Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

If you're looking to do cardio and get lean, P90X and Insanity are actually pretty good bets (don't do Insanity first). But if you're looking to bulk up and/or get stronger, they aren't very good methods of doing so. Especially because those programs often attract people interested in losing weight. They follow those at a caloric deficit, which makes them lose weight but not necessarily gain a lot of muscle.

QFT, I did a couple rounds of P90X before I actually started learning about lifting and nutrition. Leanest I've ever gotten.

Anyways I haven't hit the gym in probably 2 years (Life got hectic). Before I fell off I had achieved Intermediate to advanced strength standard lifts on all my heavy compounds. Now I haven't taken such a long hiatus before, so how long will it take to get my strength back? how fast does muscle memory and the size associated come back into play. Little apprehensive about going back, but I know i'm just holding off because I'm being a lazy kent.

Going to bring this back from the dead. How's everyone doing? I've been lifting in the mornings now. Its tough going to bed early because that's when everyone gets on Xbox lol but the gym being empty in the morning is so nice.

Super late to the party but the best thing i ever did was put a gym in my basement.  the thing that has kept me from getting fit in the past wasn't the gym, i was fine once i got there, but getting to the gym.  Prep and driving blah blah adding an extra hour to gym time for the round trip. now i can just walk downstairs in whatever the hell i want and do it.

QFT, I did a couple rounds of P90X before I actually started learning about lifting and nutrition. Leanest I've ever gotten.

Anyways I haven't hit the gym in probably 2 years (Life got hectic). Before I fell off I had achieved Intermediate to advanced strength standard lifts on all my heavy compounds. Now I haven't taken such a long hiatus before, so how long will it take to get my strength back? how fast does muscle memory and the size associated come back into play. Little apprehensive about going back, but I know i'm just holding off because I'm being a lazy kent.

Strength doesn't leave you as quick as conditioning does but 2 years is still.. a long time.  I would just take it like you are starting over and not set any expectations about how much weight you will move around right away because its going to be disappointing lol.  Dont let that shit get in  you rhead

• Upvote (+1) 2

Super late to the party but the best thing i ever did was put a gym in my basement. the thing that has kept me from getting fit in the past wasn't the gym, i was fine once i got there, but getting to the gym. Prep and driving blah blah adding an extra hour to gym time for the round trip. now i can just walk downstairs in whatever the hell i want and do it.

Love my basement gym. It's certainly lacking some things. Would kill for a cheap leg press or something for more lat work. It can also be a huge pain to find standard 2.5 or 5 plates but I've consistently lifted 6 times a week since I moved in and got it about a year ago.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Love my basement gym. It's certainly lacking some things. Would kill for a cheap leg press or something for more lat work. It can also be a huge pain to find standard 2.5 or 5 plates but I've consistently lifted 6 times a week since I moved in and got it about a year ago.

I've got to clean my garage out but once it's gutted I'll have my workshop on one side and then my gym on the other. Was very fortunate to be gifted with about 300 lbs in olympic plates from one of my dads co-workers who was moving and didn't want to take them with him, I want to buy one of the sets from Dicks where you get 300 lbs (including bar). I bought a nice weider squat rack on craigslist for $100, welded some reinforcements on it since it says 300# is it's limit and it should be good to go. The only thing I'm really missing is some form of dumbbell system, I can't justify spending $2,000 on a full set so I'm thinking of going the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 route but that's rather expensive and I don't like the idea of having to go back to my "dock" every time I want to adjust weight as well or I found Yes4All sells these sets for $190 that comes with 200# worth of weight so you can get up to 100# on each side and I could just keep the spare plates I need by me and spin off the locks, slap on the new weights, and go.

