TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

That's already been tried in Halo Reach, and we all know how that turned out.

Its range is simply too high, leading to a lot of cross map sniping.

It's not the range, it's just how freaking easy it is to use. H5 DMR seems to be no exception.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That was an AA problem not a weapon problem.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The pistol in h1 the br in h2 both can hit at long range as well i dont see what the problem is being able to shoot across the map with the gun you start with. Especially with the limited rifles on the map. Theres nothing worse than seeing someone down the way and not being able to put some shots in because you dont spawn with a weapon that can hit them.

It's not the range, it's just how freaking easy it is to use. H5 DMR seems to be no exception.

That was an AA problem not a weapon problem.

This (both of you).

The Halo 5 DMR is simply too powerful to be a viable "utility" weapon.

Honestly if the dmr had the aa/magnetism of the pistol in h5 it would be the better weapon. I dont see why we dont try to tune that instead of the pistol for nostalgias sake. Either buff the pistol or buff the dmr but either way those are the only two that should be considered. I think 3sk pistol with 12 bullets in the clip or 4sk dmr with 12 bullets in the clip would do it.

This (both of you).

The Halo 5 DMR is simply too powerful to be a viable "utility" weapon.

"Too powerful" is a rather vague term.

First reply to the thread seems to nail it perfectly

Okay, but what if we don't get a 4sk pistol? Is the pistol viable enough then as a 5 shot with average RoF and 12 bullets per clip for the sacrifice of more viable options such as the BR start to be considered? It haunts me that they are trying to sell this as so Esports-savvy when we are having this conversation. The reason AR&Pistol worked was because the pistol was a 3 shot with a higher RoF than any other utility weapon in Halo since then. So yeah if they give us a 4 shot and it's a decent kill time that can always beat the AR at any range then I will take it, but we don't know that that's going to happen so why aren't we looking at this from the perspective of the current build we have. If you still believe that we should use the AR&Pistol in that scenario then I respect that completely but it's a complete different debate from: "I think it would be a great idea to make the game competitive out of the box by using the same starting load out across the board (which it is) and since the BR is a more viable weapon it would be great if the Pistol was patched so it is a 4sk." What?? Where did that come from? We don't know anything about the chance of the pistol being a 4sk...

I'm not a huge fan of spawning with a secondary, but I'll make an exception for AR/Pistol (if the pistol is strong enough, i.e. 4sk) for the sake of close-to-default settings. If the pistol isn't capable of holding it's own against automatics though, I think we'll have to go back to starting with a single precision weapon, and the BR/Pistol look like the best options. Pistol-only starts would probably only work if there were 5-6 utility weapons on the map to supplement it (or if the pistol was stronger).

• Upvote (+1) 2

The pistol in h1 the br in h2 both can hit at long range as well i dont see what the problem is being able to shoot across the map with the gun you start with. Especially with the limited rifles on the map. Theres nothing worse than seeing someone down the way and not being able to put some shots in because you dont spawn with a weapon that can hit them.

The Halo CE Magnum has a maximum range. Here's the proof.

In addition, I believe that the Halo PC Magnum (and maybe the Xbox version) used projectiles instead of hitscan, making it difficult to use at extreme ranges.

The Halo 2 BR's range was a problem, and was acknowledged by Bungie. Their method of "fixing" it in Halo 3 however, was subpar at best (adding random spread).

Honestly if the dmr had the aa/magnetism of the pistol in h5 it would be the better weapon. I dont see why we dont try to tune that instead of the pistol for nostalgias sake. Either buff the pistol or buff the dmr but either way those are the only two that should be considered. I think 3sk pistol with 12 bullets in the clip or 4sk dmr with 12 bullets in the clip would do it.

Why are we talking about tuning anything? We don't know if that will happen, shouldn't we be having the discussion of whether it's better to have AR&Pistol starts or the most competitive start, which IMO is the BR no secondary start, and the pro's and cons of those two options instead of saying wouldn't it be ideal if the pistol (which is supposed to be a secondary) was just as strong as the BR with a 4sk that we don't know if 343 will give us. The worst thing here is how in the dark we are as far as the starting loadouts that are going to be used for competitive, I almost feel like they don't want to break the news to us that we will have to use AR's and Pistols as starting weapons because of the potential backlash. 

I'm not a huge fan of spawning with a secondary, but I'll make an exception for AR/Pistol (if the pistol is strong enough, i.e. 4sk) for the sake of close-to-default settings. If the pistol isn't capable of holding it's own against automatics though, I think we'll have to go back to starting with a single precision weapon, and the BR/Pistol look like the best options.

