Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

Got my deadlifting form fixed. Started using a thicker bar with deeper grip marks and switched to mixed grip. Went from barely being able to do 3 reps at 210 to doing 8 reps. I probably could have done more, but the bar was scraping my shin up real bad. Had lots of blood coming from the scrape. Oh well, incoming strength gainssssss.

That scary moment when your foot cramps up during your heavy set of squats....

damn, gotta get dat bloodflow doe.  

And crossfit is ok to a certain extent but it really is like a cult, srs.  

There's CrossFit, and then there's "crossfit." CrossFit is the corporate brand that you normally think of when you hear the name. Typically, you'll also think of the word "bro" right afterward. "Crossfit" has become a more general term for incorporating weightlifting as part of a well-balanced fitness lifestyle. Many gyms also brand themselves as "crossfit" in order to take advantage of the marketing wave, but they never actually officially certify themselves with CrossFit. 

My two cents.

There's CrossFit, and then there's "crossfit." CrossFit is the corporate brand that you normally think of when you hear the name. Typically, you'll also think of the word "bro" right afterward. "Crossfit" has become a more general term for incorporating weightlifting as part of a well-balanced fitness lifestyle. Many gyms also brand themselves as "crossfit" in order to take advantage of the marketing wave, but they never actually officially certify themselves with CrossFit. 

My two cents.

Amen, brother. ;) Couldn't have said it better.

Sick of my old gym since it closes at 10 and I hate worrying about making it on time after a long day of work.

And I wake up at 6am and it literally (literally) takes an hour to get to work.  So I can't do mornings either.

I have been slacking so hard for the past two weeks.  

Sick of my old gym since it closes at 10 and I hate worrying about making it on time after a long day of work.

And I wake up at 6am and it literally (literally) takes an hour to get to work.  So I can't do mornings either.

I have been slacking so hard for the past two weeks.  

Why don't you buy some cheap equipment and do some stuff at home (provided you have the room). Works for me. Hell, you can even get a chin/pull up bar for about $20-$30 these days as something to start out with. Then every time you get a little cash, buy some more. That's what I did. Just keep an eye out for specials....

Why don't you buy some cheap equipment and do some stuff at home (provided you have the room). Works for me. Hell, you can even get a chin/pull up bar for about $20-$30 these days as something to start out with. Then every time you get a little cash, buy some more. That's what I did. Just keep an eye out for specials....

I want to do that.  I some area in my basement outside under the screening porch (would rather do that than inside, not to mess up the recent renovation we just did this past summer) where I could put my weights and barbells.  It honestly is not that hard to find cheap equipment on craiglist either.  People are always desperate for money and equipment can be had for cheap.  I might consider this in late September or early October, once I have a little bit of money I can spend.

Workout to feel good not just to look good. Live for accomplishments, not compliments.

Interdasting. 

Got my deadlifting form fixed. Started using a thicker bar with deeper grip marks and switched to mixed grip. Went from barely being able to do 3 reps at 210 to doing 8 reps. I probably could have done more, but the bar was scraping my shin up real bad. Had lots of blood coming from the scrape. Oh well, incoming strength gainssssss.

dude wear long pants lol.

Also personally I am struggling with my Overhead Press. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also personally I am struggling with my Overhead Press. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ohp is always a tough one to shift but microloading worked for me. Get a pair of smaller weights or those wrist/ankle weights to move up in smaller intervals. Start with a deload and push through the previous barrier

Starting a new workout routine, anyone think this is a bad idea? 

Monday 

Cardio

Chest

Back

Abs

Tuesday

Cardio 

Legs

Wednesday

Cardio 

Arms

Abs

Thursday

Cardio

Legs

Friday

Cardio

Shoulders

Back

Abs

Trying to build this into a habit no matter what I have to do... I normally go at 6:15 AM.

Yeah, I'm gonna wear sweatpants today but it's so damn hot right now. :\

Come fall/winter it's gonna be nice though. sweatpants/hoody = hnng

Monday 

Cardio

Chest

Back

Abs

Tuesday

Cardio 

Legs

Wednesday

Cardio 

Arms

Abs

Thursday

Cardio

Legs

Friday

Cardio

Shoulders

Back

Abs

Trying to build this into a habit no matter what I have to do... I normally go at 6:15 AM.

What are your goals? Bulk up? Slim down? Increase fitness? If you have to do cardio, I would do it after you do your weight training as it can affect your lifts. Also, it's probably better to pick a program that has been proven to work than one that you have made for yourself.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah, I'm gonna wear sweatpants today but it's so damn hot right now. :\

Come fall/winter it's gonna be nice though. sweatpants/hoody = hnng

bro, shin scrapes are battle scars and you should acquire them at all costs.

nah but wear long pants. sucks you don't get to see your calves look pumped out of their fuggin minds at the bottom of the lift but that's just a mirage from the compression anyway.

Anybody else in here targeting athleticism over mass? 

BONUS QUESTION: What's your target body fat percentage? Anybody got specific goals as far as that's concerned? 

bro, shin scrapes are battle scars and you should acquire them at all costs.

nah but wear long pants. sucks you don't get to see your calves look pumped out of their fuggin minds at the bottom of the lift but that's just a mirage from the compression anyway.

Anybody else in here targeting athleticism over mass? 

BONUS QUESTION: What's your target body fat percentage? Anybody got specific goals as far as that's concerned? 

I'd like to be a very athletic person, but for now my priority is gaining mass. 

Since I've never been able to see my abs before, I'd like to get my bodyfat low enough to see them. I'm cutting right now but I haven't decided whether or not I want to cut low enough to see them since I REALLY want to start bulking again for more gains.

Monday 

Cardio

Chest

Back

Abs

Tuesday

Cardio 

Legs

Wednesday

Cardio 

Arms

Abs

Thursday

Cardio

Legs

Friday

Cardio

Shoulders

Back

Abs

not a fan of cardio and legs in the same day. i've read some things about cardio being counterintuitive to your lifting goals if done on the same day (or, really, at the same time). throw some plyometrics and box jumps in there for one of those leg days or at least do them on a different day in place of cardio. it basically is cardio anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks Everybody! I got a wedding to get in shape for, Im probably 15-20 pounds over what I want to be at. Luckily, the wedding isnt until october 2014.

Thanks Everybody! I got a wedding to get in shape for, Im probably 15-20 pounds over what I want to be at. Luckily, the wedding isnt until october 2014.

If you're trying to lose weight, you need to make sure your diet is in check. Find out what your TDEE is and eat about 20% or roughly 500 cals under that. Use this to find out your TDEE- http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I do Right Trigger presses until failure.

Then alternate to Left Trigger presses.

I finish with Ogre twitches for 5min in each direction.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Choose a reputable program and follow it. The people who designed them have decades of experience - why mess with a successful formula?

Read this.

I've been MIA for awhile, sorry. Drove down to school last week from Tuesday to Thursday (2,100 miles wooo), that left me tired and surprisingly really sore. Been socializing and doing a ton of shopping to stock up my first apartment with everything. Classes start tomorrow, and I'm oddly excited for them. I forgot how sweaty I get working out down here...the gym is literally like a fucking sauna thanks to all the outside humidity. 

Ok I have figured out what I am supposed to be doing with my diet, my worst problem is snacking. Lately I have been choosing bananas or oranges or something to eat. I eat three meals a day but I think the thing that always got me was snacking. I tend to snack in between the three meals. I have been trying to snack more healthy and it has been helping a bit.

Better question is. Where do I go to decide a routine? I have checked out bodybuilding.com but I don't really know which one to choose.