TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

Dude nothing you have said makes any sense at all. And this statement tops them all off. What the hell are you talking about?

im trying to say that the br has a place as a starting weapon...they should rotate br pistol starts and ar pistol starts like they do the maps...i was trying to say to my friend twin up there that just because something is a little harder to use doesnt always mean its the most appropriate starting weapon

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

im trying to say that the br has a place as a starting weapon...they should rotate br pistol starts and ar pistol starts like they do the maps...i was trying to say to my friend twin up there that just because something is a little harder to use doesnt always mean its the most appropriate starting weapon

The problem with the BR is simply that it's not just "a little" easier, it's waaaaay too easy. However, I do understand that based on what a utility weapon should be, the BR fills the role better than the pistol. But I still think buffing the pistol is the best bet.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The problem with the BR is simply that it's not just "a little" easier, it's waaaaay too easy. However, I do understand that based on what a utility weapon should be, the BR fills the role better than the pistol. But I still think buffing the pistol is the best bet.

oh come on man its not way to easy...the ar is way to easy....the reason i say its not way easier to use than the pistol is because of the pistols fire rate and single shot consistancy its not all that difficult to land the first 4 shots...its really just the last shot thats sometimes hard to do...the br on the other hand may be easier to land indiUidual shots with because its burst fire but because it is burst fire your not always gonna get a full contact shot...it makes the final head shot easier to get but not always the first 3...atleast not full contact...so you haUe use it differantly than the pistol...but like i said i dont see the harm in weapon rotation...i think it would

make the game oUerall a much better experiance

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

im trying to say that the br has a place as a starting weapon...

Not if we're trying to craft settings which maximize the skill gap.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not if we're trying to craft settings which maximize the skill gap

theres more to the game then just maximizing the skill gap...theres more that 343 can do to increase the skill gap but that wouldnt be balanced...theres alot of differant players with alot of differant skill leUels and preferences...crafting a game wholly for the purpose of increasing the skill gap is a bad idea which is why im not gonna try to argue just for br pistol starts or pistol only..now i feel that the loadout rotation would be more appropriate more balanced and a much more enjoyable experiance while still being Uery competitiUe

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The problem with the BR is simply that it's not just "a little" easier, it's waaaaay too easy.

This is how i feel when i dont get a game of swatnums. I can simply point and shoot in (roughly) someone's general direction and they drop with BR and it gets quite boring. The weapon feels enjoyable to use, but it rarely feels like i am outplaying someone when i use it. (SWAT and Arena)

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is how i feel when i dont get a game of swatnums. I can simply point and shoot in (roughly) someone's general direction and they drop with BR and it gets quite boring. The weapon feels enjoyable to use, but it rarely feels like i am outplaying someone when i use it. (SWAT and Arena)

Yoo exactly! SWATnums is actually really enjoyable. Unfortunately regular SWAT is complete ass. I don't get why they felt the need to make this one playlist have BR starts.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I would keep it how it is currently. I dont get why everyone wants the pistol 4sk and the AR nerfed. Am I the only one finding it easy to outgun the AR everytime with the pistol? And people wanting BR starts in my opinion are strictly thinking with there emotions. What I would change is to make it so that whichever starting weapon you happend to hold last before you died would be the one you spawned holding on your next life with the other AR/pistol as backup. I would 100% change the pistol audio though. It sounds like a weak laser gun. Not intimidating or satisfying at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

theres more to the game then just maximizing the skill gap

There's where the disagreement lies. I want the competitive settings to be as competitive as they possibly can (maximizing the skill gap).

That's why I will not support BR starts.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's where the disagreement lies. I want the competitive settings to be as competitive as they possibly can (maximizing the skill gap).

I think it has become pretty clear that there aren't many people left on here that care about maximizing the skill gap.

The problem is that the pistol is weak and that weakness results in players not being able to make plays they would have been able to make with an actual utility weapon like the BR or the DMR.

Even if out-shooting a guy would have required more skill in a pistol battle, how often do you even have pistol vs pistol in this game?

The current meta in this game heavily promotes taking the easy way out of avoiding pistol vs pistol at all costs and abusing automatics as much as possible.

If players had a weapon they wouldn't have to cower in fear with, they could actually make plays instead of having to fear that guy crouching in the corner zoomed with his AR or the clip running out after killing one guy and getting cleaned up while reloading.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it has become pretty clear that there aren't many people left on here that care about maximizing the skill gap.

The problem is that the pistol is weak and that weakness results in players not being able to make plays they would have been able to make with an actual utility weapon like the BR or the DMR.

Even if out-shooting a guy would have required more skill in a pistol battle, how often do you even have pistol vs pistol in this game?

The current meta in this game heavily promotes taking the easy way out of avoiding pistol vs pistol at all costs and abusing automatics as much as possible.

