TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

Halo 5 actually has a ranking and skill matching system, and no one is being forced to play HCS. So no, the AR isn't needed at all to ease newcomers in or whatever.

We didn't like the H2 noob combo either. Competitive should be as skill based as possible, the ar defeats this purpose. The ar is just way to easy to be used seriously. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would rather play with only pistols grenades and powerups over whatever the hell this game is now. And that is sad.

I'm not too bothered by it. I know I'll eat my words and rage everytime I choke and some AR scrub bumrushes me and I choke, but if Magnum/AR starts help bolster the population count, I'll take it. If the population drops significantly come Season 2, axe the AR and go Magnum only, as the AR obviously is not drawing more players to the playlist.

I'm not too bothered by it. I know I'll eat my words and rage everytime I choke and some AR scrub bumrushes me and I choke, but if Magnum/AR starts help bolster the population count, I'll take it. If the population drops significantly come Season 2, axe the AR and go Magnum only, as the AR obviously is not drawing more players to the playlist.

Tbh the AR is the least concerning one but ideally I wouldn't want it. That wouldn't stop me from playing. It's mainly all the other rifles and the smg that are just too random for me.

But remember pros are playing this game for a lot of money and every death matters. One fluky weapon can eff up the whole game for some teams.

Why do you want scrubs killing you? People who prefer the AR generally aren't competitive anyways so they won't even participate in the scene. Why are we catering to them?

We didn't like the H2 noob combo either. Competitive should be as skill based as possible, the ar defeats this purpose. The ar is just way to easy to use to be use seriously. 

As I said, a properly tuned Magnum with a 4sk @ ~1.0s flat would smoke the AR in almost all scenarios given it be in the hands of a competent player. That ~0.2s difference between the two Opt TTKs would be a major factor weighing in favor of the Magnum at high levels. Thus, at high levels, the AR would rarely be used except in the most niche of situations.

AR should be in for Season 1, and if it doesn't draw players like 343i probably expects it too, then it should be axed.

All the same, I'd like to see the Magnum/AR be the universal settings in the other playlists.

As I said, a properly tuned Magnum with a 4sk @ ~1.0s flat would smoke the AR in almost all scenarios given it be in the hands of a competent player. That ~0.2s difference between the two Opt TTKs would be a major factor weighing in favor of the Magnum at high levels. Thus, at high levels, the AR would rarely be used except in the most niche of situations.

AR should be in for Season 1, and if it doesn't draw players like 343i probably expects it too, then it should be axed.

All the same, I'd like to see the Magnum/AR be the universal settings in the other playlists.

The only problem with making everything pistol/AR is that the casual fans HATE precision weapon spawns. If you asked for BR/AR starts they would tear you apart. If social spawns with a pistol they will complain about it to no end I guarantee it.

Why do you want scrubs killing you? People who prefer the AR generally aren't competitive anyways so they won't even participate in the scene. Why are we catering to them?

I'm admitting they'll kill me because my aim is attrocious and I'm a choke artist. I don't mind it so much though if it means a larger population in the HCS playlist. Again, at the higher levels, if the Magnum is balanced appropriately, the AR becomes a moot issue as it is outclassed significantly by a 1.0s 4sk Magnum.

The only problem with making everything pistol/AR is that the casual fans HATE precision weapon spawns. If you asked for BR/AR starts they would tear you apart. If social spawns with a pistol they will complain about it to no end I guarantee it.

Well they can't have their cake and eat it too. They should shove it and be glad they're getting a pairing where AR hacks will dominate against everyone except skilled players. With BR or DMR paired with AR starts, the AR hacks will cry till they're blue in the face because every half decent kid will be ripping their faces off with the easy to use precision weapons.

Magnum/AR is the best win-win for both communities. Sadly the Waypointers will never be able to see that for what it is.

Time out you guys know casual fans DO NOT WANT A PISTOL START. They want a full auto and then they want to scavenge. All that's gonna happen in social is people will kill AR users with their pistol and they will want it nerfed or removed. Literally no one is winning.

The Invitational gameplay looked like some high level Team Slayer streaming instead of MLG/HCS gameplay.

Thats literally what I said to my friend, its depressing but accurate - at least the build in the invitational. I have a sliver of hope.

Time out you guys know casual fans DO NOT WANT A PISTOL START. They want a full auto and then they want to scavenge. All that's gonna happen in social is people will kill AR users with their pistol and they will want it nerfed or removed. Literally no one is winning.

While you arent wrong, this is why we must have a separation between HCS and Social, that shows a big differentiation in the necessity of skill to succeed.

Well they can't have their cake and eat it too. They should shove it and be glad they're getting a pairing where AR hacks will dominate against everyone except skilled players. With BR or DMR paired with AR starts, the AR hacks will cry till they're blue in the face because every half decent kid will be ripping their faces off with the easy to use precision weapons.

Magnum/AR is the best win-win for both communities. Sadly the Waypointers will never be able to see that for what it is.

This is why universal settings are a nightmare and ideally Ty would just separate the 2. The bridge between social Halo and competitive Halo is almost as big as COD fans and Battlefield fans.

