TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

My personal opinion on automatic weapons: THEY DO NOT BELONG IN HCS.

This playlist is meant to have the largest skill gap, SMG/AR look very easy to use, too easy. If there were less powerful I would be fine with them, but the way things stand people will be picking them up over BRs/Pistols/DMRs/whatever.

Either 343 need to A) seriously nerf these weapons, or B) do not put them in HCS settings

Either one works for me.

Amen Father Penguin

I personally dont understand how anyone can advocate for spawning with an AR, whether it be a secondary or not. I dont care how easy a BR is to use, it will never be easier then spraying with an AR. IMO this recent invitational was incredibly boring to watch, especially when people were spraying with the AR/smg. I am also really sick of this "jarring" word. How about instead of the base game being AR starts, its BR starts. That way its not so "jarring". Problem solved.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Given that you spawn with the pistol, from the competitive perspective it shouldn't function like a secondary. At present it has a very similar kill time to the rifles but is lacking in both aim assist range (ease of use) and more importantly as a detractor clip size (damage output). Rifles should IMO create their own niche through range / ease of use. I agree with 4sk because it's basically a way of increasing the potential damage output to 3 perfect kills whilst also differentiating itself to the rifles by having a notably quicker kill time.

snip

In simple terms, I think the Pistol needs to be buffed to 3 kills per clip, however they choose to accomplish this. If you hit 12 perfect shots in a row, I believe you deserve 3 kills. Given the speed with which players can move around the map but maintaining gunskill requirements I think reducing ROF and extending the clip to 15 rounds is another choice.

However, I've said this multiple times throughout the forums. If you decide on Pistols, BR+DMR CANNOT spawn on the map. Period. The number of encounters I saw even in the invitational where one player was using the pistol and the other player was using a BR, DMR, AR, or SMG was just totally unacceptable. This is especially true if BR + DMR have range advantages that put even highly skilled players at a disadvantage.

Expanding the rifle sandbox simply randomizes the gameplay. Imagine competitive Halo basically turning into Action Sack. It creates situations where the player with the most gunskill, and even superior positioning does not win the majority of 1v1 battles simply because of the (almost random) choice of a rifle weapon on the map. It fractures the experience so that viewers have a hard time doing simple comparisons (how do you compare one player using a DMR and another pistol'ing?). It affects the individual meta of the game because at the highest levels 1v1's will be decided by the weapon you choose and not how well you aim or strafe.

• Upvote (+1) 9

In simple terms, I think the Pistol needs to be buffed to 3 kills per clip, however they choose to accomplish this. If you hit 12 perfect shots in a row, I believe you deserve 3 kills. Given the speed with which players can move around the map but maintaining gunskill requirements I think reducing ROF and extending the clip to 15 rounds is another choice.

However, I've said this multiple times throughout the forums. If you decide on Pistols, BR+DMR CANNOT spawn on the map. Period. The number of encounters I saw even in the invitational where one player was using the pistol and the other player was using a BR, DMR, AR, or SMG was just totally unacceptable. This is especially true if BR + DMR have range advantages that put even highly skilled players at a disadvantage.

Expanding the rifle sandbox simply randomizes the gameplay. Imagine competitive Halo basically turning into Action Sack. It creates situations where the player with the most gunskill, and even superior positioning does not win the majority of 1v1 battles simply because of the (almost random) choice of a rifle weapon on the map. It fractures the experience so that viewers have a hard time doing simple comparisons (how do you compare one player using a DMR and another pistol'ing?). It affects the individual meta of the game because at the highest levels 1v1's will be decided by the weapon you choose and not how well you aim or strafe.

Holy crap THANK YOU! This is the truth! People read this please
  • Upvote (+1) 1

i legitimately support this post.

EDIT: i support the first part about the 3sk pistol, that must happen.  with that being said ive always wanted to see a real battle between a 3sk pistol and a 4sk br, the dmr is too easy to use fk that gun.

Expanding the rifle sandbox simply randomizes the gameplay. Imagine competitive Halo basically turning into Action Sack. It creates situations where the player with the most gunskill, and even superior positioning does not win the majority of 1v1 battles simply because of the (almost random) choice of a rifle weapon on the map. It fractures the experience so that viewers have a hard time doing simple comparisons (how do you compare one player using a DMR and another pistol'ing?). It affects the individual meta of the game because at the highest levels 1v1's will be decided by the weapon you choose and not how well you aim or strafe.

It's because of this that it's just best we all spawn with BRs/ARs. It makes everything so much less complicated. Anyone with a BR/DMR will have a huge advantage over enemies spawning with a pistol, it's not what we want in competitive settings at all. People are so hung up on this pistol/AR thing out of CE nostalgia and they're not able to accurately assess what the game will turn into with these settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My personal opinion on automatic weapons: THEY DO NOT BELONG IN HCS.

This playlist is meant to have the largest skill gap, SMG/AR look very easy to use, too easy. If there were less powerful I would be fine with them, but the way things stand people will be picking them up over BRs/Pistols/DMRs/whatever.

