Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

I did sumo deadlifts for the first time yesterday. Went okay. Its going to be a transition process since ive been deadlifting the conventional way for so many years

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM3xHmYlhpR/?taken-by=mrstackingplates

I observe folks spending a disproportionate amount of their gym time on abdominal training. And often, this abdominal work is being done by individuals with significant levels of midsection adiposity. I've long held the belief that time spent directly training abs is largely wasted time and effort... -
Personally, I spend the majority of the year avoiding any direct abdominal work, and normally only implement training of this muscle group deep into dietary phases, and really only if I want to bring just a tiny amount of extra "pop" for pictures or videos. Yes, the rectus abdominis are a muscle group, however their growth potential is severely limited - particularly if engaging in bodyweight style training which most seem to do. In fact, most folks are really just after a "streamlined" midsection so I'd also ask folks who do direct oblique work to ask themselves why they would actually have desire growing a muscle that will create the illusion of a wider waist? To this end, I no longer do any direct oblique work, and haven't for years.
-
So why are so many folks devoting hours per week to the ab machines in gyms? Many have heard the phrase "abs are made in the kitchen" but I speculate there are still some who may think training abs will somehow "spot reduce" fat tissue in the region. The truth is that the abdominal muscles (even if becoming more developed over time) will still be hidden by a layer of adiposity. For this reason, I would urge folks to consider lowering their abdominal training frequency significantly and instead devote their time/focus in the gym on other more cost effective movements. Structure the diet in such a way that midsection adiposity lessens and those abs will tend to come out organically!

• Upvote (+1) 1

It depends on your ideology because there's other conflicting ideas that you can spot reduce based on if you properly train or not. Your Zane's and Columbo's of the world believed and lived by that idea (granted maybe not the best examples now that I think about it as they were already totally shredded). However, some of the things I've read is based on warming of the fat area and targeting the adjacent area to induce spot reduction. It's something I'm interested to try out and if I'm left with a slightly bloated stomach as a result I guess I'll just have to make everything else catch up.

Can only target specific receptors with drugs as far as I know, genetics pre-determine the locations that fat comes off in what order

Just diet until you have ab veins, no need to worry about a specific section, just shred the whole thing up fam

Can only target specific receptors with drugs as far as I know, genetics pre-determine the locations that fat comes off in what order

Just diet until you have ab veins, no need to worry about a specific section, just shred the whole thing up fam

That's the plan, I would love to try some of the newer articles I've read on spot reduction though, I know on the whole most people think it's bullshit, but there's some ideas about warming the area, working the muscle adjacent to it, and while in a fasted state would yield that result, it could all be bullshit (probably is) but I'm willing to be a guinea pig. Typically the first place to store fat is the last place to lose which is what makes getting abs for most men such a bitch (since we store fat in the stomach generally first). But some straight up hgh into the tummy would do the trick too.

Fasted AM cardio with yohimbine is one thing you can do legally

The rest of the methods require harder drugs

You're correct that 2 IU (6 days on 1 day off) of FDA-approved rHGH could be used in this manner with a fasted state, using more than that doesn't seem to be scientifically supported for any increased fat mobilization.  Some would argue unless you're very stacked on funds and looking to TRULY reach national+ levels of leanness you'd probably want to save your funds for bulking since other supplements can get these results much cheaper.  Much harder to gain muscle than to retain muscle so hormone budget should be allocated accordingly.  You only have to cut that aggressively if you're stepping on a big stage.  Otherwise the basics do the trick and save you quite a bit of cash!  

I'll get started doing cardio to begin with then I'll worry about shifting it to a specific part of the day haha.

There's not too much benefit to fasting without the yohimbine/GH synergy anyways from what I've read, doing it when most convenient leads to better adherence long term :)  And bring some Netflix if you can!

I started doing the stationary bike for 30 mins at a time, and it really isn't that bad. I don't know why I've waited so long to add back in cardio for my heart health

Being lean is cool and all but training while bulking is so much more fun than training in a deficit.

Btw blitz how is the cut going?