I've got to clean my garage out but once it's gutted I'll have my workshop on one side and then my gym on the other. Was very fortunate to be gifted with about 300 lbs in olympic plates from one of my dads co-workers who was moving and didn't want to take them with him, I want to buy one of the sets from Dicks where you get 300 lbs (including bar). I bought a nice weider squat rack on craigslist for $100, welded some reinforcements on it since it says 300# is it's limit and it should be good to go. The only thing I'm really missing is some form of dumbbell system, I can't justify spending $2,000 on a full set so I'm thinking of going the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 route but that's rather expensive and I don't like the idea of having to go back to my "dock" every time I want to adjust weight as well or I found Yes4All sells these sets for $190 that comes with 200# worth of weight so you can get up to 100# on each side and I could just keep the spare plates I need by me and spin off the locks, slap on the new weights, and go.

Changing out plates on a dumbbell between sets isn't very time consuming. I find that I stick with one weight through most exercises with them though. I'm sure that might not be very easy depending on what you're doing.

Changing out plates on a dumbbell between sets isn't very time consuming. I find that I stick with one weight through most exercises with them though. I'm sure that might not be very easy depending on what you're doing.

It all depends on my routine, I've done the All Pro routine and I treat it more like HIIT when I do it so I do like to keep things more fluid.

Very nice.  I have managed to keep a more consistent schedule since i got my basement cleaned out.  I only have one of those cheap "standard" 1" weights sets but its good enough.  The problem is i have to move plates from the barbell to the dumbells.  I'm training for a spartan race so i like to run supersets and circuits and moving the weights around forces too much rest time, so i will have to invest in more soon.

Spinning off the locks seems like no big deal but it is so annoying lol.

Very nice.  I have managed to keep a more consistent schedule since i got my basement cleaned out.  I only have one of those cheap "standard" 1" weights sets but its good enough.  The problem is i have to move plates from the barbell to the dumbells.  I'm training for a spartan race so i like to run supersets and circuits and moving the weights around forces too much rest time, so i will have to invest in more soon.

Nice man! I've done a few sprints and supers I highly recommend it. May do a beast later this year

Nice man! I've done a few sprints and supers I highly recommend it. May do a beast later this year

Sweet.

Yeah its a sprint June 2nd.  I need to start running more like 2 weeks ago.  That's my one weakness, my god do i HATE running.  I would rather do hill sprints till i puke than run for distance.

Sweet.

Yeah its a sprint June 2nd.  I need to start running more like 2 weeks ago.  That's my one weakness, my god do i HATE running.  I would rather do hill sprints till i puke than run for distance.

I feel ya I'm not a long distance runner myself. The fun is in the obstacles. Is the sprint on hilly terrain or flat? I've done a few that are on ski mountains. Those you really need to do the stair master that's the best training.

I also volunteer at races near me to get a free race credit. It's usually not terrible work and they let you out a little early.

I feel ya I'm not a long distance runner myself. The fun is in the obstacles. Is the sprint on hilly terrain or flat? I've done a few that are on ski mountains. Those you really need to do the stair master that's the best training.

I also volunteer at races near me to get a free race credit. It's usually not terrible work and they let you out a little early.

Its at a ski resort in NY, so yeah.. super hilly.

I did a tough mudder a couple years ago.  twice as long and also on a ski mountain.  That was awful.  There is an obstacle where you jump into a pond full of ice water that literally saved my bacon.  Stopped the cramping in my legs.  I thought it was going to seize everything up but i must have been so overheated at that point, it was the best thing.

I guess its a good thing?  I would much rather run like 20 hill repeats than run flat and long.

Miss this thread - I basically lived in the MLG Fitness thread back in the day. Haven't lifted in years (because of an injury from the Army) but I'm finally getting back into a fit lifestyle. As I get older I'm being reminded daily how important fitness/nutrition is. I'm feeling like shit. 

Its at a ski resort in NY, so yeah.. super hilly.

I did a tough mudder a couple years ago.  twice as long and also on a ski mountain.  That was awful.  There is an obstacle where you jump into a pond full of ice water that literally saved my bacon.  Stopped the cramping in my legs.  I thought it was going to seize everything up but i must have been so overheated at that point, it was the best thing.

I guess its a good thing?  I would much rather run like 20 hill repeats than run flat and long.