Either 343 need to A) seriously nerf these weapons, or B ) do not put them in HCS settings

Either one works for me.

Imo expand that to option C) Buff the pistol/precision weapons

this would reduce the relative strength of the automatic weapons while still keeping the ttk low ;)

I seriously don't understand why we need unified competitive and casual settings. The competitive playlist should be all about making the game as skillful as possible whereas the social is all about making everybody happy. This decision may be one of the worst things that could happen to Halo.

I seriously don't understand why we need unified competitive and casual settings. The competitive playlist should be all about making the game as skillful as possible whereas the social is all about making everybody happy. This decision may be one of the worst things that could happen to Halo.

We need it because all successful eSports titles are literally the exact same game played casually or competitively. No casual player can relate to watching a no sprint, no bloom, DMR/BR fest with settings changed. It's too high of a barrier for entry. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We need it because all successful eSports titles are literally the exact same game played casually or competitively. No casual player can relate to watching a no sprint, no bloom, DMR/BR fest with settings changed. It's too high of a barrier for entry.

All competitive games? Literally every game has different settings than competitive, they are just in different playlists. Just like Halo. CS:GO? Has Casual, Deathmatch, Arms Race, Demolition AND competitive. Yes the competitive playlist has the same settings but that's not the only playlist. Every game has multiple playlists with different settings and then a competitive playlist. Can people please stop saying other games have "universal settings" because they don't. At all.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It's because of this that it's just best we all spawn with BRs/ARs. It makes everything so much less complicated. Anyone with a BR/DMR will have a huge advantage over enemies spawning with a pistol, it's not what we want in competitive settings at all. People are so hung up on this pistol/AR thing out of CE nostalgia and they're not able to accurately assess what the game will turn into with these settings.

In the name of clarity and brevity:

The Magnum is better than the BR.

Fin.

The long version:

The Magnum kills faster than the BR.

The Magnum functions better at ranges exceeding both respective RRRs than the BR (binary hit/miss, no partial damage).

The Magnum is more difficult to use at all ranges than the BR.

In terms of raw TTK the AR is closer to the BR than it is to the Magnum, which will only exacerbate any current issues with the AR being too strong.

These are the facts. By advocating for the BR from the approach of a range issue you're completely overlooking the fact that the consistency of the pistol massively outweighs the 0.5x difference in magnification strength (1.5x zoom on the handgun, 2x on the rifle). The DMR does have a significant range advantage, however that's a different discussion entirely. It has nothing to do with CE nostalgia and everything to do with the fact that (once again) the Battle Rifle is unequivocally the worst precision weapon in the game, and those of in the pistol camp simply have had enough of spawning with weapons that don't meet our expectations of efficacy.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yea the last Reach event totally failed in comparison to the "National Championship" with shitty pre-TU settings.

Why don't people vote what they would actually want to play instead of trying to please people that aren't going to be watching anyway?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So across a few topics I've seen this pop up several times and I wanted to gather everyone's general consensus of what people thought and would prefer into one thread! I've set DMR at the bottom of the poll as I think it's a good ranged weapon to have on the map but don't think it would come above any of the other combinations above it (but that's just me) please feel free to say if you do think DMR is viable to start with.

Please remember this is a constructive feedback thread and based around the arena Esports playlist/rule set!

In regards to the poll, I'd rather see the Pistol's rate of fire increased so that it can hit a 1 second kill time (from its 1.2 seconds kill time) while keeping it as 5 shot kill. That way, it retains its identity as a "skill" weapon by rewarding good aim and allowing it to overturn duels against other rifles.

That gives the BR a reason to be picked up, since you're exchanging said kill time and a faster reload speed for enough ammo capacity to kill 3 players, marking its position as a "safe" weapon that's easier to use.

Practically speaking, the inability to kill 3 players in a row isn't that much of a handicap. Players really shouldn't be engaging 3 enemies alone with only a Pistol in the first place.

As for the DMR, it's in a good position. If the Pistol were buffed, it would still be picked up because of its longer range and higher ammo capacity. However, currently, the DMR has the same kill time as the Pistol, which is an issue since that makes it a direct upgrade to it.

Have any of your posts ever added anything valuable to discussions?

Yeah, I have posted to you twice with detailed posts. (this post isn't very detailed though)

The question is, have you? Me and Vin are friends. It was a casual jab. Cool it pal. All I have seen you post is complete false info about H1 half the time.

This is really a minor thing. Personally, if we are going to roll with pistol/Ar, I would rather spawn with pistol as my primary and AR as my secondary. Coming off spawns I would rather have my precision weapon ready rather than an AR. Not a big deal but something I would personally prefer. Would that work? Or would that somehow ruin it for the casual audience because they don't see an AR present?

I think AR and Pistol is the way to go so it makes some use of the placements of the BR and DMR on the maps so if they have the power weapons you at least have something to fall back on to use strategies and make a comeback. 

No matter what situation your in Halo there should always be a way out if there isn't then the game will get boring real fast :(