If players had a weapon they wouldn't have to cower in fear with, they could actually make plays instead of having to fear that guy crouching in the corner zoomed with his AR or the clip running out after killing one guy and getting cleaned up while reloading.

What game have you been playing? The vast majority of fights I get in are pistol fights. I love it when someone tries to challenge with the AR because at close range it's really not difficult to get a perfect kill and the weapons are balanced that you can do that without dying to an AR person. Add how easy it is to throw off an automatic weapons aim with thruster and I don't see the problem. When I play, I don't see people cowering with the pistol at all. The only time I'll even worry about challenging with the pistol is against the dmr or light rifle at a very long range, and that is how it feels most people at least in diamond/plat level seem to play. I think kill times are a little too long, but I'm a CE man through and through. However, with teamshooting, it's insanely easy to drop people virtually instantly with just pistols. I'd bet money that I get killed via pistol more than 3 times as much as the AR.

Also, skill gap is still insanely important and the br is insanely easy to use. I'm adamantly against br starts. With the br it feels like a guaranteed 4sk, where as with the pistol, you have to work for it. If anything, I wish there was a few less brs around the map because when I'm playing like a noob in tilt, it feels impossible to out shoot the easy to use br.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Im not bad with the pistol at all but I have to agree I enjoy playing the game with BR starts more than pistol. I understand that we want to make this game competitive but at a certain point you still want the game to be fun too. I personally want BR/Pistol no radar. At the game's current state we have radar which I think most people agree should go, we have ARs as a starting weapon this is a gun that takes no skill to use and encourages people to hide around corners. Pistol is competitive but just not that fun to me. I feel like with BR starts I can out BR one person an another, but the pistol feel like at best you can make someone half to one shot after a kill. Also I see many battles not being pistol vs pistol. I feel like a lot of the so called fans have asked for AR/Pistol but I also feel like a huge portion of those fans are the ones that play mainly playing warzone and campaign. I personally loved the BR from the Beta and it's what made me so hyped for this game. It felt like it was the fastest TTK and made everything seem quicker. The beta seemed a lot more smooth in general too.

What game have you been playing? The vast majority of fights I get in are pistol fights. I love it when someone tries to challenge with the AR because at close range it's really not difficult to get a perfect kill and the weapons are balanced that you can do that without dying to an AR person. Add how easy it is to throw off an automatic weapons aim with thruster and I don't see the problem. When I play, I don't see people cowering with the pistol at all. The only time I'll even worry about challenging with the pistol is against the dmr or light rifle at a very long range, and that is how it feels most people at least in diamond/plat level seem to play. I think kill times are a little too long, but I'm a CE man through and through. However, with teamshooting, it's insanely easy to drop people virtually instantly with just pistols. I'd bet money that I get killed via pistol more than 3 times as much as the AR.

Also, skill gap is still insanely important and the br is insanely easy to use. I'm adamantly against br starts. With the br it feels like a guaranteed 4sk, where as with the pistol, you have to work for it. If anything, I wish there was a few less brs around the map because when I'm playing like a noob in tilt, it feels impossible to out shoot the easy to use br.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you've been playing against noobs. The skill difference in plat and diamond can be absolutely massive at times, so you'll find some terrible players that you can out pistol in any situation for sure.

Numbers don't lie, and the AR and the pistol have the same perfect kill time (1.2 vs 1.2, so even if you hit all of your shots you'll get a trade at bes

t).

This means that in it's effective range it is simply superior to the pistol because it is easier to use. I've gotten kills from base to silo on fathom in regular kills, so that effective range is pretty much on par with the pistol too.

Just because you can still beat lesser players doesn't prove that the AR isn't stronger than the pistol is. Try the same thing against equal or better players and prepare to find despair.

I've been enjoying Halo 5 much more than I thought possible. The game has the most competitive viable maps for 4v4s on launch compared to any Halo game except CE. The pistol is a rewarding, skillful starting weapon (the perfect medal is sooo satisfying). The movements feel crisp and the Spartan abilities like ground pound or charge aren't OP like I worried pre-launch. Strongholds is actually a fun new gametype.

Now I come back to these forums to find people wanting BR starts. What happened to the competitive Halo community? The H5 BR is way too easy to use and has a slower kill time than the pistol. If people are bothered by AR users, then advocate pistol only starts. All it takes is a few games of SWAT to figure out that the BR is too easy. Regular SWAT is a joke compared to SWATnums.