Definitely use the stair master then! Tuxedo ridge btw? That was my first race (im originally from Westchester btw if you are from the area)

Also, GATORADE!! I cramped so bad on my first super. Gatorade saved me and my friend's legs from cramping at the next super i did

Week and a half into getting back into the gym, focusing more on just losing inches than the scale which was a big focus for me last time. I'm also being far more liberal with my diet, than going low calorie and low carb. Right now I'm just mainly counting calories and if my belt tightens another notch, that's a win.

Week and a half into getting back into the gym, focusing more on just losing inches than the scale which was a big focus for me last time. I'm also being far more liberal with my diet, than going low calorie and low carb. Right now I'm just mainly counting calories and if my belt tightens another notch, that's a win.

Yeah, focusing on more tangible goals is definitely better.  Eat real food, not too much and try to focus on getting better (lift more weight, run faster, lose inches etc) in a tangible way and the rest kind of falls into place.

I am not a big fan of setting a "Goal weight" either.  People will get within 5-10 pounds of their goal and not be able to lose that last bit and feel bad about it.  I just think, if you look better, feel better and are more fit in general.. maybe you're at goal and your "goal weight" was wrong?

Yeah, focusing on more tangible goals is definitely better.  Eat real food, not too much and try to focus on getting better (lift more weight, run faster, lose inches etc) in a tangible way and the rest kind of falls into place.

I am not a big fan of setting a "Goal weight" either.  People will get within 5-10 pounds of their goal and not be able to lose that last bit and feel bad about it.  I just think, if you look better, feel better and are more fit in general.. maybe you're at goal and your "goal weight" was wrong?

Yeah, last time I was flat out miserable going low carb, low calorie, and high intensity workouts. For instance today I had a PB and J and some pretzels, not crazy bad in the calorie department and enjoyable. Last time I would have never done that because the only carbs I would really eat was some oatmeal in the morning, and then I would have a shitty high sodium lean cuisine. I was 205 at that time and had a goal weight of 175. I dropped down to 180 without a problem, the last 5 pounds were absolutely murder, then stress took over for my wedding and I dropped another 5 to 170. I would LIKE to be around 180 that feels natural for me, but I'm only weighing myself once every cycle of my workout routine which lasts 5 weeks. This time I'm 215, and after the first week I only lost a couple pounds but I can easily hit the notch on my belt versus a week ago of having to suck in/force it. As long as my current clothes become more comfortable to wear, that's a win haha. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, last time I was flat out miserable going low carb, low calorie, and high intensity workouts. For instance today I had a PB and J and some pretzels, not crazy bad in the calorie department and enjoyable. Last time I would have never done that because the only carbs I would really eat was some oatmeal in the morning, and then I would have a shitty high sodium lean cuisine. I was 205 at that time and had a goal weight of 175. I dropped down to 180 without a problem, the last 5 pounds were absolutely murder, then stress took over for my wedding and I dropped another 5 to 170. I would LIKE to be around 180 that feels natural for me, but I'm only weighing myself once every cycle of my workout routine which lasts 5 weeks. This time I'm 215, and after the first week I only lost a couple pounds but I can easily hit the notch on my belt versus a week ago of having to suck in/force it. As long as my current clothes become more comfortable to wear, that's a win haha. 

I am definitely not on the "Carbs are bad mkayy" bandwagon.  There is no inherently "bad" macronutrient.  Bad food is bad, period.  If said food was made possible by the sun, soil and water then prepared by actual humans, its probably OK for you. 

Tangent incoming - I hate hearing from dairy-free, gluten-free whatevers how they "feel so much better" now.  You're lactose intolerant because you dont produce the enzyme to break down lactose? No. oh... You have Celiac? that sucks.  Oh you have been tested and you don't, you're just 'intolerant'?  hrmmm, did you ever stop to think that maybe you feel better because your primary source of calories isn't ice cream, donuts and gas station pizza anymore?  I bet you would be able to tolerate a 5 ingredient wheat bread just fine compared to a 30 ingredient, shelf stable white bread....

I am definitely not on the "Carbs are bad mkayy" bandwagon. There is no inherently "bad" macronutrient. Bad food is bad, period. If said food was made possible by the sun, soil and water then prepared by actual humans, its probably OK for you.

