Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

Did another spartan race yesterday at Fenway park. Pretty fun, obviously much easier than a normal race. At the end there was a bunch of punching bags lined up that you have to run through and I got smacked in the shoulder by one which really is killing me today :/

Tried back squats today for the first time since the knee tendonitis began, which was two weeks ago.

Although my knee no longer hurts, the act of squatting still bothered it. Ugh. I just want to squat and deadlift lots of weight :(

Long time no post but I finally went around and did a powerlifting meet. Shits a great experience and the energy is amazing, I would recommend it to anyone unsure of trying it out. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nice man that's cool!

I stopped lifting for a week and gained like 5 new veins popping that I've never seen before so idk what's going on

Anyone feel less stressed out when playing Halo 5 after a good session at the gym?

Mm, gaming is definitely worse for me when I'm having hard workouts, I used to buy the whole "get fit and it helps your brain go faster and be awesome at games" story but I've completely turned on it.  Gaming is way better when you have more time and energy to focus on gaming.  I am definitely more relaxed when I'm not doing any physical activity.  Plus then you need less sleep, or feel more awake with the same amount of sleep, because your body isn't beaten down trying to build itself back up.

nah if i sit home and game all day i feel like a vegetable. need to have my workout done before i can relax and game

• Upvote (+1) 1

nah if i sit home and game all day i feel like a vegetable. need to have my workout done before i can relax and game

This is how I feel, I feel I've wasted the day if I dont get some exercise in and spending that time gaming makes me stressed.

Idk, I feel pretty awesome letting my body rest up so I can have more time and energy to focus on other goals. I've never felt "better" after a gym session honestly, just like totally fucked and exhausted most of the time. I mean if I was like fat and miserable because I'm not putting enough effort toward my fitness I guess I'd have an overall sense of being unwell, but like day to day if I know I'm getting more jacked every month, taking days or weeks off in between feels heavenly, the day opens up so much lol

Gotta cruise it up and crush some other hobbies sometimes

Totally agree about the day opening up though. Like if for some reason I'm not feeling the gym then yeah i feel like i have so much free time

Yeah I dunno, I've never felt the whole guilt / relief of guilt dynamic in terms of lifting. If I gotta ditch the gym I had a good reason and I'm enjoying the hell out of whatever thing prompted that. I could easily sit at my desk for 16 hours straight and feel hella accomplished if I went hard at whatever I was doing there (and often do). Gym will always be there another day ;)

Unrelated: Leg workout today was 5x20 leg curl, 5x30 leg press, 5x20 abductors, 1x80 calf raise (nonstop drop set 20 at each weight). So much pain

Also hit the stairmaster for the first time the other day and holy shit that thing is killer

Fucking destroyed my ankle yesterday playing basketball. Stepped on another guys foot and rolled it I literally heard something crack or break. Really painful for a minute and then after that I was able to play the rest of the time. 

Weird injury. Barely feel it at points and in some movements it really hurts

See guys that's the lesson for ya, play more games, less physical activity ;)

Kidding, that sucks dude. If it's any consolation that happened to my girl and it swelled up to the size of a fucking melon and couldn't walk on it, but literally a few days later it was 99% fine again. Ankles are weird as hell. Just make sure you get any brace or crutch or w/e helps you not fuck it up any further if it feels bad enough to need it!

yeah a brace would help but nah no swelling at all. A friend of mine had the same thing as ur gf we were playing football and he rolled it and it looked like a tennis ball was inserted into his ankle lmao.

Doesn't seem like a serious injury but i should probably not play basketball Wednesday

Guys I've said it 100 times before but this time I mean it, I'm ACTUALLY going to do a cut.  I SWEAR THIS TIME.  You have to believe me. 

Starting early or mid Jan, and going for 12 weeks.

Prob will give carb cycling a go because the thought of full keto makes me want to puke.  Please god pray for me as I actually attempt to enter a caloric deficit rather than stuffing my fat face 24/7.

Deficits are easier for me than surpluses, small appetite feelsbadman.

Misc's resident strong lord reminding us that we're all weak:

Fighting just to maintain your lifts must feel awful.  Maybe avoidable if you cut slow.  1 pound per week is pretty standard though right I guess that's the goal??  

Strength loss is very minimal on a slow cut, personally all my lifts stay the same or slightly increase.  

You see progress pretty quickly so it's easy to stay motivated imo.