Yes, but I don't like the idea of just spawning with a pistol, would much prefer a BR but that's just me.

The Halo CE Magnum has a maximum range. Here's the proof.

In addition, I believe that the Halo PC Magnum (and maybe the Xbox version) used projectiles instead of hitscan, making it difficult to use at extreme ranges.

The Halo 2 BR's range was a problem, and was acknowledged by Bungie. Their method of "fixing" it in Halo 3 however, was subpar at best (adding random spread).

CE's pistol did have a max range. But anywhere before that it could shred. Just because it has a max range doesn't mean it's bad in long range since it's max range is really far.

Btw "long range" isn't universal between games. It's relative to the maps being played on.

Why are we talking about tuning anything? We don't know if that will happen, shouldn't we be having the discussion of whether it's better to have AR&Pistol starts or the most competitive start, which IMO is the BR no secondary start, and the pro's and cons of those two options instead of saying wouldn't it be ideal if the pistol (which is supposed to be a secondary) was just as strong as the BR with a 4sk that we don't know if 343 will give us. The worst thing here is how in the dark we are as far as the starting loadouts that are going to be used for competitive, I almost feel like they don't want to break the news to us that we will have to use AR's and Pistols as starting weapons because of the potential backlash.

You are basically saying "don't fight for the best settings possible, just compromise!". See we aren't gonna give up on the beast settings possible that's the point.

You are basically saying "don't fight for the best settings possible, just compromise!". See we aren't gonna give up on the beast settings possible that's the point.

I could make that same point about sprint, thruster, etc. The point IMO is to make the best of what we have not what we wish we had, while trying to attract a larger casual audience. 

I could make that same point about sprint, thruster, etc. The point IMO is to make the best of what we have not what we wish we had, while trying to attract a larger casual audience.

And I believe that we should fix what we can and keep pushing. The reason we aren't fighting sprint is because they already said we are stuck with all that stuff for at least the first season. After that it's up for discussion. So come season 2 you bet your ass we will fight for removal of that stuff.

CE's pistol did have a max range. But anywhere before that it could shred. Just because it has a max range doesn't mean it's bad in long range since it's max range is really far.

The CE Magnum had long range, but it was difficult to snipe someone across the map with it because of its limited zoom and use of projectiles.

"Too powerful" is a rather vague term.

Too easy to cross-map snipe with at long range due to a combination of a high zoom and bullet magnetism. Better?

The CE Magnum had long range, but it was difficult to snipe someone across the map with it because of its limited zoom and use of projectiles.

Too easy to cross-map snipe with at long range due to a combination of a high zoom and bullet magnetism. Better?

So you want Br starts? Because based on skill it's pistol>DMR>BR. So what are you trying to say exactly?

So you want Br starts? Because based on skill it's pistol>DMR>BR. So what are you trying to say exactly?

Hm? What gave you that idea?

I want Magnum starts.

I'm arguing that DMR Starts are a bad idea.

...That's what I said.

So would people prefer AR&Pistol (pistol stays as it is and AR stays as it is) over BR? I think a lot of the people voting for AR&Pistol start with 4sk Pistol would rather see the BR being the starting weapon over the AR&Pistol if the pistol stays as it is. This is why I don't understand why we are even considering the 4sk Pistol at this point when we don't even know if it is going to happen. It's supposed to be it's own weapon, not the same as a BR (4sk 12 rounds or a DMR 5sk 15 rounds) or a DMR so I don't see them changing it to be closer to a weapon they already have.

The argument was pretty much "besides the pistol"

Go back through and reread the chain of quotes for clarity.

Here's a short summary of it:

Slayer wants DMR Starts. I'm arguing that we should not have DMR Starts.

My argument is that the DMR is too easy to cross-snipe with, as evident with Reach. Slayer is arguing that it's fine because Halo CE and Halo 2 had the Magnum and BR, which both had very long range.

I'm refuting that argument by saying that the Halo CE Magnum had long range potential, but it was fine because it was difficult to cross snipe with, whereas the Halo 2 BR's cross-map sniping was acknowledged as a problem by Bungie, who did a horrible job at attempting to nerf its range in Halo 3.

All in all, I'm advocating Magnum Starts.

Right now there are 101 votes for AR and Pistol that we don't know where would fall if it was confirmed that the AR and Pistol would not go through specific weapon tunings which haven't been announced, confirmed, denied or even publically acknowledged by 343i yet to the best of my knowledge.