TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

AR and a much stronger pistol.

Never thought I'd see the day, yet here we are. 

Yes. So we push for the best possible starting weapons. IMO a buffed pistol and the current AR. We find the best weapon and power weapon/ups layout for each map. Ideally we get rid of sprint but again don't see it happening. Anyways we try to make these settings the same across the board for HCS and the default TS and OBJ playlists. So your standard player is playing the same maps, with the same weapons and same rules. Ideally the only difference would be radar.

I'm still skeptical about an AR as a starting weapon in this game. It kills faster than the CE version and the pistol is weaker than the CE version. That's kinda sketch.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You need a competitive game first. That's how you get viewers to watch it.

That's not true at all. Many competitive titles that take miles more skill than popular eSports today have failed. What you need is a game that is fun, popular, and competitive. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's not true at all. Many competitive titles that take miles more skill than popular eSports today have failed. What you need is a game that is fun, popular, and competitive.

Really? Because a lot of fun competitive games fail too. If the game itself isn't good people won't watch it. Most people who watch the games play the games. If the game is bad and they don't play it why would they watch it?

My entire point was as a backup in case the game isnt good and they refuse to fix the vanilla game. I'm not pushing for anything. I never said we needed an isolated playlist. I said it was an option if the game was bad. Haven't we been pushing for a 4sk pistol the past like 20 pages? We all want it. But saying the same thing that has been said over and over is pointless. We already have pretty much spoken on what settings we want ideally. If that doesn't happen that's where my recommendation comes in. As a back up. You always need a back up plan.

I understand, but it's never pointless.

I'm sure the few people over at 343 who browse these forums realize that if a majority of competitive-oriented people feel like a certain change is needed for the game, then something needs to happen. It's crucial not to give up at this point, because Halo 5 is shaping up to be amazing and there isn't much time left for launch. It just needs a few more changes.

Faster spawning power weapons would be the next big thing IMO. And something needs to be done about the plasma caster.

I understand, but it's never pointless.

I'm sure the few people over at 343 who browse these forums realize that if a majority of competitive-oriented people feel like a certain change is needed for the game, then something needs to happen. It's crucial not to give up at this point, because Halo 5 is shaping up to be amazing and there isn't much time left for launch. It just needs a few more changes.

Faster spawning power weapons would be the next big thing IMO. And something needs to be done about the plasma caster.

Alright I understand what you are saying. For now let's push for the best vanilla settings.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm still skeptical about an AR as a starting weapon in this game. It kills faster than the CE version and the pistol is weaker than the CE version. That's kinda sketch.

as long as you can miss one shot with the pistol and still kill an AR guy, then I let the casuals use their AR in competitive  

And something needs to be done about the plasma caster.

I don't think the caster needs any changes, it just needs to not be billed as a major power weapon. It's really just the new brute shot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

as long as you can miss one shot with the pistol and still kill an AR guy, then I let the casuals use their AR in competitive

With the low AA on the pistol idk if missing only 1 shot is enough.

I'd rather have BR starts, but AR&Pistol starts would be awesome if it was a 4 shot pistol. I don't think we should be looking at potential updates for weapons since we don't know if 343 has any plans for those updates. I'd like to know where the votes would go if AR&4skPistol wasn't an option.

I'd rather have BR starts, but AR&Pistol starts would be awesome if it was a 4 shot pistol. I don't think we should be looking at potential updates for weapons since we don't know if 343 has any plans for those updates. I'd like to know where the votes would go if AR&4skPistol wasn't an option.

DMR only. BR is too fluky

I don't think the caster needs any changes, it just needs to not be billed as a major power weapon. It's really just the new brute shot.

I'd consider that a change. I agree though.

Pretty much make it a tier 2 power weapon with maybe one less spare clip, so it's like 10 shots instead of 15? Or reduce the magazine size to 3 instead of 5, and give it 3 spare clips? I dunno.

Anyway I realize I derailed this a bit, this might be best kept for the H5 GD.

With the low AA on the pistol idk if missing only 1 shot is enough.

the way im thinking is the only time an AR should win in a fight is super close up. If it can't even prevail against a pistol at that range, then why even have an AR in the game? Realistically good players will either miss one, or no shots in medium to longish ranges. 

Really? Because a lot of fun competitive games fail too. If the game itself isn't good people won't watch it. Most people who watch the games play the games. If the game is bad and they don't play it why would they watch it?

Uh, I don't think you understand what constitutes a successful game. Who doesn't want to play a fun game? Fun encapsulates a bunch of qualities. You're speaking in contradictions. 

the way im thinking is the only time an AR should win in a fight is super close up. If it can't even prevail against a pistol at that range, then why even have an AR in the game? Realistically good players will either miss one, or no shots in medium to longish ranges.

I don't know I feel like pros would still miss a couple shots. Well that's the problem with autos. Giving them the ability to win with less skill is less competitive. In CE the AR was pretty useless as an actual weapon. It was good for it's added bonuses. If the give the AR faster melee or maybe even make holding it cancel power up animations I would say it would be fine. But having an actual auto weapon be viable is a slippery slope.

Uh, I don't think you understand what constitutes a successful game. Who doesn't want to play a fun game? Fun encapsulates a bunch of qualities. You're speaking in contradictions.

People who play eSports titles tend to play them for their competitive merit. If Halo 5 is an eSports title with non competitive settings people won't play it. If people don't play it people won't want to watch it either. You don't build a game with "views" in mind first. You build it for it's actual gameplay.

I don't know I feel like pros would still miss a couple shots. Well that's the problem with autos. Giving them the ability to win with less skill is less competitive. In CE the AR was pretty useless as an actual weapon. It was good for it's added bonuses. If the give the AR faster melee or maybe even make holding it cancel power up animations I would say it would be fine. But having an actual auto weapon be viable is a slippery slope.

I can see your concern, but I think the AR deserves to be good in its own niche.

And I was the one to say I want the AR to also have added bonuses like canceling power up animations and such, so I totally agree on that

I can see your concern, but I think the AR deserves to be good in its own niche.

And I was the one to say I want the AR to also have added bonuses like canceling power up animations and such, so I totally agree on that

I guess we shall see how it pans out. And good thinking with the animations stuff thats a solid idea!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

People who play eSports titles tend to play them for their competitive merit. If Halo 5 is an eSports title with non competitive settings people won't play it. If people don't play it people won't want to watch it either. You don't build a game with "views" in mind first. You build it for it's actual gameplay.

You build it to make a profit, which usually is whether or not it's fun. eSports is factored into that, but the way you're thinking about it is not how the game industry works. 

You build it to make a profit, which usually is whether or not it's fun. eSports is factored into that, but the way you're thinking about it is not how the game industry works.

It's how an eSports title works. Of course you want to maximize viewers but the game has to be competitive.

Pistol/AR, with the pistol brought up to a 4SK.

Extra notes; Getting a 4SK with the pistol needs to be difficult, and I don't think the Pistol rate of fire should be nerfed any further.

Why not just increase projectile speed of the Caster? Slow projectiles have always rendered weapons useless in Halo because people know how to strafe and the average encounter distance is too far.

The Caster, along with Plasma Rifle and Needler could be much more appropirately-effective if they just had faster projectiles.