Beryl AU

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

The only life I know now is walking, food, and beer. Logged 30km today. Ate weinerschnitzel. Drank beer.

Europe is fun. My muscles is dead.

That's the life. Post up some pics of food, beer, and places you've walked.

How long are you over there for? ..ive been enjoying riding my bicycle around town here, and on trails, etc. Could only imagine what its like to tour Europe on one, have you looked into renting one for the day?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH7zAZWAo2M/

This was just a small clip of my workout from Saturday. The tractor tire I was lifting and flipping is 300 lbs. I did 3 sets of 10 of the following. 300 lbs. tire flip. In the video there is a smaller 125 lbs. tire you can see behind me. Using a 20 lbs. sledge hammer I would hit it 10 times overhead from each side. Then 10 times low and from the side for some oblique work from each side. My father mounted a heavy duty eyebolt through the 125 lbs. tire to attach a towing strap, had about 5 feet on each side with handles attached to it. I would first do 10 "presses" start with my right foot in front of me and left foot back almost in a half lunge with my hands gripping the handles at my chest and would press forward, take a step so my left foot was forward and right foot back and press again. After that I went into a low squat and would row the tire to me. I'd then stand in the center of the tire and gripping it do shoulder shrugs and calf raises.

It's a fun circuit to run, and I started to suck wind pretty bad at the end. Will say, the new pomade I bought for my hair has the power of a 1000 suns to hold that shit in place while I workout.

Alright boys the time is upon us

Friday 11:30am my first real bulk begins

16-24 weeks, have a list of guidelines/advice on hand from gf to build each session around: 55-75% of max should be the range for 90-95% of training, deads on the lower side and bench on the higher side, should aim for as HIGH volume as is physically possible but to start slow and build progressively toward that mark (aiming for a 5-10% increase per week for me since I'm coming off of still being a bit rusty and have some adaptation left in me still), I have to go ahead to "do whatever keeps me excited and wanting to lift" because that will be better results than slogging away at something I hate, this makes me happy.

Will be deadlifting for the first time since over 2 years ago (1x/week to start), and aiming to complete much higher volume than I've ever attempted in the past while gaining 20-30 lbs bodyweight, POSSIBLY doing a local powerlifting meet at the conclusion just to test where I'm at with a better environment than walking into the gym one day but that's not a big deal either way and won't affect my training as I don't want to take time away from building strength to "peak" strength at this stage.

She also thinks I should eventually be woratking up to benching 3x/week because 2 isn't really enough once you aren't a beginner baby anymore, I guess.  Maybe will sort that out later.  Oh and biceps 4x/week because mine look like I've literally never walked into a gym before

Cardio is something I have to sort out.  I have basically abandoned it completely after being a nolift cardiolord for much of this time.  It's something I SHOULD be doing year round regardless of goals.  But I hate the idea of just grinding out LISS for health while my goal is to get big and strong.  Thus, I may opt for something like 1x/week high intensity sprinty stuff aiming for PRs in some form (would do this on a rowing machine), 1x/week low duration just pop on some netflix on an iPad and stationary bike or some shit.  Or maybe I'll try the stairmaster thing that all the hot girls and 300 lbs bodybuilders do, that seems to be popular in the metagame these days.  I don't know if that's enough...I guess I'll see how dreadful the health markers look after the first 6 weeks

Okay that's my long post about where I'm at.  Prepare for gains.  For reference my recent bests are 305x10 squat (peak: 420x1 in 2014), 205x10 bench (peak: 275x5 in 2014), 0 deadlift (peak: 450x1 in 2014), and if I don't end this year absolutely dumping on all these numbers please ban me from this forum

• Upvote (+1) 4

"The stairmaster thing that the hot girs and the 300 lb bodybuilders do"

made me crack up 

gl u beast

@@mattBLiTZ I think we should ban you now until you prove you've gotten your gains. Good luck though bro. I hope for the best for ya.

Is there anything wrong with maintenance? I like my weight and how I look right now. If I wanted to get stronger I'd have to work out more and eat more but I'm trying to spend less time in the gym and enjoy my summer. 

