TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

Why the fuck would they name it the Sprint, they are trolls.

It's a software development phrase, used with Agile development. I'm not too familiar, but the basic concept is the studio is divided into teams, and each team is given a task. They have X amount of time (usually called a sprint) to get that task done. They're taking you through a sprints that different teams did. The episode about Midship was a sprint to make Midship playable.

Was wondering when pros were going to give their opinion. Though the response is pretty much expected. FS has always been an ambassador of sorts. 

His logic about the AR and SMG made no sense.

He said no AR because the SMG was too powerful, but people will grab the SMG either way, you pancake.

• Upvote (+1) 5

His logic about the AR and SMG made no sense.

He said no AR because the SMG was too powerful, but people will grab the SMG either way, you pancake.

Can't take his word for it, he's on r/halo... hes one of those kids.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Was wondering when pros were going to give their opinion. Though the response is pretty much expected. FS has always been an ambassador of sorts. 

At this point I am starting to lean towards pistol & AR starts but thinking about it everyone is going to have an AR which means all close range battles will be spray battles. I just don't think it will be skilled at all to be using an AR in close range, it never has been and probably never will be. 

giphy.gif

Having a 4SK pistol alone without the AR, and instead having all close quarter weapons on the map is wayyy more balanced than having an AR as a base utility. If it's left as a base utility all close range battles will be determined by who can pull out their AR and spray and pray faster. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point I am starting to lean towards pistol & AR starts but I'm thinking about it everyone is going to have an AR which means all close range battles will be spray battles. I just don't think it will be skilled at all to be using an AR in close range, it never has been and probably never will be.

giphy.gif

Having a 4SK pistol alone without the AR, and instead having all close quarter weapons on the map is wayyy more balanced than having an AR as a base utility. If it's left as a base utility all close range battles will be determined by who can pull out their AR and spray and pray faster.

This is what I have been saying.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This is what I have been saying.

Well somehow they still don't get it  :holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nope, all the people who voted BR+Pistol want the BR but would settle for a pistol with it. 

that makes no sense. you cant speek for all the people who voted that way so dont even try that bs. fact is the options with pistols got more votes, deal with it.

Seriously I don't understand it. There is no reason to start with an AR except that "it will make casuals watch".

I don't even think it will make things more exciting to watch.

Always got the feeling you were kinda ignorant, but this confirms it for me thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Time to take off the tinfoil hat, I think.

Been thinking about it. Keep Pistol as it is, AR/Pistol starts for everything, Pistol ONLY starts for Arena Core/HCS

Been thinking about it. Keep Pistol as it is, AR/Pistol starts for everything, Pistol ONLY starts for Arena Core/HCS

That's definitely an option. If we're to assume that no changes will be made to the balance of things, it may even be the best option. I would like to see uniform starting weapons across the game, though. I personally wouldn't mind pistol-only being universal, but there's no way that happens.

That's definitely an option. If we're to assume that no changes will be made to the balance of things, it may even be the best option. I would like to see uniform starting weapons across the game, though. I personally wouldn't mind pistol-only being universal, but there's no way that happens.

Would have been cool to make Pistol only universal but even I can admit that that is WAY too punishing on lower skilled players. Imagine a Iron/Bronze game with Pistol starts. No one would be able to aim

Pistol only for HCS means we don't have to buff it to compete with the AR and there is an incentive to pick up rifles.

You do realize that the pistol in it's current form isn't strong enough to defend itself from close range on map weapons such as the shotgun, SMG, and storm rifle right? The pistol needs to be buffed regardless if we keep the AR as a starting weapon or not because the pistol needs to be able to defend itself from the rest of the weapons in the sandbox. Unless you're suggesting for us to gut those niche weapons out of the sandbox also but then by doing so we would end up with a bland weapon sandbox for competitive play like we had for Halo 2 and Halo 3.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Hey thanks everybody for the warm welcome and all the Rep. :) Feels good that you guys enjoyed my first post.

