TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

Have any of your posts ever added anything valuable to discussions?

Says the guy with 12 posts on this forum. Please read more discussions and participate before calling out @@Batchford who literally has a piss and shit bag beside his chair so he doesn't have to leave the forum to go to the bathroom

• Upvote (+1) 4

http://sketchtoy.com/65679604

If you buy CSGO, the experience you buy the game for is classic / competitive aka 5v5, bomb defuse. It is perceived as the 'core experience'

really? How is that the core experience? Because that's what pros play? Not everyone plays CS for that. That's why there are multiple playlists. There is no "core" way to play it.

Buffed Pistol/AR. Pistol should be the hardest precision weapon to use but the most rewarding. Leave BRs/DMRs on the map so that the option is there for less skilled players who might want to pick them up over the pistol. ARs so that super casual players who arent comfortable with any precision weapons have that option as well. The goal here is to make HCS accessible to everyone. If a casual player decides to try out comp Halo and is thrust into a situation where they are uncomfortable with starting weapons I doubt they will stick around long. If they have the option to use their AR they might try the pistol after playing a bit since its there in their pocket. The biggest thing is that the autos aren't better than the precision's in most situations though. Buff the pistol and leave everything else as is and I think we will see good results.

Buffed Pistol/AR. Pistol should be the hardest precision weapon to use but the most rewarding. Leave BRs/DMRs on the map so that the option is there for less skilled players who might want to pick them up over the pistol. ARs so that super casual players who arent comfortable with any precision weapons have that option as well. The goal here is to make HCS accessible to everyone. If a casual player decides to try out comp Halo and is thrust into a situation where they are uncomfortable with starting weapons I doubt they will stick around long. If they have the option to use their AR they might try the pistol after playing a bit since its there in their pocket. The biggest thing is that the autos aren't better than the precision's in most situations though. Buff the pistol and leave everything else as is and I think we will see good results.

If someone wants to try competitive Halo and they don't even understand the settings, then why are they trying the competitive game? You should have the actual knowledge of that playlist before you go in or you are hurting your team.

really? How is that the core experience? Because that's what pros play? Not everyone plays CS for that. That's why there are multiple playlists. There is no "core" way to play it.

It's perception, the majority play and more importantly view the game Counter-Strike as 5v5 bomb defusal. You're thinking of it in terms of Halo where there are multiple playlists of relatively equal stature, let me assure you as someone who has played CS for over a decade that this is not the case for this game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's perception, the majority play and more importantly view the game Counter-Strike as 5v5 bomb defusal. You're thinking of it in terms of Halo where there are multiple playlists of relatively equal stature, let me assure you as someone who has played CS for over a decade that this is not the case for this game.

Majority doesn't mean one aspect is more important than another. Sure more people play CS for the comp play, but not everyone does. What Halo is trying to do is the equivalent of if Cs were to only have the comp playlist. That's universal settings. But imagine that, instead of using comp settings they use the casual playlist settings to make it more "friendly". Do you see how that would be a problem?

I said BR only.

I would be okay with Pistol buff and a BR or just the pistol alone, but I feel like spectating would be better with the BR.

Um...

When someone identifies Counter Strike, they don't talk about things like Deathmatch, Gun Game, or Prop Hunt, they talk about 5 v 5 bomb defuse.

The other game-modes are fun, sure, but they aren't considered a part of the core experience.

Um...

When someone identifies Counter Strike, they don't talk about things like Deathmatch, Gun Game, or Prop Hunt, they talk about 5 v 5 bomb defuse.

The other game-modes are fun, sure, but they aren't considered a part of the core experience.

Again majority doesn't make something less important. If that were the case TS with radars would be Halo's core experience since it's the bigger playlist.

If someone wants to try competitive Halo and they don't even understand the settings, then why are they trying the competitive game? You should have the actual knowledge of that playlist before you go in or you are hurting your team.

I disagree. With a working skill ranking system this won't be a problem. If the competitive game is as close to the base game as possible then they will already understand a good portion of the competitive game. You aren't going to attract viewers and players if they tune into a tournament and it looks nothing like the game they are used to. The focus here should be to make the base game as close to what we want as possible. We will have to make a few sacrifices like sprint and abilities but in the grand scheme of things those are the things that we will have to accept if we want to see Halo at the scale it was in 2006-08.