I'm admitting they'll kill me because my aim is attrocious and I'm a choke artist. I don't mind it so much though if it means a larger population in the HCS playlist. Again, at the higher levels, if the Magnum is balanced appropriately, the AR becomes a moot issue as it is outclassed significantly by a 1.0s 4sk Magnum.

But then the maps are litered with even more powerful autos so it doesn't matter.

Not only do we want new players feel welcome to the playlist, but the viewers too ..

We want someone to play TS, watch HCS and know that Snipedown can use his AR.

Not only do we want new players feel welcome to the playlist, but the viewers too ..

Not going to happen. Anyone who cares if someone can use an AR isn't going to be watching.

Are we going to have radar enabled as well because that is a much larger barrier to entry than an AR is.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is why universal settings are a nightmare and ideally Ty would just separate the 2. The bridge between social Halo and competitive Halo is almost as big as COD fans and Battlefield fans.

Magnum/AR is the best middle ground settings to appease both sides of the fanbase. The AR is strong and dominant in the lower (no) skilled brackets, while the Magnum dominates the higher skill brackets. Higher skill individuals in the lower tier brackets should quickly rank up and out towards Magnum centric brackets as they'll destroy AR kids. We'll have our split, and it'll be a split based on merit of skill, not by playlist preference.... Of course, that's if the ranking system actually WORKS! :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

But then the maps are litered with even more powerful autos so it doesn't matter.

The maps shouldn't be. ARs should not be placed on maps, as players spawn with them. The SMG and PR, being essentially lower-tier power weapons with their ~0.8s Opt TTKs should be limitted to a max of TWO (in total combination) per map. Automatics would not be litered around the map. Nor should they be.

The weapons placed on the map isn't even a part of this discussion! What are you smoking man?

Magnum/AR is the best middle ground settings to appease both sides of the fanbase. The AR is strong and dominant in the lower (no) skilled brackets, while the Magnum dominates the higher skill brackets. Higher skill individuals in the lower tier brackets should quickly rank up and out towards Magnum centric brackets as they'll destroy AR kids. We'll have our split, and it'll be a split based on merit of skill, not by playlist preference.... Of course, that's if the ranking system actually WORKS! :/

It's just a weird scenario. A lot of competitive fans don't want the AR and a lot of casual fans don't want a pistol. We are basically forcing people to compromise instead of just separating the two.

I see how ranked will work I get that the skilled people will just climb up and the AR will pretty much be a non factor. But in social where most casuals play they are screwed. Pub stompers now get a utility weapon off spawn in social (which never happened before except Halo 4 which was ALWAYS social) and they can really shred. No more having to get a rifle. If we can't keep both communities happy with the same settings then why have the same settings? This is all speculation of course I'm not saying it won't work this is just a worry I have.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but even if pistol gets buffed to 4sk, that doesn't mean every AR vs. pistol battle will go in the pistol user's favor. If a casual player gets the drop on a pro and keeps a steady aim, they'll win. The pro can't react within 0.2 seconds. Just as well, if the pro misses shots because the pistol is very tough to aim (they missed shots in the invitational, after all), the casual may still have a chance since the AR is easier to aim. So in that way the weapons will still be very balanced. It won't be as if the pistol can kill at Optimal TTK twice as fast as AR or anything.

Speaking of, someone posted about the Average TTK vs Optimal TTK. Just because the pistol theoretically can ALWAYS win against the AR definitely doesn't mean it will--so it having a faster TTK than the assault rifle shouldn't actually be that big of a problem for social playlists anyway, I'd imagine?

Well, that's one social player's thoughts on the issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

:wutface:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but even if pistol gets buffed to 4sk, that doesn't mean every AR vs. pistol battle will go in the pistol user's favor. If a casual player gets the drop on a pro and keeps a steady aim, they'll win. The pro can't react within 0.2 seconds. Just as well, if the pro misses shots because the pistol is very tough to aim (they missed shots in the invitational, after all), the casual may still have a chance since the AR is easier to aim. So in that way the weapons will still be very balanced. It won't be as if the pistol can kill atOptimal TTK twice as fast as AR or anything.

Someone posted about the Average TTK vs Optimal TTK. Just because the pistol theoretically can ALWAYS win against the AR definitely doesn't mean it will--so it having a faster TTK than the assault rifle shouldn't actually be that big of a problem for social playlists anyway, I'd imagine?

Well, that's one social player's thoughts on the issue.

EXACTLY YOU UNDERSTAND
  • Upvote (+1) 1

With a 1.0s 4SK Magnum, in the hands of a skilled enough player, it will be rare to see another player (equally skilled or  otherwise) want to challenge with an AR. It's a 1.0s Opt TTK versus a 1.2s Opt TTK. The magnum has the significant advantage in high skill level brackets as players are capable of consistently netting kills close to the Opt TTK.

The AR is completely outclassed and marginalized. It doesn't matter for the higher end players. It's moot. It's next to useless.

I would rather see people using an easier to use BR than what I saw at gamescon.

Why would you actually want an easier to use BR?¿

EDIT: Did you mean you would rather watch BR gameplay than the gamescom gameplay? If so I can't fault you there. I definitely didn't enjoy watching empire matches. But for me personally I think that had more to do with how horrid that map plays with the new weapon set they threw on it.