I started doing the stationary bike for 30 mins at a time, and it really isn't that bad. I don't know why I've waited so long to add back in cardio for my heart health

boring as shit though. I was enjoying basketball as cardio till i hurt my foot but hope to get back into that soon

boring as shit though. I was enjoying basketball as cardio till i hurt my foot but hope to get back into that soon

Yanno, I used to feel that way, but I put on my favorite playlist and honestly 30 mins flew by on the bike

It's going, making small steps, using this as an excuse to learn how to cook some new stuff

Smart man

Also Matt you posted that IG pic about abs, what's your opinion on ab work?

PR'd on bench yesterday with 225x5. Pretty damn happy with it. 

Thinking about trying thestrengthathlete's free 9 week intermediate program in a couple of weeks. I haven't done a powerlifting program since Madcow in like 2012 and it looks like it would work fairly well for where I am. Anyone have recommendation on programs they have liked? There are so many out there for beginners/intermediates, but as you get past that intermediate stage there seem to be fewer options. 

Just trying to see what a little more structure and specificity does for my total, and specifically for my squat, which has seen so little progress over the past year.

Nice job joeyboi.  Can't recommend any programs tbh 

One thing I've been very very in tune with during my last bulk and current cut is how drastically I let my schedule bend because of girls.  Aug 2016 - present for me as been pretty wild to say the least and I'm really aware of how much I sacrifice in terms of lifting and nutrition to not interrupt time with girls.  That's something I really want to focus on changing.  I'd say that's my #1 flaw right now.  Inability to get into good habits, then stay there REGARDLESS of what other things are going on.  Of course I'm not gonna go 100% bodybuilding hermit mode, but I really do sacrifice too much.  I'm trying to get newbae to buy a gym membership with me actually which would be HUGE for my consistency.  Regardless I'm glad that I've identified this as a problem and I'm going to work on fixing it.  

Nice job joeyboi.  Can't recommend any programs tbh 

One thing I've been very very in tune with during my last bulk and current cut is how drastically I let my schedule bend because of girls.  Aug 2016 - present for me as been pretty wild to say the least and I'm really aware of how much I sacrifice in terms of lifting and nutrition to not interrupt time with girls.  That's something I really want to focus on changing.  I'd say that's my #1 flaw right now.  Inability to get into good habits, then stay there REGARDLESS of what other things are going on.  Of course I'm not gonna go 100% bodybuilding hermit mode, but I really do sacrifice too much.  I'm trying to get newbae to buy a gym membership with me actually which would be HUGE for my consistency.  Regardless I'm glad that I've identified this as a problem and I'm going to work on fixing it.  

It's a lot easier for me to say since I'm now recently married and we've been together for almost a decade but I think it would be fundamental in discovering the type of person you're dating by saying, "Look, between the hours of 3-5 M-F I'm unavailable and will be at the gym. It's important for me to do that for reasons A, B, C. But after that my time is yours." If they're not an absorbed person they'll understand how important your health is to you and will respect and support it. My wife knows after work I'm in the gym and it could be a hot minute before she hears from me. I mean you're not living in the gym 16 hours, so taking a few hours a day for yourself shouldn't crush any prospect of a potential relationship. 

Yeah absolutely, it's 100% my fault just being lazy and choosing to just do stuff with them and like "eh I'll catch up on the gym tomorrow" but I have a habit of only going for the super over the top clingy ones that wanna be with 24/7 so given that reality I have to lay down a firm gym schedule, unless I can convince this new one to start coming with me regularly, I think I'm close.

• Upvote (+1) 1

She has two options, go to the gym with you or be okay with you lifting and pressing her and throwing her on your back and squatting with her as your weight at any given time. 

Going to start the TSA program next monday. Decided after saturday's bench workout that I should probably deload this week because my elbows were feeling beat up from all of the pressing. So I'm using this week to take it easy in the gym and get somewhat used to full body workouts 4x a week. It just so happens that I've got a cold and my joints ache anyway, so I guess this deload is perfect timing?

Also the gf bought me an inzer forever belt for valentine's day, should be getting it in the mail sometime in the next couple of weeks. I have literally never trained with a belt in my life, but I'm excited!

Use belt if trying to get stronger at barbell movements

Prob don't need one otherwise because if that isn't your goal just do high rep machines  :glasses:

Great article. Guess I'll belt up again lmao

I was squatting yesterday and my last set first rep my stance was too narrow and my knees bent real far in. Finished the set and then did leg press but I was fully extending at the end, which my gf told me isn't good, and now my knees don't feel too good