Moa

Halo 5: Guardians Playlists Discussion

Wanting the least amount of playlists at launch is such backwards thinking. There should be all sorts of playlists at launch to cater towards a wide variety of people. This whole 8 playlist thing is some of the weirdest logic I've ever heard.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Wanting the least amount of playlists at launch is such backwards thinking. There should be all sorts of playlists at launch to cater towards a wide variety of people. This whole 8 playlist thing is some of the weirdest logic I've ever heard.

agreed, we should be trying to cast as wide of a net as possible, especially considering having to overcome the lack of splitscreen. halo 3 had it just right, offer options that cater to everyone.

the one thing i dont get is that cod has basically copied the halo 3 setup for ho long now? yet 343 hasn't tried this

agreed, we should be trying to cast as wide of a net as possible, especially considering having to overcome the lack of splitscreen. halo 3 had it just right, offer options that cater to everyone.

the one thing i dont get is that cod has basically copied the halo 3 setup for ho long now? yet 343 hasn't tried this

Holy shit we agree on something right off the bat this is monumental.

But forreal it makes no sense what they are doing. If we really wanted to gain a wide audience we would offer everything and then maybe cut down later. Having a lot of playlists doesn't splinter population at all. If it's an unpopular playlist it will just have a hundred people or so. Are they really expecting like only 500 people to be online? Because being that worried about population of each playlist on day one ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holy shit we agree on something right off the bat this is monumental.

But forreal it makes no sense what they are doing. If we really wanted to gain a wide audience we would offer everything and then maybe cut down later. Having a lot of playlists doesn't splinter population at all. If it's an unpopular playlist it will just have a hundred people or so. Are they really expecting like only 500 people to be online? Because being that worried about population of each playlist on day one ridiculous.

LMAO, well we were bound to agree on something.

what makes this especially weird is that we're coming off what 3 bad halo games since last good one (h3)? and some think it's a good idea to not offer as many options as possible? how does this entice people to come back when your already losing options before the game even comes out? shit, i would expect every feasable playlist under the sun (same goes for custom game options) at this point with out amount of shit gone like SS, BTB, LAN ect

LMAO, well we were bound to agree on something.

what makes this especially weird is that we're coming off what 3 bad halo games since last good one (h3)? and some think it's a good idea to not offer as many options as possible? how does this entice people to come back when your already losing options before the game even comes out? shit, i would expect every feasable playlist under the sun (same goes for custom game options) at this point with out amount of shit gone like SS, BTB, LAN ect

Exactly! They already said no BTB at launch. Seeing as that was one of the most popular playlists on MCC that's a huge crowd we are missing. This is so easy to see I don't get how this is an issue. Halo is setting itself up for failure.

Exactly! They already said no BTB at launch. Seeing as that was one of the most popular playlists on MCC that's a huge crowd we are missing. This is so easy to see I don't get how this is an issue. Halo is setting itself up for failure.

The niche for BTB can be in Warzone for a few weeks. 

Let's take a moment and see the whole "need as many playlists as possible" stance from another viewpoint. We're not going to get playlists like Grifball, Action Sack, or Team Doubles unless there's a team right now working on variants and gametypes suited for those playlists. If there isn't then we're going to be waiting a couple of weeks.

If anything we're going to get Team SWAT, Snipers, and maybe Infection at launch since that will be the easiest to include. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The niche for BTB can be in Warzone for a few weeks.

Let's take a moment and see the whole "need as many playlists as possible" stance from another viewpoint. We're not going to get playlists like Grifball, Action Sack, or Team Doubles unless there's a team right now working on variants and gametypes suited for those playlists. If there isn't then we're going to be waiting a couple of weeks.

If anything we're going to get Team SWAT, Snipers, and maybe Infection at launch since that will be the easiest to include.

Certain game types like Action Sack stuff can wait a week or so because of that reason that's fine. But limiting everything and leaving out a lot of options is just dumb. Warzone and BTB are no where near the same thing and that community will not be happy. My main concern for a playlist is an unranked HCS playlist so than casuals can try the game types out and see how they like it. Also, this allows people that are already a high rank play HCS with friends of a lower skill. Yea there might be pub stompers but there will be even more pub stompers in playlists that have a weaker player base. Appealing to as many players as possible is crucial to a game's launch.

Ranked:

• Team Slayer
  • Team Doubles
  • Team HCS/Hardcore/MLG/whatever the fuck u wanna call it
  • FFA
  • Team OBJ (with breakout as a gametype)
  • Swat
  • Snipers
  • Squad Battle/BTB (6v6/8v8/12v12 whichever fits maps best)

Social:

• Multi-Team
  • Warzone (I'd like to see this ranked if it is balanced, and add a custom games option)
  • Action Sack
  • Social Slayer (either 5v5 or 4v4 irdc)
  • Living Dead (maybe have this only be double xp weekend idk)
  • Social Objective
  • Big Team Battle (I'd rather this playlist be ranked, but that may scare away ppl who might play if not)
  • Rumble Pit

Double Exp/Rotational:

• Race
  • Griffball
  • Fiesta
  • Mythic Brawl
  • Grab-bag (A community custom featured playlist similar to action sack)
  • Holiday themed playlist 

Additional Thoughts:

The playlists would have to be monitored and if they simply aren't being played or taking too long to find games then they can be removed/replaced with something else. I'm a fan of more ranked playlists because casuals won't really care about ranked and they will stay lower levels and won't get stomped as often, and higher skilled players will have more competitive matches regardless of the playlist. That being said, social playlists are needed because even "try-hards" want to fuck around sometimes. 

