Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

Gotta be really careful about your knees tracking in on squats, man. Even if it means taking some time away from lifting as heavy as you can. Better to get a lot of reps/ work in with good form than to get some reps with good form and a few with bad form. 

Gotta be really careful about your knees tracking in on squats, man. Even if it means taking some time away from lifting as heavy as you can. Better to get a lot of reps/ work in with good form than to get some reps with good form and a few with bad form. 

Yeah i dont know how i ended up with a narrow stance on that rep. Regardless, im fine now just a little scare. I've been squatting in socks because my foot is still hurting from a few weeks ago so I literally wear my timberlands to the gym for the support walking around

Inzer Forever belt just got delivered! Only took a week or so to get here once I ordered it.

This thing feels fucking insane. I'm so excited to test it out! 

Use belt if trying to get stronger at barbell movements

Prob don't need one otherwise because if that isn't your goal just do high rep machines  :glasses:

True weighlifters wear it at all times in the gym (honestly idk why some of these people in the gym do that)

Officially started the tsa program today. I hate those first super easy couple weeks of programs but I know eventually the volume/intensity will meet up to make things harder.

So some of you advocated that low intensity cardio for heart health. Any negative impact on testosterone by doing that? Or not enough to offset the health benefits?

Changes in your testosterone within normal range won't be noticed or affect anything

My weakest friends has 800 ng/dL and my strongest friend has 300

Do any of you do ab specific work? Or just let your compound lifts build your core?

It can be beneficial to do a small routine twice a week. Your compound lifts can only do so much but if you're going for the gainz, having a good strong core will definitely help in that regard.

Yeah a lot of BBers wear a belt the entire session and I don't know why

Gotta get on that waist trainer meta

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP5cuCzg3GN/

Frank Zane wore a belt, he said he felt like it shrunk his waist over time.

I can't see a downside to wearing one, if your goal is  to maintain a small waist.

Finished TSA's 9 week intermediate program this week. Tested my squat and bench today. Squatted 355, a 10lb PR, and bench 255, a 5lb PR. I was probably good for at 265lb on bench but I'll save that for next time. 

Really enjoyed the program. First time I've made progress on squats in a year and never dealt with knee pain. Benching 3x a week felt great. Was nice to deadlift regularly again. Going to test my deadlift next week and then run the program again with my new maxes starting the first week of May. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was pretty rad, I just spent a weekend out of town at a 20 hour seminar/workshop series for life coaching (long story - that's my thing now) but like EVERYONE's ice breaker for interacting with me was some variation of like "you seem really calm/friendly/[compliment] which I didn't expect because of how powerful and muscular you look" or "so you're a fitness/sports coach, I take it?"  (and a bunch of girls specifically said my quads were awesome ayy)

It was really cool going into a new environment of people who had no idea about my life and they instantly make the assumption that fitness is a big part of it.  It shows that even when I look at myself in the mirror and I'm like "lmao do I even lift" they REALLY get that from me as a first thought.  A lot of people called me variations of "intense" (in a positive way), a few people called me a freight train hahaha

I'm pretty soon planning a shitload of gaming tattoos to fill up my left arm so I'm really interested how that shifts the conversation when I'm in a new environment.  I really do encounter a genuine " O_O " reaction from dropping in like "oh yeah I've been a super hardcore video game nerd for around 17 years now" and of course like 100 followup questions start blooming and they always end really fascinated.  Whereas before, as you can imagine, it was an assumption that I was some type of weird dorky kid just because it's how I looked.

Life is really interesting right now!  I hope things have been looking good for the rest of you dudes.  

Going to bring this back from the dead. How's everyone doing? I've been lifting in the mornings now. Its tough going to bed early because that's when everyone gets on Xbox lol but the gym being empty in the morning is so nice.

Going to bring this back from the dead. How's everyone doing? I've been lifting in the mornings now. Its tough going to bed early because that's when everyone gets on Xbox lol but the gym being empty in the morning is so nice.

I'm trying to get back on the wagon for the 100th time. I currently weigh the most I ever have.  Last year I was in the best shape of my life and broke tons of PRs.....and then I injured my knee around November. Ever since it has been a struggle to be consistent. I'm currently on Week 3 of working out 4 to 5 times a week.  Doing "okay" on the diet. Trying to stick to low carbs/sugars. I've got lots of things planned this summer to influence me: friend's wedding, beach trips, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm trying to get back on the wagon for the 100th time. I currently weigh the most I ever have.  Last year I was in the best shape of my life and broke tons of PRs.....and then I injured my knee around November. Ever since it has been a struggle to be consistent. I'm currently on Week 3 of working out 4 to 5 times a week.  Doing "okay" on the diet. Trying to stick to low carbs/sugars. I've got lots of things planned this summer to influence me: friend's wedding, beach trips, etc.

Hear ya on that man, I weigh more now than before my wedding which was my motivation to lose weight and get in shape. I went from 205 to 170, now I'm 212, I feel 180-185 is my most natural weight for me though because from 180-175 was a pain in the ass last time, and I think I only dropped down to 170 due to stress of getting everything tied up for the wedding. Then as soon as the wedding was over I took a week off, jumped into refinishing our basement and was working on that every night once I got home from work, and all day on weekends until it was finish, got sick because I pushed so hard, and never really got back into it. I'm hitting the gym starting again next week, probably not the best idea but going to eat like a bigger fatass than I am now this final weekend before I go clean again. But more importantly than losing weight I'm doing it for my mental health, I've been battling my worst bout of OCD, Anxiety, and Depression ever and I know exercising will be a big aide in controlling it.

• Upvote (+1) 1