Tangent incoming - I hate hearing from dairy-free, gluten-free whatevers how they "feel so much better" now. You're lactose intolerant because you dont produce the enzyme to break down lactose? No. oh... You have Celiac? that sucks. Oh you have been tested and you don't, you're just 'intolerant'? hrmmm, did you ever stop to think that maybe you feel better because your primary source of calories isn't ice cream, donuts and gas station pizza anymore? I bet you would be able to tolerate a 5 ingredient wheat bread just fine compared to a 30 ingredient, shelf stable white bread....

I was hoping the gluten free fad wouldn't make it this long but it is incredibly annoying. I would put it on par with people who talk about the 'snowball method' or any other dumb financial planning advice.

I was hoping the gluten free fad wouldn't make it this long but it is incredibly annoying. I would put it on par with people who talk about the 'snowball method' or any other dumb financial planning advice.

At least the snowball method has psychological motivation behind it (you're referring to paying smallest debts first opposed to highest interest first?). If that't not the snowball method you are referring to then idk lol. 

I just think that people like to feel like they "belong" to something, even if that something is a weird club that keeps you from enjoying things.  It just seems like the far more logical answer is that the modern western diet is full of cheap, adulterated crap.  How is one of the most staple foods on earth that basically enabled the creation of "Civilization" in the first place suddenly bad for you?  Its not the food that's the problem, its what we have done to the food in the chase for greater shelf life and higher profits.

What do you guys think of vegan options then? Just curious. I've been mixing in some vegan dishes into my cooking every once in a while. I don't plan on giving up meat but its pretty crazy how far these vegan options have come. Check out Trader Joes for some good stuff

What do you guys think of vegan options then? Just curious. I've been mixing in some vegan dishes into my cooking every once in a while. I don't plan on giving up meat but its pretty crazy how far these vegan options have come. Check out Trader Joes for some good stuff

I think in general the western diet has too much meat in it and we should all be eating more vegetables.  I stay away from Vegan meat and dairy substitutes though.  Not because they taste worse than the real thing (even though they usually do) but because they generally had to do some kind of chemistry magic to even come up with it in the first place.  You gotta read the ingredients on some of that vegan food pretending to be meat and dairy. they're commonly 20-30 ingredients long. Stabilizers and emulsifiers and all kinds of stuff.  A lot of meat substitutes use hydrogenated oils which don't even exist in nature and our bodies can't process.  Soy is a bean and almonds are nuts. You can't milk them, don't try to trick me.  Science thinks that it can create food better than real food, but it simply can't.  Now i don't mean to single out vegan food, because the fact is you look at 90% of the food products in the grocery story and they are all guilty of this.  Most food at the store is garbage unless you are on the outside isles.  Even a lot of that stuff is grown for looks and for quantity and is a lot less healthful than heirloom varieties.  

There are also things that advertise themselves as vegan, where its like, yeah no shit you have been vegan since the beginning of time.  Same with gluten free stuff.  Why are you putting gluten free on a bag of salad or tub of ice cream? I know its all just advertising, but it still annoys me lol

That said, my cousin makes this vegan chili which is bangin.  But its all real food, tomatoes, beans, spices etc.  The only vegan food i have really had an issue with is the stuff that is trying to pretend to be something its not, and generally failing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think in general the western diet has too much meat in it and we should all be eating more vegetables.  I stay away from Vegan meat and dairy substitutes though.  Not because they taste worse than the real thing (even though they usually do) but because they generally had to do some kind of chemistry magic to even come up with it in the first place.  You gotta read the ingredients on some of that vegan food pretending to be meat and dairy. they're commonly 20-30 ingredients long. Stabilizers and emulsifiers and all kinds of stuff.  A lot of meat substitutes use hydrogenated oils which don't even exist in nature and our bodies can't process.  Soy is a bean and almonds are nuts. You can't milk them, don't try to trick me.  Science thinks that it can create food better than real food, but it simply can't.  Now i don't mean to single out vegan food, because the fact is you look at 90% of the food products in the grocery story and they are all guilty of this.  Most food at the store is garbage unless you are on the outside isles.  Even a lot of that stuff is grown for looks and for quantity and is a lot less healthful than heirloom varieties.  

