Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

In general, yay. Cardio is important man. That being said I don't do any except for playing basketball lol. But just that helps me maintain a decent level of fitness.

Love finding new exercises, or new ways to do exercises that just feel extra good. Today I learned steep decline crunches--like a 60 or 75 degree angle--feel fucking amazing for me. 

Also this week is deload week. Decided to play around with power cleans and almost hit a PR of 205. Just didn't have the fortitude to get under it. Then did cluster sets on back squat with 225,working on technique with this new wider stance of mine. 

Cardio: Yay or nay? Thoughts/opinions

2x/week LISS year round 30-45 mins for heart health even in off season

Increasing amounts based on goals and/or supplement use that endangers the heart

High level coaches seem to be concluded that cardio for fat loss specifically isn't a great idea, do it for health and keep it as "fun" as possible (ideally unstructured "outdoor" cardio with friends)

I just like doing interval sprints. Not so much when I get lazy for a while, then attempt to jump back into them like I'm still in shape...but when I actually do it a couple times a week consistently.

I prefer pulling sumo. Easier to keep my back flat and is less taxing on my lower back in general.

This, I just feel awkward in the sumo position in general.

The awkwardness fades with practice. Dan Green has a good video on youtube on sumo deadlift cues that really helped me out.

Deload week continues. The only thing fun about deload week is knowing you had a successful training block.

I did a 10/10/10 superset of db fly, db pullover, db bench with squeezing the db's together stopping just short of full rom for max chest squeeze for like 7 sets or somethin on chest day

was pretty rad

Thoughts on this possible LISS progression

Week 1:  3 x 30m

Week 2:  3 x 35m 

Week 3:  3 x 40m

Then reset and same format 

Week 4/5/6  4 x 30/35/40

Week 7/8/9  5 x 30/35/40

Week 10/11/12  6 x 30/35/40

90 mins per week to 240 mins per week over 12 weeks.  Too slow?  Just right?  Keep in mind this would be a supplementing a 5 on / 1 off lifting plan with decreasing calories each week

Following this I'd probably reset to a baseline 2x/week for the following bulk just for ~heart health~

I have no idea how to progress with LISS. Honestly had never though about progressing it lol.

I would think if you're losing enough weight --> keep doing what you're doing.

Not losing enough --> add a little.

Going from 90 min/wk to 240 min/wk over the course of a 12 week cut seems reasonable to me personally and like an easy way to keep the gains (or losses) coming. 

Depends what your goal is really, if you want to be big or looking to be athletic and fit.

As I loom to create athletes, I normally get them to do a lot of cardio with everthing they do, as in football(soccor) you don't need that much power compared to NFL football.

If you are looking just to get big and you don't want to "waste" time doing cardio, try changing your diet to less carbs and a more rep based sets, to try getting the cardio in with the weights.

2x/week LISS year round 30-45 mins for heart health even in off season

Increasing amounts based on goals and/or supplement use that endangers the heart

High level coaches seem to be concluded that cardio for fat loss specifically isn't a great idea, do it for health and keep it as "fun" as possible (ideally unstructured "outdoor" cardio with friends)

LISS?

Also I do Sumo because I've found it a safer deadlift movement for me at 6'4"

LISS?

Also I do Sumo because I've found it a safer deadlift movement for me at 6'4"

Anything that keeps your heart rate elevated but not pounding and you're not sucking wind. A decent walking pace on a slight incline, riding a bike, etc. Not going balls out running a million miles per hour.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thoughts on this possible LISS progression

Week 1:  3 x 30m

Week 2:  3 x 35m 

Week 3:  3 x 40m

Then reset and same format 

Week 4/5/6  4 x 30/35/40

Week 7/8/9  5 x 30/35/40

Week 10/11/12  6 x 30/35/40

90 mins per week to 240 mins per week over 12 weeks.  Too slow?  Just right?  Keep in mind this would be a supplementing a 5 on / 1 off lifting plan with decreasing calories each week

Following this I'd probably reset to a baseline 2x/week for the following bulk just for ~heart health~

Where do you find the time for such lengthy workouts? Is your gym down the street?

EDIT: Oops, I read 90 mins per week as 90 mins per day lol

There's treadmills downstairs in my apartment gym, I do my normal workouts at 24 but I can do cardio whenever

I also have a rowing machine literally 1 foot away from my bed lmao but I'm lazy

But yeah 90 mins per week is nothing for cardio hahah

I notice the older I get (29) the more cardio I need to do to maintain or lose weight and gain muscle.

Shouldn't rely on cardio for weight management IMO, you can get legit crazy jacked with diet alone, just the cherry on top for health and performance

Don't forget to deload occasionally, guys. I feel so fucking fresh this week. Squats felt great for the first time in months on Monday. Bench felt great today. 

Also up 8 pounds since September. I had planned on doing a mini cut starting last week but I think I should hold out a while longer and realize some real strength and muscle gains first. Might wait until I weigh 160lbs to do a mini cut, 160 would be a first for me and will require gaining another 6lbs or so. 

Want to elaborate on this?

Being able to put your body through a higher amount of tension/weight moved per unit minute/workout/unit of time will eventually help lead to more strength/growth, and having a good set of heart and lungs on ya will help you achieve that

Additionally, regular cardio can help a number of important health markers which WILL be damaged during periods of extreme dieting, whether that means getting lean or growing.  Past a certain level, getting a body to be big is a lot of stress on your whole system in general.  You'll be breathing heavy and shit during normal daily tasks.  Sure not everyone is going to aim for that extreme but the point remains, cardio does help all this stuff.  Or at the very least, it'll remove it on the list of potential limiting factors.  

Some also report some extra cardio stimulating hunger for much more than the calories burned, so some will continue to do fasted cardio a few days a week on higher eating days to help them put down some big meals.  How much food you can stand to eat is a big limiting factor for some people, which is a big reason why legal PEDs like MK and GHRP-6 are used for periods of growth, literally JUST for the extra hunger from them.  So for people where cardio helps that, that's lower stress on your system to get that same effect you desire.

In short, there's basically no reason not to have cardio in your schedule year round other than laziness (my big flaw)

• Upvote (+1) 1

My biggest flaw too is being lazy with cardio, I tell myself all the time I'm going to just add some low impact work on the stair climber, elliptical, or treadmill 60-90 minutes a week on the days I generally work just abs, but I never fucking do and I never work my abs which is why I'm starting to see toning everywhere but my stomach which is still a bit flabby because I don't put it under any real stress in my workouts which having a shit core is also going to become a limiting factor in my lifts very soon.