EDIT: You want someone watching a tournament to say "Hey, I could be one of these guys playing right now" and maybe they will pick up the controller and hop into HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like spectating would be better with the BR.

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions with competitive halo. Viewers aren't going to care much about a weapon skin if the game sucks. The BR didn't do anything for H4's viewership. If the game is good ppl will watch it, regardless of what the utility weapon looks like. As long as it's universal and they can use that same starting weapon in whatever playlist they play, as long as there is familiarity and the game is good (i'm emphasizing the importance of this) ppl will watch the game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I disagree. With a working skill ranking system this won't be a problem. If the competitive game is as close to the base game as possible then they will already understand a good portion of the competitive game. You aren't going to attract viewers and players if they tune into a tournament and it looks nothing like the game they are used to. The focus here should be to make the base game as close to what we want as possible. We will have to make a few sacrifices like sprint and abilities but in the grand scheme of things those are the things that we will have to accept if we want to see Halo at the scale it was in 2006-08.

How do you know the "game they are used to". What if all they play is SWAT? Or Team snipers? Competitive playlists always have different rules than other playlists in FPS games. It doesn't make sense to combine them when the base game isn't competitive. Halo 5 is not competitive with what it has now. We all saw it. They either fix the entire game or they make a separate playlist. Even competitive cod has different settings than the social game.

Again majority doesn't make something less important. If that were the case TS with radars would be Halo's core experience since it's the bigger playlist.

You're reaaaaally gasping at straws here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're reaaaaally gasping at straws here.

Your argument was majority. That's majority. Why are we compromising the competitiveness of this game for the sake of viewership? Who cares about viewership when the game is ass as a competitive title?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Your argument was majority. That's majority. Why are we compromising the competitiveness of this game for the sake of viewership? Who cares about viewership when the game is ass as a competitive title?

In case you didn't notice, viewership and popularity is everything. 

You guys realize you are saying thy universal settings re more important than a good competitive playlist right? Do you realize how wrong that is?

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do you know the "game they are used to". What if all they play is SWAT? Or Team snipers? Competitive playlists always have different rules than other playlists in FPS games. It doesn't make sense to combine them when the base game isn't competitive. Halo 5 is not competitive with what it has now. We all saw it. They either fix the entire game or they make a separate playlist. Even competitive cod has different settings than the social game.

The most populated playlist in every Halo game is TS. The settings in TS and OBJ playlists should be nearly identical to HCS with the exception of Radar.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I disagree with this. I definitely got into CS GO from watching tournaments and seeing how fun and competitive it looked, despite how different it is from the default Deathmatch mode. As long as the game retains the same overall feeling between various modes, it makes all the small tricks and information you get from watching competitive players, applicable to your own play style, therefore much easier to learn and get into.

It's backwards to say you should learn a game before experiencing it for yourself.

The most populated playlist in every Halo game is TS. The settings in TS and OBJ playlists should be nearly identical to HCS with the exception of Radar.

No radar is a HUGE change you do know that right?

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions with competitive halo. Viewers aren't going to care much about a weapon skin if the game sucks. The BR didn't do anything for H4's viewership. If the game is good ppl will watch it, regardless of what the utility weapon looks like. As long as it's universal and they can use that same starting weapon in whatever playlist they play, as long as there is familiarity and the game is good (i'm emphasizing the importance of this) ppl will watch the game.

More nostalgia for me. Gimme them good old MLG halo 3 days. Like I said I'm fine either way and if the game is good the game is good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You guys realize you are saying thy universal settings re more important than a good competitive playlist right? Do you realize how wrong that is?

People are saying the default/universal settings should be competitive in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I disagree with this. I definitely got into CS GO from watching tournaments and seeing how fun and competitive it looked, despite how different it is from the default Deathmatch mode. As long as the game retains the same overall feeling between various modes, it makes all the small tricks and information you get from watching competitive players, applicable to your own play style, therefore much easier to learn and get into.

It's backwards to say you should learn a game before experiencing it for yourself.

It's called a competitive playlist for a reason. And guess what game makes you learn it before you play it competitively??? COUNTER STRIKE! Look at that!

How can you get viewership if the game sucks as a competitive title?

They go hand-in-hand. You cannot just sprout a competitive playlist and hope it succeeds with the 2 people who play it. It needs viewers to survive. Viewer majority will be casual players.

A game can be an eSports title much easier if the core gameplay is fun and popular. You can't make lemonade out of shit. Everyone will know.