TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

People are saying the default/universal settings should be competitive in the first place.

But they aren't in Halo that's the point. There's radars and auto weapon starts. Ideally it is better I agree having universal settings would be the best. But "social" halo is too far from being competitive right now.

You guys realize you are saying thy universal settings re more important than a good competitive playlist right? Do you realize how wrong that is?

Not sure what everyone wants, but me personally the entire game needs to be 4sk pistol/ar starts with competitive settings removing sprint and radar. The weapon/powerup layouts need to be perfect in every playlist and the same across the board...just like the goat halo. I can hop into any mode in H1 and the gameplay will be similar to how I play those maps without radar...it's the same guns, same powerups, same strategies to win. This is how halo 5 needs to be. There won't be any sacrifices being made if the game is done like this and done right. Competitive players and the non-competitive players would basically be playing the same game minus sprint and radar.

People are saying the default/universal settings should be competitive in the first place.

This.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No radar is a HUGE change you do know that right?

Yeah but its not nearly as huge as going from default TS to 'No sprint no abilities BR starts no radar different weapon layouts different movement speeds jump heights'. A team with good communication can make up for the loss of radar.

They go hand-in-hand. You cannot just sprout a competitive playlist and hope it succeeds with the 2 people who play it. It needs viewers to survive. Viewer majority will be casual players.

A game can be an eSports title much easier if the core gameplay is fun and popular. You can't make lemonade out of shit. Everyone will know.

You need a competitive game first. That's how you get viewers to watch it.

Yeah but its not nearly as huge as going from default TS to 'No sprint no abilities BR starts no radar different weapon layouts different movement speeds jump heights'. A team with good communication can make up for the loss of radar.

Have those settings ever hurt Halo before? Nope they actually INCREASED te viewership. Look at Reach.

Um...

When someone identifies Counter Strike, they don't talk about things like Deathmatch, Gun Game, or Prop Hunt, they talk about 5 v 5 bomb defuse.

The other game-modes are fun, sure, but they aren't considered a part of the core experience.

Agreed. I don't play CS (I know a bit from watching and reading) so I asked a coworker who has played it for a while (young kid) to explain it. He explained Bomb/Hostage and no other game types (honestly I assumed it didn't have any other as I've never seen them played).

I was asking him how it compares to CoD and Halo. While taking to each other about Halo it was clear that for him Halo was a lot of stuff. He loved SWAT, team snipes, and the competitive playlists.

My opinion, CS is viewed 99% of the time as one type of game type and that is the competitive one. Halo is much more diverse and what people associate Halo with is really varied.

Not sure what everyone wants, but me personally the entire game needs to be 4sk pistol/ar starts with competitive settings removing sprint and radar. The weapon/powerup layouts need to be perfect in every playlist and the same across the board...just like the goat halo. I can hop into any mode in H1 and the gameplay will be similar to how I play those maps without radar...it's the same guns, same powerups, same strategies to win. This is how halo 5 needs to be. There won't be any sacrifices being made if the game is done like this and done right. Competitive players and the non-competitive players would basically be playing the same game minus sprint and radar.

This.

I understand that and I agree with you. It's just as of right now, Halo 5 is not very competitive. If they aren't going to fix it we need a seperate playlist. That's what I'm saying.

Halo Reach had TS, Super Slayer and MLG. Outrageous. Then Halo 4 had TS, Turbo, Competitive settings. Smh. You were basically playing a different game depending on the playlist you hopped into and this didnt just apply to competitive gametypes alone. Crazy.

This.

Of course that would be ideal but I just don't see it happening. I feel like removing core features of the game like sprint would ultimately be more competitive but would turn a lot of casuals who don't know better (yet) away.

Of course that would be ideal but I just don't see it happening. I feel like removing core features of the game like sprint would ultimately be more competitive but would turn a lot of casuals who don't know better (yet) away.

So we compromise the competitive aspect for viewers? If you had to play the game for a living you would be okay with that? For $1 million?

I understand that and I agree with you. It's just as of right now, Halo 5 is not very competitive. If they aren't going to fix it we need a seperate playlist. That's what I'm saying.

343 is not going to make the competitive settings drastically different from default. That has been their goal since they started the HCS. They want everyone to be playing the same game minus a change or two. So if the default game is terrible, the competitive settings will be terrible as well. We need them to make a great game out the box so that when they turn off radar and sprint (hopefully) the game is good.

