TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

This push for a diversity of weapon play in competitive isn't too appealing to me at the moment. I prefer to simpler approach to competitive gameplay rather than players having 1v1 fights with SMGs and ARs that aren't difficult to use at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

This push for a diversity of weapon play in competitive isn't too appealing to me at the moment. I prefer to simpler approach to competitive gameplay rather than players having 1v1 fights with SMGs and ARs that aren't difficult to use at all.

Yup
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The push for diversity is completely justified. AR and SMG are the wrong type of diversity, though. The storm rifle should be the automatic weapon (on map, not starting) in competitive Halo, because there's at least some skill with the trigger involved, not just point and empty the clip until they fall.

Never thought i would see the day people wanted an AR in the Competitive scene....

Indeed, it's trash. I can't think of anything in Halo that's more grating to watch or participate in than an AR fight.

The push for diversity is completely justified. AR and SMG are the wrong type of diversity, though. The storm rifle should be the automatic weapon (on map, not starting) in competitive Halo, because there's at least some skill with the trigger involved, not just point and empty the clip until they fall.

Indeed, it's trash. I can't think of anything in Halo that's more grating to watch or participate in than an AR fight.

A Needler fight

Never thought i would see the day people wanted an AR in the Competitive scene....

I'm just as confused as you are. I fully support starting with a pistol only, and have BR/DRM's placed on the map, but starting with an AR in HCS...? I just don't see the benefits of lowering the skill gap in HCS to get more players involved. Just go back to H3, MLG settings were nothing like default H3, yet it was easily the most successful Halo for there events and viewership. I've never, not once been excited watching a player, including pro players, kill some one with an AR. It's just not fun to use or watch in competitive Halo. But that's my opinion.. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

DMR only. BR is too fluky

BR requires more team shot at longer ranges though

I'm just as confused as you are. I fully support starting with a pistol only, and have BR/DRM's placed on the map, but starting with an AR in HCS...? I just don't see the benefits of lowering the skill gap in HCS to get more players involved. Just go back to H3, MLG settings were nothing like default H3, yet it was easily the most successful Halo for there events and viewership. I've never, not once been excited watching a player, including pro players, kill some one with an AR. It's just not fun to use or watch in competitive Halo. But that's my opinion.. 

I agree with everything you said, but I feel just starting with a pistol isn't as appealing to me. Maybe if it was a 4 shot kill, this way its a 5 shot kill with 12 bullets in the clip.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BR requires more team shot at longer ranges though

With low AA the DMR is less random. At range you could be hitting only 1 or 2 shots and then its just a guessing game. Also when an opponent is no shield you can just sweep and get a headshot. Even if the DMR is easier to use in long range than the BR it's harder to use at close and medium so it's still more skillful overall IMO

A Needler fight

No, the needler is at least satisfying to get a kill with (although it's completely broken competitively). The AR is a nothing weapon. Not skillful to use, not fun to use, not fun to kill with, not fun to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So what happens if 343 aren't willing to make the pistol a 4sk, or buff it any further?

Rough times

giphy.gif

I'm willing to bet the pistol will be a 4sk in time, but that's not good enough imo. It really needs to be 4sk by day 1 (or at the very least, a better RoF and 15 shots before a reload on day 1). I really don't want to see mid-range fights turning in to AR battles, that'll really turn me off

No, the needler is at least satisfying to get a kill with (although it's completely broken competitively). The AR is a nothing weapon. Not skillful to use, not fun to use, not fun to kill with, not fun to watch.

SAW fights? ROCKET STARTS

Rough times

giphy.gif

I'm willing to bet the pistol will be a 4sk in time, but that's not good enough imo. It really needs to be 4sk by day 1 (or at the very least, a better RoF and 15 shots before a reload on day 1). I really don't want to see mid-range fights turning in to AR battles, that'll really turn me off

But, I mean, what if the pistol is as powerful now than they want it ever. What happens then? No 4sk ever type of thing.

DMR/Pistol starts is the way to go. Remove automatics from the maps. Buff pistol to 4 shots. Problems solved. You spawn with a gun to defend yourself at all ranges with and got the pistol as a quicker closer range alternative as well.

Either way all of the precision weapons need to be buffed. What about dropping the shots to kill with the pistol to 3 and the dmr to 4? With so many ways to get away the precision wealons need to be able to kill fast and a 3sk pistol solves that while still being difficult to use.