I still prefere any loadout that doesnt include the BR and I still think that we dont need to cater to the casuals on this.

What "hold me back" or "scared me" first when going into competitive settings was the lack of a radar. This gave me more of a hard time than any starting weapon ever could. And no sprint/AAs will throw away casuals way more than the lack of a AR.

Anyway, lets look away from the HCS for one moment. Do we really need AR/Pistol in every game mode? (Doubles, Slayer, Squad Battle, Objective) I feel like there is meanwhile a huge BR fanbase from Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4. And like I admitted myself, I just enjoy playing with the BR a lot. I did enjoy it in the beta as well.

So even if Pistols are more competitive and we use them for HCS. Dont you guys think the BR and its fans deserve a place somewhere in Halo 5?

Have a nice weekend!

Hscuzl5.jpg

Schlimm, dass sich dieses deutschsprachige Pack jetzt überall breitmacht :wutface: (btw, I'm DARTH CEDIOUS, I think we "met" on waypoint once)

Ah yea, I think I asked you how the weather in Germany is in a sarcastic way without knowing that you are from there. ^^

Hey thanks everybody for the warm welcome and all the Rep. :) Feels good that you guys enjoyed my first post.

I still prefere any loadout that doesnt include the BR and I still think that we dont need to cater to the casuals on this.

What "hold me back" or "scared me" first when going into competitive settings was the lack of a radar. This gave me more of a hard time than any starting weapon ever could. And no sprint/AAs will throw away casuals way more than the lack of a AR.

Anyway, lets look away from the HCS for one moment. Do we really need AR/Pistol in every game mode? (Doubles, Slayer, Squad Battle, Objective) I feel like there is meanwhile a huge BR fanbase from Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4. And like I admitted myself, I just enjoy playing with the BR a lot. I did enjoy it in the beta as well.

So even if Pistols are more competitive and we use them for HCS. Dont you guys think the BR and its fans deserve a place somewhere in Halo 5?

Have a nice weekend!

Hscuzl5.jpg

Ah yea, I think I asked you how the weather in Germany is in a sarcastic way without knowing that you are from there. ^^

Ideally, we'd have starting weapons that everyone is happy with. There will always be people who are fans of BR starts but if we then start catering to that, we'll have people crying out for DMR starts or LightRifle starts and as a result, we'll end up with a lot of different playlists with different options because the developer chosen one isn't good enough for people.

That Beyond skin >>>>

Great, is it Custom Skin-time again :grunt:

uBVy26b.png

@@Lambo Yeah, that was me

And I do agree that there should be some BR or DMR start gametypes in TS

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some changes to weapons and more since the May build:

For us at 343, the tournament offered a variety of invaluable insights. The broadcast, production, and video teams are taking learnings from the show as we gear up for the presentation of Halo 5 esports at the Halo World Championship and beyond. For the multiplayer and sandbox teams, they’re currently evaluating things like Overshield timing and strength, weapon respawn time (both power weapon and non-default weapons), overall sandbox tuning, and more. Some things you saw at the Invitational have already been changed, such as the Shotgun ammo count/range and map lighting, and others are still being tuned. I also caught up with sandbox designer Chris King to discuss some of the other changes that have been made since the build you watched at gamescom:

Improved stick tuning (vastly improves ability to use the precision weapons)

BR: Reduced some of the randomness/spread/kick to make it more effective/consistent at range

Sniper: Reduced recoil and fixed some bugs that were introducing randomness/spread

Shotgun: Reduced effective range slightly

Misc. melee fixes

Fixed lots of bugs with physics impulses

Holy shit that was 8 solid minutes of rambling nonsense.

Could have at least brought something new to the table....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cool to see a BR buff, especially since it's looking like it'll be an on map pickup.

Pistol looked pretty good in Colleseum build, maybe a result of the stick tuning. Doubt we'll see any pistol changes at this point. Two months till Gold.