gym I mean the spare room in my house :)) about 3 times / week due to my hectic life. Maybe I should put some weights in a backpack and just walk around on my toes everywhere, haha!

Yeah why do you think girls who wear heels a lot have nice calves. Hitting that shit hard and often

I need to put on mass in my chest. Currently I just do dumbbell bench and flyes for chest

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah why do you think girls who wear heels a lot have nice calves. Hitting that shit hard and often

I need to put on mass in my chest. Currently I just do dumbbell bench and flyes for chest

Keep doing that.  I find that I put on more mass with dumbbell bench than I do with barbell bench.  

I feel like barbell bench is more for showing off your true power but if you have great form, it can be great for putting on some mass.

I think genetics do play a pretty solid role, for example - When I started lifting I was about 5'11 55kgs (I think is about 120lbs). I put on about 20kgs (now 75kgs or 165lbs, I think?) in 3 years and look like a normal guy. I don't think anyone would know I lifted unless I told them. But I have a mate at work who just started lifting (starting weight was 76kgs and is now about 83-84kgs after about 7 months and everyone thinks he is huge!

Wow you were skin and bones :o good job with putting on 20kgs. I started at 110 and im up to 125 but im only 5'4, although in pics you would never tell because I got blessed with an athletic build. Don't really know how much more mass I want to put on probably just 10 pounds cause at the end of the day functionality > aesthetics > size imo.

EDIT: Not enough people showin off their gains. Interested in seeing peoples progress, routines, pics... nohomo.

post-2534-0-15900700-1379393490.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't done calf raises in a year and a half. They look pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

I'll try to get pics up soon. I think that I've been unknowingly/unintentionally training more on aesthetics than pure strength for awhile. I'm pretty happy with how I look at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I messed up my highly anabolic diet (mostly lean beef, shakes, etc) with going to a chitty all you can eat chinese buffet.  It was soo fucking bad.

I worked 11.5 hours and was fuarkin hungry.  Shoulda held out.

fml 

dat feel when you might not (and probably won't) make it

dem feels brahs, dem feels

I messed up my highly anabolic diet (mostly lean beef, shakes, etc) with going to a chitty all you can eat chinese buffet.  It was soo fucking bad.

I worked 11.5 hours and was fuarkin hungry.  Shoulda held out.

fml 

dat feel when you might not (and probably won't) make it

dem feels brahs, dem feels

usually when i eat shit it motivates me more in the gym if im lacking motivation lol. with that being said I ate a jumbo toblerone yesterday all by myself and had no shame. fuck me right? tryina get shredded up in this bitch :'(

• Upvote (+1) 1

You guys are being too hard on yourselves. 

Maybe so but we all have dreams and it requires us to be our own harshest critics.

Anyway, I'm doing some late night homework.  

Then back up at 6am for the grind.

ugh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't get me wrong, I'm the same way with myself. Often, I'm way too strict. Trust me. But I've also realized that I can allow myself more leeway with my diet and drink once a week or so and still achieve my goals. I've increased my average daily caloric intake by probably 300 calories over the last month or so, and been a little looser with my diet, and I've essentially stayed at the same weight and not lost weight room progress.