Long before the BR was the standard bearer for competitive Halo 2/3, the pistol was known as the iconic starting weapon. Maybe I'm getting too old, but does no one remember Halo 1 anymore? Halo didn't start with Halo 2 or 3. We don't need BR starts for competitive Halo. I understand most people's first competitive Halo game was probably Halo 2 or 3. However, we can't allow some of our community members' nostalgic obsession with BR starts to become a detriment to Halo 5's competitive future. Halo 5 isn't the best Halo game, but it has some great ingredients, which will only improve over time (more gametypes, forge, and DLC maps). Let's not curb this game's competitive potential by forcing an easy gun as the starting weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like if the pistol doesn't get buffed something needs to change. Either remove every other gun that isn't a power weapon so the Pistol can be the only viable utility weapon or just make it BR starts. Right now it doesn't feel like we have that true utility weapon because of how many we have. Honestly, the BR is easier than the pistol but its still harder than the BR from Halo 4 and H2A. Especially if you increase the base speed to 110% and the strafe acceleration to 130%.

I also do not support automatics in competitive settings.

The pistol is too weak and limits the individual/increases the reliance of teamshooting (I have been saying this about every utility weapon in Halo since h2). Replacing the pistol with a gun that has a slower kill time (BR, DMR) will not solve this problem.

Rather, adjusting the damage/resistance settings to buff the pistol to a 4sk while removing all weapons that will be broken due to this change (AR, BR, etc...) is the best way to achieve a solution here.

After that, all we need to do is turn off all spartan abilities, place the power items on faster timers, and we will have a respectable competitive experience with Halo again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't it a bad sign when to implement the BR as the starting weapon, we need to increase the strafe speed to compensate for the BR's ease of use?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't it a bad sign when to implement the BR as the starting weapon, we need to increase the strafe speed to compensate for the BR's ease of use?

Even doing that wouldn't fix all the inherent flaws that gun has. BR starts would be Halo 4/2A all over again.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but you've been playing against noobs. The skill difference in plat and diamond can be absolutely massive at times, so you'll find some terrible players that you can out pistol in any situation for sure.

Numbers don't lie, and the AR and the pistol have the same perfect kill time (1.2 vs 1.2, so even if you hit all of your shots you'll get a trade at bes

t).

This means that in it's effective range it is simply superior to the pistol because it is easier to use. I've gotten kills from base to silo on fathom in regular kills, so that effective range is pretty much on par with the pistol too.

Just because you can still beat lesser players doesn't prove that the AR isn't stronger than the pistol is. Try the same thing against equal or better players and prepare to find despair.

So your solution to the AR being too strong is to give us a starting weapon with a slower kill time? If anything, the only fix we need is to either make it only pistol starts, or nerf the AR damage slightly. BR starts will totally kill the competitive potential of this game. Listen to Fanatic 66. The BR shouldn't define halo just because it did in the past, and if your argument is its easier to use, stick to warzone or learn to use the pistol better.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For some reason, I can't quote people, but I agree with My Namez is Beast. It astounds me members of the Halo competitive community want to an easy gun as the starting weapon. I couldn't ever bring myself to watch H2A because how boring it was and same with H4. Those games had small skill gaps in regards to shooting thanks to the BR. That was the dark age of Halo, so why are we trying to stay in that dark age? 343i gave us a skillful, rewarding utility weapon so lets work around the pistol, not the easy to use BR.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For some reason, I can't quote people, but I agree with My Namez is Beast. It astounds me members of the Halo competitive community want to an easy gun as the starting weapon. I couldn't ever bring myself to watch H2A because how boring it was and same with H4. Those games had small skill gaps in regards to shooting thanks to the BR. That was the dark age of Halo, so why are we trying to stay in that dark age? 343i gave us a skillful, rewarding utility weapon so lets work around the pistol, not the easy to use BR.

This is the truth. Not only that, but doesn't the BR have a 1.6 second kill time? Why would we possibly want to increase the kill time? That makes no sense. Halo has always (or used to) placed an emphasis on individual skill as well as teamwork. The sniper is already super easy to use, let's not make our utility weapon a joke too.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Im surprised at the amount of votes Br starts has. I thought the BR was way to easy to use? why would we want that? pistol/AR starts seems to be the way to go, and hopefully we can get a 4sk pistol or some other form of buff to it to make it better. The AR finally seems to be a useful weapon, and with a buffed pistol i think it would fit in perfectly. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im surprised at the amount of votes Br starts has. I thought the BR was way to easy to use? why would we want that? pistol/AR starts seems to be the way to go, and hopefully we can get a 4sk pistol or some other form of buff to it to make it better. The AR finally seems to be a useful weapon, and with a buffed pistol i think it would fit in perfectly. 

That is if 343 decides to give us a 4sk pistol. I'd be all for it too but I just have a bad feeling it won't happen. I hope it does though. However AR starts need to go, it just isn't interesting to watch at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even doing that wouldn't fix all the inherent flaws that gun has. BR starts would be Halo 4/2A all over again.

eUeryone is entitled to their opinion but i really dont think it was the br that caused problems in those games

dude if you only focus on haUing the most hardcore competitiUe settings in a game and neglect eUerything else then halo 5 will face the same problem as halo 4 just for opposite reasons...balance in a games accessibility and competitiUe merit is how halo 5 will surUiUe in my opinion