TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

I'm not gonna sit here and go back and forth with you guys on something we will not agree on. We will just see when the game releases and the pros play it.

Are you BEAST or his brother?

Because if you're his brother, then get your own damn account.

This is already the third time My Namez BEAST has had this argument with random forum people.

Are you BEAST or his brother?

Because if you're his brother, then get your own damn account.

This is already the third time My Namez BEAST has had this argument with random forum people.

Lol whoops

A couple games where teams don't even really know the game yet isn't really proving anything. Seriously if you think the AR isn't gonna hurt competitive you just are in denial.

They had 2+ days of continuous practice with the game, and they used what was most powerful.

There was $10,000 on the line, if the AR was overpowered they would have used it.

Gunskill isn't the only skill in Halo. Having a great shot is nice but positioning, map knowledge, movement mastery are all equally as important. If you are losing to kids with ARs so much that its annoying, its because you are getting into engagements that you shouldn't be in. In fact the threat of a strong auto might force players to play smarter.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If the AR isn't over-powered I'm sure starting with a Pistol + Ar would would out great. The BR needs to be a lot easier to use or more powerful than the pistol or there's no reason to pick up Halo's most classic weapon.

But if the AR isn't over-powered but it's still relevant enough to be used 1/4 of the time over the pistol in high level competitive play, it's going to be awful to watch for spectators. Gamescom was very messy to watch.

I'd vote either Pistol or BR start, leave the ARs as map pickups.

Im glad you know me enough to say that he knows more than me. Seriously you don't know anything about me yet you make these claims? You're a funny guy.

Didn't see your name on this list: http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/Category:Coaches

Have you ever been to an event, or coached at all? Cause it seems you're just a keyboard warrior (like me, I will admit) who makes dumb claims - (unlike me, thankfully), that people like Tiberius have "never played or watched Halo before". Don't expect to not get called out on dumb shit like that.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Didn't see your name on this list: http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/Category:Coaches

Have you ever been to an event, or coached at all? Cause it seems you're just a keyboard warrior (like me, I will admit) who makes dumb claims - (unlike me, thankfully), that people like Tiberius have "never played or watched Halo before". Don't expect to not get called out on dumb shit like that.

Obviously he's played, the point is what you guys are saying makes no sense. I can't believe you guys are defending AR starts man I never thought I would see the day.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Gunskill isn't the only skill in Halo. Having a great shot is nice but positioning, map knowledge, movement mastery are all equally as important. If you are losing to kids with ARs so much that its annoying, its because you are getting into engagements that you shouldn't be in. In fact the threat of a strong auto might force players to play smarter.

The AR has the same ttk as the pistol, a faster average ttk and let's you weaken someone enough to finish with a melee more quickly. Can you not see how this will be a problem?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Add all the BR starts together and you still get more than half of the player base wanting BR starts (including myself). I personally want to keep it traditional and with a BR only start. From a spectators point of view, AR and pistol are not very exciting or fun to watch. It makes me ResidentSleeper.

Ya, pistol AR starts is insanely boring to watch in h5.

The AR has the same ttk as the pistol, a faster average ttk and let's you weaken someone enough to finish with a melee more quickly. Can you not see how this will be a problem?

Almost the same thing can be said with the AR in CE. It's KT was only .4 seconds slower than the 3sk Magnum, yet it wasn't an optimal utility weapon because of its range and spread. In H5, the AR's spread and power has been changed similarly to how it functioned in CE; as a situational weapon better fit for close combat ambushes. The Magnum's margin for error is indeed smaller in H5, but this is been addressed by making the weapon hitscan. If you got surprised by an AR wielder, you had better not miss.

Almost the same thing can be said with the AR in CE. It's KT was only .4 seconds slower than the 3sk Magnum, yet it wasn't an optimal utility weapon because of its range and spread. In H5, the AR's spread and power has been changed similarly to how it functioned in CE; as a situational weapon better fit for close combat ambushes. The Magnum's margin for error is indeed smaller in H5, but this is been addressed by making the weapon hitscan. If you got surprised by an AR wielder, you had better not miss.

If the Halo 5 AR is as inaccurate as CE's I would be a lot happier. Do you know if this is the case? Because if you look at a game of CE vs the Gamescon stats the difference in AR kills is pretty big. I just don't want AR ambushes/AR vs AR fights in a $1 million game. I'm not trying to be a dick (even though people assume something and post negatively at me) I just want the game to be as skillful as possible. If they gave the AR an ability outside of raw damage (like CE) then I could see the point of using. But as of now it seems more like a "it's not that bad" scenario.

The AR's power from the beta was reduced significantly. During Gamescom, the AR was mostly used as cleanup, or for an unsuspecting player being ambushed. None of the teams dared to keep the gun out, because they knew its limits. The Magnum was clearly the superior weapon in the starting loadout, so they had it out more than any other gun. More than the BRs, more than the DMRs, even more than the Shotgun and SMG.

BUT.

