Sign in to follow this  
Lucky--

Looking For A New Laptop (Need Suggestions!)

Hey guys, my friend is looking to buy a new top between the $400-$800 range. He's going into his first year of grad school and wants a solid computer to work on, etc. I'd figured I'd ask you guys! Any and all suggestions are welcome! 

There are far too many options to really help your friend; tell him to make a list of specifics of what he wants his laptop to do.

You would have to answer a lot of questions, like: What Operating system do I need/will work for what I am doing? How much disk space do I need (Id go for a solid state drive...they blow hard drives cleanly away in terms of power and speed)? What kind of CPU would be necessary? a dual core i5? Quad core i7? How much RAM do you need? 6-8 gigs? 10gigs? Do you want a touch screen laptop (NO...no no.. NOOO on that one) or a full blown laptop?

If its just for school I'd look for

i5

4-8 GB of RAM

1TB HDD

That would suffice for everything you could possibly need unless he was doing something like video editing or gaming.

You would have to answer a lot of questions, like: What Operating system do I need/will work for what I am doing? How much disk space do I need (Id go for a solid state drive...they blow hard drives cleanly away in terms of power and speed)? What kind of CPU would be necessary? a dual core i5? Quad core i7? How much RAM do you need? 6-8 gigs? 10gigs? Do you want a touch screen laptop (NO...no no.. NOOO on that one) or a full blown laptop?

i say give a laptop the same digitizer as a Surface Pro 2 (even 3) and it would be awesome. but at that point you might as well get a surface pro lolol

on topic,

get  a macbook. Kappa

i say give a laptop the same digitizer as a Surface Pro 2 (even 3) and it would be awesome. but at that point you might as well get a surface pro lolol

on topic,

get  a macbook. Kappa

Mac books suck Kappa.

To each their own, but Mac Books are good for somethings, just not all.

Surface Pros look neat, but to me its not worth it. You can build a custom PC FAR more powerful that those things.

Well I was going to make my own post on this but I guess I'll just post it here

My Macbook that I bought in 2010 is on the way out. I am looking for a cheap tablet that can be used as a laptop if necessary. I don't need any fancy machine just pretty much a device to watch videos and browse the web.

Edit: too late got a chromebook lol

Mac books suck Kappa.

To each their own, but Mac Books are good for somethings, just not all.

Surface Pros look neat, but to me its not worth it. You can build a custom PC FAR more powerful that those things.

i was not serious by any means.

If you want a glorified Web Browser, go with the Mac line up hue hue hue.

Surface Pros are totally worth it, and would even say they are far better than Laptops. I would never compare a Desktop Windows PC to a Surface Pro Tablet, but with a Laptop? Surface Pros blow them out of the water.