Sign in to follow this  
BlackShadow

New Halo 3 Harcore Settings?

Just a thought I had playing MLG customs today; the last time we had an update was v8 back in 2010 IIRC.  Now, 5 years later in 2015, does the community need to update the hardcore settings as we've seen in other esports scenes like Smash?

Specifically, I'm talking about making v9 settings.  Personally I would remove OnSlaught (it's basically a more laggy version of Heretic but doesn't play as well) and I'd remove Amplified because I remember that map being unliked by 90% of the competitive community back when H3 was MLG's flagship game.  I'd much rather see maps like Citadel, Blackout, and Cold Storage (of course you would have to tweak many things in forge for those last two), or better and unique forge maps as opposed to Ons and Amp.  Just my opinion.  What do you guys think?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just a thought I had playing MLG customs today; the last time we had an update was v8 back in 2010 IIRC. Now, 5 years later in 2015, does the community need to update the hardcore settings as we've seen in other esports scenes like Smash?

Specifically, I'm talking about making v9 settings. Personally I would remove OnSlaught (it's basically a more laggy version of Heretic but doesn't play as well) and I'd remove Amplified because I remember that map being unliked by 90% of the competitive community back when H3 was MLG's flagship game. I'd much rather see maps like Citadel, Blackout, and Cold Storage (of course you would have to tweak many things in forge for those last two), or better and unique forge maps as opposed to Ons and Amp. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

I agree with Onslaught and Amplified but I have to 100% disagree with Citadel, Blackout and Cold Storage. Those maps are awful.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I didnt like them maps at the start but once I learned how to play them they grew on me. Blackout would be horrible beuase its a horrible map in h3. I think the map rotation is as good as it can get with h3.

I agree with Onslaught and Amplified but I have to 100% disagree with Citadel, Blackout and Cold Storage. Those maps are awful.

Just out of curiosity, do you think even if they were forged versions they would still suck as bad?

I didnt like them maps at the start but once I learned how to play them they grew on me. Blackout would be horrible beuase its a horrible map in h3. I think the map rotation is as good as it can get with h3.

I don't believe so.  I'm sure we could find 2 really good and competitive forge maps that aren't Ons and Amp.  

Just out of curiosity, do you think even if they were forged versions they would still suck as bad?

They just have a lot of problems with them. Blackout doesn't have any of the jumps to change elevation so it's easy to pin people down. Citadel is so open and little which can cause a lot of spawn issues. It jut usually doesn't play very well but is the best of the 3 you said. Cold Storage is way too small I believe.

I think we should leave it how it is. These are supposed to be the old tourney approved gametypes in the playlist

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How about Assembly?

I think we should leave it how it is. These are supposed to be the old tourney approved gametypes in the playlist

Read the OP.  

• Downvote (-1) 1

They just have a lot of problems with them. Blackout doesn't have any of the jumps to change elevation so it's easy to pin people down. Citadel is so open and little which can cause a lot of spawn issues. It jut usually doesn't play very well but is the best of the 3 you said. Cold Storage is way too small I believe.

Then we need some new forge maps in there because Amp and Ons play terrible and are basically watered down versions of Midship.

That's a good point.

Guys no need to update the H3 comp settings. The team Hardcore playlist description mentions, "legendary tournament-approved game types".  Besides there is a great mix of game types and maps to play. Honestly id wish they would add other classics such as Heretic ball, Guardian slayer, or even Pit King! Lockdown ball is another story though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't mind Guardian Slayer coming back, it was originally removed because of stand offish gameplay that wasn't good for the viewer experience which is why amplified was added I guess. I love it when games are close and the next one or 2 kills are crucial, such intensity much perspiration.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wouldn't mind Guardian Slayer coming back, it was originally removed because of stand offish gameplay that wasn't good for the viewer experience which is why amplified was added I guess. I love it when games are close and the next one or 2 kills are crucial, such intensity much perspiration.

Agreed.  I would much rather see that as opposed to Amp TS.

Oh god no (no offense lol)

Reasoning is that Amp TS is just a poor man's Heretic TS, which is already in the rotation.  The gametypes are redundant.  They both achieve a nearly identical style of play, with one being clearly better at it than the other.  Citadel TS offers something different.  I don't think this map ever had a fair shake.  I think people write it off based on how it plays with default settings, which is stupid.  Give this map 110 damage and movement speed, get rid of the horrible default overshields, equipment and barrels, and I think you've got a decent map with a unique playstyle.  Maybe put a camo bottom mid under the rockets on a 1 minute timer?  Could be really fun.

As for Onslaught, the map's meta is just absolutely exhausted.  Again, this was created to be a poor man's Midship/Heretic CTF, which again is already in the rotation.  It's a redundant gametype that's done better by its counterpart.  The map is as barebones simple and linear as they get, and while I won't deny that it's really fun, I just don't think we need it any more.  It got 3 years of tournament play, and a map this simple deserved about 1/3rd of that time, if that.  Onslaught reminds me of an action sack gametype.  It's just gimmicky and caveman-simple.  Heretic CTF does it better.  I'd rather have a different objective gametype that plays totally unique to anything else in the rotation.  Isolation King does just that.  King gets rid of just about every problem that Isolation had.  Hell, you could even block off the bases with forge pieces so that you only play the top part and the bottom hallways, which imo would be a decent map.  And unlike the Ons/Heretic relationship, Iso King would play nothing like Construct King.

Not to mention, these new choices could be played splitscreen, which you can't do well on the forge maps.  I think these gametypes were underrated and under-tested, and they could offer unique gameplay in place of inferior, redundant gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This gametype's problem could have been completely alleviated with a 1 minute camo instead of 2 minutes.

There were many good Sandbox forge maps on Forgehub back in the day and I'd love to see a proper Citadel setup for TS and CTF

Is this the first time in Halo history where we are probably debating settings for three different games in the franchise?

Halo 2 Anniversary

Halo 3

Halo 5: Guardians

Leave Halo 3 as is, it is meant to be a throwback to tournament-approved gametypes.

Is this the first time in Halo history where we are probably debating settings for three different games in the franchise?

Halo 2 Anniversary

Halo 3

Halo 5: Guardians

Leave Halo 3 as is, it is meant to be a throwback to tournament-approved gametypes.

Reach backwards compatibility coming in Decemeber :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach backwards compatibility coming in Decemeber :weback:

v8?