I still to this day feel like having AR's as a starting weapon dumbs down the gameplay. There is no skill involved with automatic weapons in Halo. Thus those weapons should either be a niche weapon in competitive play that can be picked up here and there and at some ranges be as effective but not more than the primary utility weapon (which in my opinion should be the BR as it's great at close to mid-range and requires teamwork and skill at longer ranges due to descope and not being as strong at longer ranges) or just not be in play since we don't need them in competitive due to the overlap between them and utility weapons which are more skillful. I feel that putting the Pistol with 4sk as an option was the ideal compromise between the competitive and casual community so everyone voted for that, but if that wasn't an option which for now we don't know if it is, because 343i hasn't mentioned anything about buffing the pistol, I feel that people would lean much more towards the BR. Remember that we need a weapon that can contest the sniper at longer ranges, not huge ranges but mid to long range which I feel the BR was great at yet the Pistol doesn't seem to be able to do that but I may be wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still think 1 weapon starts are the way to go. That's way if you want any sort of advantage over the enemy you have to go and get another gun. You don't just spawn with it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

With low AA the DMR is less random. At range you could be hitting only 1 or 2 shots and then its just a guessing game. Also when an opponent is no shield you can just sweep and get a headshot. Even if the DMR is easier to use in long range than the BR it's harder to use at close and medium so it's still more skillful overall IMO

The BR at longer ranges was very consistent in H2a, H4 and H5. The H2 and H3 BR's at longer ranges were a complete guessing game however. It could be argued that the DMR is harder to use at closer to mid ranges, but the personal preference of the majority is the BR so we 100% wont go down the route of the DMR either way. I do agree with you though.

SAW fights? ROCKET STARTS

SAW fights end quickly. Rocket fights are... sort of interesting to see how the players try to juke each other and where they place their rockets.

Are we done now? The AR is satan.

Rough times

giphy.gif

I completely agree, I am literally disgusted when someone is using the AR in competitive play since it literally requires no aim at all. You just put it on someone and hold the trigger. So unless the pistol is good enough to the point where you can win the battle at any range with it against the AR even if you miss 1 shot I wont be satisfied. Even then the pistol should have 3 kills in it, not 2 and 2 more shots after if you hit perfect shots which for the first time in a long time seems like it wont be easy to do. If we decide to increase the RoF and make it 15 shots then it is the DMR just shorter range and less empowering weapon model. If we make it a 4sk then it is a less empowering version of the BR for me, but I will settle for that as long as it beats the AR EVERY time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what happens if 343 aren't willing to make the pistol a 4sk, or buff it any further?

This is what a lot of us have been thinking which is why I don't know why it is an option in the poll unless Simms has some #Intel ;)

SAW fights end quickly. Rocket fights are... sort of interesting to see how the players try to juke each other and where they place their rockets.

Are we done now? The AR is satan.

Haha I know I know I'm against it as well.

The BR at longer ranges was very consistent in H2a, H4 and H5. The H2 and H3 BR's at longer ranges were a complete guessing game however. It could be argued that the DMR is harder to use at closer to mid ranges, but the personal preference of the majority is the BR so we 100% wont go down the route of the DMR either way. I do agree with you though.

If we are talking about what's best for competitive other than the pistol it is the DMR. I know what you are saying though, the majority of Halo players want the BR and it will be hard to get them to change their ways.

Before this begins I want to point out the reason we used BR starts in the first place; SMGs in H2 forced us to because they were ridiculously weak. So now we need to ask the question:

"Do we need to change the default starting weapons for the game to be viable competitively?"

I think the answer is an obvious no with how the Pistol is looking. And for those saying we have to have DMR or BR starts, please consider strongly the enormous potential competitive Halo has now that there is no divide in social and competitive gametypes. Casuals can now seamlessly transition to competitive without being jarred by being forced to use BRs.

And for kill times Too fast > Too slow, so 4sk Pistol got my vote. I do however think it would make BR/DMR/LR extremely niche which 343 won't want to do - they have made it pretty clear they want good sandbox variety, so the most realistic option is probably Pistol + nerfed AR.

First reply to the thread seems to nail it perfectly. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

DMR/Pistol starts is the way to go. Remove automatics from the maps. Buff pistol to 4 shots. Problems solved. You spawn with a gun to defend yourself at all ranges with and got the pistol as a quicker closer range alternative as well.

That's already been tried in Halo Reach, and we all know how that turned out.

Its range is simply too high, leading to a lot of cross map sniping.

• Upvote (+1) 1