There are also things that advertise themselves as vegan, where its like, yeah no shit you have been vegan since the beginning of time.  Same with gluten free stuff.  Why are you putting gluten free on a bag of salad or tub of ice cream? I know its all just advertising, but it still annoys me lol

That said, my cousin makes this vegan chili which is bangin.  But its all real food, tomatoes, beans, spices etc.  The only vegan food i have really had an issue with is the stuff that is trying to pretend to be something its not, and generally failing.

Good points. I definitely eat both "real vegan food" but also the vegan substitutes. I am not sure how bad the substitutes are for you but I'm not eating them regularly. Just the occasional "what the hell" meal.

My gf eats these crazy health ice cream pints that have like 20g protein and 300 calories. I wonder how the body processes that

Good points. I definitely eat both "real vegan food" but also the vegan substitutes. I am not sure how bad the substitutes are for you but I'm not eating them regularly. Just the occasional "what the hell" meal.

My gf eats these crazy health ice cream pints that have like 20g protein and 300 calories. I wonder how the body processes that

I'm going to go with... it doesn't haha.  I know my last post sounded a little hardcore but i'm not a zealot about this kind of stuff.  Still gotta live your life.  I still eat pizza, ice cream, oreos (my weakness) etc, just a lot less than i used to.  And beer.  I have not cut down my beer consumption in any capacity haha. If im going to eat junk, i just eat junk.  I think trying to eat "less unhealthy" junk is kind of silly.  Just east less of the "real stuff" and don't do it too often. 

I got obsessed with this stuff maybe a couple years ago and watched a bunch of food documentaries, read a couple books, a bunch of research (well PubMed Abstracts anyway...) and the history of food in this country is so messed up.  Like, we have known since THE 70's that fat is not the enemy and the real enemies are fake fats and refined carbs but the food lobbies railed so hard against the SCIENTIFIC guidelines the government was about to publish that they basically changed the guidelines to be what the food industry wanted.  They basically convinced the government to push for carb consumption and say fat was bad because carbs are cheap and you can use "low fat" as advertising tactics and just replace the fat with sugar.  The government didn't change the guidelines until just a few years ago, and even that was lobbied against and didn't go far enough. That's what happens with the same arm of the government that is responsible for promoting the food industry is also the arm of the government that is responsible for regulating it.

I have a list of shit you can watch/read if you are interested (or maybe im preaching to the choir haha).

I'm going to go with... it doesn't haha.  I know my last post sounded a little hardcore but i'm not a zealot about this kind of stuff.  Still gotta live your life.  I still eat pizza, ice cream, oreos (my weakness) etc, just a lot less than i used to.  And beer.  I have not cut down my beer consumption in any capacity haha. If im going to eat junk, i just eat junk.  I think trying to eat "less unhealthy" junk is kind of silly.  Just east less of the "real stuff" and don't do it too often. 

I got obsessed with this stuff maybe a couple years ago and watched a bunch of food documentaries, read a couple books, a bunch of research (well PubMed Abstracts anyway...) and the history of food in this country is so messed up.  Like, we have known since THE 70's that fat is not the enemy and the real enemies are fake fats and refined carbs but the food lobbies railed so hard against the SCIENTIFIC guidelines the government was about to publish that they basically changed the guidelines to be what the food industry wanted.  They basically convinced the government to push for carb consumption and say fat was bad because carbs are cheap and you can use "low fat" as advertising tactics and just replace the fat with sugar.  The government didn't change the guidelines until just a few years ago, and even that was lobbied against and didn't go far enough. That's what happens with the same arm of the government that is responsible for promoting the food industry is also the arm of the government that is responsible for regulating it.

I have a list of shit you can watch/read if you are interested (or maybe im preaching to the choir haha).

What documentaries do you recommend?

Alright I think I understand. Do you happen to know any specific ingredients that are not digestible? I can keep a look out for those.