@@Destroyaaa Personally I find nothing wrong with maintenance, you can still achieve strength gains without size or weight gains, you know they won't be as substantial but you can still make gains. If you like where you're at, just go for it man. I'm at a happy weight right now so right now I'm just trying to cut bodyfat % while keeping my weight where it's at. After I get my BF% to a happy place I'll most likely just look to maintain as well. I don't think lifting always has to be about lifting heavier weights. Some people love the gains in size and lifts and I support that. Personally for me, I just wanna look good naked and for me being super lean at 175, maybe 180 is where I feel my happy place is. Now once I achieve that goal I may change how I perceive myself and may decide to do a slow bulk. Time will tell.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there anything wrong with maintenance? I like my weight and how I look right now. If I wanted to get stronger I'd have to work out more and eat more but I'm trying to spend less time in the gym and enjoy my summer. 

Bodyweight maintenance is good, performance maintenance is ehhhh, if you aren't moving slightly forward you end up moving backwards IMO, if you aren't training with the intensity that you know that you should then I'd be surprised if you kept up your numbers.  Is there anything wrong with doing that for a period of time? No, not really.  It comes back quick as I have shown recently, I lifted to maintain muscle mass / aesthetics which I successfully did BUT lost basically all of my strength during that period of time.  So if you're willing to sacrifice progress in order to put more time/energy into other parts of your life and are willing to commit like 6 weeks to getting back in shape when the time comes, sure.  

Although as someone who hates himself I can't imagine feeling satisfied enough to just stop improving hahah I just wanted to focus on a different sport and was too lazy to keep up lifting properly

Bodyweight maintenance is good, performance maintenance is ehhhh, if you aren't moving slightly forward you end up moving backwards IMO, if you aren't training with the intensity that you know that you should then I'd be surprised if you kept up your numbers.  Is there anything wrong with doing that for a period of time? No, not really.  It comes back quick as I have shown recently, I lifted to maintain muscle mass / aesthetics which I successfully did BUT lost basically all of my strength during that period of time.  So if you're willing to sacrifice progress in order to put more time/energy into other parts of your life and are willing to commit like 6 weeks to getting back in shape when the time comes, sure.  

Although as someone who hates himself I can't imagine feeling satisfied enough to just stop improving hahah I just wanted to focus on a different sport and was too lazy to keep up lifting properly

I think ur right about not moving forward = moving backwards. I am of course trying to move forward but just not with the intensity that I have in the past. Once winter rolls around if I'm not liking where I am at then sure I'll probably go hard again

I think ur right about not moving forward = moving backwards. I am of course trying to move forward but just not with the intensity that I have in the past. Once winter rolls around if I'm not liking where I am at then sure I'll probably go hard again

And that's the point I was trying to make I think you can still make gains, they just will not be significant when going through maintenance.

And that's the point I was trying to make I think you can still make gains, they just will not be significant when going through maintenance.

For sure. But for the hardcore lifters they'll be like wtf r u doing but i don't want to spend my whole life in the gym

You can get pretty sick progress for low time spent in the gym if that's what you desire, but it'll have to be intense as fuck.  If you want low time in the gym AND low mental/physical energy spent then that won't work tho

You can get pretty sick progress for low time spent in the gym if that's what you desire, but it'll have to be intense as fuck.  If you want low time in the gym AND low mental/physical energy spent then that won't work tho

I guess. I'm certainly not dogging it but not going 110% either. 

I guess. I'm certainly not dogging it but not going 110% either. 

I do a modified version of All Pro, Front or Zercher Squat, Dumbbell Bench, Bent Over Row, Overhead Press, Stiff Leg Dead Lift, Upright Row, Calf Raises. Set up, workout, and breakdown even on my medium and light days where I add an additional 1 or 2 working sets depending on how I feel takes me less than an hour, usually around 50 minutes. I try to go non-stop with just a small water break between working sets because I get such bad cotton mouth in the summer as a mouth breather with plugged sinuses. My off days I'll admit I don't do shit for cardio, I hate it, I need to do more of it, but I'll do a 20 minute-ish ab routine and a very small 10-15 minute jog. Outside of that my time spent doing abs or in the gym lifting I go balls to the wall hard.

jiqE9tKrjlXgc.gif

Bulk begins

Squatted 325 for 7 sets of 4 and 1 set of 8

Gonna go full meme and buy a shitload of milk and creatine

Man, it's crazy, exactly 1 month ago today I did 315 1x5 and could barely manage 2 more sets after that at way lighter weight, it really took all my effort to achieve that, then today knocking out 36 total reps of +10 lbs from that, feels really damn good. I wonder when my progress will really hit a wall, it must be coming soon since I'm practically in uncharted territory for me...lifetime best was 325 1x7 when I was at my peak so I have no clue how high I can go here.