Initial launch population and whether or not the game actually works will be a huge factor in the amount of playlists.

[Edit was to add warzone]

• Upvote (+1) 1

Arena:

HCS

FFA

Team Slayer

Team Doubles

Social:

Griffball

Infection

Snipers

Swat

Objective

Warzone:

Warzone

Rotational: Action Sack/Multi-Team/Race/

To be added: Big Team battle

Generally I advocate more playlists than average but I'm just being realistic with my suggestion.

Arena/eSports

• HCS
  • TS
  • Doubles
  • FFA
  • Breakout?(Both social and competitive or competitive only/social only)

Casual

• Warzones
  • TS (Social)
  • FFA (Social)
  • Breakout?^
  • Team Snipers
  • Grifball
  • Action Sack
  • Big Team? (If that's still going to be a playlist)
  • Multi-Team
  • Swat
  • Living Dead

Rotation

• Race
  • Holiday
  • Grab Bag
  • Fiesta

Arena

- Halo Championship Series

- 2v2

Casual

- Team Slayer

- Team Objective

- Warzone

- Grifball

- FFA

- Action Sack

Less is more.

Other than Grifball/Warzone/Action Sack you are speaking my fucking language.

Warzone is a separate game component.

Action Sack/Grifball Double XP Weekends

Add SWAT/Snipers/Breakout and we are BACKKK

If they go with just 2-3 Ranked Playlists I will be in heaven.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm changing my playlists because Frank inspiration.

Ranked:

- Halo Championship Series

- Team Doubles

- Breakout (if it isn't played in HCS)

- Free-For-All

Public:

- Team Slayer

- Team Objective

- Breakout (if it is played in HCS)

- SWAT

- Team Snipers

Rotationals are what you'd expect: Race, Action Sack, Head to Head, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm changing my playlists because Frank inspiration.

Ranked:

- Halo Chanpionship Series

- Team Doubles

- Breakout (if it isn't played in HCS)

- Free-For-All

Public:

- Team Slayer

- Team Objective

- Breakout (if it is played in HCS)

- SWAT

- Team Snipers

Rotationals are what you'd expect: Race, Action Sack, Head to Head, etc.

I can get behind this. A small selection of core playlists which covers all the bases. I'm also glad you turned around and made FFA ranked instead of unranked.

Do you think we'll get playlists for specific gametypes like the beta? For example

Arena:

Team Slayer

Strongholds

Breakout

CTF

HCS

Cause I hope not

I can get behind this. A small selection of core playlists which covers all the bases. I'm also glad you turned around and made FFA ranked instead of unranked.

Eh personally I actually could go either way with FFA. For the most part I prefer Public compared to ranked but I understand the desire for it to be Ranked. I'm certainly not a fan of having two FFA playlists so I guess Ranked covers more holes than Social.

Do you think we'll get playlists for specific gametypes like the beta? For example

Arena:

Team Slayer

Strongholds

Breakout

CTF

HCS

Cause I hope not

Nah. Halo 4 proved that to be a horrible idea. It was only like that in the beta to get more people to test them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nah. Halo 4 proved that to be a horrible idea. It was only like that in the beta to get more people to test them.

Honestly really hated that from Halo 4. It makes a playlist so repetitive. 

That's also why Halo 3 really shined with double EXP playlists. It could get away with sometimes having a very similar experience within a single playlist just because:

1) The extra EXP was a nice incentive to grind it out

2) It only lasted for a weekend, and was a nice change from the core playlists

3) Specific playlists came back once every one, two or three months even

4) Typically wasn't taken as seriously because losses didn't matter as much (since you needed 2 losses per 3 games to get an actual loss on your record) so it had a more relaxed feel to it

5) After grinding out the same gametype over a few days, you were looking forward to going back to the core ones

This said, core playlists should definitely offer a wide variety of map/gametypes combo so they don't get repetitive.

Everybody doing the survey should be able to see 343's proposed playlists. This one's very important, GET IT RIGHT lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just want a few core playlists with great populations and good skill match making / both ranked and unranked 

and Exp-Xp per playlist because it was the fucking  :goat:

• Upvote (+1) 1

If only MCC could have a team objective playlist. I mean I have the perfect playlist layout all figured out but that's never gonna happen. So the next best thing is an obj playlist.

Ranked

• HCS
  • Team Doubles
  • Slayer
  • Lone Wolves
  • FFA
  • Team Objective
  • Grifball

Social

• Social Slayer
  • Social FFA
  • Team Tactical
  • Snipers
  • BTB
  • Swat

Rotation

• Game Mode Specific Playlists (Breakout only, CTF only, etc)
  • Infection

Ranked:

- HCS

- Lone Wolves

- Team Slayer

- Team Doubles

- Breakout

- Head to Head

- Team Snipers

- Team Objective

- Classic Team Slayer

Social:

- Warzone

- Big Team Battle

- Rumble Pit

- Social Slayer

- Living Dead

- Action Sack

- Grifball

- Multi Team

Also hope we get double exp weekends again.

This is a great list. I would love to see a head to head cage match type playlist and I would love even more for special double exp weekends.

You listed both Team Slayer and Classic Team Slayer in ranked... what would be the differences for those 2 playlists?

I just want a few core playlists with great populations and good skill match making / both ranked and unranked 

and Exp-Xp per playlist because it was the fucking  :goat:

Yeah there shouldn't be too many playlists active at one time, no doubt about it. Also, exp ranks for each playlist would be amazing mixed with double exp weekends with grifball or living dead to keep people coming back and boosting the population during the weekend.  :)

• Upvote (+1) 2