So we compromise the competitive aspect for viewers? 

we did this with Halo 4 and it backfired...badly. No way the competitive community accepts that kind of fate again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Again I am not advocating that we bring competitive Halo closer to the casual game. I am advocating that we bring the casual game closer to the competitive game.

But they aren't in Halo that's the point. There's radars and auto weapon starts. Ideally it is better I agree having universal settings would be the best. But "social" halo is too far from being competitive right now.

Well, people are pushing for precision weapons to be a bit better than automatics for that specific reason and 343 has acknowledged the removal of radar is needed for comp. Even at the invitational, it was blocked despite not having an UI option for it.

What's the problem here?

343 is not going to make the competitive settings drastically different from default. That has been their goal since they started the HCS. They want everyone to be playing the same game minus a change or two. So if the default game is terrible, the competitive settings will be terrible as well. We need them to make a great game out the box so that when they turn off radar and sprint (hopefully) the game is good.

And that is what I want. For it to be competitive right out if the box. But what if the settings are terrible? What if the base game sucks ass and they refuse to change the vanilla settings? Should we just say "damn sorry pro players you're stuck" or should they make a separate playlist (ideally)

No radar has been a staple in competitive halo, turning it off won't make non-competitive players hate hcs lol. Thsi would be the last thing I would worry about.

Well, people are pushing for precision weapons to be a bit better than automatics for that specific reason and 343 has acknowledged the removal of radar is needed for comp. Even at the invitational, it was blocked despite not having an UI option for it.

What's the problem here?

I think we all want the same thing we just are misunderstanding each other. My point was that if Halo 5 vanilla is ass and they refuse to change it THEN they should make a seperate playlist.

Again I am not advocating that we bring competitive Halo closer to the casual game. I am advocating that we bring the casual game closer to the competitive game.

So we are basically fighting for the same thing.

And that is what I want. For it to be competitive right out if the box. But what if the settings are terrible? What if the base game sucks ass and they refuse to change the vanilla settings? Should we just say "damn sorry pro players you're stuck" or should they make a separate playlist (ideally)

We will speak up about it, but at the end of the day...they run HCS and they make the game. It's all up to them and like I said, they have a philosophy on how how they want to run competitive halo...by making it as default as possible...so if the game sucks...we are fucked.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It would be nice if you would git gud

u wot m8?

1v1 me

smgs on ascension

In all seriousness, the pistol was my #1 ToD in the Beta. I love it, but I don't see why the AR has to be there. CQC  and mid range battles would be so much more interesting with a BR/Pistol instead of spray and pray. Promotes a higher skill gap (unlike SMGs being OP as fuck).

We will speak up about it, but at the end of the day...they run HCS and they make the game. It's all up to them and like I said, they have a philosophy on how how they want to run competitive halo...but making it as default as possible...so if the game sucks...we are fucked.

We are walking a thin line at this point. Let's hope the vanilla game is great.

I think we all want the same thing we just are misunderstanding each other. My point was that if Halo 5 vanilla is ass and they refuse to change it THEN they should make a seperate playlist.

But we aren't at that point right now. Halo 5 vanilla isn't set in stone, so why debate over speculation?

Push for a 4sk pistol instead of pushing for a potential playlist as a response for potential bad default settings in a potential future where 343 decides to ignore our weapon balance feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes. So we push for the best possible starting weapons. IMO a buffed pistol and the current AR. We find the best weapon and power weapon/ups layout for each map. Ideally we get rid of sprint but again don't see it happening. Anyways we try to make these settings the same across the board for HCS and the default TS and OBJ playlists. So your standard player is playing the same maps, with the same weapons and same rules. Ideally the only difference would be radar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But we aren't at that point right now. Halo 5 vanilla isn't set in stone, so why debate over speculation?

Push for a 4sk pistol instead of pushing for a potential playlist as a response for potential bad default settings in a potential future where 343 decides to ignore our weapon balance feedback.

My entire point was as a backup in case the game isnt good and they refuse to fix the vanilla game. I'm not pushing for anything. I never said we needed an isolated playlist. I said it was an option if the game was bad. Haven't we been pushing for a 4sk pistol the past like 20 pages? We all want it. But saying the same thing that has been said over and over is pointless. We already have pretty much spoken on what settings we want ideally. If that doesn't happen that's where my recommendation comes in. As a back up. You always need a back up plan.