Thinking maybe I'll do a bunch of reps of 245 on Monday, then give 335 a go a week from now.

Bulk begins

Squatted 325 for 7 sets of 4 and 1 set of 8

Gonna go full meme and buy a shitload of milk and creatine

Man, it's crazy, exactly 1 month ago today I did 315 1x5 and could barely manage 2 more sets after that at way lighter weight, it really took all my effort to achieve that, then today knocking out 36 total reps of +10 lbs from that, feels really damn good. I wonder when my progress will really hit a wall, it must be coming soon since I'm practically in uncharted territory for me...lifetime best was 325 1x7 when I was at my peak so I have no clue how high I can go here.

Thinking maybe I'll do a bunch of reps of 245 on Monday, then give 335 a go a week from now.

My best squat was 325 1x5. Man that was a lifetime ago

Well it apparently comes back quick whenever you want to get back at it!  I don't know when I'm going to have to ditch my AMRAP and just stick to 8x4 to complete my reps.  I think the first day that I don't feel like I can get more than 4 on the final set will be time to switch the rep range for this "heavy" day.  

Imagine if I could hit 365 8x4 though, I guess that isn't super unreasonable??

Well it apparently comes back quick whenever you want to get back at it!  I don't know when I'm going to have to ditch my AMRAP and just stick to 8x4 to complete my reps.  I think the first day that I don't feel like I can get more than 4 on the final set will be time to switch the rep range for this "heavy" day.  

Imagine if I could hit 365 8x4 though, I guess that isn't super unreasonable??

Oh it came back but i was also like 10-15 pounds heaver when I was lifting that heavy so i didn't get that far

\She also thinks I should eventually be woratking up to benching 3x/week because 2 isn't really enough once you aren't a beginner baby anymore, I guess.  Maybe will sort that out later.  Oh and biceps 4x/week because mine look like I've literally never walked into a gym before

Curious about the thought process behind doing one muscle "group" multiple times per week

Muscles should be worked 2-4x/week for optimal progress, period

Here's the volume to aim for according to Dr Mike Israetel who is pretty much the top dog of smart training principles these days, this is assuming you're working heavy compounds as a foundation:

front delt 6-10 sets
side delt 20-30+ sets
rear delt 12-18 sets

chest 15-25 sets

triceps 15-20 sets
biceps 15-30 sets
forearm 10-15 sets

back 15-20 sets
traps 10-15 sets

quad 15-25 sets
glute 10-15 sets
calf 10-30 sets 8-30 reps

deadlift 5-10 sets 5-15 reps once a week

whole-body MRV (maximum recoverable volume which should approximately equal the minimum work required for progress in the long run) is LOWER than the sum of the MRVs of your individual muscles. Train 33-50% of your muscles at 50-66% and cycle emphasis after 1 or 2 mesocycles

More detail:  notehub.org/tjd9u

As far as strength training goes, you have to be really advanced to benefit from 1x/week on a squat or a bench, some would say it's never ideal but some strong folks who are squatting sets of 800 or some shit in their training session may benefit from a ton of extra rest compared to a normal person because they're getting so much volume (reps x sets x WEIGHT) just because of their insane numbers.  For the rest of us, it's pretty much minimum to squat and bench twice a week for good progress.  But pressing strength goes away faster and requires more reps so it should be taken to 3x/week eventually, if you're dedicated.  I'm sticking with 2 for now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I figured out why my squats suck right now. Its not because of my weight its mostly because I was squatting 3x a week when I was at my best. My other lifts aren't so far off from what I used to do but my squats are lacking.

I'm okay with this since well I am still squatting at least once a week and im focused more on upper body which I wanted. But I finally figured out the mystery