TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

It's stupid. The only thing that will keep people going is the one million dollar tournament. This game isn't even fun for people anymore which is the main reason why the community was so large back in the day. We all truly loved playing the game and we loved competing. Now it's just frustrating because instead of it just be my team against another, it's my team vs another vs 343.

I'm really tired of this "Let's just play and see how it is" mentality 343 has started with. They did the same thing with Ricochet (thank god it got taken out before the tournament) despite the entire communities decision to not have it in the settings.

All that being said, I'm on board for the buffed pistol.

I would prefer a BR start, but I'm not opposed to the buffed pistol either.

It's a damn shame we can't play a game as fans without having something dumb happen. 343 is too focused on making the game what they want it to be and not letting people just play how they want. If there was no $1 million tourney everyone would be slamming the games settings. Being optimistic doesn't make a game better.

It's stupid. The only thing that will keep people going is the one million dollar tournament. This game isn't even fun for people anymore which is the main reason why the community was so large back in the day. We all truly loved playing the game and we loved competing. Now it's just frustrating because instead of it just be my team against another, it's my team vs another vs 343.

I'm really tired of this "Let's just play and see how it is" mentality 343 has started with. They did the same thing with Ricochet (thank god it got taken out before the tournament) despite the entire communities decision to not have it in the settings.

All that being said, I'm on board for the buffed pistol. 

I would prefer a BR start, but I'm not opposed to the buffed pistol either.

Agreed we're already dealing with sprint and sa's for some reason. At least lets us spawn with competitive weapons.

After I posted I realised, oh shit, he's gonna eat me alive because I didn't mention the other qualities of the CE sandbox. Haha. I was too slow with the edit. :(

Lol but at least you knew it had other roles. That's what Halo is missing now. It's not that I'm against every weapon I'm just against the fact that we have too much of the same thing.

I still don't understand why people would prefer a BR start over the pistol. the pistol is the stronger, more difficult weapon even before being buffed to a 4sk. The pistols decreased range and higher difficulty will also allow more aggressive play. BR starts will probably just lead to slow gameplay and standoffs... Again.

"Will probably". No one knows this for sure and I'd argue that the game will be incredibly slow and standoffy at a high level just because of how Halo 5 is designed. It doesnt matter what we spawn with.

I still don't understand why people would prefer a BR start over the pistol. the pistol is the stronger, more difficult weapon even before being buffed to a 4sk. The pistols decreased range and higher difficulty will also allow more aggressive play. BR starts will probably just lead to slow gameplay and standoffs... Again.

The current pistol doesn't have enough rounds in the magazine to make it a viable utility weapon for one. The range leaves a lot to be desired and can become problematic vs long distance weapons such as the sniper and dmr. Also the average kill time needs a lot of work to help with sprint and thruster. It can be easily argued that the BR/Dmr is better for high level play than the current pistol, if/when the buff happens it will be a completely different story. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

The current pistol doesn't have enough rounds in the magazine to make it a viable utility weapon for one. The range leaves a lot to be desired and can become problematic vs long distance weapons such as the sniper and dmr. Also the average kill time needs a lot of work to help with sprint and thruster. It can be easily argued that the BR/Dmr is better for high level play than the current pistol, if/when the buff happens it will be a completely different story. 

This is because the Magnum as a longer Average TTK despire having a marginally faster Optimal TTK. The BR/DMR are better simply because the Magnum is outclassed by everything. It's Opt TTK is insignificantly better than what is the Avg TTK of easier to use weapons, resulting in the reward for using the weapon isn't worth the risk.

This looks hella fast...

I'm in love with this thing. How many perfect kills were there with the pistol at gamescom? I only noticed like 2. 4sk pistol without any other change, or with a slight AA nerf if necessary to keep avg. TTK in line with the other utilities, would be the best starting weapon since CE  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 8

5sk with increased RoF is more skillful. Also, its the buff that the magnum will be getting, so i wouldnt worry about the 4sk buff.

5sk with increased RoF is more skillful. Also, its the buff that the magnum will be getting, so i wouldnt worry about the 4sk buff.

What would the KT be? 