The AR, at the same time, is a formidable gun. It is made for putting pressure on your enemy in a close encounter, and it can lead to a melee if said enemy can't think fast enough to counter. You can pulse the trigger to scare off and deter the weak and unskilled, or even kill them for an embarrassing punishment. Truly, it is a niche weapon for the people who choose to wield it smartly. But, those same people will be smart enough to switch to the gun that matters; the Magnum.

So yeah. It's there for noobs to play with, and for experts to plan with.

The AR's power from the beta was reduced significantly. During Gamescom, the AR was mostly used as cleanup, or for an unsuspecting player being ambushed. None of the teams dared to keep the gun out, because they knew its limits. The Magnum was clearly the superior weapon in the starting loadout, so they had it out more than any other gun. More than the BRs, more than the DMRs, even more than the Shotgun and SMG.

BUT.

The AR, at the same time, is a formidable gun. It is made for putting pressure on your enemy in a close encounter, and it can lead to a melee if said enemy can't think fast enough to counter. You can pulse the trigger to scare off and deter the weak and unskilled, or even kill them for an embarrassing punishment. Truly, it is a niche weapon for the people who choose to wield it smartly. But, those same people will be smart enough to switch to the gun that matters; the Magnum.

So yeah. It's there for noobs to play with, and for experts to plan with.

Thanks for the input. I guess we will see how it plays out when the game launches. Forgive me if I am skeptical about some aspects of this game I just want it to play well.

Here's an idea: if a noob can't finish plays with the pistol, maybe he should fucking play a different playlist. Get better with the pistol in team slayer or something. Then come back and give HCS another shot once he feels he's got it. If they don't come back, then they never had a genuine interest in competitive Halo to begin with. If a player wants a weapon that makes his life a little easier, go find it on the map. But nooooo, apparently getting people to step up their game would make competitive Halo less *accessible* and not *noob-friendly* enough! We should give everyone an AR and a nice warm scratch behind the ears before they start each match, just so they don't feel uncared for.

Fuck the AR. Here's a question for you people - what do you think will actually happen if an unskilled pistol player is given an AR as a starting weapon in a playlist where he's outmatched by almost everyone else? He'll camp. He knows he's facing people well above his skill bracket. He doesn't want to take point and end up failing miserably because he lacks the gun skill to finish plays at range. He knows that the Halo 5 AR can hold its own in close quarters but isn't so good at range. Do the math. He'll go hide somewhere and play a very passive role in the match. That's not likely to be much fun for him either, and he'll quit anyway. Halo 5 is slower than shit as is - and as a result it's a bore to watch and play - and you people want to give everyone a short-ranged camping weapon off spawn because UNITY and ACCESSIBILTY!

This thread is ridiculous. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

.4 seconds is massive when we're talking about ~1.5 second kill times. People only used the AR if they were bad, out of pistol ammo, or going for a quick beatdown.

What do pros do when they fall behind on a map like Pit, Lockout, or Shrine?

They try to establish control, because if they don't, they'll fucking lose?

They camp until power weapons spawn or until they get a pick.

Oh, yes. Not committing to offensive pushes because the other team has map and power weapon control is entirely the same as camping in a corner because you can't aim a non-automatic weapon.

More the fact you're saying the "halo community" as a whole and not a select few from said community.

Off topic but your new avi is DansGame DansGame56.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is absolutely no reason we should be advocating for a spray weapon to be in the game when we have the option to have a heashot-capable main weapon and a headshot-capable sidearm.

Preach

There is absolutely no reason we should be advocating for a spray weapon to be in the game when we have the option to have a heashot-capable main weapon and a headshot-capable sidearm.

but the casuals! The mass appeal! /s

I try not to read this thread in that light usually but it gets pretty difficult sometimes

I've always been an advocate of making a weapon similar to the Lancer from Gears. It's an automatic, but precision at the same time. Just make it weaker than other precisions and require more than one bullet to finish with a headshot. That would be a great stepping stone for people who can't use non-autos and it would be completely unique from what we've had before. (I'm assuming no bloom since the Needle Rifle was similar, but the bloom made it pointless to fire full auto)

Week 2 and 3 were undeniably slower for high level players when the BR became a part of the starting loadout. Its role in H5 is meant to be an easier-to-use precision weapon if the Magnum is simply too difficult to work with. When it was already in your hands, everyone camped even harder. You honestly expect to have a better experience with it, when we already have proof of what happens if it's in the player's arsenal?

Camping, by the way, has always happened in Halo's life; even the beginning people were hiding underneath the stairs in Chill Out. But you know what happened? Those people lost and/or got destroyed for not moving, regardless if they had an AR, or a BR, or a Magnum, or a whatever-the-dick. Power Weapons were important to those matches, and they still are today; even more-so, since everyone in the game knows when they'll appear. Camping has never benefited the loser, and it never will. Besides, people wouldn't have to worry about getting stomped on if there's a ranking system.

In my opinion, I think people are arguing about the AR so much because it's sided with the Magnum. I'm willing to bet most of you guys would be fine if the game was BR/AR starts, and nothing else.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1