Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

I think the whole less carbs burn more fat theory is just broscience. A calorie is a calorie when it comes down to it, and being in a deficit is enough to lose body fat. The macros are more for your energy levels, hormone balance, and maintaining and building muscle and stuff. (carbs, fats, protein).

I've tried low carb and high carb diets in the past and noticed no difference in fat loss consistency, only energy levels. I'm currently cutting on around 250 carbs and am seeing a consistent weight loss.

But hey, if it works for you then do what works for you. 

What isn't broscience in the world of health and fitness though? Everything's theory until tested. And everything that's tested has different results based on the person.

But a "calorie being a calorie" isn't necessarily true in terms of losing body fat, considering weight and body fat are two different things. Everyone would be ripped while eating nothing but Oreos everyday.

That being said, carb-cycling, low carb, etc isn't for everyone. I wouldn't even see the point in doing either of those unless you're either under 8% bodyfat and plateuing in fat loss or you're really carb sensitive. I'm like you, the metabolism gods allow me to be able to cut at ~250g of carbs so that's nice since feeling tired everyday would suck.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprints builds leg mass, fast.  Serious talk is serious.  Fucking do it.  I prefer hill sprints though or stadium stairs.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you're looking to build muscle mass or explosiveness, or trying to get a good cardio workout in a small timeframe, sprints or HIIT is the way to go. If you're more worried about general cardiovascular health or endurance, or just want to get lost in thought for 30+ minutes, go for a nice jog. Just don't kill yourself with the pace.

Anything 30+ minutes for cardio is detrimental to muscle growth.  

That's quite the blanket statement and really not very true, man. 

Everyone should read this article. TL;DR - All of the people vehemently and passionately arguing that running is bad are morons. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's quite the blanket statement and really not very true, man. 

Everyone should read this article. TL;DR - All of the people vehemently and passionately arguing that running is bad are morons. 

Great article. I especially enjoyed some of the comments. This lady, in particular, stood out to me (and is a machine!) -

I am 53 year old woman. My goals are to have my first 100 years of my life be usable icon_wink.gif

For me this translates to maintaining/building muscle mass, avoiding bone loss, maintaining mobility, and maintaining metabolic health. Can running contribute to these goals? Sure. Will an hour spent running pay the same dividends as an hour spent doing body weight/free weight exercise? Nope, at least not if you lift heavy. I clean and jerk 80% of my body weight, deadlift twice my body weight, do 8 dead hang pull ups, etc. That being said, the best form of exercise is the one you will do.

Seriously, I hope I'm that fit at her age.All my family are overweight and have lots of health issues. That's probably the main reason why I look after myself the way I do.

I refuse to become decrepit and hunched over when I age. I'm going to be active, alive, and youthful when I'm older, and that starts now. Building bone density, cardiovascular health and endurance, etc.

When I die, it will come out of nowhere, NOT the inevitable end of a painful, slow decline drawn out over years and years of suffering.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Any girls here? Well anyway, my gf started the "10 minute trainer" by the same guy from P90X. It's basically a lighter/female version of it and wow, that shit works. Toned stomach after two weeks (5 days/week). Get on this, ladies!

Any girls here? Well anyway, my gf started the "10 minute trainer" by the same guy from P90X. It's basically a lighter/female version of it and wow, that shit works. Toned stomach after two weeks (5 days/week). Get on this, ladies!

I'm assuming she changed her diet or didn't have much to lose in the first place? 10 mins worth of exercise for 5 days over 2 weeks isn't really going to do anything unless she also changed her diet. Either that, or she was eating at maintenance and the exercise put her into a deficit. 

I'm assuming she changed her diet or didn't have much to lose in the first place? 10 mins worth of exercise for 5 days over 2 weeks isn't really going to do anything unless she also changed her diet. Either that, or she was eating at maintenance and the exercise put her into a deficit. 

She's always been fit and has a strong diet, but that doesn't mean it still wasn't more effective than her other routines.

She's always been fit and has a strong diet, but that doesn't mean it still wasn't more effective than her other routines.

I find it hard to believe that 10 mins of exercise would do anything, unless she was doing HIIT, and still I think she would have to do at least 20 mins to get any real benefit.

I find it hard to believe that 10 mins of exercise would do anything, unless she was doing HIIT, and still I think she would have to do at least 20 mins to get any real benefit.

It wasn't 10 minutes, that's just what it's called. There are five 10 minute workouts that she did every day.

I'm pretty bummed out.  Right when I'm about to start working with 225 on bench, I do something to my wrist that doesn't allow me to bench normal.  I get a very sharp pain when I rotate it towards the left.  I've had to bring in my grip about 1 1/2 to 2 inches on both sides(index finger where the grooves start).  Since there is no pain when I do this, or on any other lift...idk if I should totally take a break or keep at it with the new grip.

Gl duke.  Go pick heavy shit up and put it down for me.

Depressed as fuck after my workout.  Fuck this and everything.  

fuck-this-and-this.gif

Has something happened?

Chin up, mate..... Things can't be that bad?

Has something happened?

Chin up, mate..... Things can't be that bad?

Not done with my degree but I am almost done.  And I just took a course that a lot of jobs require (quickbooks, easy as fuck).  So I applied at some online applications from craiglist for small local places.  Not a single word back and these are jobs I can easily do.  

It's like they expect me to have a 4 year degree to work a job that pays shit.  That's the economy that we're in.  So fuck this and everything.  My job is moving even further and will be wasting more than 2 hours in the car each day to/from work.  

Makes me feel like giving up.  I'm totally convince that our generation has been screwed and are fucked for the future.  BRB paying for babyboomers retirement as they age and economy will still be what it is due to their fucking greedy idiotic actions as a generational group.  They wanted 'world peace' and instead they 'fucked it' in the ass.  

Detroit is just the beginning brahs.  Serious.  Sorry for this rant.  So angry and depressed.  

TL;DR economy sucks ass

Not done with my degree but I am almost done.  And I just took a course that a lot of jobs require (quickbooks, easy as fuck).  So I applied at some online applications from craiglist for small local places.  Not a single word back and these are jobs I can easily do.  

It's like they expect me to have a 4 year degree to work a job that pays shit.  That's the economy that we're in.  So fuck this and everything.  My job is moving even further and will be wasting more than 2 hours in the car each day to/from work.  

Makes me feel like giving up.  I'm totally convince that our generation has been screwed and are fucked for the future.  BRB paying for babyboomers retirement as they age and economy will still be what it is due to their fucking greedy idiotic actions as a generational group.  They wanted 'world peace' and instead they 'fucked it' in the ass.  

Detroit is just the beginning brahs.  Serious.  Sorry for this rant.  So angry and depressed.  

TL;DR economy sucks ass

Tell me about it. Over here the cost of living is insane. My wife and I are both Tertiary educated and both work in professional jobs (full time) and still barely make ends meet. We upgraded from a unit to a house, since we had kids, because we needed the extra room. The average house price, where I live, is around $600K to $850K. We were lucky and got one really cheap at $540K. That, plus rates, plus increasing electricity bills, plus childcare fee's (Around about $700/week for 2 kids), plus food (About $350/week), we pretty much have nothing left in our bank account for fun. Shit, I feel like I have a mini breakdown at least once a month about our situation, but in saying that, all you can do is keep moving forward, as what other alternative do you have? Try not to stress too much, as things will eventually work themselves out. Trust me, I've been in your position plenty of times. Actually, I still am, as I'm currently back studying now..... and working full time.