What would the KT be? 

i would say the KT should remain as it is if thats not the issue, more shots=more skill required to hit the shots. 4 shot pistol is just too similar to the br strength. its just weird.

Take a BR for example, itt kills in 4 headshots. If you put it up against a pistol, the pistol should require more shots because its a smaller gun, and it historically has required more shots than a BR. Leave the KT SLIGHTLY less than a BR and leave it 5shot, its balanced, and the better shooter will win every time.

Also, they've had the pistol as 5shot in both the beta and the invitational. I get the vibe that the invitational was more or less the foundation of what we can expect upon launch.

i would say the KT should remain as it is if thats not the issue, more shots=more skill required to hit the shots. 4 shot pistol is just too similar to the br strength. its just weird.

Take a BR for example, itt kills in 4 headshots. If you put it up against a pistol, the pistol should require more shots because its a smaller gun, and it historically has required more shots than a BR. Leave the KT SLIGHTLY less than a BR and leave it 5shot, its balanced, and the better shooter will win every time.

Also, they've had the pistol as 5shot in both the beta and the invitational. I get the vibe that the invitational was more or less the foundation of what we can expect upon launch.

Except if the kill times are too close the BR will win because the pistols actual average ttk will be higher. They can't be that close in perfect ttk since the pistols average ttk is a lot higher than the BR's
  • Upvote (+1) 1

A smaller gun has nothing to do with the amount of shots, even in real life. A Deagle can kill someone in fewer shots because the rounds are much bigger than a standard rifle which uses a 5.56mm round.

The CE magnum is described as using huge explosive rounds, which is why it is so powerful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And how many SMG kills?

Definitely quite a few (I didn't add them up as I was just focusing on AR/Pistol kills) 

I definitely wouldn't mind if they nerfed it.

We don't quite know the state of the SMG as of yet. In B-Roll as well as Beta it has always had bloom to nerf its power at range. Gamescom build obviously didn't have bloom but we haven't seen SMG gameplay in the most recent build.

Personally I hope they keep its power and just bring back the bloom, it made the weapon a lot more situational and more of a weapon to keep in your back pocket than to carry around the map and tear people up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think there's a vast overestimation of the effective range gap between the Magnum and BR going on these last few pages. Remember that the beta gameplay is a poor representation because of the flinching and the bug which prevented proper aiming of the Magnum while shooting.

5sk with increased RoF is more skillful.

Only true in a vacuum. The more shots you add to kill the less consequential each missed shot becomes. I think it was @@TrueHaloMaster who had a post a while back on the MLG forums which explained why 3 shots is ideal; basically it came down to asserting that an odd number of shots to kill reduces the efficiency of teamshooting whilst making the headshot much more consequential - you miss the headshot in a duel and the opponent is that much closer to being able to score their own headshot.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Q4MOHwX.gif

I'd neg your shitpost but I got suspended for 3 days (...and had my avatar/sig removed? :lol: ) the last time I negged an unfunny gif.

As long as Halo esports has been popular, the starting weapon has been a BR. The pistol is just not as exciting to watch/look at in its current state. Could that change? Maybe, but I think BR starts are the way to go to maximize viewer interest.

• Downvote (-1) 5

I'd neg your shitpost but I got suspended for 3 days (...and had my avatar/sig removed? :lol: ) the last time I negged an unfunny gif.

As long as Halo esports has been popular, the starting weapon has been a BR. The pistol is just not as exciting to watch/look at in its current state. Could that change? Maybe, but I think BR starts are the way to go to maximize viewer interest.

Let's take a walk down memory lane son. Do you know what game MLG and the American e-sports scene started with? Halo CE. Right. What weapon did it have? A mother truckin  3SK Magnum.

Let's take a walk down memory lane son. Do you know what game MLG and the American e-sports scene started with? Halo CE. Right. What weapon did it have? A mother truckin  3SK Magnum.

I'm well aware of that. But Halo 2 and 3 were the games that made MLG Halo mainstream. Could CE have worked as a mainstream esports title? Maybe. We'll never know. What we do know is, the two games with BRs were by far the most successful in terms of esports viewership and popularity.

• Downvote (-1) 3